Author Topic: 9/11  (Read 63013 times)

Offline CarolinaKopite

• Main Stander
  • Supporting L.F.C. stateside
Re: 9/11
« Reply #200 on: September 9, 2011, 12:25:42 am »
New York City Policemen & Fire-fighters are "NOT INVITED" to the 10th anniversary of 9/11 at Ground Zero. The Mayor claims "there isn't room for them".... Funnily enough, they weren't "invited" on that fateful day in 2001 either.... THEY JUST SHOWED UP AND DID THEIR JOB! re-post if they deserve to be there *more than* the politicians! Shame on them!

Just seen this on facebook, can't be true surely?
Thats just par for the course in todays politics.  As sad as it is, politicians will use whatever they can to gain an advantage.
"Soccer is not graded on a curve"

GT: BoondockTodd

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: September 9, 2011, 12:41:58 am »
New York City Policemen & Fire-fighters are "NOT INVITED" to the 10th anniversary of 9/11 at Ground Zero. The Mayor claims "there isn't room for them".... Funnily enough, they weren't "invited" on that fateful day in 2001 either.... THEY JUST SHOWED UP AND DID THEIR JOB! re-post if they deserve to be there *more than* the politicians! Shame on them!

Just seen this on facebook, can't be true surely?

was this true?
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #202 on: September 9, 2011, 06:42:02 am »
Oh and speaking of inconsequential shit - I get to fly on Sunday. Lucky me. I'm trying to figure out a way to smuggle a fifth of vodka onto the plane so that I don't have to pay $7 a nip.

According to strict rules of GWOT, I'm a fucking terribilist.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2011, 06:45:11 am by El Campeador »

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: September 9, 2011, 08:12:35 am »
I remember this vividly, on the 10th myself and my mates had just secured a new student house in Wavertree and stayed at a mates house that night before we moved in. It's been a late one and our mate came in and told us a plane had hit the twin towers. We basically told him to bugger off but sleepily made our way to the living room - as we did the second plane was heading towards the tower. Was absolutely horrifying and we all just stood there unable to comprehend what was going on. We then made our way to the Royal on Smithdown and the whole pub was just watching the screens and literally no-one was talking.

My mate had had a very bad motorcycle that week which left him paralysed and I went to see him in Preston hospital that afternoon for the first time. The sadness of the whole day was just awful.

RIP all that died that day and all that have died because of subsequent actions.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #204 on: September 9, 2011, 10:17:25 am »
Some excellent stuff across the TV this whole weekend.

Somewhat ironic that more lives were lost during the troubles than during the WTC attack though.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #205 on: September 9, 2011, 10:35:05 am »
Somewhat ironic that more lives were lost during the troubles than during the WTC attack though.

What's ironic about that?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #206 on: September 9, 2011, 11:07:43 am »
What's ironic about that?

What's ironic is that terrorism didn't begin in September 2001.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #207 on: September 9, 2011, 11:31:13 am »
What's ironic is that terrorism didn't begin in September 2001.

Who said it did? It reached an amazing level of brutality on September 11th but, like you say, it wasn't enough to erase the crimes of the IRA and other pre-existing terrorist organisations.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline AnfieldRD19

• Not worried at all about his manbuddy.
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #208 on: September 9, 2011, 04:12:40 pm »
My birthday is on September 11th. My mom used to work in the World Trade Center on Tuesdays and Thursdays (9/11 happened on a Tuesday) but she didn't go to the city that day because she had a meeting somewhere else right when the planes went into the towers.

Offline YayaP

• Is John McEnroe.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #209 on: September 9, 2011, 08:59:37 pm »
I was only in fifth grade and I will never ever forget that day. I remember so little from elementary school but so much of that day is clear. I remember kids leaving school, I remember talking to you on the way home from school about all the banks and businesses being completely closed, in fact I remember vividly talking about how they had closed Disney World. And then coming home that day, watching the news, seeing it for myself. I remember eating candy corn, just sitting on the couch with dad taking it all in. I remember driving around that evening and Sports Authority was completely boarded up, I had never seen that before and I haven't seen it since then. I remember trying to watch ESPN in dad's office on that small TV we used to have and it was all about the terrorist attacks. I flipped to every channel and it was all the same. The most amazing thing about it all was the next day in spelling class, I will never forget this. Our assignment for the day (from the book published two years earlier might I add) was to write a story about something recent in the news using the spelling words from the section. Some of the words from that section were New York, Washington DC, and explosion. Can you believe that? What are the odds of that. Everyone in our class wrote about the same thing and we didn't even share our stories like usual because it was so raw and fresh. All these memories coming from a fifth grader with a below average memory.
"I belong to a special club, I live with special people, this is a privilege, this is pure happiness." -Gerard Houllier

“When they start talking and talking about us, it shows they are worried about playing Liverpool,” - Rafa Benitez

Offline Scribble8

• Bad WUM. Nu hållar sin käft, jävla wumjävel......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 9, 2011, 09:06:33 pm »
According to strict rules of GWOT, I'm a fucking terribilist.

Don't bring a nailclipper.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 9, 2011, 10:50:30 pm »
Watching it at work on the big screens.  Very surreal.

Offline ScouserMichael

• Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King!
« Reply #212 on: September 9, 2011, 11:52:43 pm »
Can't believe that its already 10 years ago, was only 12 back then, but remember it like yesterday. Just got home after a football match when I saw my parents sitting in the living room and they were glued to the telly. Horrible day
http://dontbuythesun.co.uk/site/  -  Justice for the 96!

Proud Member of Spirit of Shankly
http://www.spiritofshankly.com/

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #213 on: September 9, 2011, 11:59:03 pm »

New York wounded. Photo from the space station of the twin towers just after the attack
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline srs507

• Kopite
  • I'm scouse. Except for accent and location.
« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2011, 12:33:58 am »
New York wounded. Photo from the space station of the twin towers just after the attack

Powerful image that. I added 2 circles to it (light red). The top one in the smoke is where my father was that day; the bottom right one is where I live, we can see the skyline from near our house and so we saw the smoke every time going on the highway.

Games I've been to: 2011/2012 - Wolves (h), Man Utd (h), QPR (h), Villa (a), Wigan (a), Newcastle (h), Man City (a)
2012/2013 - Spurs (Friendly), Norwich (h)
2013/2014 - Newcastle (h)
2014/2015 - Olympiakos (friendly), Man City (friendly)
Not bad for an American eh?

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2011, 06:18:49 pm »

Don't think I've ever seen that picture before
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Zanchent

• Sole creator and only disciple to the brand new yet enchanting, charming, one might say "revolutionary", religion known, quite unpredictably, as Zanchentism. It's like Zen, only not.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2011, 06:44:05 pm »
That reminds of one of those photoshop jobs with a shark approaching somebody mid-ocean. Horrific.

I've felt teary everytime I've seen something about 9/11 this week.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2011, 06:49:05 pm »
This is not a conspiracy point.

I read a letter to the Irish Times today by some guy who says he's a structural engineer. Short letter so I will quote it in full.

"One of the most important factors in the tragedy of 9/11, and one that has received scant attention, is the mode of failure of the towers.

They were struck high up on their structures and failed via progressive collapse. Had they been designed on this side of the Atlantic, they would not have failed. These were flimsy structures."

Anyone with the necessary expertise to comment on that?

Offline istanbulism

• Anny Roader
  • JFT96
« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2011, 07:03:44 pm »

I read a letter to the Irish Times today by some guy who says he's a structural engineer. Short letter so I will quote it in full.

"One of the most important factors in the tragedy of 9/11, and one that has received scant attention, is the mode of failure of the towers.

They were struck high up on their structures and failed via progressive collapse. Had they been designed on this side of the Atlantic, they would not have failed. These were flimsy structures."

Good point, watched some of Michael Moore's documentaries, really interesting.
What a goal, what a night

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2011, 07:15:26 pm »

They weren't flimsy structures and I'd be interested to know how he could be so certain. Sounds a bit like dick-swinging to me.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2011, 07:19:02 pm »
They weren't flimsy structures and I'd be interested to know how he could be so certain. Sounds a bit like dick-swinging to me.

Maybe. That's all he wrote so I don't know what his thinking was. 

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2011, 07:28:44 pm »
All the reports I've read about the towers from structural engineers claim that they were surprised how long they stayed up.

These buildings were the at the very forefront of engineering and were designed to withstand a direct impact from a 707 that was at cruising speed and having dumped all it's fuel. The planes that hit the towers were 767's travelling at 550 mph and with relatively full tanks.

The 3 tallest buildings on 'this side of the Atlantic' are in Moscow and none of them are over 76 stories high. So despite the fact we don't have buildings anywhere near what the TT were like now, we most certainly didn't have them when they were built over 35 years ago.

I vote that he's full of shit.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #222 on: September 10, 2011, 07:31:22 pm »
All the reports I've read about the towers from structural engineers claim that they were surprised how long they stayed up.

These buildings were the at the very forefront of engineering and were designed to withstand a direct impact from a 707 that was at cruising speed and having dumped all it's fuel. The planes that hit the towers were 767's travelling at 550 mph and with relatively full tanks.

The 3 tallest buildings on 'this side of the Atlantic' are in Moscow and none of them are over 76 stories high. So despite the fact we don't have buildings anywhere near what the TT were like now, we most certainly didn't have them when they were built over 35 years ago.

I vote that he's full of shit.

Well, this is where it gets interesting. Here's his letter (click on "Recalling 9/11"). Check out his address. You and me could be there in ten. You bring the hash, I'll bring the hurleys.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #223 on: September 10, 2011, 07:39:14 pm »
Well, this is where it gets interesting. Here's his letter (click on "Recalling 9/11"). Check out his address. You and me could be there in ten. You bring the hash, I'll bring the hurleys.

Oh FFS! Now I'm just embarrassed.

:butt

Offline Carllfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 10, 2011, 08:07:42 pm »
I remember watching Liverpool against Boavista in the evening. Saw the news after school.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 10, 2011, 09:00:02 pm »
Don't think I've ever seen that picture before

Man so wished you didn't post that pic. Nothing against you more the memories it brought back in an instance.

Its always etched in my mind in respect to the other side of that image and seeing what happened next.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

royhendo

« Reply #226 on: September 10, 2011, 09:23:09 pm »
I was sent home from work with pharingitis. Got in, had some paracetomol, made a cuppa, and turned on the telly. Hey presto, News 24, smoke, helicopters circling the towers. Saw the whole thing unfold from my kitchen. It was chilling.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: September 11, 2011, 12:47:56 am »
RIP all those who lost a life. We can but pray for those who live on in the aftermath of this days tragedy.

It's a shitty feeling generally for me on this day. I never watch the documentaries or even allow a glimpse of them on the tv as my wife flicks channels as it's just too raw at times. The conspiracy rubbish mixed with the despair of the calls of those who knew they would never see loved ones again trigger a very hollow feeling.

I'm lucky. I know I am as I lost no-one and came home. My life continues in a normality we are accustomed to respective to working, paying bills, getting married and all the social trappings of friends and family. Today when I will be at my saddest my ability to overcome will be helped by my baby daughter now nearly 2 weeks old. For me she's everything. A little bundle of joy me and my wife will get to see grow and develop and fill us with tears of joy and moments of wonder that are yet unimaginable but precious already. I can hold her and feel a love back. I'll also hold her with a slight lump in my throat knowing that of those that perished someone else would have had the same dream and desires as me. For those someone's, I beg of the conspiracy theorists to just think what it may feel like for a person who lost or suffered as a consequence of the tragic events. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that they will come on here, look for a word or two of solace as a fellow Red who shares a passion for Liverpool FC like them and allow it to ease their pain a little.

For those someones, You'll Never Walk Alone. I pray today passes with as least pain as possible which we know will not be easy.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Aido LFC

• Thanks Aldo. Messy arse!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #228 on: September 11, 2011, 12:58:11 am »
Nearly in tears here after watching United 93.

RIP to all the victims of 9/11.
The only thing I can see that I have infringed is animal porn - but that was just for amusement - didn't know it was illegal?

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 11, 2011, 01:22:35 am »
Nearly in tears here after watching United 93.

RIP to all the victims of 9/11.

Horrible but beautiful film that, so moving.

Offline Aido LFC

• Thanks Aldo. Messy arse!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #230 on: September 11, 2011, 01:26:33 am »
Horrible but beautiful film that, so moving.
I knew the outcome of the film yet my heart was beating so fast during the build up to the end and when they charged at the terrorist I was actually screaming at the telly "fucking kill him, smash his fucking head in!" They were so brave, god bless them.
The only thing I can see that I have infringed is animal porn - but that was just for amusement - didn't know it was illegal?

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #231 on: September 11, 2011, 03:24:00 am »
I was 17 and had been at 6th form during the day. I had a free period at the end of the day but rather than going home i was chatting. Must have walked home and got back at 3.30ish. Nothing had been said about it at all at this point, so I was totally unaware. Can't remember much of what I did, think i read the days paper and dossed about for a bit until I finally put the radio on. Sombre music for about 15 minutes - i was wondering what was going on when the presenter said something about a terrorist outrage in America and the World Tade Centre had been "destroyed". To be totally honest I wasn't really sure what the World Trade Centre was, but went downstairs and asked about it. We put the tv on and I sat there watching reruns of it on wall to wall news - think it was the first time i'd ever really seen a rolling news channel too!

Watched it while I got ready for the match then headed to Anfield for my first European Cup game. I remember there was a minutes silence and the ground was only half full. Wierd. I forgot about it to be honest then until I got home again.

VIsited New York for the first time in 2009 and went on a tour of Ground Zero. The lady who was our guide was lovely. Her husband was in the South tower leading a group from his offices down the emergency fire escapes - right in the impact zone when the second plane hit. Hearing her say how glad she was that she knew her husband died instantly, and how she told her kids of what was happening was one of the most moving experiences ive ever had. She lived in New Jersey but couldn't get anywhere near New York on the day because the whole place shut down. It must have been horrifying and it really brought it home to be. Before then, it was 9/11 - the world famous terrorist attack. The tour made it real.
I'd really recommend it if you go to New York. All proceeds to go the memorials, museum and helping the families of the victims.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline istanbulism

• Anny Roader
  • JFT96
« Reply #232 on: September 11, 2011, 05:16:11 am »
RIP to all the victims and also RIP to all the innocent casualties from the ensuing war on terror.
What a goal, what a night

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2011, 05:26:10 am »
RIP to everyone that lost their lives on that tragic day - still get chill's anytime I see a picture or video of what happened in New York.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2011, 06:05:01 am »
Both buildings leaned at impact - eight to ten seconds in one direction, like a sailboat catching a strong wind, then straightened out.

Structurally they were sound enough. But other *non-structural* factors sealed the fates of people caught in them, like the fact that all doors leading to the roof were locked. Even though the smoke made a roof rescue nigh impossible, many folks were trapped trying to pry the doors open in vain.

Offline lucabrasi

• sleepswiththefishes
  • Main Stander
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2011, 06:53:05 am »
I seen both towers burning from my work across the river . Had to fix something for an hour and when I looked again they were gone - just smoke.

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2011, 07:06:43 am »
Both buildings leaned at impact - eight to ten seconds in one direction, like a sailboat catching a strong wind, then straightened out.

Structurally they were sound enough. But other *non-structural* factors sealed the fates of people caught in them, like the fact that all doors leading to the roof were locked. Even though the smoke made a roof rescue nigh impossible, many folks were trapped trying to pry the doors open in vain.

Thanks for that El C, that is something that has always perplexed me, why did nobody get to the roof and why was there no attempt to evacuate them from there.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2011, 09:26:54 am »
Swedish television airing from NY all morning and will do so for the rest of the day. Just can't turn it off.
What a horrible day it was. It still feels surreal seeing the footage from 9/11.

Never forgotten.
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 11, 2011, 09:28:06 am »
R.I.P. To all the poor souls who perished on that dreadful day.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline uwinsa

• prize!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2011, 10:49:19 am »
Like a lot of people on this thread I was at school, I was 15. Mum and Dad picked me up to take me to a doctors appoinment and had the radio on in the car, they explained what had happened, I think both towers had been hit and the first one was down. They had the TV on at the doctors and by the time we got out the appoinment the second tower was down. I remeber at school the next day everyone was really worried, we had an assembly and then I had RE, our teacher was great shelved his lesson plans and ansawered all our dozens of questions instead.

One thing that has always stayed with me is from around 3 years later, I was working in a primary school and one of the classes was starting a topic on planes, the first thing they were asked to do was write down what they knew about planes? 50% of the class wrote 'planes crashed into towers in america' (or similar wording) within the first 3 sentences, the children were 7/8 years old, they would have been 4/5 at the time of the attacks.