Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 441781 times)

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #4120 on: October 16, 2021, 11:29:07 am »
That Danielson vs Suzuki match was a banger, rampage was far better then Smackdown last night

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4121 on: October 16, 2021, 12:13:12 pm »
That Danielson vs Suzuki match was a banger, rampage was far better then Smackdown last night

Yip, Danielson vs Suzuki was amazing, and free on YouTube too.  Great stuff, Suzuki's forearms are vicious as hell.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4122 on: October 16, 2021, 02:42:43 pm »
Suzuki is probably my favourite wrestler. The fact that he is so good and is near enough the same age as the Undertaker and how he looks, Jesus.

I went to a few New Japan shows in Japan he was on with my mate who doesn't really know wrestling. He legit thought he was like 35

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4123 on: October 17, 2021, 07:02:07 am »
I’ve been watching Dark Side of the Ring which is fascinating and grim at the same time. I’ve finished the 2 seasons on All4, any idea if/when season 3 comes out in the UK? Vice haven’t even got a channel over here anymore either.
You can find all the episodes on youtube/dailymotion.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4124 on: October 18, 2021, 02:11:02 pm »
Ibushi won Block A of G1 Climax which honestly feels super uninspiring. Ibushi is a fantastic wrestler but he just doesn't come off as much of a star as others. He hasn't got the Charisma of Okada or Tanahashi or Naito, he isn't as good as Shingo Takagi, he isn't particularly interesting. He is slowly turning I to KUSHIDA -very good but the least interesting heavily pushed star in the promotion. Also he wasn't helped by being the face of title unification with just moronic logic from him explaining the positives of it.

They really had something with ZSJ "breaking" Naito which I feel they should have ran with. Instead we have Ibushi and Okada in the final, Okada probably winning, and NJPW probably treading water for another 6 to 12 months or so

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #4125 on: October 18, 2021, 02:34:15 pm »
Problem with Ibushi is that his character hasn't changed, ever. Pure whitemeat babyface but he never even has periods of self-doubt. He's won the last three A-Blocks now? And of course won the B Block in 2018 too. They've turned him into Mr G1

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4126 on: October 18, 2021, 03:10:05 pm »
Problem with Ibushi is that his character hasn't changed, ever. Pure whitemeat babyface but he never even has periods of self-doubt. He's won the last three A-Blocks now? And of course won the B Block in 2018 too. They've turned him into Mr G1

Reached the last 4 G1 finals, won the last 2 G1's in all.

I think the big problem with him is  as you say he has no character arc, no self doubt, but also, no real organic rivals anymore now that Omega has gone. They kinda have him and Okada, but that feuds has (relatively speaking) had so many matches in the space of 2 years after nothing for years that it feels forced.

On the character, even Tana, the most Babyface of all babyfaces, had periods of adversity, particularly as he got older and the question creeps in of if his time had passed or can he still be The Ace.

I still very much think Zack should have won Block A. The story fell in their lap for him, and it would establish a new, young, foreign heel main eventers, who wrestles a style that will hardly ever injure him or his rivals, is a good clash against other competitors, had great matches with pretty much everyone, who has committed to Japan (unlike Ospreay and White who I wouldn't be shocked if they moved, although maybe not now with WWE's change in recruitment)

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4127 on: October 18, 2021, 11:23:07 pm »
So I hate the whole ratings war thing, but I do find it hilarious that WWE showed their hand by not leaking the key demo numbers, because a pretty standard Rampage drew with a stacked "Super Smackdown" (which to be fair was on a different channel but still) in the key demo.

Also makes me laugh because it made it real easy to see the journalists WWE are favouring at the moment (and the same for AEW to be fair)

It's all handbags but it is pretty funny to me  ;D

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4128 on: October 19, 2021, 11:00:07 am »
Ruby Soho and the fucking BUNNY getting the same key demo rating as Lesnar and Reigns is just ludicrous.  Vince must be doing his nut.

Wrestling viewing figures aren't what they used to be, and they'll likely never reach those levels again, but it's good to see a bit of needle between companies like this and it can only encourage both to up their game.  The big worry for WWE is that when it's time to renew their TV deal, the TV companies will be able to point to AEW's performance being not far behind WWE's, but for a hell of a lot less money.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4129 on: October 19, 2021, 11:15:32 am »
Ruby Soho and the fucking BUNNY getting the same key demo rating as Lesnar and Reigns is just ludicrous.  Vince must be doing his nut.

I actually like the Bunny overall, but it doesn't help that she's been involved in some of the worst angles that AEW has done, and her career has basically all been a bit stop/start and inconsistent.

She first spent months as Allie being hounded by Brandi's Nightmare Collective, only for that to all fizzle out quickly. Then she randomly appeared as Bunny with Butcher and Blade coming out from inside the ring to attack Cody as part of some sort of MJF ploy in that feud. Then she just hung around as a valet until the pandemic hit, stranding lots of talent in their hometowns. She reappeared alone as Allie again chatting up QT for some reason, and then was forced to team with Brandi of all people. And then just when they started to get on a roll and it seemed like she wasn't about to turn heel, Blade reappeared, and the storyline became entirely about QT/Dustin vs Butcher and Blade.

Everything she does in AEW just gets dropped before it resolves, which has to be frustrating as talent. She was pushed as part of the original crop of women on the roster, although the division has moved on massively since then.

I don't really know who the WWE guys are so can't comment on the comparison.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4130 on: October 19, 2021, 11:16:13 am »

Wrestling viewing figures aren't what they used to be, and they'll likely never reach those levels again, but it's good to see a bit of needle between companies like this and it can only encourage both to up their game.  The big worry for WWE is that when it's time to renew their TV deal, the TV companies will be able to point to AEW's performance being not far behind WWE's, but for a hell of a lot less money.

The big thing I do feel is no matter what they are going to lose Fox. There's a lot of talk that Fox just aren't happy with both viewership and being screwed on talent (they were promised Becky and Brock and got neither).

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4131 on: October 19, 2021, 11:19:58 am »
Well WWE have their big build match of the year this week.

*checks the day and time*

Thursday at 9am PT/ noon ET (American time).

Yeah that sweet Saudi money is worth it.... Perfect time to pull in those 18-49 people. When they are all in school/at work

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4132 on: October 19, 2021, 11:20:50 am »
I don't really know who the WWE guys are so can't comment on the comparison.

Reigns is they undisputed strongest most pushed star with Paul Heyman as a manager, WWE champ and beat everyone.

And Lesnar is of course Lesnar, their biggest part time attraction other than Cena and The Rock if they can ever get him back properly.

Like these were WWE's biggest hitters, along with Sasha and Becky just before that (biggest female hitters). Like they are on another channel sure, but still going for a tie with Rampage on in a death slot time is a bad look, they stacked that Smackdown to crush Rampage

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4133 on: October 19, 2021, 11:23:07 am »
The Bunny is better as a valet, I think.  She's just not good enough in-ring, and her I'M CRAZEE BTW mannerisms are really goofy at times.  Emi Sakura looking to build a stable is hopefully a step in the right direction for the women's division there and will get more involved in proper storylines.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4134 on: October 19, 2021, 11:24:58 am »
Well WWE have their big build match of the year this week.

*checks the day and time*

Thursday at 9am PT/ noon ET (American time).

Yeah that sweet Saudi money is worth it.... Perfect time to pull in those 18-49 people. When they are all in school/at work

The Saudi shows are the biggest example of WWE being more of a content factory than for fans. They morph programming to get big big matches on a show barely any of the usual fans will watch or care about, whilst also bending some feuds to have weird dream matches for the Saudi crowd (like in previous shows where they bring back DX and Brothers if Destruction on weekly programming for a weird retro return match in Saudi).

I mean business wise it makes sense I guess, the Saudi shows nearly double their yearly profits (even if I greatly disagree with them obviously). But yeah, the programming doesn't have to matter or be good or logical so long as it makes money, and they get their money from NBC, Fox, and Saudi now, not really the fans

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4135 on: October 19, 2021, 11:25:13 am »
WWE did everything they possibly could to take on AEW. They threw out the adverts, put their main event to overlap the start of AEW and closed off with their go-home portion for their big build storyline of whether Paul Heyman will turn on Reigns.

with all that Smackdown beat AEW (by not much) in the overall numbers but pretty much tied AEW in 18-49.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4136 on: October 19, 2021, 11:27:26 am »
The Bunny is better as a valet, I think.  She's just not good enough in-ring, and her I'M CRAZEE BTW mannerisms are really goofy at times.  Emi Sakura looking to build a stable is hopefully a step in the right direction for the women's division there and will get more involved in proper storylines.

They are doing better with the women now - slowly building up a stronger roster, and introducing a new belt for further feuds.

I really do hope they get Kairi Sane/Hojo if WWE Japan dying voids her contract. Was always Omega's dream pick for the women and would bring very real quality

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4137 on: October 19, 2021, 11:29:55 am »
I mean business wise it makes sense I guess, the Saudi shows nearly double their yearly profits (even if I greatly disagree with them obviously). But yeah, the programming doesn't have to matter or be good or logical so long as it makes money, and they get their money from NBC, Fox, and Saudi now, not really the fans

WWE makes more money with this Saudi deal than they have made in ticket sales at every single Wrestlemania combined (since inception of Wrestlemania). It really is a joke.

Assuming the plane takes off this year and makes it back for Smackdown in time then this is the time to reboot everything. New draft takes effect, new stories, new direction. Lets see if they are serious

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4138 on: October 19, 2021, 11:35:41 am »
WWE makes more money with this Saudi deal than they have made in ticket sales at every single Wrestlemania combined (since inception of Wrestlemania). It really is a joke.

Assuming the plane takes off this year and makes it back for Smackdown in time then this is the time to reboot everything. New draft takes effect, new stories, new direction. Lets see if they are serious

There not gonna do that unfortunately. The guys up top are Vince, Kevin Dunn, and Bruce Pritchard. Hardly individuals on the cutting edge of modern consumer wants. They would be considered outdated wrestling minds in the 90's never mind today.

But they make a lot of TV and good at getting deals. They'll make money beside themselves on the business aspect, just don't expect a particularly brilliant product from it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 11:38:09 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #4139 on: October 19, 2021, 11:59:33 am »
Bruce Pritchard

In my best Alabama drawl

Don't put a T in his name put one on your back
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4140 on: October 21, 2021, 12:08:52 pm »
So Shibata wrestled a 5 minute exhibition match with ZSJ

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4141 on: October 21, 2021, 12:14:01 pm »
And now Ibushi vs Okada ended early due to legitimate injury

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4142 on: October 21, 2021, 12:37:46 pm »
And now Ibushi vs Okada ended early due to legitimate injury
Just seen the injury to Ibushi, Phoenix Splash and landed on his own arm crushing it, fuck. Might be a wrist + elbow + shoulder multi-injury.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4143 on: October 21, 2021, 12:39:51 pm »
Just seen the injury to Ibushi, Phoenix Splash and landed on his own arm crushing it, fuck. Might be a wrist + elbow + shoulder multi-injury.

Seems definitely shoulder and wrist - looks like a broken wrist (as it was floppy looking) and dislocated shoulder (as they looked to pop it back in).

A bad one for sure, really feel for the guy. Hopefully they can make chicken salad out of chicken shit and give some form of compelling arc for Ibushi from this.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4144 on: October 21, 2021, 01:16:51 pm »
ZSJ is the perfect opponent for Shibata to ease back into wrestling against.  Great to see him back, but hope he's not taking any risks.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4145 on: October 21, 2021, 01:50:59 pm »
ZSJ is the perfect opponent for Shibata to ease back into wrestling against.  Great to see him back, but hope he's not taking any risks.

He didn't take a single bump in his match, but it is a somewhat clear direction

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4146 on: October 21, 2021, 03:52:20 pm »
not a great website to link but it was either that or an ad riddled mirror site or the site beginning with s we dont like

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/wwe-2021-concerns-hacksaw-jim-duggan-hospitalisation-202548743.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJXiUdmVI18G4tLWxkTSgkpDrOAgZFOF9xZDtfWw0JwB06YcIZIDQ59k10NegU1xo2rOC15eKmxxJHlcv4xWi5vw7GTI0rFO2HFBAL2bAUiJ4pS4kGnKycyhW-56okSMaHaZa1gBehpgVZ00HXTB-_-hxBKwngQUd7GWGM9J43_j

hacksaw jim duggan rushed to hospital but seems to be over worst

Not a great wrestler at all but i liked him

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #4147 on: October 21, 2021, 04:04:55 pm »
See WWE are in Saudi Arabia tonight. An easy swerve on that one, plain and simple. Do one Vince.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4148 on: October 21, 2021, 04:12:30 pm »
Undertaker must really need the money.  Bet he ends up interfering in a match, as requested by the Saudi prince.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4149 on: October 21, 2021, 04:43:55 pm »
Undertaker must really need the money.  Bet he ends up interfering in a match, as requested by the Saudi prince.

Got to remember this guy has had 2 divorces, and there are vague grumblings of him making some bad investments.

Guy kept going back to Mania and taking the Saudi money for a reason.

Also by the looks of some pictures, he absolutely loves the hospitality put on when they go over

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4150 on: October 21, 2021, 04:44:57 pm »

Can just see it now. The Undertaker appearing in the main event tombstoning both Roman Reigns and Brock followed by rolling his eyes and looking into the camera with those famous 3 words.

"Why aye man"

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4151 on: October 21, 2021, 04:51:29 pm »
He's never going to wrestle again. He's made that clear. But making some extra cash on appearances and Netflix interactive specials then can't blame him

He'll need hip replacements later in life. He's got kids etc.

His legacy died the second he let Lesnar break the streak

So Vince has got his own plane, so has Lesnar and Reigns. The rest are flying commercial. They have today's event then have to get back to Milwaukee in time for Smackdown tomorrow.

That is assuming they don't have flight clearance issues like 2 years ago

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4152 on: October 21, 2021, 10:02:40 pm »
Didn't watch Crown Jewel but pleased to see Xavier Woods getting a big singles moment.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4153 on: October 21, 2021, 10:10:26 pm »
He introduced Pitbull to the stage last night at his concert in Riyadh. He loves that Saudi money.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4154 on: October 23, 2021, 07:47:38 pm »
JR has skin cancer.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4155 on: October 26, 2021, 11:39:42 am »
Jesus Christ, poor Jimmy Rave.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4156 on: October 26, 2021, 11:41:17 am »

Don't really know anything about him as a wrestler but that story is just awful.  And the picture of his medical bill is insane.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4157 on: October 26, 2021, 01:38:16 pm »
WWE are looking at running their September 2022 PPV at either Cardiff or Wembley.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4158 on: October 26, 2021, 01:56:35 pm »
WWE are looking at running their September 2022 PPV at either Cardiff or Wembley.

Wonder if that's off the back of the Craven Cottage talk from AEW.  Would be good to get a couple of big shows over here either way.

This Charlotte stuff is really interesting.  They've invested so, so much into her and now she's kicking off and being a bit of a bellend they're in a tough spot because they can't let her go to AEW so she can basically call the shots.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4159 on: October 26, 2021, 02:08:03 pm »
https://twitter.com/TheJimmyRave/status/1452337822938042373

Holy shit. I watched and loved him as a villain in the early ROH days with The Embassy.