Author Topic: Re: Liverpool Women FC (Goodison vs Everton - 24/03 - 13:00 ko) (*)  (Read 592400 times)

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Exclusive: Liverpool closing in on a deal to buy back Melwood as a training base for their women’s team.
Historic 12-acre site was sold to affordable housing developer Torus for around £10million in 2019.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1663911046388621312?t=YM4WzdqnIG9_dJLEdSch-w&s=19

https://theathletic.com/4566731/2023/05/31/liverpool-melwood-training-ground-women/?source=emp_shared_article

We making a profit on these two deals combined together?
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My snooping always leads to something.  ;D

But as I've always said Melwood should never have been sold off and it should've been given to the Women's team when we left for Kirkby.

Kirkby site should've been in the plans for Women's side too in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 04:52:52 pm by Samie »

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
The article summed up is: Torus' original plan to keep the Melwood buildings for use by Carragher's and Fowler's academy, with themselves building houses on the rest of the site, has been partially scrapped. The houses aren't now happening, they're selling the site back to us instead. Carragher's and Fowler's academy is to remain as it is and will be sharing the facility with the women's team. The price of the purchase isn't yet known (to the Athletic only, presumably) but it's being theorised in the article that we will probably end up paying more to buy it back than we sold it for. It's not likely the place will be ready for the start of pre-season, more likely September-ish.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Great for the women's team as they deserve better facilities than Tranmere and Wirral college. Will let the club attract better players.

That being said, I don't think the club should be let off from not providing provisions within the Training Centre in Kirkby from the start.

There is a real chance at using this as a springboard to move up the table next season. Liverpool has shown they can take points off the big 4. Now they need the consistency with that.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Glad we're getting Melwood back though it does smack of a lack of foresight that we simply didn't consider the women's team when we devised the Kirkby strategy. Even if we couldn't fit the Womens team in at Kirkby then we should've kept Melwood for them and maybe selling/leasing part of it to fund it.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline LeoT

• ayer - makes me feel like daaaancin'...... Is now officially a wannabeliever......
  • Anny Roader
  • My cup is barely even half empty
Looks like Reading may be having a bit of a fire sale...
Not many of their squad who would improve our starting 11, but maybe a couple who could be squad players replacing those we recently released.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65820385
My cup is barely even half empty

Offline LeoT

• ayer - makes me feel like daaaancin'...... Is now officially a wannabeliever......
  • Anny Roader
Looks like Leicester are releasing a bunch too...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65823062

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Looks like Reading may be having a bit of a fire sale...
Not many of their squad who would improve our starting 11, but maybe a couple who could be squad players replacing those we recently released.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65820385
It's on The Athletic, but there's a story on there about how their women's team is going part-time now after relegation. Shame.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
These are the players we've been linked with so far:

Teagan Micah
Sam Kerr (signed for Bayern)
Jenna Clark
Martina Piemonte (favouring Everton)
Sophie Roman Haug
*Mia Enderby - Sheffield United/England u19
Enderby is a forward, either wide or through the middle. Pretty different age/experience profile from the other forwards on this list so she doesn't strike me as an alternative, and neither have we had any young forward in the squad who is ready to graduate to a starting role that will then leave an empty bench spot for Enderby to take. So I'm wondering if our interest in her involves signing her up and then loaning her out. But that said, she isn't really any younger than Silcock, who hasn't been loaned out and who is set to remain in the first time. I suppose it could go either way, because Parry is a year older than both of these two and she is also going into the first team for next season, but the difference is she just spent a year on loan playing in the SWPL.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1666792190247329794?cxt=HHwWhICz4c-q0aEuAAAA

We are once again the proud owners of the Club’s iconic former training ground, Melwood.

The legendary elite facility is set to create a whole new chapter for @LiverpoolFCW’s first team and academy

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The club officially announced their purchase of Melwood as their women's training facility. Good news https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/liverpool-fc-create-elite-training-facility-lfc-women-melwood

The article also announces that the women's team is adopting the men's team crest, dropping the "Women" at the bottom.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2023, 02:08:50 pm by On Axis »

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Never saw this coming  ;D

In all seriousness though, it's nice to finally have this whole project reach its outcome. We've been at since before the pandemic. I do wonder though if we might have ended up elsewhere if it wasn't for the brakes having to be applied in 2020. But I don't suppose we'll ever know what the alternatives sites were, let alone what might otherwise have been.

Hopefully it won't take too long to put all of the pieces into place. One of Emma Sanders' earlier reports was saying September for moving in. That sounds a little tight if planning permission and local consultations are stages we have to pass through first? Though I guess it doesn't particularly matter if September is missed, we'll not be ready for the start of pre-season either way.

edit: ignore the above, it seems we really will be ready to move in before the season itself starts, just not in time for the start of pre-season training.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2023, 03:38:33 pm by kellan »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They have to do a bit of refurbish and a paint job but otherwise everything is in order to move in pretty quickly.

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
Will there be room to build a small stadium? in the grounds. It would be a shame for all those red seats going to waste at Anfield.
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline Red46

• Main Stander
Never saw this coming  ;D

In all seriousness though, it's nice to finally have this whole project reach its outcome. We've been at since before the pandemic. I do wonder though if we might have ended up elsewhere if it wasn't for the brakes having to be applied in 2020. But I don't suppose we'll ever know what the alternatives sites were, let alone what might otherwise have been.

Hopefully it won't take too long to put all of the pieces into place. One of Emma Sanders' earlier reports was saying September for moving in. That sounds a little tight if planning permission and local consultations are stages we have to pass through first? Though I guess it doesn't particularly matter if September is missed, we'll not be ready for the start of pre-season either way.

edit: ignore the above, it seems we really will be ready to move in before the season itself starts, just not in time for the start of pre-season training.

The ladies will be training on hallowed ground, they will literally be treading in the footsteps of giants.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
'Buying Melwood for Liverpool Women is good. Selling it and overlooking them in the first place was a joke. #LFC auctioned off doors and all sorts from Melwood after they moved into world class facilities at AXA as #LFCW were cramped in at Solar Campus.' - https://twitter.com/CaoimheSport/status/1667101950557540357

'What a return to Melwood means for Liverpool Women':-

https://theathletic.com/4593039/2023/06/09/liverpool-women-melwood - or in full here: https://archive.is/AeJWq

a snippet...

'Three hours after Alexis Mac Allister’s transfer from Brighton to Liverpool became official, more good news followed.

Liverpool announced the club had repurchased Melwood, the former training base used by the men’s team throughout the 1950s to November 2020. When the AXA Training Centre in Kirkby was nearing completion, Liverpool had sold Melwood to housing developer Torus for £10million ($12.6m) in August 2019.

For supporters of the women’s team, it was a gutting blow. Many hoped the keys to the iconic West Derby grounds would be handed over to Liverpool Women. That was not the case. Instead, they were overlooked and would continue training at Tranmere Rovers’ Solar Campus facility on the Wirral.'

« Last Edit: June 9, 2023, 01:20:47 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline btroom

• Anny Roader
This was month ago. little clean up needed. most of the work must be 3 pitches i think
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fFmaVMdc__c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fFmaVMdc__c</a>

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Really didn't expect to feel so nostalgic seeing inside for what must be my first time since we left the place. I half expected Carol and Caroline to appear when the camera was panning around that canteen.

Presumably we'll be changing the walls from all those men's team players to something else. The club have always done a good job of decorating our facilities that aren't technically our facilities in a way that makes them feel a little more homely, so I'm sure they will nail it now they don't have to worry about stepping on toes. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad

'Liverpool FC Women's BEST goals 2022/23 | Team goals and 'unstoppable' hits!' - a 4 minute video from LFC:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0Kk3xobQnWI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0Kk3xobQnWI</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/0Kk3xobQnWI
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
Looks like Megan Campbell and Leanne Kiernan are both out of the Ireland squad.

Women's World Cup: Aoife Mannion and Megan Campbell left out of Republic of Ireland squad - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66039596

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Any transfer rumors as of late? Emma Sanders mentioned some names a few months ago but no signings yet.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
Any transfer rumors as of late? Emma Sanders mentioned some names a few months ago but no signings yet.

Does the World Cup have any impact on deals being completed? Depends which players they're after, I suppose...

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Does the World Cup have any impact on deals being completed? Depends which players they're after, I suppose...
Very well could be. Here's a list of links that kellan posted a while back:

Teagan Micah - in the Australia squad
Sam Kerr - Scotland DNQ - signed for Bayern
Jenna Clark - Scotland DNQ
Martina Piemonte - in the Italy prelim squad
Sophie Roman Haug - in the Norway squad

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Generally speaking, summer transfer windows that have major tournaments in them tend to throw up the same obstacles and delays to transfers for both the men's and women's game. You'll usually see most not being finalised until after international commitments are over.

What complicates that a little more than usual with this particular summer is that the World Cup is falling later than many tournaments do. The group stage doesn't finish until 3 August. The entirety of the last World Cup was over and done with by 7 July, the Euros last year by 31 July. There are going to be players still in AUSNZ until 20 August. The transfer window itself closes three and a bit weeks later.

It may mean clubs and players and agents have had to already do their dealings to the point of completion prior to international commitments, and that it's just a case of announcements being sat on.

We ourselves are not yet running behind on our usual summer transfers timeline. We don't start announcing new players until a week or two into July.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Some updates I can see I've forgotten to post:

Fahey made the Ireland squad for the World Cup - & we've given her a year extension
Sadly, Kiernan did not make the Ireland squad (nor did Campbell, but she isn't ours any longer)
van de Sanden did not make the Netherlands squad
Lundgaard did not make the Denmark squad
Fuka Nagano did however make the Japan squad

So that's only two definite reds who will be absent for a chunk of pre-season (assuming neither are going anywhere)

Dowie won't be signing a permanent contract. I've not seen any details on whether one was offered/she declined

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Generally speaking, summer transfer windows that have major tournaments in them tend to throw up the same obstacles and delays to transfers for both the men's and women's game. You'll usually see most not being finalised until after international commitments are over.

What complicates that a little more than usual with this particular summer is that the World Cup is falling later than many tournaments do. The group stage doesn't finish until 3 August. The entirety of the last World Cup was over and done with by 7 July, the Euros last year by 31 July. There are going to be players still in AUSNZ until 20 August. The transfer window itself closes three and a bit weeks later.

It may mean clubs and players and agents have had to already do their dealings to the point of completion prior to international commitments, and that it's just a case of announcements being sat on.

We ourselves are not yet running behind on our usual summer transfers timeline. We don't start announcing new players until a week or two into July.
That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. I was being impatient and want signings now now now.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. I was being impatient and want signings now now now.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also feeling impatient.

Italy have announced their final World Cup squad now and Piemonte was a surprise omission. So there could soon be movement on her transfer. Although it was said she isn't favouring us, so I'm not expecting this one to happen. But seeing movement with her might at least give us an idea of what kind of schedule transfers are happening to.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/liverpool-fc-women-play-birmingham-city-pre-season-friendly

Liverpool FC Women will play a pre-season friendly away at Birmingham City on Sunday August 20 at 2pm BST.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
These are the players we've been linked with so far:

Teagan Micah
Sam Kerr - signed for Bayern
Jenna Clark
Martina Piemonte - signed for Everton
Sophie Roman Haug
Mia Enderby
*Grace Fisk
New one for the list according to the Telegraph. Fisk's new club has been talked about quite a bit, we were never mentioned until now. Everybody thought for sure that she was bound for Italy. So for us to go from seemingly not involved to favourites to sign her is quite a development. Really nice transfer if we can get it over the line.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2023, 08:50:17 am by kellan »

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
LFCW have signed striker Natasha Flint.

"The 26-year-old striker joins Matt Beard’s Reds from Leicester City, having spent the second half of last season on loan at Celtic in Scotland.

Flint scored 25 goals in her 63 games with the Foxes and was the team’s top scorer when they clinched promotion back to the Barclays Women’s Super League in 2020-21.

Her time in Scotland included the winning goal in the Scottish Women’s FA Cup semi-final and the opener in the final as Celtic beat rivals Rangers."

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/natasha-flint-signs-liverpool-fc-women

Her opening goal from the Cup final: https://twitter.com/CelticFCWomen/status/1662822823524483073?s=20
Another cup goal of hers: https://twitter.com/CelticFCWomen/status/1650183707741880320?s=20

Interesting that the data says she's like Stengel: https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/1676552372611346434?s=20
« Last Edit: July 5, 2023, 12:24:57 pm by BassTunedToRed »

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
LFCW have signed striker Natasha Flint.

"The 26-year-old striker joins Matt Beard’s Reds from Leicester City, having spent the second half of last season on loan at Celtic in Scotland.

Flint scored 25 goals in her 63 games with the Foxes and was the team’s top scorer when they clinched promotion back to the Barclays Women’s Super League in 2020-21.

Her time in Scotland included the winning goal in the Scottish Women’s FA Cup semi-final and the opener in the final as Celtic beat rivals Rangers."

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/natasha-flint-signs-liverpool-fc-women

Her opening goal from the Cup final: https://twitter.com/CelticFCWomen/status/1662822823524483073?s=20
Another cup goal of hers: https://twitter.com/CelticFCWomen/status/1650183707741880320?s=20

Interesting that the data says she's like Stengel: https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/status/1676552372611346434?s=20
Nice one. Stengel ran her socks off for us last season, so having another similar player to share the burden is welcome (along with a healthy Kiernan).

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Flint is not one of the players on the reported list, interesting. But there are forwards who are/were, interesting again.

Emma Sanders has been on twitter in the time following the Flint announcement to say we have other deals which are done and are just in need of sharing. She mentioned Micah, Clark and Enderby specifically, but implied there are more. Of those, only Enderby is a forward. If Flint is an alternative to someone on the list then it's either Piemonte or SRH. Piemonte isn't happening. But it could just as easily be that Flint is an alternative only in the sense that she's preferred to Dowie.

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
Katie Stengel has gone out on loan.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/katie-stengel-joins-njny-gotham-fc-loan

Almost had a heart failure  when I saw the headline.
But it's not too bad.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
I would have much preferred the club's headlines and tweets about this to read 'due to the overlapping schedules of Europe's leagues and the NWSL many players choose to take advantage of leagues still being in-season while theirs is on a long off-season and will spend a short period on loan playing football where it is still being played, and we, Liverpool Women FC, have agreed that the latest player given permission to partake in this odd quirk will be Katie Stengel'

Not as catchy, but at least it wouldn't have caused premature deaths.

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good lord. Doesn't she need a break after all the running she did last season?! I guess she's already had a month off... Best of luck to her, hope she comes back fit and firing.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2023, 12:33:13 pm by On Axis »

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
Gotham are the closest NWSL team to Boston only 200 miles or so!!They defo need someone to score goals 15 from 14 games so far but they are in a playoff position.They play Portland on Sunday,dunno if that's to soon for Stengel.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Can i ask, why would  some of the ladies go to the USA when there is so much travel AND playing on synthetic turf nearly every match?

Why take the beating to your body and risk of injury.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
Can i ask, why would  some of the ladies go to the USA when there is so much travel AND playing on synthetic turf nearly every match?

Why take the beating to your body and risk of injury.
Same reason many WNBA players play in Europe during their “offseason”, money. They obviously don’t earn a fraction of what their male counterparts earn, so many need to supplement by playing in other leagues.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
Stengel is starting today,15 minutes in no score.Not a huge crowd in.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Stengel is starting today,15 minutes in no score.Not a huge crowd in.
Scored the second goal in what was a 2-1 victory.

Practically played a full 90 minutes as well. Which has got me wondering what the timeline behind this loan is. I had expected, given she last played for us on 27 May, that she would be eased in by Gotham and might not start playing whole matches for a few weeks yet. But if she is ready to do that from day one, then just how long ago did she start getting herself fit enough to be playing 90 minutes of football this weekend.