The Liverpool FC Forum > Anfield Stadium

The Anfield Choo-Choo Thread

<< < (3/10) > >>

Billy Elliot:

--- Quote from: So... Howard Phillips on October 21, 2021, 10:46:33 pm ---Yet another first!

--- End quote ---

Got a feeling the station was called Anfield, as well. Their supporters probably had it closed down.

Original:
Don't think electrification would be an issue to a certain extent as the new 777 units are being tested with battery traction

Alan_X:

--- Quote from: Craig 🤔 on October 21, 2021, 09:36:21 pm ---It's about 1.1k from the nearest spot which is ideal (down Utting Avenue where the Clarence Pub used to be). That's been knocked down and there is a bit area there now right on the line.

Problem is I believe it needs electrifying so quite a lot of work, and for it to be viable it needs more than just the one station so it can be used for the wider area on non-matchdays.

Think Alan or Peter did a rough costing a while back and it wasn't cheap.

--- End quote ---

I didn't do a costing but the figures are out there somewhere. Would a station there significantly closer than Sandhills? It would be an easier walk along Uttings Ave - the walk to Sandhills isn't really signposted - but Sandhills is already there and goes straight into the City  Centre.

I don't have a car any more so I usually get a cab or bus up to the ground and either walk back all the way, walk down and grab a cab halfway or walk to Sandhills. If there's no queue I'll sometimes get the Soccer Bus.

I'm not sure I would walk all the way along Uttings Ave to queue for a train that loops around North Liverpool before going past Sandhills anyway.

Eeyore:

--- Quote from: Alan_X on October 22, 2021, 08:43:47 am ---I didn't do a costing but the figures are out there somewhere. Would a station there significantly closer than Sandhills? It would be an easier walk along Uttings Ave - the walk to Sandhills isn't really signposted - but Sandhills is already there and goes straight into the City  Centre.

I don't have a car any more so I usually get a cab or bus up to the ground and either walk back all the way, walk down and grab a cab halfway or walk to Sandhills. If there's no queue I'll sometimes get the Soccer Bus.

I'm not sure I would walk all the way along Uttings Ave to queue for a train that loops around North Liverpool before going past Sandhills anyway.

--- End quote ---

That's the issue you are heading in the wrong direction. If you decide to walk towards Sandhills you have lots of options. You have the chance of getting taxis, buses or in the worst-case scenario walking in to Town. If they built a Station on the corner of Cherry Lane and Utting Ave then you are banking on getting on a train.

It is a single gauge loop line so any problem on the loop from Edge Hill to Sandhills basically shuts down the whole line. That would basically leave you stranded because the majority of taxis would be going from the ground to the town centre and back.

CraigDS:

--- Quote from: Al 666 on October 22, 2021, 01:21:11 pm ---That's the issue you are heading in the wrong direction. If you decide to walk towards Sandhills you have lots of options. You have the chance of getting taxis, buses or in the worst-case scenario walking in to Town. If they built a Station on the corner of Cherry Lane and Utting Ave then you are banking on getting on a train.

It is a single gauge loop line so any problem on the loop from Edge Hill to Sandhills basically shuts down the whole line. That would basically leave you stranded because the majority of taxis would be going from the ground to the town centre and back.

--- End quote ---

It's a double track isn't it save for a section at the end where it goes into the docks.

Plus you get loads of taxi's down Utting Avenue, and if there were more walking down there then you'd attract more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version