Author Topic: Adam Lallana  (Read 586790 times)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Adam Lallana
« Reply #3640 on: March 11, 2019, 11:42:25 am »
Brilliant yesterday as I fully expected him to bebwhen he was fully fit. He’s been ravaged since Bayern Munich friendly

This forum has been unexplainable and really shocked me with it’s usually decent knowledge of football. He’s vital to us

If plays like that against Bayern he'd cause their defenders and midfielders no ends of problems. They'd struggle with his skill on the ball and would find to hard to play out from their back 2.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3641 on: March 11, 2019, 11:48:02 am »
I think the whole Lallana thing could be a massive advantage to us in the run in because it will hopefully spur the likes of Keita, Oxlade and Shaqiri to better things.

I've thought this too. Yesterday was an epitome of what we want from a No.8 in this system. It was immeasurably better than what we've seen on other occasions recently.

To be fair Milner was great against Watford in a similar position and Wijnaldum did really well against Bournemouth in an attacking sense. Keita did pretty well in that game also.

It's that inconsistency of performance of that 3rd midfielder that seems our biggest midfield issue. We just need someone to step up and contribute over the next 8-9 games. That could be Lallana. It could be Milner. It could be Keita. Could even be Shaqiri. We just need one of them to hit a rich vein of form and it could be the difference maker. Be great if we saw 2 or 3 of them really step things up since it could be a defining factor in our season.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3642 on: March 11, 2019, 12:09:32 pm »
Yesterday was just a frustrating reminder of what we've been missing out on whilst he's been injured.

He was absolutely top class for us during the first half of the 16/17 season, and he can still be that player for us when he's fit. If he can stay fit now until May, it'll make a big difference to our title push, because he's a brilliant player in Klopp's preferred 4-3-3.

All of that said, he'll get injured again before too long. Sorry, but it's the same as Sturridge. He's been injured too regularly for too long now, and there's no reason to think it'll stop. Real shame for the lad, and for us.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #3643 on: March 11, 2019, 12:39:22 pm »
;D Think that's slightly overboard, he was good but brilliant is pushing it and he's in absolutely no way vital to us. Our midfield with him in it will look better than the 3 water carrier type mids we often field though.

I will concede maybe he himself is t vital but the 1 in there with 2 water carriers as you say IS vital

So him or Shaqiri. God knows what Shaqiris done wrong

And we’ll have to agree to disagree about him being brilliant yesterday. He was
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3644 on: March 11, 2019, 12:41:51 pm »
It would not surprise me if he's given a start against Bayern although that game will be a lot more intense in midfield than against Burnley.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #3645 on: March 11, 2019, 12:51:34 pm »
It would not surprise me if he's given a start against Bayern although that game will be a lot more intense in midfield than against Burnley.
Good, we'll probably see the return of geggenpressing which I think we all noticed disappeared to an extent this season - largely due to Adam not being around to lead the hunt.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3646 on: March 11, 2019, 01:05:26 pm »

It would surprise me. I'm sure he still needs to be 'cultivated' a bit given his injury record. He'll start the next league fixture I reckon. Against Bayern it may be Keita though? Give those German lads something to think about.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3647 on: March 11, 2019, 01:07:36 pm »
It would surprise me. I'm sure he still needs to be 'cultivated' a bit given his injury record. He'll start the next league fixture I reckon. Against Bayern it may be Keita though? Give those German lads something to think about.

I agree with that, I think Keita should play in this one.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3648 on: March 11, 2019, 01:17:51 pm »
People raving about his pressing and his technique. Both are true.

But what really stood out is his off-the-ball movement. When we were building the play, he'd drop deep to make himself available for a pass and knit the play together. When we were in the final third, he was making runs in between the lines or down the wings (he found himself on the left wing with acres of space very early on the game). Just a marvelous footballer and honestly, the reason he hasn't shone this season is he hasn't played in the midfield. He's the perfect midfielder to complement any combination of Fabinho/Gini/Hendo/Keita/Milner.

Hope to see him a lot, lot more in midfield this season. Honestly feel it'll define our title challenge as our midfield has been problematic throughout the season (despite what our league position suggests).
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3649 on: March 11, 2019, 01:34:15 pm »
If Gareth Southgate picks him for England I hope Klopp chins him next time he sees him.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #3650 on: March 11, 2019, 01:40:45 pm »
People raving about his pressing and his technique. Both are true.

But what really stood out is his off-the-ball movement. When we were building the play, he'd drop deep to make himself available for a pass and knit the play together. When we were in the final third, he was making runs in between the lines or down the wings (he found himself on the left wing with acres of space very early on the game). Just a marvelous footballer and honestly, the reason he hasn't shone this season is he hasn't played in the midfield. He's the perfect midfielder to complement any combination of Fabinho/Gini/Hendo/Keita/Milner.

Hope to see him a lot, lot more in midfield this season. Honestly feel it'll define our title challenge as our midfield has been problematic throughout the season (despite what our league position suggests).

I hope he doesn't become "that" player who is recognised for having off the ball movement. The last one was Borini.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #3651 on: March 11, 2019, 01:56:14 pm »

He's due a goal too.
#JFT97

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3652 on: March 11, 2019, 01:58:25 pm »
I thought Klopp's comments about how well he trained in the week to justify his selection was interesting. Bit of a message to those outside the first team perhaps - show me I can trust you, show me you can fit in when it's asked of you sort of thing.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3653 on: March 11, 2019, 02:00:51 pm »
I hope he doesn't become "that" player who is recognised for having off the ball movement. The last one was Borini.
was borne out of a game against young boys i reckon. we won 5-3

few of the goals he was running and dragging players out of the way clearing the path

only game he did it though

he was a headless chicken
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3654 on: March 11, 2019, 02:28:56 pm »
All I wanna do when I watch the game is see you Cruyff
Lallana, Lallana
I never thought that you'd come back from injury, Lallana

Firmino all the way
Firmino all the way, Lallana, yeah
Better looking than Samie.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3655 on: March 11, 2019, 02:32:05 pm »
Toto - I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3656 on: March 11, 2019, 03:09:31 pm »

I'm struggling to see the comparison or concern here. Borini was a forward with the ability of a wet fart once his admittedly sharp movement had helped him receive the ball. Lallana isn't exactly Mr. Clinical in terms of goalscoring or chance creation, but we've seen more than enough of him to know he's very talented with the ball at his feet. More to the point, he doesn't *need* to be clinical if he's progressing the ball to our forwards, because unlike Borini they are reasonably clinical.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #3657 on: March 11, 2019, 03:21:29 pm »
Good, we'll probably see the return of geggenpressing which I think we all noticed disappeared to an extent this season - largely due to Adam not being around to lead the hunt.
Seems to myself that klopp alters our set up or maybe just the way we play with Lallana and imo it suits us much better with the attacking talent we have plus the much improved defense

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #3658 on: March 11, 2019, 03:23:26 pm »
If Gareth Southgate picks him for England I hope Klopp chins him next time he sees him.

Lallana needs to retire from international football at this stage

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3659 on: March 11, 2019, 03:29:30 pm »
He wakes up early every morning
Just to do his hair now
Because he cares y'all

His day oh wouldn't be right
Without some keepy ups
He's always doing keepy ups

He's just like you and me
But he's Jurgen's, he's Jurgen's
As he stands there passing to Mane

La da dee
Lallana
La da dee
Lallana

Offline ArthurDent

• Knows where his towel is!
  • Kopite
« Reply #3660 on: March 11, 2019, 03:30:24 pm »
Good, solid game. Maybe its my imagination but he appeared a lot more confident (and hence productive) after he swept the ball right before our first goal.
"Stop thinking about money. Only think about football." Jürgen Klopp 9th Oct 2015.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #3661 on: March 11, 2019, 03:33:45 pm »
Seems to myself that klopp alters our set up or maybe just the way we play with Lallana and imo it suits us much better with the attacking talent we have plus the much improved defense

It does but in big games this season against teams that are more likely to keep it on the floor we missed having both him and Bobby making those vital ball recoveries in opposition half from which we were known to cause some real damage as it played right down to our main strengths. We could really use having both of them on the pitch vs the likes of Bayern, Chelsea and Spurs.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #3662 on: March 11, 2019, 03:54:56 pm »
He was really impressive yesterday and I think that was down to fitness. He looked the fittest he has been in a while since he came into the team - not sure if this is his longest run without an injury this season but he looked like someone who was confident in his fitness.

A fit Lallana is definitely a bonus to the squad for these last few months.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3663 on: March 11, 2019, 04:14:55 pm »
He wakes up early every morning
Just to do his hair now
Because he cares y'all

His day oh wouldn't be right
Without some keepy ups
He's always doing keepy ups

He's just like you and me
But he's Jurgen's, he's Jurgen's
As he stands there passing to Mane

La da dee
Lallana
La da dee
Lallana

You're fucking bonkers PoP. And when you finally pop your clogs you'll be melted down and turned into a waxwork model of Adam Lallana.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3664 on: March 11, 2019, 04:14:58 pm »
Except he didn't just work 'real hard', did he? He played well in most facets of the game, exemplified by him touching and passing the ball more than Fabinho. That's pretty rare for any of our number 8's when we use the 1-2 midfield shape.

I don't think Lallana's performance was exceptional and I also don't think we should get too carried away as, unfortunately, an injury is only around the corner with fragile players like him. That said, it was definitely the type of 8/10 playmaking performance we've been lacking the majority of this season. You can't have three midfielders who only want to recycle the ball. At some point there needs to be a player in there who demands and keeps it.

To do this down as simply 'working hard' deliberately underplays how comfortable and proficient he is on the ball, and how carefully and cleverly he uses it. It also underplays how much emphasis Klopp places on his midfielders working hard. Next time you query why Keita isn't in the side, you should bare this in mind. He was dispossessed twice and had two unsuccessful touches in 14 minutes after replacing Lallana (who had one of each in 76 minutes), and our midfield represented the Grand Canyon at times.

Wow.  Do you work for a football club?  If not then you may need to find your true calling.  Your knowledge of game state, how substitutions can affect game state and how the team overall is then affected seems unsurpassed. 

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3665 on: March 11, 2019, 04:23:54 pm »
You're fucking bonkers PoP. And when you finally pop your clogs you'll be melted down and turned into a waxwork model of Adam Lallana Colin Pascoe's Speedos.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3666 on: March 11, 2019, 04:30:14 pm »
Wow.  Do you work for a football club?  If not then you may need to find your true calling.  Your knowledge of game state, how substitutions can affect game state and how the team overall is then affected seems unsurpassed.

I just watch football matches and look at stats, rather than simply doing the latter. You should try it sometime.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3667 on: March 11, 2019, 04:44:27 pm »
I just watch football matches and look at stats, rather than simply doing the latter. You should try it sometime.

Yeah, I'd say it's more than that.  Being able to correctly interpret after both teams make personnel changes and the game state has changed what is working and not working in all of a 15 minute span is a skill most managers would kill for.  Does Klopp correspond with you before setting the line-ups or it just substitutions?  If he's not you may want to reach out to the club as you have a one in a million type of skill at minimum.  Could certainly be worth a lot of money to another club if they're too short sighted.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3668 on: March 11, 2019, 04:46:49 pm »
Yeah, I'd say it's more than that.  Being able to correctly interpret after both teams make personnel changes and the game state has changed what is working and not working in all of a 15 minute span is a skill most managers would kill for. Does Klopp correspond with you before setting the line-ups or it just substitutions?  If he's not you may want to reach out to the club as you have a one in a million type of skill at minimum.  Could certainly be worth a lot of money to another club if they're too short sighted.

Most managers have that. Even at semi-pro levels. Being able to do something about it is another story, though.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3669 on: March 11, 2019, 04:56:06 pm »
Yeah, I'd say it's more than that.  Being able to correctly interpret after both teams make personnel changes and the game state has changed what is working and not working in all of a 15 minute span is a skill most managers would kill for.  Does Klopp correspond with you before setting the line-ups or it just substitutions?  If he's not you may want to reach out to the club as you have a one in a million type of skill at minimum.  Could certainly be worth a lot of money to another club if they're too short sighted.

I'm not quite sure why this observation has upset you so much.

Did we look more open after Lallana and Wijnaldum were subbed? My opinion is yes, absolutely.

Why?

I would suggest Fabinho being booked around 70 minutes did not help. I don't think he had his best game yesterday regardless, but obviously that limited his ability to compete man-to-man. But I'd also suggest Henderson and Keita coming onto the pitch with fresh legs and - you would assume - a mindset to impress the manager ahead of Wednesday inadvertently made us more open, too. Both put themselves about a fair bit accordingly, winning a few tackles, but I don't personally believe they were doing so in the 'right' areas as Lallana and Wijnaldum had. Henderson failed to protect Trent as well as Wijnaldum had, giving them even more joy down that side, and Keita played in his usual lackadaisical way, giving the ball away cheaply a couple of times and doing very little to protect the edge of our box when they crossed the ball from the flanks. Ultimately we were less compact.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:57:58 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3670 on: March 11, 2019, 05:11:18 pm »
Most managers have that. Even at semi-pro levels. Being able to do something about it is another story, though.

You say that yet I have seen very little evidence that managers do.  Otherwise you'd find that substitutions would be much more effective than they typically are no? 

I'm not quite sure why this observation has upset you so much.

Did we look more open after Lallana and Wijnaldum were subbed? My opinion is yes, absolutely.

Why?

I would suggest Fabinho being booked around 70 minutes did not help. I don't think he had his best game yesterday regardless, but obviously that limited his ability to compete man-to-man. But I'd also suggest Henderson and Keita coming onto the pitch with fresh legs and - you would assume - a mindset to impress the manager ahead of Wednesday inadvertently made us more open, too. Both put themselves about a fair bit accordingly, winning a few tackles, but I don't personally believe they were doing so in the 'right' areas as Lallana and Wijnaldum had. Henderson failed to protect Trent as well as Wijnaldum had, giving them even more joy down that side, and Keita played in his usual lackadaisical way, giving the ball away cheaply a couple of times and doing very little to protect the edge of our box when they crossed the ball from the flanks. Ultimately we were less compact.

You're the one responding to my comment about fan reaction as if I'm viewing it as a personal affront to Keita or something?  The fact that you then even explained why player X was worse is even weirder still.  I'm just laughing but keep writing whatever you wish.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3671 on: March 11, 2019, 05:16:19 pm »

You're the one responding to my comment about fan reaction as if I'm viewing it as a personal affront to Keita or something?  The fact that you then even explained why player X was worse is even weirder still.  I'm just laughing but keep writing whatever you wish.

Small minds are easily amused.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3672 on: March 11, 2019, 05:18:10 pm »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3673 on: March 11, 2019, 05:22:50 pm »
LOL

Another one billllllion dollar response.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3674 on: March 11, 2019, 05:27:32 pm »
Another one billllllion dollar response.

Rigghhhttt....

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #3675 on: March 11, 2019, 06:00:13 pm »
think having him on the pitch gets the best out of Bobby too as it allows Bobby to press higher up the pitch
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #3676 on: March 11, 2019, 06:05:16 pm »
He was good, wasn't he.
And in short, I was afraid

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3677 on: March 11, 2019, 06:07:19 pm »
think having him on the pitch gets the best out of Bobby too as it allows Bobby to press higher up the pitch

It was the conversation he was having with Mane in the second half that was really noticeable. When a player like Lallana is on the pitch he has a greater sense of what is possible than someone like Henderson. Because he's extremely comfortable taking the ball in what looks like a crowded area he knows - or at least expects - that his teammates are too. So in the second half he kept feeding Mane passes which other midfielders would have declined ("too difficult for the receiver").

This is partly what makes great teams. It isn't so much that players have the mythical telepathic understanding. It's the simple fact that they have raised expectations of what is possible as a team based on their own skill as individuals.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3678 on: March 11, 2019, 07:01:43 pm »
You say that yet I have seen very little evidence that managers do.  Otherwise you'd find that substitutions would be much more effective than they typically are no? 

Two things. Firstly, you're assuming your knowledge of the game is equal to theirs. It's not. Your vision of the game is severely limited by your knowledge of the game and your experience in it - as it is for probably 90% of all spectators. Secondly, I did say "seeing it and changing it are two different things". You can only make effective changes if you have the players to make effective changes with.

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
« Reply #3679 on: March 11, 2019, 07:22:49 pm »
It was the conversation he was having with Mane in the second half that was really noticeable. When a player like Lallana is on the pitch he has a greater sense of what is possible than someone like Henderson. Because he's extremely comfortable taking the ball in what looks like a crowded area he knows - or at least expects - that his teammates are too. So in the second half he kept feeding Mane passes which other midfielders would have declined ("too difficult for the receiver").

This is partly what makes great teams. It isn't so much that players have the mythical telepathic understanding. It's the simple fact that they have raised expectations of what is possible as a team based on their own skill as individuals.
Bit of a shame you somehow put Jordan in that nice post of yours. They have utterly different functions in the game. You just cant control a ball in crowded area in front of of the defence. You can do it furder forward as there is no risk to lose it. I think you are harsh to compare Hendo and Lallana recieving balls in totally diferent spaces. Even Klopp said he doesnt like his controlling midfielder taking any chance while getting a ball from defenders.

We know Adam is much more technical than Jordan - but would you like to see Lallana playing holding midfield, turning left right and centre? I deffo wouldnt.