Author Topic: Draft Towers  (Read 319258 times)

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Draft Towers
« Reply #5240 on: December 7, 2021, 08:56:33 pm »
A draft were someone else picks your player but, you pick their one back. Be careful who you pick for your oppisition ;D

It could be like a Secret Santa draft. Every round, you get randomly assigned a team to pick players for.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5241 on: December 7, 2021, 08:58:36 pm »
It could be like a Secret Santa draft. Every round, you get randomly assigned a team to pick players for.

Could do that.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5242 on: December 7, 2021, 10:03:26 pm »
The proper Santa draft would be a '11 red teams XI' where you have to pick players representing 11 clubs/countries clad in red ;D

Liverpool, United, Bayern, Roma, Benfica, Lille, Internacional, Independiente, Spain, Portugal, Russia, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Czechia, Wales, Chile, Serbia, Turkey, South Korea, Egypt and Belgium to name a few. Dozens of countries playing in red at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2021, 10:07:14 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #5243 on: December 9, 2021, 08:05:08 am »
Would that draft be plagued with controversy based on sides who’ve had Red away kits etc? I suppose being explicit in the OP would work.

I’d still like to revisit my ‘Seeded PL’ draft, though maybe after some time’s passed as we’re currently drafting PL players. It would certainly make for unique teams though and a lot of thinking.

My other idea I’d be happy to run is a league eras draft. You’d be randomly assigned a league and era then have to create a team. Could do 5 year spells or 10 if there’s not as many participants. So someone might get Serie A 1990-95, someone else La Liga 1995-2000 and another England 1980-85 etc. It would still be a draft - so for example the person with Premier League 2000-2005 might want to take Henry early as La Liga 2005-2010 could draft him also, etc.

To give an added layer of interest, each drafter could get two wildcard picks where they can take a player not of their given era but from another league, as long as they haven’t already been drafted, or a current
Modern player, whatever seems fairer (the first idea may lead to a couple of overly stacked teams).

I was thinking that the following would be the leagues, then you’d choose the size of the era dependent on the amount of drafters:

England
Spain
Italy
Germany
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5244 on: December 9, 2021, 08:46:46 am »
Would that draft be plagued with controversy based on sides who’ve had Red away kits etc? I suppose being explicit in the OP would work.

Red home shirts in 2021, not famous for white sleeves. Claret and maroon don't apply. Clear criteria there!

The biggest issue I have with draft where everyone doesn't draft about the same thing is that there's a competitive inbalance and a lack of this competitive thing of people stealing each others picks in front of their noses.

That being said I think a lot more interesting idea than the red shirt one would be 11 league champions from UEFA leagues in 11 different countries from a certain cutoff date (say 1990) to make it more difficult. Champions in smaller leagues would be hot property so it would be an interesting balancing act similar to this draft, but a lot more diversified. 1990 should be a good cutoff since that's when some countries ceased, Maradona and Barnes still won league titles and Eastern European players started moving west. You select a player for the league chosen and then you can't select another league champion from that country afterwards unless they also won the league in an eligible country! Iron-clad rules on it and full careers apply to avoid any confusion.

That's one I'd really like to do more than any other to be honest :wave
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5245 on: December 9, 2021, 09:20:24 am »

I’d still like to revisit my ‘Seeded PL’ draft, though maybe after some time’s passed as we’re currently drafting PL players. It would certainly make for unique teams though and a lot of thinking.

My other idea I’d be happy to run is a league eras draft. You’d be randomly assigned a league and era then have to create a team. Could do 5 year spells or 10 if there’s not as many participants. So someone might get Serie A 1990-95, someone else La Liga 1995-2000 and another England 1980-85 etc. It would still be a draft - so for example the person with Premier League 2000-2005 might want to take Henry early as La Liga 2005-2010 could draft him also, etc.

To give an added layer of interest, each drafter could get two wildcard picks where they can take a player not of their given era but from another league, as long as they haven’t already been drafted, or a current
Modern player, whatever seems fairer (the first idea may lead to a couple of overly stacked teams).

I was thinking that the following would be the leagues, then you’d choose the size of the era dependent on the amount of drafters:

England
Spain
Italy
Germany

I do like the seeding one, but I think you'd have to throw in a 'no-one can pick Liverpool' caveat.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5246 on: December 9, 2021, 10:03:41 am »
I do like the seeding one, but I think you'd have to throw in a 'no-one can pick Liverpool' caveat.
Possibly, the Liverpool weighting most certainly exists, my only draft win was when I had a Liverpool side (well, a Dalglish-managed players side) that beat a better Trappatoni side in the final. Might even have been yours Lobo. I think with the seeding, in my original post, you could only have max 3 and minimum 2 from each of your 4 teams, so at most you'd have 3 LFC players in your team, and there would only be the one drafter who'd have them. That would be caveated by the fact you'd also then have an Oldham or a Swindon if you had a Top Tier team, whereas for balance, another drafter might have teams from pots 2,2,3,3 as opposed to 1,2,3,4.

An idea anyway. These things can potentially become overly complex, but I think it could work. After what Trend did with the secret manager's draft, I don't think anything will rival it's complexity and the planning that had to go into it.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5247 on: December 9, 2021, 10:13:51 am »
Possibly, the Liverpool weighting most certainly exists, my only draft win was when I had a Liverpool side (well, a Dalglish-managed players side) that beat a better Trappatoni side in the final. Might even have been yours Lobo. I think with the seeding, in my original post, you could only have max 3 and minimum 2 from each of your 4 teams, so at most you'd have 3 LFC players in your team, and there would only be the one drafter who'd have them. That would be caveated by the fact you'd also then have an Oldham or a Swindon if you had a Top Tier team, whereas for balance, another drafter might have teams from pots 2,2,3,3 as opposed to 1,2,3,4.

An idea anyway. These things can potentially become overly complex, but I think it could work. After what Trend did with the secret manager's draft, I don't think anything will rival it's complexity and the planning that had to go into it.

I'd take them out completely. Because you've then got the added bonus of the other three likely 'top seeds' being United, City and Chelsea whose best players probably aren't big draft favourites anyway. Whereas United, City, Chelsea and Arsenal would be a lot more equal. I can just imagine someone getting Liverpool, Southampton, Hull and someone else and essentially being able to pick our side now but with added Gerrard ;D

It'd be a lot of work to work out the seedings and how picking would work but its definitely a good idea and not one I think we've done before

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5248 on: December 9, 2021, 10:46:55 am »
Yeah when you put it like that, it does make sense, plus, removing Liverpool doesn't necessarily remove LFC players from the draft, but what it does do is stop you having the example above of an LFC XI by pulling LFC, Southampton and Hull as 3 of your sides, which would definitely be possible because they'd likely be in different pots. The most anyone could do is maybe get VVD, Mane and Lallana maybe into their side.

My thinking on the pots:

Pot 1: Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal
Pot 2: Spurs, Villa, Southampton, West Ham, Blackburn, Everton, Leeds, Leicester, Newcastle Utd, Middlesbrough,  Sunderland, Wolves 
Pot 3: Fulham, Bolton, Brighton, Burnley, Charlton, Crystal Palace, Norwich, Portsmouth, QPR, Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, Stoke, Swansea, Watford, Wigan, Derby County, Forest
Pot 4: Barnsley, Birmingham City, Blackpool, Bournemouth, Bradford, Brentford, Cardiff, Coventry, Huddersfield, Hull, Ipswich, Oldham, Reading, Swindon, Wimbledon, WBA

These could be changed if any looked a particularly odd outlier.

3 minimum per team, 1990 - present day, minimum of 30 league appearances for chosen team, 1 wild card to pick a player from outside the time category, eg Clough for Sunderland, Robertson for Forest, Mackay for Derby etc - wild card will take up one of the slots of the side you're selecting for.

4 drafters (randomised) would get a pot 1, 2, 3 and 4 draw. 4 would get 2,2,3,3 and the rest would have 2,3,3,4 but perhaps an extra wildcard or even two. Could even do no wildcard if you've a pot one team, one wildcard for the 2,2,3,3s, two wildcards for the people selecting players from the bottom pot. Would still be a draft because there's tremendous cross over here, for example WBA drafters might want to take Lukaku early despite having picks available in better pots, so they can take him from the Chelsea and Everton drafters. You could draft from whatever team you have in whatever order you want, order would be randomised snak draft.

So to take the example above (you can tell I'm not allowing work to get in the way today), a drafter who got teams from 2,3,3,4 could draft the following:

Teams - Spurs, Stoke, Derby, Hull

Berbatov (Spurs)
                                   Bale (Spurs)                          (WC) Matthews (Stoke)

Modric (Spurs)        Lee (Derby)
                                                          (WC) Mackay (Derby)         

Roberston (Hull)    Maguire (Hull)   Woodgate (Stoke) Glen Johnson (Stoke)
                                                              Poom (Derby)

People would need to get creative and the wildcards for the drafters with weaker seeded teams means there's some greats from pre 1990 that can come and fill in if modern players are a touch underwhelming. I think it would make for a fairly competitive draft, no one would be ultra stacked.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2021, 10:51:20 am by Drinks Sangria »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5249 on: December 9, 2021, 10:53:15 am »
Technically, this was my idea from a while back, except I suggested one particular year in a single league so that there would be more scope for variation.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5250 on: December 9, 2021, 12:05:04 pm »
Technically, this was my idea from a while back, except I suggested one particular year in a single league so that there would be more scope for variation.
I'm all in on the Seeded Pots draft now Sheer, I do like your last idea though.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5251 on: December 9, 2021, 02:31:47 pm »
How many seed groups would there be? Presumably from multiple leagues and then we get to do the fours? My idea of an amendment would be a draft of the fours in the seeding groups and then require at least two players from each side.

I'd like to have selected English, Italian and Spanish clubs involved.

Maybe three players from a general pot one where everyone can freely pick of the five big clubs, then eight picks from another four pots, two per said list.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2021, 02:38:34 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5252 on: December 9, 2021, 02:46:28 pm »
It literally says 'Seeded PL Draft' :duh :duh

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5253 on: December 9, 2021, 02:50:41 pm »
It literally says 'Seeded PL Draft' :duh :duh

I know but we've just been doing a PL draft my friend :)
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5254 on: December 9, 2021, 02:53:27 pm »

As ever Linudden, reading properly is your friend and also seemingly your enemy.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5255 on: December 9, 2021, 03:02:44 pm »
As ever Linudden, reading properly is your friend and also seemingly your enemy.

I did read properly it was just a suggestion :) Thank you for watching over me though. It's always of great help!
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5256 on: December 9, 2021, 03:10:35 pm »
I did read properly

How many seed groups would there be? Presumably from multiple leagues and then we get to do the fours?

Clearly ;D

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5257 on: December 9, 2021, 03:12:07 pm »

Clearly ;D

:) :) :)

I'm in if the draft is held either way but think the idea could be fine-tuned with an open and strongly number-capped first pot.
Linudden.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5258 on: December 9, 2021, 07:47:36 pm »
Anyone got any ideas for none football drafts?  :(

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5259 on: December 9, 2021, 10:31:43 pm »
So many words, what are they all about?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5260 on: December 9, 2021, 11:06:05 pm »
Anyone got any ideas for none football drafts?  :(

Ok how about, wait for it, a draft with no football in it?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5261 on: December 10, 2021, 12:33:11 am »
This is serious matter old man, don't joke.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5262 on: December 10, 2021, 12:34:05 am »
This is serious matter old man, don't joke.

Cricket.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5263 on: December 10, 2021, 12:13:58 pm »
Participants of Trend's drafts are finding this complicated?

Basic premise - Seeded Teams, max 3 from any team, each team has to be represented within your XI and the worse seeded teams you get, the more wildcard picks you get. The wildcard allows you to pick players from any of your teams that aren't of the era of the draft, which is 1990 onwards.

I am happy to run it (and participate) once we've completed the current draft and had a few days off. Really needs 11-12 drafters to ensure a good spread of teams and players. Any more and there's not enough teams to go around. 12 is ideal because then there's only one team not represented in the draft.

Players would be judged on their entire career in England, not just their performance for that team. However, they would not be judged on their entire career outside of England, so the Hierro's and Valdes' are poor picks etc.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 12:24:41 pm by Drinks Sangria »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5264 on: December 10, 2021, 12:36:30 pm »
So many words, what are they all about?

DS had a cool idea about a seeded Premier League draft where teams are seeded and drafters get 3/4 of those teams of varying strength to pick their XI from. Linudden read this very carefully and then confirmed that he'd be able to select from AC Milan, Boca Juniors, Perth FC and the ASC Diaraf Under 15s. Samie then confirmed he's not got the ability to do football drafts anymore so asked if there are any non-football drafts, Sarge said cricket and Samie was upset.

Participants of Trend's drafts are finding this complicated?

Basic premise - Seeded Teams, max 3 from any team, each team has to be represented within your XI and the worse seeded teams you get, the more wildcard picks you get. The wildcard allows you to pick players from any of your teams that aren't of the era of the draft, which is 1990 onwards.

I am happy to run it (and participate) once we've completed the current draft and had a few days off. Really needs 11-12 drafters to ensure a good spread of teams and players. Any more and there's not enough teams to go around. 12 is ideal because then there's only one team not represented in the draft.

Players would be judged on their entire career in England, not just their performance for that team. However, they would not be judged on their entire career outside of England, so the Hierro's and Valdes' are poor picks etc.

Sounds spot on to me

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5265 on: December 10, 2021, 06:15:42 pm »
How does the seeding work, decide higher lower even?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5266 on: December 10, 2021, 06:28:42 pm »
DS had a cool idea about a seeded Premier League draft where teams are seeded and drafters get 3/4 of those teams of varying strength to pick their XI from. Linudden read this very carefully and then confirmed that he'd be able to select from AC Milan, Boca Juniors, Perth FC and the ASC Diaraf Under 15s. Samie then confirmed he's not got the ability to do football drafts anymore so asked if there are any non-football drafts, Sarge said cricket and Samie was upset.
Gotcha, thanks mate.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5267 on: December 10, 2021, 06:36:05 pm »
I'm in, ain't letting Sangria down one bit :scarf

If Batigol is your favourite ever player the taste is good and that's automatically rewarded.
Linudden.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5268 on: December 11, 2021, 09:12:09 am »
How does the seeding work, decide higher lower even?
I think this would need some democratic decisions - there can't be a hard set of rules as to what makes a Pot One Team - such as European Cups, because giving someone Forest or Villa as a Pot One Team is clearly not going to give you a side as strong as if you're getting Utd or Arsenal given it's 1990 onwards.

The pots I'd drawn up in the previous post could definitely use some finessing - like Spurs haven't won much at all but I think they should be pot one due to the quality of player they've had - with randomised draws if someone got say Man Utd and Spurs they can have Ronaldo, Modric, Berbatov, Bale, Keane and Ferdinand etc in their XI and that's blatantly too stacked, so I'd argue Spurs should be pot one. Similarly there's teams who've had some forms of sustained successes compared to their history, but their player pool is underwhelming to say the least, so they should drop into a lower pot. I'm talking the likes of Sunderland - consistent 1st division club in the late 90s through the 00s but don't actually have any stand out players really, so they should be Pot 3 etc.

Ultimately, you want 10 - 12 drafters and there's only going to be 5 or so Pot 1 Teams (without LFC) so my idea was I'd send each drafter their randomised seedings - drafter one could pick from pots 1,3,3,4 and get one wildcard, drafter two would pick from pots 2,2,3,4 and get 2 wildcards and another drafter might pick from 2,3,4,4 but get 4 wildcard picks. I think this would equalise it somewhat and also extend the scope of the draft to include more players from different eras where a team may have been a lot better than they have been from 1990 onwards. Forest or Derby would be good examples, they're not necessarily brilliant teams to pull on the face of it, but if you have a couple of wild cards you have access to players like Archie Gemmill, John Robertson, Dave Mackay, Peter Shilton and Viv Anderson etc - this should level the playing field somewhat with the Pot One teams.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5269 on: December 12, 2021, 08:53:49 pm »
Seriously anyone up for a Draft that is not Football, i am all in for that. A nice break lets say.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5270 on: December 12, 2021, 08:57:51 pm »
Seriously anyone up for a Draft that is not Football, i am all in for that. A nice break lets say.
Samies survivor series draft??

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5271 on: December 12, 2021, 09:01:49 pm »
Samies survivor series draft??

Whats that?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5272 on: December 12, 2021, 09:04:42 pm »
Whats that?
It's a draft. A series involving surviving

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5273 on: December 12, 2021, 09:07:00 pm »

Football?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5274 on: December 12, 2021, 09:07:42 pm »
Tom Hanks?

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #5275 on: December 15, 2021, 09:38:16 am »

In terms of fairness would it be better to actually come up with the combos beforehand? As opposed to leaving it up to chance and somebody drawing Southampton from pot 2 alongside a big gun from pot 1 and sitting on Virg and Mane, as well as say a Salah, Henry etc all being untouchable for them in the later rounds…
I’m so glad that Jürgen is a Red…

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5276 on: December 15, 2021, 09:50:43 am »
Tom Hanks?

Yeah just the greatest survivors of all. Hanks, Stallone, Survivor (the band), Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, cockroaches etc.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5277 on: December 15, 2021, 09:52:50 am »
Football?

We could do a survivor series draft of football

We all pick teams of 5, tag teams can be replaced by attacking/defensive partnerships. Then we vote on who would win a fight between the teams of footballers. Keiron Dyer/Lee Bowyer on the same team would be great WWE type drama.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5278 on: December 15, 2021, 10:56:42 am »
In terms of fairness would it be better to actually come up with the combos beforehand? As opposed to leaving it up to chance and somebody drawing Southampton from pot 2 alongside a big gun from pot 1 and sitting on Virg and Mane, as well as say a Salah, Henry etc all being untouchable for them in the later rounds…
I agree, I have written specific combinations so as to hopefully avoid this issue - there's also the potential flexibility to put sides like Tottenham and Southampton in Pot 1, not because of achievement or current quality, but because of the brilliant world class players they've both amassed in the time from 1990.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #5279 on: December 15, 2021, 11:02:26 am »
I agree, I have written specific combinations so as to hopefully avoid this issue - there's also the potential flexibility to put sides like Tottenham and Southampton in Pot 1, not because of achievement or current quality, but because of the brilliant world class players they've both amassed in the time from 1990.

Another option could be to have a “pre draft draft” ;D and get those involved to pick their 4 clubs from the whole list? Teams will effectively be seeded from that point of view too.
I’m so glad that Jürgen is a Red…