Author Topic: Gerrard  (Read 134546 times)

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
Re: Gerrard
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2011, 10:39:10 pm »
To me, only the last sentence is wrong..
On second reading, the last two are true. But to say that Gerrard is better than Aquilani in "every way" is plain wrong. They have different styles with different qualities, and aquilani is stronger in some aspects.

Overall, I agree gerrard is the better player. But let's not go overboard.
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2011, 10:46:36 pm »

That´s what I actually wanted to say.. ;)
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2011, 11:17:36 pm »
On second reading, the last two are true. But to say that Gerrard is better than Aquilani in "every way" is plain wrong. They have different styles with different qualities, and aquilani is stronger in some aspects.

In what 'aspects' is Aquilani stronger then Gerrard?

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2011, 11:27:42 pm »
He can look both ways when he crosses the road.  At the same time.

Other than that, he never has and never will be stronger in any aspect of the game of football than Steven Gerrard.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:52:37 pm by thekitkatshuffler »
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2011, 11:42:26 pm »
He can look both ways when he crosses the road.  At the same time.

Other than that, he never has and never will be stronger in any aspect of the game of football that Steven Gerrard.
Apologies steveeastend and others, apparently this is the kind of poster I should have reserved comment for. Although if I'm being honest, when someone is so far gone, I just don't think there's any point...

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2011, 11:47:12 pm »
Apologies steveeastend and others, apparently this is the kind of poster I should have reserved comment for. Although if I'm being honest, when someone is so far gone, I just don't think there's any point...
You could just answer the original question, mate. What parts of Aquilani's game are stronger than Gerrard's?

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2011, 11:47:47 pm »

Well how about answering my question 'cos I'm curious.  In what 'aspects' is Aquilani stronger than gerrard?  Just interested like.

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2011, 11:51:08 pm »
Do you even support Liverpool or do you just follow raven haired lovelies who dazzle you for a couple of nights but never call?

There's still that awkward question hanging in the air that you're neglecting to answer.  In what 'aspects' is Aquilani stronger than Gerrard?
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2011, 11:52:49 pm »
Well how about answering my question 'cos I'm curious.  In what 'aspects' is Aquilani stronger than gerrard?  Just interested like.
Oh god it's turned into another fucking Aquilani thread....

Despite never having been anything but good anywhere he's played, people seem to imagine that he has messianic qualities......

Back to Gerrard...... A man in whom messianic qualities are deeply ingrained and who gets slaughtered if they don't appear every game.

Come back soon stevie G
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2011, 12:01:17 am »
Oh god it's turned into another fucking Aquilani thread....

Despite never having been anything but good anywhere he's played, people seem to imagine that he has messianic qualities......

Back to Gerrard...... A man in whom messianic qualities are deeply ingrained and who gets slaughtered if they don't appear every game.

Come back soon stevie G

Yep exactly.  The man who never played becomes Best, maradona, Pele rolled into one on here.  Still waiting on the reply re how Aquilani is better than gerrard like, but won't hold my breath. 

Having Gerrard back this side of Xmas will do the world of good.  Testemant to the team really that to be honest they've done really well without him.

Offline PolarBear16

• Main Stander
  • Superman wears Steven Gerrard underwear
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2011, 12:13:08 am »
What a load of bollocks this whole bloody thread is. I never saw what the big deal in Aquilani was, and apparently neither does our fucking Manager, King Kenny, who let him go on a loan. The lad was too soft, too slow, too weak, and too ineffective for LFC.

As for Gerrard, I can't wait to get him back because he is heart and soul LFC, not like that Milan player who never wanted to be here.

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2011, 12:36:18 am »
You could just answer the original question, mate. What parts of Aquilani's game are stronger than Gerrard's?
Mate there really isn't any point. Old dog new tricks and all that. The lot of you have made up your mind so no amount of discussion, logic, or argument is going to change it. Why bother having that conversation? Especially in a Gerrard thread?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2011, 12:37:17 am »

Hes not permantly injured?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2011, 12:37:37 am »
I'm sick of hearing about how Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together. Even though no one said that.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2011, 12:50:34 am »
I concur, Hazell.   :)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2011, 01:02:39 am »
Mate there really isn't any point. Old dog new tricks and all that. The lot of you have made up your mind so no amount of discussion, logic, or argument is going to change it. Why bother having that conversation? Especially in a Gerrard thread?

Give us a bone to chew on then eh.  How about answering the original question.  In what 'aspects' is Aquilani better then Gerrard?  By the way this is prob the 5th time you've been asked to answer this, and we're all waiting.

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2011, 01:32:23 am »
Hes not permantly injured?

Remind me how many times Aquilani played for us again?, he's just as prone to injury than Gerrard is, especially in a physically demanding league where you actually get tackled.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2011, 01:55:02 am »
Remind me how many times Aquilani played for us again?, he's just as prone to injury than Gerrard is, especially in a physically demanding league where you actually get tackled.

He wasn't injured, he had a dicky tum !

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2011, 03:14:46 am »
Should just rename the thread to Aquilani.  :P
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2011, 08:29:40 am »
Give us a bone to chew on then eh.  How about answering the original question.  In what 'aspects' is Aquilani better then Gerrard?  By the way this is prob the 5th time you've been asked to answer this, and we're all waiting.
The fact you can't seem to read says it all.  I honestly can't believe that this conversation even needs to happen.  To say that one player is better in every respect than another (when we're talking about top quality players, i.e. not comparing Gerrard to some Sunday Leaguer) is a bit ludicrous.  It's people like yourself that get other sets of fans calling us biased and unintelligent.  I suppose you are one of the ones that will argue to the death that Gerrard is superior to Lampard in every way? Is Gerrard superior to Meireles in every way?  Is he superior to Skrtel in every way? I would argue he's not even superior to Ngog in every way, as I think Ngog's hold-up play would be a bit better than Gerrards, if for no other reason then he played it every day when Gerrard does not. And you can say that these comparisons are ridiculous because they are all different types of players... and well... that's pretty much my original point (All questions rhetorical, I think the existence of this debate is a bit pathetic and won't be continuing after this post)

But what the hell, I'll bite.  In my opinion, Aquilani has better awareness (knows his next 3 passes before he's received the ball) and is stronger technically (i.e. picking his pass).  He's better at controlling the pace and tempo of a game.  He is more suited to pass and move as he is better at finding space and his one-touch passing is as good as anyone.  I think he would thrive playing off of Maxi and Suarez in a completely different way than what Gerrard would (who I am more than confident will gel quite well with Suarez, but again, due to different qualities).

It should be noted that the majority of the above is likely because Gerrard has been well below his best in the last couple of years, likely due to the injury he had been carrying.  If he comes back fitter and stronger than ever as we have been told, there is a good chance alot of the above will become untrue.  As of right now though...

Either way, Gerrard has many more qualities which make him the superior player and more useful to the team, but he is not better in EVERY way.  Even if you argue every one of my points, which you are more than entitled to do, it won't change the fact that there will be other points and 'aspects' which I haven't considered, or am not intelligent enough to identify which Alberto is superior in.  And even that is assuming all the points I have made are incorrect, which they could well be.  You need to take off those rose-tinted glasses though, the whole line of thought smacks of idiocy.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2011, 09:36:30 am »
But what the hell, I'll bite.  In my opinion, Aquilani has better awareness (knows his next 3 passes before he's received the ball) and is stronger technically (i.e. picking his pass).  He's better at controlling the pace and tempo of a game.  He is more suited to pass and move as he is better at finding space and his one-touch passing is as good as anyone.  I think he would thrive playing off of Maxi and Suarez in a completely different way than what Gerrard would (who I am more than confident will gel quite well with Suarez, but again, due to different qualities).

Wow.  Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course but you're view is so far removed from mine re the key point (Aquilani is better than Gerrard in the areas you mention) that I'm not even going to counter in depth.  Suffice to say I go to most games and have been lucky enough to have witnesses both Dlaglish and Gerrard playing for us, and in my mind Dalglish shades Gerrard as the best player I've ever seen play for Liverpool.  However it's arguable.  Dalglish was surrounded by far superior players, whereas Gerrrard has dragged us over the line on numerous ocassions surrounded by far lesser players in comparison. 

I've also witnesses Aguilani's cameos for Liverpool.  He had a few good games and a few bad, but more often than not he was either left on the bench or subbed by the manager that signed him, Rafa.  Following this obviously the joke that was Hodgson farmed him out and then it would appear he never wanted to remain. He may have done a job for us long term but it wasnt to be.  Watched him the other night v Barca and he's a few good moments, but generally was ineffective and over-ran & prob should have been sent off.  However this was Barca of course so any midfielder would prob struggle against them.

To put him on some sort of pedestal and compare him as superior to gerrard in any area of the game, based on a handful of appearances for Liverpool, well, that's your view I suppose.  Totally disagree like, but hey ho, there we go.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2011, 09:44:26 am »
Should just rename the thread to Aquilani.  :P

It should be renamed to let me big up one player by belittling another.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2011, 09:49:12 am »
It should be renamed to let me big up one player by belittling another.

That's most player threads on rawk.

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2011, 09:50:51 am »

Mate you are probably going to get a bit of a bashing over that comment but i'll throw my two'pennies worth in as soon as. I'll have the fact Aqualani is a different player but you have to really take a step back and look at what you've said. Gerrard is vastly superior in every way to Aqualani. His vision, strength, commitment, distribution is; in my opinion up there with the worlds best. Aqualani will never be in that category.
I think you mastered this debate in order to satisfy your own theory and cause mass postings. If you'd ask on of the worlds greatest ever players in Zidane the question of "Is Alberto Aqualani a better player (in whole) than Steven Gerrard?" He'd butt your ass all over the place.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but please have one that doesn't purposely cause you a world of shit.
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2011, 10:05:31 am »
Just on a Gerrard update, I understand he is still in his cast.

Can anyone confirm ?

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2011, 10:19:29 am »
I think everyone, including Fluke, would agree that Gerrard is overall a better player than  Aquilani, there is no doubt about that. His abilities are from the very top level, he can carry a team pretty much on his own and decide a game, he has some flaws though, especially physically, otherwise he would be Maradona.

I would say that Aquilani is probably better in set pieces and in a short passing game but that´s something Gerrard for sure is capable of, it´s just not so much "his" way of playing football.

The top players can play every type of game if they really show the ambitions to learn it, because they simply are able to do it from their talent.

I once wrote the difference between top quality and the rest but it´s hard to explain this on an internet forum. Gerrard is top quality, anything else is debatable.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:22:23 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Fowllah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What the fuck was I thinking with this pseudo?
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2011, 11:28:20 am »
I'm probably going to get lynched for devaluing such a popular figure as Aquilani, but IMO he just wasn't for us, wasn't committed and Kenny made a perfectly legitimate decision to let him go. Let's accept it and move on, eh.

Offline Noh

• Main Stander
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2011, 11:33:09 am »
i heard he's still walking on crutches
Once a Reds, Always Reds!

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2011, 12:00:34 pm »
i heard he's still walking on crutches
Me too, the cast was still on this week.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2011, 12:30:07 pm »
It's a waste of time talking about Aquilani.

If Gerrard is still on crutches, then it will probably be next year til we see a return.
But a cast for an ankle infection that has been on for 3 weeks now is it?
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2011, 12:34:13 pm »
It's a waste of time talking about Aquilani.

If Gerrard is still on crutches, then it will probably be next year til we see a return.
But a cast for an ankle infection that has been on for 3 weeks now is it?
I'm not sure why it would still be in a cast to be honest for an infection. I can only presume they had to get really inside the joint to wash it out and want to ensure it doesn't get re-infected but there are medical people who can probably answer that.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2011, 12:34:30 pm »
Purely speculation, but someone I work with seemed to think that Gerrard had his cast removed on Thursday.  Apparently he knows someone who knows someone, as I said purely speculative, take it with a pinch of salt.

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2011, 12:42:32 pm »
Purely speculation, but someone I work with seemed to think that Gerrard had his cast removed on Thursday.  Apparently he knows someone who knows someone, as I said purely speculative, take it with a pinch of salt.
He might have, he definitely had it on earlier in the week.

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2011, 01:24:29 pm »
Is he dead yet?

All sorts of madness on this thread
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2011, 03:07:20 pm »
To put him on some sort of pedestal and compare him as superior to gerrard in any area of the game, based on a handful of appearances for Liverpool, well, that's your view I suppose.
I'm basically making this same point, except that you can't say Gerrard is unequivocally better in every facet of the game, based on that same limited sample. The other thing people seem to be missing is that we are talking about the players as they are today, ie recent form. If we talk about entire careers, then yes Gerrard has been better in every area, as far as I can tell (although that same caveat exists, that I'm likely just missing something because i struggle to believe that one person can be superior to another in every possible way, considering the huge multitude of abilities that could be compared).

Anyway, people seem to think I'm just Gerrard bashing, or "bringing him down to make Alberto look better", but I was never trying to compare them in that way. I don't even know how or why he came up in this thread. I was merely debating a rather general point. But when the superfans come out, they hunt in packs.

A tiny bit of objectivity will tell you that even someone as shite as Poulsen must have SOMETHING in his game that he's better at than Gerrard (or whoever). Don't ask me what that is though. Actually he's probably closer to the Sunday leaguer I mentioned earlier but hopefully people will get the point without just jumping on the 'poulsen comparison' rant.

It would be good to see him get a run out soon, even if its 15 min against chelsea...

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2011, 03:13:42 pm »
Mate you are probably going to get a bit of a bashing over that comment but i'll throw my two'pennies worth in as soon as. I'll have the fact Aquilani is a different player but you have to really take a step back and look at what you've said. Gerrard is vastly superior in every way to Aquilani. His vision, strength, commitment, distribution is; in my opinion up there with the worlds best. Aquilani will never be in that category.
I think you mastered this debate in order to satisfy your own theory and cause mass postings. If you'd ask on of the worlds greatest ever players in Zidane the question of "Is Alberto Aquilani a better player (in whole) than Steven Gerrard?" He'd butt your ass all over the place.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but please have one that doesn't purposely cause you a world of shit.
I never said he was better than Gerrard. I only said that stating he is worse in EVERY possible detail, is overstating.

Shit, I've fueled the Aquilani talk, and that's not what I wanted to do either...

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2011, 03:17:07 pm »
Gerrard wees all over Aqualini from a skyscraper and I'm defo a superfan
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2011, 03:23:52 pm »
I never said he was better than Gerrard. I only said that stating he is worse in EVERY possible detail, is overstating.

Shit, I've fueled the Aquilani talk, and that's not what I wanted to do either...

Mate I do understand your comments to a point but I do think in all areas of being a footballer; Gerrard at his peak was possibly the best midfielder in Europe and the way you put your argument forward was that aqualani was in some form or other betterthan him in some depts; which I think he's not - nor ever will be. But let's not fall out.
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2011, 04:33:43 pm »

LFC tv said he's started training, presumably the lonely runs with the physio.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2011, 05:05:54 pm »
LFC tv said he's started training, presumably the lonely runs with the physio.
Where did they say that, mate? :wave