Author Topic: His Dark Materials - TV Series [Please use Spoiler tags]  (Read 17777 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: His Dark Materials - TV Series
« Reply #80 on: December 6, 2020, 10:22:17 pm »
Haven't watched the second season yet, but liked the first one a lot, and was particularly impressed with the Iorek. I needed persuading on Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby, some of the casting from the film was so perfect, Eva Green as the witch, Sam Elliot as Lee Scoresby, Daniel Craig as Asriel and Nicole Kidman as Mrs Coulter were all perfect. The girl in this version is great though.

Nicole Kidman is not in the same league as Ruth Wilson as Mrs Coulter she is brilliant.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #81 on: December 6, 2020, 10:46:03 pm »
Haven't watched the second season yet, but liked the first one a lot, and was particularly impressed with the Iorek. I needed persuading on Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby, some of the casting from the film was so perfect, Eva Green as the witch, Sam Elliot as Lee Scoresby, Daniel Craig as Asriel and Nicole Kidman as Mrs Coulter were all perfect. The girl in this version is great though.

I am sure you will enjoy the second season as well, just watched tonight's episode and it was amazing, flashed by in an instant. I am loving the chemistry of Lyra and Will in this they have written it really well. I liked parts of the film though I prefer this Lyra to the film one. Daniel Craig and Eva Green I agree were amazing. But I think Ruth Wilson is just as good as Mrs Coulter she is an amazing character with so many layers to her and you never know what she will do next.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 6, 2020, 10:46:51 pm »
Nicole Kidman is not in the same league as Ruth Wilson as Mrs Coulter she is brilliant.

I agree, she is amazing in this so multi-layered and the way she brings her to life is impressive. Loved that episode.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: December 6, 2020, 11:06:14 pm »

Could've been had she been given the same direction.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: December 6, 2020, 11:24:44 pm »

Could've been had she been given the same direction.

They have written her in a much more interesting way in this version, think the whole show flows by really naturally and love the way, the Lyra-Will dynamic is developing episode by episode now.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 6, 2020, 11:26:20 pm »
They have written her in a much more interesting way in this version, think the whole show flows by really naturally and love the way, the Lyra-Will dynamic is developing episode by episode now.

They've added the darkness that was missing.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: December 8, 2020, 08:25:09 pm »

They've added the darkness that was missing.

Yes. That, and and the religion.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: December 8, 2020, 11:56:00 pm »
While I would agree about it being darker and more on the religion what drives any good story is the characters. The characters for the most part in this are multi-layered and interesting. Also the difference there is in the worlds, the scene where Mrs Coulter met Mary Malone was especially well done. They have some really good supporting actors in this the chemistry between the young leads is developing nicely and it moves at a great pace. There are rumours they are already working on series three and there are only two more episodes left of this series.

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 9, 2020, 02:15:27 am »
I loved the books when I read them (prob 20 years ago now) and was really looking forward to this adaptation but must admit I found the 1st series difficult to engage with and was left feeling really disappointed. I think a large part was down to the casting; the kids playing Lyra and Will are no doubt likeable enough in real life but they felt too stage school to me, like toff kids hamming up their best cor blimey guvnor, knees up cockernee Oliver and Nancy for the end of year play. It was no real surprise to see they both come from acting families, they are very very precociously actorly. I've got the 2nd series on record but I've found myself avoiding watching it so far, which is never a good sign. Is there a big improvement on the first series or is it just more of the same ? 

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 9, 2020, 08:07:58 am »
I loved the books when I read them (prob 20 years ago now) and was really looking forward to this adaptation but must admit I found the 1st series difficult to engage with and was left feeling really disappointed. I think a large part was down to the casting; the kids playing Lyra and Will are no doubt likeable enough in real life but they felt too stage school to me, like toff kids hamming up their best cor blimey guvnor, knees up cockernee Oliver and Nancy for the end of year play. It was no real surprise to see they both come from acting families, they are very very precociously actorly. I've got the 2nd series on record but I've found myself avoiding watching it so far, which is never a good sign. Is there a big improvement on the first series or is it just more of the same ?

I guess everyone is different but I have the opposite view to be honest. I much prefer the Lyra in this to the one in the film, who I would have said seemed far more "posh." I think both of these actors are doing a great job, its a tough role and they are both still very young. I am not sure Amir Wilson even comes from an acting family. I loved series one as much as series two but I think the standard has been really good, considering what a challenge getting these books onto the small screen was always likely to be.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2020, 08:50:57 am by Jillc Bell Rock »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #90 on: December 9, 2020, 10:58:45 am »
Yes. That, and and the religion.

The religion has always been in the books that's what is all about really and even more so in the 3rd book.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 9, 2020, 01:06:35 pm »
I guess everyone is different but I have the opposite view to be honest. I much prefer the Lyra in this to the one in the film, who I would have said seemed far more "posh." I think both of these actors are doing a great job, its a tough role and they are both still very young. I am not sure Amir Wilson even comes from an acting family. I loved series one as much as series two but I think the standard has been really good, considering what a challenge getting these books onto the small screen was always likely to be.

Ah yes sorry, my mistake - I meant the actor playing Roger not Will.

Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind when watching it before and should give it another go. I'd probably need to have  recap of the 1st series before starting on the 2nd anyway.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: December 9, 2020, 01:10:51 pm »
Ah yes sorry, my mistake - I meant the actor playing Roger not Will.

Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind when watching it before and should give it another go. I'd probably need to have  recap of the 1st series before starting on the 2nd anyway.

Don't worry, I do that myself loads of times. Having said that Will didn't come in until ep five, so I should have realised you meant Roger!  ;D

I would recommend giving it another go its the highlight of my week tv wise. I just hope they make it to the third and last series. There are rumours they are working on a final series, but as ever how long it will take is anyone's guess.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2020, 05:03:18 pm by Jillc Bell Rock »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2020, 11:24:45 pm »
Another brilliantly acted episode cannot believe next week is the last of series two. Some excellent shots in the episode the filming is spectacular. I also love the way they are developing the relationship between Lyra and Will. The two young actors are doing a fine job.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2020, 11:28:01 pm »
Another brilliantly acted episode cannot believe next week is the last of series two. Some excellent shots in the episode the filming is spectacular. I also love the way they are developing the relationship between Lyra and Will. The two young actors are doing a fine job.

It's a shame that we're not going to get the full arc this year.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2020, 11:42:37 pm »
It's a shame that we're not going to get the full arc this year.

I agree, having said that it’s still going to be pretty brutal next week. At least they they are already working on the last series.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2020, 11:58:33 pm »
There is a good interview with Jack Thorne one of the writers of the show. According to the interview he has written four episodes of series three, but the show is still to be confirmed for a final series. They had better renew this.

https://t.co/4p8FMahi7t?amp=1

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2020, 02:41:26 pm »
Just thought I would remind people who are watching this, it starts at the earlier time of 7.10pm tonight.

Offline Bcnsean

• Main Stander
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2020, 06:32:24 pm »
Just thought I would remind people who are watching this, it starts at the earlier time of 7.10pm tonight.
Cheers

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2020, 07:57:03 pm »
So good.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2020, 08:29:49 pm »
So good.

It was brilliant wasn't it. Full marks to the cast and crew, now just  have to wait to see when the last series hits.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2020, 08:49:42 pm »
That was Brilliant and I always thought book 3 was the more downbeat one.

Loved the little teaser they had at the end and it was great we had a Lord Asriel scene such a shame we lost the Lord Asriel story line episode I wonder if they can add some of it to the 3rd series.

It's a shame we didn't see "them" so wanted to see how they will imagine them from the page to the screen.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2020, 09:05:57 pm »
That was Brilliant and I always thought book 3 was the more downbeat one.

Loved the little teaser they had at the end and it was great we had a Lord Asriel scene such a shame we lost the Lord Asriel story line episode I wonder if they can add some of it to the 3rd series.

It's a shame we didn't see "them" so wanted to see how they will imagine them from the page to the screen.

Yes, that was an unexpected surprise the Asriel scene. Having said that, I knew something was happening as I was following the twitter account of HDM and it did say there would be a Christmas treat. They sound quite confident they will get series three confirmed. They are sending off six scripts to HBO/BBC so hopefully it will all be confirmed shortly.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2020, 05:40:53 am »
I didn't know anything about the Asriel scene I thought they had lost everything even when his voice came on I thought it was Will shouting I would have loved to have seen more of him building his Angel army.

"My fight is with the Authority and those doling out cruelties in his name, those who seek to divide in order to control and who have built worlds founded on privilege and divine right rather than care and need.

Join me and we will build a new Republic of Heaven above and a new Republic of ideals below"
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 06:24:15 am by Trada »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2020, 06:52:01 am »
I didn't know anything about the Asriel scene I thought they had lost everything even when his voice came on I thought it was Will shouting I would have loved to have seen more of him building his Angel army.

"My fight is with the Authority and those doling out cruelties in his name, those who seek to divide in order to control and who have built worlds founded on privilege and divine right rather than care and need.

Join me and we will build a new Republic of Heaven above and a new Republic of ideals below"

By the sounds of it they only decided to do this at the very end. That last scene with Will was amazing, especially having donned his father's coat I somehow expected it to still be his dad! It's a great scene the Asriel one at the end. Also, sums of Philip Pullman and his views, he despises the Eton set, Boris and Brexit. He is always scathing about it on his twitter account. As a story this has as much relevance today as it did any other time, that's the beauty of it.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2020, 12:16:06 am »
Really enjoyed the season. Still not sold on Scoresby - he’s just not even in the ballpark of the character  I read all those years ago. I can’t help think someone like Jeffrey Dean Morgan would’ve been better (only cos Sam Elliot is a bit old now). I only just found out that Fr McPhail is dafne keen’s (Lyra) dad in real life

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2020, 01:41:35 pm »
Really enjoyed the season. Still not sold on Scoresby - he’s just not even in the ballpark of the character  I read all those years ago. I can’t help think someone like Jeffrey Dean Morgan would’ve been better (only cos Sam Elliot is a bit old now). I only just found out that Fr McPhail is dafne keen’s (Lyra) dad in real life

It was quite funny, Dafne was answering qestions on twitter about the show and she said it wasn't the first time she acted with her father and he had ordered her character's death. It sounds like its a habit.  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2020, 05:00:50 pm »
It has just been confirmed there will be a season three.  ;D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2020, 05:20:37 pm »
Never in doubt was it ?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2020, 05:39:51 pm »
Never in doubt was it ?

It hadn't been officially confirmed, as they'd only just sent the scripts. The channel in the States too, the audience was down so people were fretting a bit. But I have just read on one of the reports that on iplayer alone there have been 30 million clicks for this show. So, its certainly still getting a good watching.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2020, 06:23:06 pm »
I got all of my nieces and nephews into the books, but weirdly none of them like the tv show. Must be mostly an adult audience.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2020, 07:37:23 pm »
I got all of my nieces and nephews into the books, but weirdly none of them like the tv show. Must be mostly an adult audience.

There are loads of youngsters on tumblr who adore the television show as well as the books.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2020, 08:39:15 pm »
It hadn't been officially confirmed, as they'd only just sent the scripts. The channel in the States too, the audience was down so people were fretting a bit. But I have just read on one of the reports that on iplayer alone there have been 30 million clicks for this show. So, its certainly still getting a good watching.

It did really well on the BBC nearly 7M viewers when Iplayer taken into account 6 best watched show of the week only beaten by Strictly and Countryfile that was for episode 6   

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2020, 08:42:01 pm »

People went mad for it on Twitter book readers and none book readers its hard to find a bad thing said about it and that's very strange for Twitter

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2020, 08:44:39 pm »
BBC Press Office
@bbcpress

The third series #HisDarkMaterials
 - based on The Amber Spyglass - has been commissioned by @BBCOne
, with production starting in Cardiff in 2021

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2020, 11:48:09 am »
Only on episode 5 at the moment but been a brilliant second series so far and really like the part Ruth Wilson plays . Weirdly enough she has done lots of different things but only ever seen her on this and Luther
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2020, 04:56:09 pm »
Only on episode 5 at the moment but been a brilliant second series so far and really like the part Ruth Wilson plays . Weirdly enough she has done lots of different things but only ever seen her on this and Luther

The second series has been my favourite, the best decision the show makers made was bringing Will into series one. It has meant they can show a full season of them getting to know one another fully and means earlier episodes weren't wasted showing Will's past. It's also enabled them to develop the likes of Mrs Coulter even more and made the characters even more complex as a result.

Spoiler
I am still not over that finale. 
[close]

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2020, 07:37:14 pm »
For those who have read the books, which was your favourite one?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2020, 12:29:24 am »

I found this on youtube, brilliantly staged.

https://youtu.be/NOxBYe-TJ1g

Online McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2020, 09:40:44 am »
Only just able to venture in here as I e caught up with the show....(not a book reader and I was hugely put off by the film which was a mess and didn't get any of the grand ideas across).

Really enjoyed this show; season two has really developed from the first and though there are a few holes here and there it's been a great ride.