Author Topic: Commuting to Salford/Manchester  (Read 22120 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Commuting to Salford/Manchester
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 09:44:16 am »
This is it. Great salary and the prospect of working with great, international brands in my field of work. May just have to stick it out!

I'd deffo not try to put you off, as it sounds like you'd be nuts to turn the job down, just making you aware its a twat of a commute. I worked in the Hire side of our business a 5 minute walk from my house, but the change of roles to working in IT as a developer on our own in house system meant I couldn't turn the chance down, even though the salary was shite at the time (15k in 2001) and the commute was a nightmare.

Just be careful, you might end up falling for a Manc and moving over here like I did  ;)
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 09:55:46 am »
I'd deffo not try to put you off, as it sounds like you'd be nuts to turn the job down, just making you aware its a twat of a commute. I worked in the Hire side of our business a 5 minute walk from my house, but the change of roles to working in IT as a developer on our own in house system meant I couldn't turn the chance down, even though the salary was shite at the time (15k in 2001) and the commute was a nightmare.

Just be careful, you might end up falling for a Manc and moving over here like I did  ;)

Absolutely - all the feedback is appreciated!

I work as a Digital Designer, mainly websites and apps, and so far in my career, I've worked in-house and worked with clients. The roles working with clients were mainly recruitment agencies and small businesses, so nothing too special.

I went for a job with an agency in Liverpool that I know I'd do very well at but got knocked back because I don't have experience working with large, international brands - as you can imagine it's highly frustrating.

With this role I'd be taking sole ownership of the design department, working on perfecting the delivery process as well as the creative, as well as developing my own UX skills. The clientele is a load of household brands - something I don't think I can turn down to be honest!

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 10:22:24 am »
You have to go for it. As much as the commute is a pain, your a young lad. Being offered a good salary and if it's that bad (as much as I hated it) you've got your foot in the door which will open other opportunities. The only reason I didn't like the commute is probably coz I'm an old fart. I'm 41 now and would never do it. Best of luck fella sounds like a great opportunity. Stick the commute out. If you love the job then think of other options to get there or move house. Work life balance is extremely important to me. Now that I'm a bit older. I leave for work at 7am and I'm home by 5-15 latest. It's not so bad when your young .
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 10:45:14 am »
1 minute commute to my office, although can sometimes face unforeseen delays like a lost slipper which can double this commute.

Warehouse is a good hour away now I've moved to the centre though and it's becoming a bit of a ballache already (been 2 months, head there maybe 4 times a week) and counting down the days until I get it moved closer again as all this driving is just a waste of my time!

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 12:37:34 pm »
I worked in Stockport for 5 years, 4 of them was using the train. That took 90 minutes there and then 90 minutes back so it was 15 hours a week commuting. The drive wasn't much better and that could take up to 2 hours depending on the roads

I did a year in Manc City Centre and that was slightly more palatable coming in at just under an hour there and an hour back plus the walk to the office. I didn't know any better because these were my 1st roles out of uni so I was just happy to be starting in a career. Now I've changed jobs and I'm working in town it's 30 minutes door to door on the train and honestly my quality of life has got so much better. I'm home at 6 latest every night, I have time to sit with the Mrs, go out after work if I want, play football again

Honestly a commute of an hour or more each way a day will suck the life out of you

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2017, 12:57:37 pm »
Fuck doing that. Then again my commute is getting out of bed to turn the computer on and cant imagine working for anyone or anywhere else ever again so probably not best positioned to comment. Heck of a journey though, especially when you've had a shit day, it's cold, the train is filled with annoying c*nts or packed etc, car is better but not without issues. I could never do it but you seem motivated for it so I wish ya well! Congrats on the job.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2017, 11:21:48 pm »
Forty grand a year. Buy a car yer mingebag!!!!
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2017, 11:01:57 am »
I commuted to Salford for nearly two years. The job was a good opportunity to push my career forward, but the commuting slowly ground me down, to a point one day where I was sat in a queue on the M60 with my head in my hands, completely lost sight of why I was doing it anymore. I was putting in a day a week in unpaid overtime, the commute could take anything from 50 minutes to (if there was an incident) two and a half hours, the average was about an hour. Public transport would have been more expensive, and taken longer, and i needed my car for business mileage (renumerated at a generous 15p a mile..!!)

I got what I needed from the job and moved on. You could take the job mate, if you can accept that it's a short term thing to get what you need from it. I think that commute would break most people if they did it longer than a couple of years.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2017, 11:40:26 am »
I commuted to Salford for nearly two years. The job was a good opportunity to push my career forward, but the commuting slowly ground me down, to a point one day where I was sat in a queue on the M60 with my head in my hands, completely lost sight of why I was doing it anymore. I was putting in a day a week in unpaid overtime, the commute could take anything from 50 minutes to (if there was an incident) two and a half hours, the average was about an hour. Public transport would have been more expensive, and taken longer, and i needed my car for business mileage (renumerated at a generous 15p a mile..!!)

I got what I needed from the job and moved on. You could take the job mate, if you can accept that it's a short term thing to get what you need from it. I think that commute would break most people if they did it longer than a couple of years.

I did Southport to Manchester for 6 years and looking back I've no idea how I did it. I moved to Burscough in 2006 and that knocked about 20 minutes off my morning commute, but it was still an hour and a half. I learnt all kinds of back roads so that I could avoid the queues. Worst one I had was when they shut the Thelwall and Barton Bridges due to high winds, 3 and a half hours to get to work.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2017, 03:57:21 pm »
How about 2 or 3 nights per week in someone's cheap spare bedroom and commute only 1 or 2 days.
Kill the humourless

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2017, 04:44:35 pm »
How about 2 or 3 nights per week in someone's cheap spare bedroom and commute only 1 or 2 days.
Oooh Matron!!!!
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2017, 05:02:39 pm »
Oooh Matron!!!!
If he's lucky.

I'd design my social/work lifestyle around each city depending on the night.

The world's your oyster, mate.
Kill the humourless

Online TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2017, 05:00:02 am »
I've worked in Manchester for 4.5 years, the company I worked for at the time I took the job was about to fold, no opportunities in my sector in Liverpool so basically had no choice - either start again with another career path (at 29) or do it -  and my eldest was 6 months old which helped to focus my mind. Similar to the OP, the company I now work for also works with some of the biggest brands in the world which appealed to me, and I managed to negotiate 2 days a week working from home into my contract.

I drive from the Wirral (would probably get the train if I lived in Liverpool) leave at about 6.20/30 up the 62 - the main target is being past croft before 7am - can't stand being stood still in the queues there. As everyone else has said, the winter months can sometimes be unbearable! It's fine for the odd day to go wrong with an accident or whatever, but if you have a week of bad weather or just bad luck it can be bloody soul destroying.

My decision to move, from a career point of view, has been about as good as I could've imagined, the company is growing rapidly and I've progressed / been rewarded well. I'd love to see my kids more but I also want to be able to give them a decent life. My plan was to stay for a couple of years but I'm likely to stay for the foreseeable now.

If you feel like the job is worth it and that you are resilient enough to stick it out then go for it, find some good podcasts and try and negotiate some flexibility with days at home and/or working patterns to fit around the traffic.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2017, 05:38:38 am »
You should ask the HR Department "Will I be working with Mancs?" If they say yes, bin it off. Not worth it.
We are Liverpool!

Online TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2017, 09:33:41 pm »
Took me 2.5 hours to get in to work yesterday and 2 hours home. I retract everything I said ^!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2017, 10:58:00 am »
Took me 2.5 hours to get in to work yesterday and 2 hours home. I retract everything I said ^!

I left at 4:45 the same night as my lad had footy, still took me half an hour to do 5 miles , two of the lads stayed in the office until 7:15 as there was no point them trying to set off home. I came out the powerzone just after 7 and the M60 was still at a standstill. The area cannot cope with the amount of traffic or the shit drivers. Mancs and people from the surrounding areas are shit drivers anyway, one bit of rain and it goes to utter shit.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2017, 10:59:08 am »
I left at 4:45 the same night as my lad had footy, still took me half an hour to do 5 miles , two of the lads stayed in the office until 7:15 as there was no point them trying to set off home. I came out the powerzone just after 7 and the M60 was still at a standstill. The area cannot cope with the amount of traffic or the shit drivers. Mancs and people from the surrounding areas are shit drivers anyway, one bit of rain and it goes to utter shit.

So, every day then? If anyone should be able to handle driving in a bit of rain surely it should be Mancs?!

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2017, 11:00:22 am »
Why don't you just move closer to work? The job seems well paying too so it'd hardly be a problem.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2017, 11:39:55 am »
So, every day then? If anyone should be able to handle driving in a bit of rain surely it should be Mancs?!

You'd think so but their tiny little minds just cannot cope  ;)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2017, 11:48:09 am »
if it was me id be looking at digs for a few days a week just to break the monotony up as that journey would do my swede in.......I was a service engineer for many years and a weekly travel plan could include Dundee to Devon, Carlisle to Canterbury and I loved it...after leaving that place I got a job based every day in Chester and had to commute from South Liverpool every morning across the Runcorn Bridge and then through the middle of Chester and coming home was even worse.....lost the will to live after abar 6 weeks and threw my hand in.......plenty of budget gaffs around Trafford park...id be checking them out along with a manchester gig guide ...make the stay in the shithole as bearable as possible  ;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.