Author Topic: Watford vs LIVERPOOL FC - Vicarage Rd Sat 16 Oct - BT Sport 12:30pm  (Read 16886 times)

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated

Watford vs LIVERPOOL FC - Vicarage Road 12:30pm Saturday 16th October 2021 live on BT Sports

Saturdays Officials courtesy of 4pool

Referee: Jonathan Moss.
Assistants: Marc Perry, Timothy Wood.
Fourth official: Tony Harrington.
VAR: Stuart Attwell.
Assistant VAR: Darren Cann.

Well thank fuck the international breaks almost done and we can finally look forward to some proper football again. And as we’re annoyingly first up at 12:30 on Saturday, we can hopefully use our annoyance and capitalise by getting a head start on the rest.

So to Vicarage Road we go. My first ever experience of watching Liverpool live was on New Years Day 1985 at Vicarage Road, it ended 1-1 with a late equaliser from, well Ian Rush, obviously! Also thanks to my grandad being based in North West London at the time we saw the same fixture in January 1986 which resulted in a far more enjoyable 3-2 victory with goals from Rush and a double from Paul Walsh.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OVg5q4k2e10" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OVg5q4k2e10</a>

Hopefully the pitch will be a little more playable on Saturday.

Anyway in more recent times the games that stand out in my mind aren’t necessarily the good ones. When I tried to think of particular games for this I recalled the match with Bogdan in goal which was early in Klopp’s time and wasn’t good at all. Then of course there was Salah’s first game where we somehow contrived to draw 3-3 allowing them an equaliser with virtually the last kick.
And of course last time we played there in the season we finally won 19 they broke our unbeaten run with a 3-0 victory not long before Covid really took hold.

Not sure why those games stand out because on the whole we have a decent record there. Aside from the games mentioned above there were a couple of defeats in the eighties and the famous 1970 FA Cup loss that was the beginning of the end for a number of Shankly’s first great Liverpool team. We’ve won every other visit there outside of that new years day game in 1985 and an FA Cup game in 1967 (we won the replay).

In terms of this season after winning at home on the opening day they lost three in a row in the league before winning at Norwich, since then they’ve gone out of the League Cup at home and managed a draw at home to Newcastle before losing to Leeds 1-0 in their last game. All of which leaves them 15th in league, so in some ways you could consider not the worst start for them as I’d imagine they’ll be happy just to avoid relegation. Despite that the Watford board have already replaced the manager, and will be hoping Claudio Ranieri is more Leicester less Fulham form wise.

Troy Deeney has now departed so he won’t be sniffing round Virgil at least. Their top scorer is unsurprisingly the regularly linked with us Ismaila Sarr and their other most likely danger seems to come from the other wing in Emmanuel Bonaventure who’s also managed to get a couple so far. They seem to line up in a 4-5-1 type formation with two holding midfielders behind Bonaventure, Tufan & Sarr with Joshua King up front. However it sounds as though King may be out for this game.

So onto us.

On the whole it’s been a really positive start, although consecutive draws before the break was a little frustrating, but we’ll never stop enjoying Mo’s last goal as long as we live. What a player, one of the very best to have worn the liver bird on his chest.

It sounds as though Jota & Trent will be available but Thiago is still out, and given they won’t be back until Friday Fabinho & Alisson are considered unlikely. While I expect Fabinho not to play I do wonder if Alisson will – but we’ll likely have to wait until Saturday morning to find out. As things stand I think we have the majority of the squad available and it just depends how the boss wants to play it with two massive games to follow.

I’ll leave it to others to speculate on how we may line up, but we certainly should be taking the 3 points here despite the difficulties regarding the kick off time and international break.

COME ON RED MEN!

PS Massive thanks to Hazell for the help in finally being able to embed the video, I'm now an expert and can help others with this...NOT!

Edit: may have spoken too soon, the video looked to work on my PC but can’t see it on my phone  :butt
I think it may be due to Safari not supporting flash but it appears others can view but if you can’t you’re not alone!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:16:43 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Watford vs LIVERPOOL FC - Vicarage Rd Sat 16 Oct - BT Sport 12:30pm
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 09:04:44 pm »
I remember that 3-2 game! It was live on ITV wasn’t it? I remember the white kit, the muddy pitch and being slightly mesmerised by Paul Walsh! Going to have to watch those highlights now!

Could be tricky due to the timing and the absentees but if we have our heads switched on we should be ok. Sarr seems the obvious danger, I presume he’s been away in Senegal with Mané?

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 09:19:57 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OVg5q4k2e10" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OVg5q4k2e10</a>

Mu eye was drawn to the Watford forward who brought the ball down with his chest at 00:40 before laying it off. Bloody hell, he looks elegant, I thought, before realising who it was.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 09:23:37 pm »
Mu eye was drawn to the Watford forward who brought the ball down with his chest at 00:40 before laying it off. Bloody hell, he looks elegant, I thought, before realising who it was.
Turned out alright didn’t he 😁
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:01:54 am by duvva »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 09:52:55 pm »
Three words- John Moss, shit.

Other than that, good right up. We should have enough to beat them, even taking into account the inevitable new manager boost.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 11:15:36 pm »
Had a few really shit results here over the years. The end of our 44 games in the league without defeat which took us all by surprise, the 3-3 draw on the opening day a few years back with some calamitous defending, and the other 3-0 just before Christmas in Klopp's first season where I didn't know whether I should have laughed or cried. I don't think there's any doubt these are going back down this season and would expect that to be the case with at least a month of the season left. Just win.

Also, what a disgrace that we have to lose the Brazilians for this. Fuck off.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 11:23:16 pm »
Re Alisson and Fabinho. The club have helped to finance a private jet leaving Brazil straight after. I’d imagine they’d be back in UK early Friday afternoon. Unlikely to play ? I’d have thought so.

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 12:26:49 am »
Had a few really shit results here over the years. The end of our 44 games in the league without defeat which took us all by surprise, the 3-3 draw on the opening day a few years back with some calamitous defending, and the other 3-0 just before Christmas in Klopp's first season where I didn't know whether I should have laughed or cried.

The Fa Cup quarter final in 1970 too. Along with most reds of a certain vintage I'll hate the name 'Barry fckin Endean' til the day I die.

My main 80s memories of Vicarage Rd ...

1. Nearly always playing them in the new year and the pitch being really muddy

2. Having to walk through allotments to get to the away end. It was like a scene from the Somme til one year we rocked up and in order to protect the vegetables they'd built a really long narrow, high-sided passageway for us to tramp through.  ;D

3. Battering them with Peter Beardsley at the absolute top of his game. He scored 2 and could have had loads more. 87/88 probably.

4. Possibly 87/88 too - the Official History video had not long been out and it was the first time most of us had seen the old Panorama footage of the Kop in '64 - in tribute and a nod to our past we sang She Loves You and Anyone Who Had A Heart etc . 

Ah good times (apart from Barry fckin Endean obviously).

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 01:19:39 am »
Salah will tear 'em a new Watford gap
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 02:40:52 am »
Nice on Duvva - great highlights from 86

Pity Walsh and Barnes weren't on the same team back then, it sounds like the Brazilians will have to parachute in to make this in time  ;D

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 07:23:04 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for a great op Duvall. I agree that I have strong memories of the bad results against them and the bad timing of Ranieri arriving could add further angst.
However, logically, we should be able to win this and sort of need to really. Good to hear Jones came on for a cameo for England U21 and made a goal and Hendo was lightly used. I suspect these plus one are the midfield bearing in mind Atletico away next Tuesday. Bobby seemed prominent in trading as did Milner and so I think they start and I think Kostas may well feature at left back.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 07:35:45 am »
Nice one Duvva.  8)

Should be a very interesting game with Ranieri & their first game under his leadership.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 09:44:10 am »
This is a real banana skin.

New Manager bounce and we are missing two key players.

Could possibly play the front four and two in midfield.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 09:47:39 am »
Who is available in midfield?

Definitely: Hendo, Milner, Ox
Probably: Keita (as long as he holds up ok on international duty)
Possibly: Jones (any word on his England withdrawal?)
Out: Thiago, Fabinho, Elliott

Have I missed anyone there? I can’t see him playing our main four attacking options when Jota missed some Portugal games and Bobby is just back from injury himself. I guess we could see Origi or Minamino.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 09:48:43 am »

Have I missed anyone there? I can’t see him playing our main four attacking options when Jota missed some Portugal games and Bobby is just back from injury himself. I guess we could see Origi or Minamino.

Midfield options are Hendo, Milner, Taki, Keita, Ox and Jones as far as we know
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 09:49:16 am »
Jones assisted in the latest England U21 game so assume he's good to go.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2021, 09:59:05 am »
Jones assisted in the latest England U21 game so assume he's good to go.

Nice one, hadn’t seen anything since that report a few days ago.

We still have plenty of options then. Tough European game midweek. Think we have to accept at this stage of the season that even if everyone was available, we still probably need to chop and change a little bit. We still have enough options to do that across the pitch.

It’s a potentially tricky game but pretty much every away game in the league (besides Norwich?) had the potential to be. As long as our attitude is right, and it almost always is, I think we’ll be ok.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2021, 10:12:12 am »
This is going to be a really tough game for us. Players missing and an opposition that will have a bit of a new manager bounce but also a side that can be very physical. Dont be surprised if they take us on like Brentford did.

Ultimately though, we have to win. We dropped points against a shit side already, we cannot do so again.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2021, 10:24:06 am »
This is going to be a really tough game for us. Players missing and an opposition that will have a bit of a new manager bounce but also a side that can be very physical. Dont be surprised if they take us on like Brentford did.

Ultimately though, we have to win. We dropped points against a shit side already, we cannot do so again.

The thing is... they're bad and their new manager is bad
We'll be totally dominant whatever our line up

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2021, 10:27:03 am »
Are there actually any stats to back up a 'new manager bounce' or is it just a shite saying that gets repeated without any basis?

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2021, 10:36:00 am »
Are there actually any stats to back up a 'new manager bounce' or is it just a shite saying that gets repeated without any basis?

Article here from our very own Basstutnedtored.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-watford-21834997.amp?__twitter_impression=true

In the Premier League era we’ve faced a new manager 8 times and we’ve won 4 and lost 4. The defeats (shudder) were:

1-3 v Leicester after they sacked Ranieri
1-3 v Newcastle in Pardew’s first game (disclaimer- was against Hodgson)
1-2 v Villa - John Gregory’s first game where Collymore scored twice for them
0-2 v Everton - Joe Royle  and his Dogs of War

We had some relatively comfortable wins in there too, including Watford two seasons ago when Pearson came back.

Can’t read too much into some of them, but it probably does make slightly harder on the whole. And by law of averages everyone will play Watford under new management at some point.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2021, 10:36:34 am »
Salah has 8 goals in 6 games against these and he wasn't as good then as he is now. Fill your boots lad.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2021, 10:37:50 am »
These are a terrible football team. We should beat these even if I have to play in goal. 4-0.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2021, 11:12:37 am »
Article here from our very own Basstutnedtored.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-watford-21834997.amp?__twitter_impression=true

In the Premier League era we’ve faced a new manager 8 times and we’ve won 4 and lost 4. The defeats (shudder) were:

1-3 v Leicester after they sacked Ranieri
1-3 v Newcastle in Pardew’s first game (disclaimer- was against Hodgson)
1-2 v Villa - John Gregory’s first game where Collymore scored twice for them
0-2 v Everton - Joe Royle  and his Dogs of War

We had some relatively comfortable wins in there too, including Watford two seasons ago when Pearson came back.

Can’t read too much into some of them, but it probably does make slightly harder on the whole. And by law of averages everyone will play Watford under new management at some point.

Thanks!

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2021, 11:22:19 am »
Must win

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2021, 11:41:37 am »
Must win

Yeah. I don’t think any of our draws have been terrible results in isolation. I don’t think Brentford are a ‘shut’ side like KH says. And across a season you’ll always get some results like that. A win is needed here though, firstly because we’re much better and second to stop any talk of us drawing too many.

One of those nice 2 or 3 nil stress free away wins would be lovely. Although I think it will be quite a battle.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2021, 12:40:35 pm »
These are a terrible football team. We should beat these even if I have to play in goal. 4-0.
I was thinking before, seeing as the EPL decided to punish us by not putting the match back and allowing us to play our full team we could play 2 banks of four and really make it a crap game - we can still make sure we win by venturing up a few times for the winner but we could really make it a debacle of a game - they can hardly discipline us for playing shit.
 Come to think of it we could do the same when we play the sportswasher clubs and ruin Sky's spectacle matches - it may even catch on :)

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2021, 03:42:15 pm »

We can’t be having an entertaining draw. 3 pts are a must no matter how ugly.

They’ll park the bus and look to copy the Brentford long ball to the back post template. We should have more than enough to deal with that even without Fab and Ali.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2021, 03:43:52 pm »
Sarr has had a good start for them as well right?

Offline MdArshad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 04:14:30 pm »
Sarr is dangerous but we can stop him. Glad Troy Deeney is no longer there. He could have given some problems to our backup goalie with his nudging during corners.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2021, 04:33:23 pm »
Sarr has had a good start for them as well right?

No doubt he'll be doing his best to impress .

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2021, 04:47:21 pm »

Milly in midfield will depend on Trent being fit Bobby should be fit hes been in full training for a good few week and had his share of sub appearances

Hate playing new managers - The Craig Shakesphere game stilll haunts me that plus the goalie situation leaves me quite worried
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2021, 04:48:46 pm »
Milly in midfield will depend on Trent being fit Bobby should be fit hes been in full training for a good few week and had his share of sub appearances

Hate playing new managers - The Craig Shakesphere game stilll haunts me that plus the goalie situation leaves me quite worried

At least it won’t be Bogdan playing at Watford again!

Trent is back I think. Wouldn’t mind Milner in midfield for this one in a no nonsense way. Rather him play in this one than Atletico anyway.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2021, 04:53:26 pm »
At least it won’t be Bogdan playing at Watford again!

Trent is back I think. Wouldn’t mind Milner in midfield for this one in a no nonsense way. Rather him play in this one than Atletico anyway.

Bogdan, shakespeare, I need a lie down -
Dont mention Mignolet and that 93rd min equaliser
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2021, 06:02:52 pm »
Bogdan, shakespeare, I need a lie down -
Dont mention Mignolet and that 93rd min equaliser
Spoiler
Probably best not to read the OP  :)
[close]

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2021, 07:55:30 pm »
Do Watford change their manager each time we play them..?
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2021, 07:56:45 pm »
Spoiler
Probably best not to read the OP  :)
[close]

Thanks for the warning

I was tooo engrossed in reminiscing about the 3-2 in 86

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2021, 08:24:24 pm »
I remember having a bit of respect for Watford when I was a kid, obvs digger, Luther blisset was decent, like graham taylor, decent club colours. They used to play in the mud though, Luton had a plaggy pitch, the contrast. Come on reds.

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2021, 10:01:59 pm »
The ‘86 6th Round replay on, I think, a Monday night down in Watford, remains in my top 5 away games. Barnes scored for them and we looked to be heading out of the Cup.

It wasn’t until Rushy scored near the end of extra time that we finally got on top of them. The away section, I am guessing a good 6000-7000 strong was half behind the goal and half at the side. We truly went mental.

I know people reading this will find it hard to believe that we took the FA Cup so seriously, but we did. This was of course, the year we beat Everton 3-1 in the final, another epic day.

PS. I suspect that if our penalty that night had gone to VAR, we may never have played Everton in the final.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2021, 09:35:46 am »
Still faintly amazed they're in the Prem

Their tactic of trying for a new manager bounce each and every time we play (almost) never works

They're gonna get humbled.