Author Topic: Squid Game - Netflix  (Read 11003 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Squid Game - Netflix
« on: October 1, 2021, 08:06:40 am »
I keep hearing about this on the radio, it's supposed to be No1 in the UK. Anyone watching this and is it any good? My two kids are watching this in their room of a night and they love it, I thought it was a kids programme but obviously not.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Tombellylfc

• Kopite
  • YNWA
Re: Squid Game - Netflix
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2021, 08:41:58 am »
I keep hearing about this on the radio, it's supposed to be No1 in the UK. Anyone watching this and is it any good? My two kids are watching this in their room of a night and they love it, I thought it was a kids programme but obviously not.

I'm on episode 7 and really enjoying it so far. Plenty of good reviews and people praising it in the TV topic on here so seems plenty agree. My advice would be give it a go and watch it in Korean with subtitles if possible its much better that way.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2021, 09:24:35 am »
I binged it in a few days last week and loved it.

It's most certainly not for kids :lmao

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #3 on: October 1, 2021, 09:30:43 am »
...watch it in Korean with subtitles if possible its much better that way.

Agree with this. I watched the first episode in English before switching, and it's so much better in the original language.

Also - "how old are your kids?" was my first thought here.

As Red Viper put:

Great show though, i'm really enjoying it so far (just finished episode 6, which without adding any spoilers, was proper edge of your seat stuff).
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #4 on: October 1, 2021, 02:49:45 pm »
Finished it last night. Brilliant stuff. Episode 6 is certainly a standout. Agree about watching with subtitles, very much adds to the experience to hear the original dialogue.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: October 1, 2021, 03:33:25 pm »
Got this on my Watch list, was told about this on facetime the other day.

Koreans are knocking out of the park with TV and Film the last few years.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #6 on: October 1, 2021, 04:16:04 pm »

It was my daughters (17 & 13) who got me watching it  :lmao

It's unsettling, though.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 1, 2021, 04:44:54 pm »
I binged it in a few days last week and loved it.

Agree with this. I watched the first episode in English before switching, and it's so much better in the original language.

Also - "how old are your kids?" was my first thought here.

As Red Viper put:

Great show though, i'm really enjoying it so far (just finished episode 6, which without adding any spoilers, was proper edge of your seat stuff).
They're 11 and 13 and they normally watch the Marvel Stuff or Star Wars. I walked in the room and asked what they were watching and they just said Squid Squad, so I assumed it was something from Marvel.

I've just asked them and they're up to episode 7. Neither one is bothered by it, the youngest said "Dad we've watched Friday the 13th" and the killings don't bother them.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2021, 04:49:45 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 1, 2021, 05:01:38 pm »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 1, 2021, 06:04:45 pm »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10 on: October 1, 2021, 06:13:46 pm »
Neither one is bothered by it, the youngest said "Dad we've watched Friday the 13th" and the killings don't bother them.

They live in Manchester, so can't see anything they see on TV bothering them.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 1, 2021, 06:16:42 pm »
They live in Manchester, so can't see anything they see on TV bothering them.

True ;D

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #12 on: October 1, 2021, 09:40:43 pm »
Really enjoyed it. Great fun idea well executed.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 1, 2021, 11:40:33 pm »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 1, 2021, 11:44:15 pm »
I actually quite enjoyed the cheesy VIP characters and their sub-standard acting.

They reminded me of one of those 70's hammer movies or an episode of Armchair Thriller or Tales of the Unexpected.   Definitely didn't spoil a brilliant episode either.  Eps 6 and 7 were both ace.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 3, 2021, 12:33:07 pm »
Seen on Television Reddit that the show is #1 in 90 countries.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 3, 2021, 01:52:35 pm »
Finished it last night. Brilliant stuff. Episode 6 is certainly a standout. Agree about watching with subtitles, very much adds to the experience to hear the original dialogue.

If you loved this, watch Alice in Borderland as well. Similar niche but Japanese and also a really good watch.
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 3, 2021, 11:11:26 pm »
2 episodes down, and it's quite interesting so far, about to start the 3rd one.

Sadly i'm watching it with the cheesy American dubbed accents, she won't watch anything with subtitles. :-\

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 3, 2021, 11:40:51 pm »
Watching shows with dubbed audio is like going to the Louvre and asking for a sketch of the Mona Lisa instead of looking at the original. I’m obviously exaggerating, but you get my point.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 4, 2021, 12:42:19 am »
Watching shows with dubbed audio is like going to the Louvre and asking for a sketch of the Mona Lisa instead of looking at the original. I’m obviously exaggerating, but you get my point.
Haha great way to describe it. ;D

Loving the show though even with dubbed voiceovers.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #20 on: October 4, 2021, 10:08:06 am »

Seen seen seen seen seen seen seen.

Loved the show. Absolutely loved it. Stayed up till late each night last week watching them.

The only bad point was the woeful acting of the VIPs.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #21 on: October 4, 2021, 10:13:20 am »
Really enjoying it. The tension keeps on getting ramped up episode to episode. Has to be watched with original audio/subtitles IMO

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #22 on: October 4, 2021, 10:26:31 am »
Just finished episode six  :'(
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #23 on: October 4, 2021, 10:28:41 am »
Boss show. Binged it over the weekend there.
Spoiler
season 2 should be intriguing. Interested to see where they go from here
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 4, 2021, 10:36:09 am »
Seen seen seen seen seen seen seen.

I don't like that Bradley Pitt anyway.   Too much ACT-ing.

:)

Spoiler
Great series and I loved it, but by god they dragged out that last episode
[close]

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #25 on: October 4, 2021, 10:57:03 am »
Spoiler
season 2 should be intriguing. Interested to see where they go from here
[close]

Spoiler
Think they've said no plans for a second season right now, though obviously now that it's been a huge hit that might change. Was a bit gutted not to see some form of rapprochement with the daughter as that was obviously a key reason he went in.
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 4, 2021, 11:25:58 am »
Spoiler
Was a bit gutted not to see some form of rapprochement with the daughter as that was obviously a key reason he went in.
[close]

My son said exactly the same thing JK

Spoiler
At the end of the day nobody forced him to go into the game.  Even after the mass killings in the first game he still went back.
[close]

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #27 on: October 4, 2021, 12:27:44 pm »
My son said exactly the same thing JK

Spoiler
At the end of the day nobody forced him to go into the game.  Even after the mass killings in the first game he still went back.
[close]

Spoiler
It's weird, in the first episode the big driver for him wanting to earn money/improve himself was to be a father to his daughter. He took advantage of his mother. That's the reason he went off to play the first game. Then he comes back and finds his mother is ill, and he needs money for hospital bills, and that's the reason he goes back in. But by the time he comes out she's died, and rather than trying to reconnect with his daughter he goes awol for a year and even at the end doesn't go to visit her. Especially when her step-father has been portrayed as a controlling arsehole.

Hope for a series 2 where they can follow up ;D
[close]

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #28 on: October 4, 2021, 01:49:16 pm »
Although dystopian and grim, I like that the deaths and violence aren't Tarantino-esque in terms of gratuity. It's almost matter of fact in the way it is executed which helps when seeing so many people perish at the same time.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 4, 2021, 02:40:50 pm »
Really enjoying it. The tension keeps on getting ramped up episode to episode. Has to be watched with original audio/subtitles IMO

Question marks over the accuracy of the translations for the subtitles.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 4, 2021, 03:03:07 pm »
I'm just finishing series 5 of The Wire before i jump into this......its helpful to have a 14yo who is more clued up on good TV than myself.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #31 on: October 4, 2021, 03:30:25 pm »
Finally finished this last night, really good show and a proper fun watch.  The length of the whole thing was juuuust about right, though they could've cut down that last one.

Spoilery thoughts:

Spoiler
- Both major plot twists seemed fairly obvious, we called them really early on, but I don't think the show really satisfactorily explained the reasoning (and indeed the risk for the old guy) for each of them.
- The premise itself is crazy, but within that world you'd still expect people to still make sensible decisions.  Like all getting together and going to the police on the same day and explaining that there'll be a bunch of other people reported missing very soon - they could've made loads of money selling their story, going on talk shows, etc.  Or a lone policeman not telling anyone what he's up to when he's tracking the couriers.
- As everyone else has mentioned, the VIPs were AWFUL.  But so was the script for their parts, it's like I was watching two separate shows.  Wonder if they had some random English-speaker on work experience put together the dialogue for their scenes, because it was atrocious.
- The crazy woman was great, really fun performance from that actress.  Pretty much all the leads did a really good job, which was why the VIP stuff was so jarring.  Apparently, the actress who played the North Korean girl was a former model and this was her first gig as an actor.
- You can't tell people everyone gets an even chance and then on the bridge (hopscotch?) game, they turn the lights off for one person and then explode the bridge and risk the lives of people who've completed it.  Doesn't make sense within their own rules and felt a bit weird.
- Looks like I'm whingeing about loads but it's just nit-picking.  Really enjoyed the show and there'd better be a second series with red hair hunting them down.  The whole thing almost felt like a prologue for his real story, which is still to come.
[close]
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 4, 2021, 08:39:40 pm »

Apparently it shouldn't be

Squid Game subtitles 'change meaning' of Netflix show

Squid Game's "botched" subtitles have changed the show's meaning for English-speaking viewers, some Korean-speaking fans say.

The Korean-language drama is about an alternative world where people in debt compete in deadly games.

But fluent Korean speaker Youngmi Mayer claims the closed-caption subtitles in English are "so bad" that the original meaning is often lost.

Netflix hasn't yet responded to Newsbeat's request for a comment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58787264

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #33 on: October 4, 2021, 08:42:04 pm »
Apparently it shouldn't be

Squid Game subtitles 'change meaning' of Netflix show

Squid Game's "botched" subtitles have changed the show's meaning for English-speaking viewers, some Korean-speaking fans say.

The Korean-language drama is about an alternative world where people in debt compete in deadly games.

But fluent Korean speaker Youngmi Mayer claims the closed-caption subtitles in English are "so bad" that the original meaning is often lost.

Netflix hasn't yet responded to Newsbeat's request for a comment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58787264

If you read the article it seems well meaning but possibly a bit pedantic. I don't really know why the dub and subs wouldn't be the same text anyway. I'm sure there are some turns of phrase and some Korean interpretations lost here and there but it might be the same with the dub.

ANd I've got too much on to start learning Korean ;D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 4, 2021, 10:59:06 pm »
Spoiler
Just watched episode 6. Fuck sake. Ali  :'()
[close]

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #35 on: October 4, 2021, 11:02:04 pm »

Question marks over the accuracy of the translations for the subtitles.

Yeah but only when the characters spoke in English  ;D

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 4, 2021, 11:54:25 pm »
Watched 3 more tonight and just finished episode 6, that was a deep episode.

Will finish it tomorrow night, loving it so far.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #37 on: October 5, 2021, 12:03:05 pm »
We tried with the subtitles, but too prone to not paying attention for a couple of minutes and completely losing whats going on so using the dubbed English version and its fine
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #38 on: October 5, 2021, 12:10:27 pm »
the dubbed english version, it's biggest issue comes with one of the actresses, you completely miss her character development because the voiceover in english plays her the same way all the way throughout the show making her seem like a constant psycho. Whilst you start to see her change when listening to the tones and exaggerations in the original languagew in her voice as the show develops
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan