Author Topic: CL: Atletico Madrid 2 v 3Liverpool Salah ‘8 ‘77 Keita ‘13 Griezmann ‘20 ‘34  (Read 35614 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Yep, echo the others in echoing Timbo!

It’s not something to enjoy, or necessary, or something that ‘needs to exist in football’. It’s anti-football at its most obvious and abhorrent. If Simeone could find a way to get Griezmann to hide the ball up his shirt for 90 minutes and then score right at the end he’d fucking love it, ideally injuring some opposition players in the process. They’re a richer Spanish Burnley with good players. I can maybe see why you’d play in a certain way if you were in a one off game you needed to win (well…not lose), but every single game? Nah not for me.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Would you have Simone at Liverpool after Klopp if he learned some manners?

No, there’s no way I’d want him near the club. His tactics just don’t sit well with me.
#JFT97

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Atletico had the weekend off too, so they were able to prepare all weekend with no league game.
thats what I was getting at really, should have been clearer. It's my usual post in a hurry between calls  :)

another overlooked factor is how much they spend and what they've achieved. I think because they are the second club in Madrid, people view them like Espanyol or Everton. But this is a stable, big club, long serving manager, European Cup Finals, League winners, big signings, big wages etc. Add in the crowd and the shithousery and they are up there with the toughest in Europe.

Said it the day after the game, but Lamar, Griezzman, Felix and Carrasco are as good as anything I've seen in the last year or so. Good players.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 04:30:18 pm by Charlie Adams fried egg »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Yep, echo the others in echoing Timbo!

It’s not something to enjoy, or necessary, or something that ‘needs to exist in football’. It’s anti-football at its most obvious and abhorrent. If Simeone could find a way to get Griezmann to hide the ball up his shirt for 90 minutes and then score right at the end he’d fucking love it, ideally injuring some opposition players in the process. They’re a richer Spanish Burnley with good players. I can maybe see why you’d play in a certain way if you were in a one off game you needed to win (well…not lose), but every single game? Nah not for me.
Imagine having to watch that every week.  :o

It's a shame too, because they have good players who can play when they want to.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
Atletico have only spent in recent years, and even then they’re hamstrung wage wise - much smaller than ours as someone mentioned, and their net spend under Simeone is comparable to ours under Klopp. A few larger signings (like us with Alisson, VVD, Keita etc) doesn’t change that.

Simeone and Klopp are the only two managers who have consistently competed and beat clubs with much more resource over the last decade. He deserves big credit for that.

Hmm. I wonder if the Simeone apologists in the thread would be quite so magnanimous with their “oh I think they’re rather super duper entertainment and damn fine togger team who just know how to stretch the boundaries” comments about Atletico and their heinous fucking c*nt of a manager if the horrible c*nts had actually managed via their blatant cheating to wangle a victory.

Fact is Simeone and the gang of cheating c*nts he’s forensically forged are a fucking disgrace and a stain on the game and well in the magnificent Jurgen and his boys for ensuring the Simeone crew have to stomach the all so deserved vanquished spoils of the shite they serve up.

;D

And yet what are the odds this poster loved Suarez to bits? (as we all did). Save the sanctimonious clap trap. His style of football isn’t the best but his persona would make him an instant hit if he was ever our manager. This is the same club that had the whole of Anfield chanting Balotelli’s name within 5 minutes of him signing.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
No fucking chance, don’t want that prick and his shit on a stick football anywhere near Anfield.  I wouldn’t be able to stand the cheating. It’s the biggest turn-off in football.

Kinda sad to even read a Liverpool fan suggest it to be honest, like somehow SImeone would improve on what we have now?

I far prefer the impact of a manager who manages teams to play the right way and who is a natural with the fans.

Thanks for the reply. It was supposed to stir debate to be honest. I wasn't saying I was on board with it, just toying with the notion.

But I think one of the biggest attributes a manager can have these days is charisma and a massive personality. It's not like the old days where the manager is the coach, picks the team, buys the players etc. . . They have a massive team dedicated to helping out with that.

The manger sets the tone. Is the leader and sets the example the players will follow. Gets his boys running through brick walls. Defends them to the hilt when the chips are down. Simeone is not unlike Klopp in this respect. You get the impression his players and fans love the bones of him and would die to win a football game for him. He seems to be very good at uniting the club, players and fans.

Finding a force of nature to follow Klopp is going to be very difficult.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 09:47:08 pm by kasperoff »
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Atletico have only spent in recent years, and even then they’re hamstrung wage wise - much smaller than ours as someone mentioned, and their net spend under Simeone is comparable to ours under Klopp. A few larger signings (like us with Alisson, VVD, Keita etc) doesn’t change that.

Simeone and Klopp are the only two managers who have consistently competed and beat clubs with much more resource over the last decade. He deserves big credit for that.

And yet what are the odds this poster loved Suarez to bits? (as we all did). Save the sanctimonious clap trap. His style of football isn’t the best but his persona would make him an instant hit if he was ever our manager. This is the same club that had the whole of Anfield chanting Balotelli’s name within 5 minutes of him signing.

None of the above goes anyway to convincing me that Simeone would make a great Liverpool manager, he lacks Klopp's charisma and I am pretty damn sure after three months of his horrible football, I would have had more than enough. Obviously you have a thing for him, that's okay it takes all kinds, but there is little chance that he would make any short list for the job of LFC manager.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
I have to be honest, and say I acknowledge what Atletico have achieved in recent years under Simeone.

But do I respect or admire it even? Fuck that. The ends don’t justify the means and their particular brand of shit on a stick anti-football (when they have the players to be so much more) really is the lowest of the low, which no club should resort to that, never mind actually revel in it as a footballing “philosophy”.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
None of the above goes anyway to convincing me that Simeone would make a great Liverpool manager, he lacks Klopp's charisma and I am pretty damn sure after three months of his horrible football, I would have had more than enough. Obviously you have a thing for him, that's okay it takes all kinds, but there is little chance that he would make any short list for the job of LFC manager.
Mourinho made the shortlist in 2004, but didn’t make the cut over concerns about his personality more than his brand of football at the time. As someone who scores badly in both categories, Simeone wouldn’t even make it into the initial conversation. He’d be horrifyingly perfectly suited to Chelsea.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Thanks for the reply. It was supposed to stir debate to be honest. I wasn't saying I was on board with it, just toying with the notion.

But I think one of the biggest attributes a manager can have these days is charisma and a massive personality. It's not like the old days where the manager is the coach, picks the team, buys the players etc. . . They have a massive team dedicated to helping out with that.

The manger sets the tone. Is the leader and sets the example the players will follow. Gets his boys running through brick walls. Defends them to the hilt when the chips are down. Simeone is not unlike Klopp in this respect. You get the impression his players and fans love the bones of him and would die to win a football game for him. He seems to be very good at uniting the club, players and fans.

Finding a force of nature to follow Klopp is going to be very difficult.

A manager as the figurehead of the club also very much has authority of the sort of football is played, and will have coaches around him who work in concert with that.  Very sure the manager here has final say on who actually plays too  ;)  So yes, for sure, work in delegated, but to say that is one of the biggest attributes is charisma and personality is a little wide of the mark.  Definately at a club like Liverpool though, the personality is important though, I agree on that!

But as a manager is the figurehead and as the manager’s philosophy is important to us, that is one of the many reasons I honestly can’t imagine how any Liverpool fan would then look at Simeone and think ‘yep, would love him here’.

He’s the antithesis of a Liverpool manager in my mind.

I know Klopp is a rare breed these days in that he wants to play the game fairly and having his teams topping fair play tables might be funny to some, but itis something important to him, and it is one of the things that makes him and this team special. To be able to compete at the very top without the resources of some other teams and to actually do it the right way, is probably what makes me most proud of this team.

To go from that to Simeone, would be impossible to stomach.  And yes of course Atletico fans love him, I get that, but his act has gone on long enough for those on the outside to be able to judge how suited he would be to their own club, and for this club, not at all is my verdict.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
Outside running down the tunnel on Tuesday, what’s he done to trigger so many in here? Can’t see any particular beef he has with LFC or anything in particular he’s done to suggest he, as a person, is a prick.

I think you would have been widely laughed at for having the opinion that he wouldn’t make a potential shortlist 6 years ago. Easy to forget the calibre of manager we were attracting before Klopp decided to rejuvenate the club.

Simeone is right up there with the best in world football - to suggest we’d turn our noses up at him in the future is odd considering there are only a handful or less of managers that can win major honours without an open cheque book (exactly FSG’s modus operandi), and he is one of them.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
Another problem with Simeone to go with the dour football and being a shithouse, is the reported wages of €40 million a year.

Which is astounding.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
And yet what are the odds this poster loved Suarez to bits? (as we all did). Save the sanctimonious clap trap. His style of football isn’t the best but his persona would make him an instant hit if he was ever our manager.

You clearly have immense admiration for the fella and the legacy he’s created. Who knows maybe you would even like to have his baby. It’s all fair enough. It’s your shout mate. I just can’t stand the fella and his “footballing!!!!” blueprint and if that qualifies as being sanctimonious then so be fucking it. I’ll live with that. But it doesn’t alter my opinion that the man’s a prize c*nt and him as our manager would see me out the door after 60 odd years.

As for the Luis Suarez analogy/comparison? You seriously offering up the joys, thrills and spills provided by a brief stepping stone spell of a solitary footballing icon - merely one amongst a glittering litany of true footballing and managerial icons at Anfield down the years - as an argument to equate it with the uniquely heinous dynasty forged over many years by your Atletico managerial hero? Give us a fucking break.  :)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 01:03:25 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
No problem with Atletico being defensive or boring, they're perfectly entitled to do that. The play-acting, hounding the referee, trying to get players into trouble, time-wasting, etc, though, is very unsavoury - though of course they're far from the only team that does it.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
No problem with Atletico being defensive or boring, they're perfectly entitled to do that. The play-acting, hounding the referee, trying to get players into trouble, time-wasting, etc, though, is very unsavoury - though of course they're far from the only team that does it.

Yeah but has any other manager seemingly made it his lifetime ambition and life’s work to forge such behaviour into the dna of one team as Simeone has done with Atletico?

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah but has any other manager seemingly made it his lifetime ambition and life’s work to forge such behaviour into the dna of one team as Simeone has done with Atletico?
No idea, don't watch nearly enough of teams other than Liverpool to know if there's any worse than Atletico for that sort of thing. It's really irritating to watch, but no doubt it's not going to change - the football authorities don't seem very interested in stamping it out.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He is up against two juggernaughts in R Madrid and Barcelona. If that's what it is takes to be competitive against them, fair enough in my opinion. In terms of playacting and moaning at referees those 2 aren't far behind Atletico usually.

Someone mentioned Suarez. I think probably the better comparisons would be Ged and Rafa. I'm not saying that Rafa is as big a proponent of the dark arts as Simeone is, nowhere near, but he is someone who has faced criticism for his style of play in many quarters and we adored him for the qualities he brought here. Similarly with Ged. We're definitely capable of loving managers who may not play the prettiest most progressive football.

That's not to say Houllier or Benítez never played any good football... But I don't know. I haven't read much of the thread but Atlético outplayed us a decent chunk of that match and I was impressed personally. Maybe that was because they went 2 down but great match anyway.

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
He is up against two juggernaughts in R Madrid and Barcelona. If that's what it is takes to be competitive against them, fair enough in my opinion. In terms of playacting and moaning at referees those 2 aren't far behind Atletico usually.

Someone mentioned Suarez. I think probably the better comparisons would be Ged and Rafa. I'm not saying that Rafa is as big a proponent of the dark arts as Simeone is, nowhere near, but he is someone who has faced criticism for his style of play in many quarters and we adored him for the qualities he brought here. Similarly with Ged. We're definitely capable of loving managers who may not play the prettiest most progressive football.

That's not to say Houllier or Benítez never played any good football... But I don't know. I haven't read much of the thread but Atlético outplayed us a decent chunk of that match and I was impressed personally. Maybe that was because they went 2 down but great match anyway.
Benetiz took on those two juggetnaughts and beat them without having to resort to the same shithouse tactics and playacting that Simone and his players have though.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fernando Torres and his lad with our lads after the game.  ;D

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
Nothing to discuss. What is there to debate? Atletico Madrid is a shithouse football team … that is the absolute reflection of their manager/head coach who was a shithouse player during his days.

Simeone at Liverpool? I would rather the earth swallow me whole first before that happens. Not in a million years …
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
I would argue that Simeone has a more talented squad at his disposal compared to Barcelona and Madrid.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
I would argue that Simeone has a more talented squad at his disposal compared to Barcelona and Madrid.

it’s really the perfect storm for Atletico now, for sure they are stronger than Barcelona both with squad and coach, and first 11 stronger than Madrid. Atletico should be dominating that league for a year or two really, as Barcelona especially aren’t just going to turn their troubles around over-night. And their weakness should give atletico a bigger boost in Europe too, they should be seen as one of the favourites for the CL and play with that pressure on them.