Author Topic: Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2  (Read 66062 times)

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
Re: Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2013, 11:04:16 pm »
I was trying to be nice!  ;D

You know what, for Dark Souls 2 I'm thinking no youtube videos for help, no epicnamebro walkthroughs, none of that. I'm going to play it all by myself and try to struggle with it.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2013, 12:50:24 am »
Funny, I was thinking the same...it just kinda spoils it otherwise. Can't wait for it. I shall look for your summon sign! I'll defo need it  ;D

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2013, 06:06:39 pm »
Absolutely fuming - got to undead burg and am at the second bonfire. I battle my way through to the merch and replenish firebombs, battle my way through to the demon and he just keeps killing me. I'm SL7. I have titanite but I can't figure out how to upgrade my weapon, when I go to use it nothing happens - it doesn't seem to take off as much energy as I'd hope (currently using 80 scimitar).

My strategy is OK, I figure I'll start with plunging attack then dodge his attacks and run in to get a few jabs in. A bit like the tutorial boss. However, my player doesn't seem fast enough to nip in, get a decent strike then back off, I also can't seem to get round him easily, keep getting stuck in his crotch.  I'll get there but I had to quit five minutes ago. It's frustratingly excellent and I like the challenge but feel underpowered.

Also, how the fack do you use crossbows? I get bolts and the aiming system is brutal. I don't know where they are going to go. Do I just grind for better loot now?

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2013, 07:06:38 pm »
Absolutely fuming - got to undead burg and am at the second bonfire. I battle my way through to the merch and replenish firebombs, battle my way through to the demon and he just keeps killing me. I'm SL7. I have titanite but I can't figure out how to upgrade my weapon, when I go to use it nothing happens - it doesn't seem to take off as much energy as I'd hope (currently using 80 scimitar).

My strategy is OK, I figure I'll start with plunging attack then dodge his attacks and run in to get a few jabs in. A bit like the tutorial boss. However, my player doesn't seem fast enough to nip in, get a decent strike then back off, I also can't seem to get round him easily, keep getting stuck in his crotch.  I'll get there but I had to quit five minutes ago. It's frustratingly excellent and I like the challenge but feel underpowered.

Also, how the fack do you use crossbows? I get bolts and the aiming system is brutal. I don't know where they are going to go. Do I just grind for better loot now?

Right, you need a blacksmith to upgrade your weapon - and there's no way you've found one yet unless you got really far into the catacombs. Once you find one you can begin to upgrade. As for the taurus demon, he's a pain in the arse. After dying countless times I eventually just ended up firebombing him to death and not engaging at all.

To use crossbows or bows you have to target someone - you can't go for long range snipes without a bow. Not greatly useful at the start of the game. Also, if you have too much weight, youll roll slowly and it'll cost you - if you are light weight enough you can theoretically out manouvere the taurus but I didn't find it worth the bother - he smashed me off the ramparts one too many times for me to stomach.

EDIT: Oh sorry, there is one blacksmith you can find... should I tell you where he is though? I'll write it in white below.

He's outside New Londo, the city under firelink, on a set of stairs near the locked door. Careful though...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:46:28 pm by kopitecrash »
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2013, 07:55:01 pm »

The plunging attack is the right way to go about it, or you could let it jump up the tower and fight it in somewhat open space. If everything fails, run to where there's a gap in the walkway, let it push you off, the c*nt follows you down and commits suicide. You can just respawn and be given the credit for the demon's death.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2013, 11:39:16 am »
Think I might have to start this game over again!

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2013, 02:30:45 pm »
Few more questions then. I've battled my way to some little cathedral it looks like. Found a blacksmith and got some repairs and also upgraded my spear +1. At the moment I've levelled up strength, dexterity, vitality and endurance pretty evenly. I think my build is going to be primary spear + shield, and dual wield rapier/scimitar as an alternative. As a result I'm going to be concentrating on DEX, END and VIT mainly. However, I'm getting some items like shields and axes that require more strength to use. Am I ok pouring some stats into STR or will it nerf me later?

Second, I'm not sure about these souls I pick up that then appear as usable objects, nor the whole human/hollow transfer.

1. I have 'humanity' as a usable object. I assume if I use this I become a 'human'. This allows me to 'kindle' at bonfires (10 estus flasks) but anyone can then come into my game and behead me at my low level right? Therefore not worth doing until at least I have one playthrough under my belt.
2. I have used a few 'souls of the undead' or something and all these seem to do is add souls to my count. Is this also right?
3. Last one now, I have a couple of other things in my items like a large titanite shard that can add +5/+10 stats to a weapon/armor but at the blacksmith it didn't let me upgrade past +1 on spear......any ideas why?
4. OK, really last one - what contributes to my weight? I am jangling a lot lately and I'm unsure why. Is it only the items I have in my hands and on my body that count or is it all. For example, I have my scimitar and spear equipped in my right hand to cycle through. Do both these items contribute to my weight or only the one I'm holding?

Is it better to lock on and strafe round or free roll?

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2013, 03:18:10 pm »
Second, I'm not sure about these souls I pick up that then appear as usable objects, nor the whole human/hollow transfer.

1. I have 'humanity' as a usable object. I assume if I use this I become a 'human'. This allows me to 'kindle' at bonfires (10 estus flasks) but anyone can then come into my game and behead me at my low level right? Therefore not worth doing until at least I have one playthrough under my belt.
2. I have used a few 'souls of the undead' or something and all these seem to do is add souls to my count. Is this also right?
3. Last one now, I have a couple of other things in my items like a large titanite shard that can add +5/+10 stats to a weapon/armor but at the blacksmith it didn't let me upgrade past +1 on spear......any ideas why?
4. OK, really last one - what contributes to my weight? I am jangling a lot lately and I'm unsure why. Is it only the items I have in my hands and on my body that count or is it all. For example, I have my scimitar and spear equipped in my right hand to cycle through. Do both these items contribute to my weight or only the one I'm holding?

1. humanity is needed for becoming human (obviously) & kindling fires, once you've got the rite of kindling (beat pinwheel) you can kindle a fire 3 times so you get 20 estus flasks, the amount of humanity you have also affects drop rates from enemies, this is the actual humanity you've used and not what you have in your inventory though and iirc it maxes out at 10 (it also stacks with the gold serpent ring to give you max item discovery) when you use humanity you don't become human unless you reverse hollowing at a fire so you can use as many as you want to boost your item discovery, early on in the game you can farm the 3 rats under the bridge with the dragon, the best place to farm it is in the depths later on in the game.

2. yeah, i save them then use what i need if i'm a few souls short for leveling, buying items or upgrades, no point in using them as soon as you pick them up in case you get killed

3. upgrade the spear to +5 first using titanite shards then i think you'll get the option to use the large shard, i can't remember how the upgrading works exactly as there's a lot of factors such as weapon type, which blacksmith you use, materials and embers, if you're not sure then check out the wiki http://darksouls.wikidot.com/

4. anything equipped in the 4 hand slots and armor affect your weight, ammo, consumables and rings have no effect on it

i always lock on and strafe round
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:08:18 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2013, 03:52:21 pm »
Just so you know aswell you can reach something like level 730 so don't worry so much about levelling in the right and wrong way.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2013, 12:45:59 pm »
Cheers - sometimes it gets you down after battling a long way then you think you've got the boss on the rack and another one swoops down and fires your ass :/ Needed a break from that rage. Should be more bonfires, you have to have flawless runs, it's almost like checkpoint whoring at times.

I've been watching something called day9 dark souls - this is basically a guy on his first playthrough. It's good to watch, makes me laugh at times as he hts the frustrating parts. Really good idea tbf, makes you realise you're not alone and gives you determination to go on.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2013, 01:38:01 pm »
Cheers - sometimes it gets you down after battling a long way then you think you've got the boss on the rack and another one swoops down and fires your ass :/ Needed a break from that rage. Should be more bonfires, you have to have flawless runs, it's almost like checkpoint whoring at times.

I've been watching something called day9 dark souls - this is basically a guy on his first playthrough. It's good to watch, makes me laugh at times as he hts the frustrating parts. Really good idea tbf, makes you realise you're not alone and gives you determination to go on.

guess you're stuck on the gargoyles?

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2013, 02:02:22 pm »
Yeah it's a pain in the ass. I wouldn't mind but every enemy whacks you if you're not careful. It's fun and rewarding but does demoralise you a bit. Just switching off against two low enemies draisn your estus so much.

Going to have a proper bash as I'm off work tomorrow and Wed.

I want to avoid summoning other players (which is easy as I don't know how to do it) and I don't want to exploit mechanics by stealing high level loot. I still feel really underpowered in these (mini) boss fights though. Is this how you always feel or should I grind for weapon 'drops' from mobs?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2013, 04:06:34 pm »
Yeah it's a pain in the ass. I wouldn't mind but every enemy whacks you if you're not careful. It's fun and rewarding but does demoralise you a bit. Just switching off against two low enemies draisn your estus so much.

Going to have a proper bash as I'm off work tomorrow and Wed.

I want to avoid summoning other players (which is easy as I don't know how to do it) and I don't want to exploit mechanics by stealing high level loot. I still feel really underpowered in these (mini) boss fights though. Is this how you always feel or should I grind for weapon 'drops' from mobs?

equip the drake sword if you've got it and have the stats to use it as it makes the undead parish a lot easier

Spoiler
to get it shoot the dragons tail under the bridge with a few arrows/bolts until it falls off
[close]

if you've not done it already activate the lift in the church so you can get back to firelink shrine, this'll reduce the number of enemies you have to face to get to the gargoyles, the 2 balder knights in the church won't bother you so there's just the one on the stairs and the zombie things at the top, the easiest way to beat the gargoyles at low levels is to summon solaire & lautrec if you spoken to them (solaire is at the opposite end of the bridge to the dragon, lautrec first appears in a cell in the church, come out of the passage where the zombies attack you and turn left then left again and follow the passage up some stairs, smash through a broken door and you'll find the cell at the top of some stairs, you'll need either the master or mystery key to free him, once he's free go back to firelink shrine and you'll find him sat near the cell where the fire keeper is, talk to him and you'll be able to summon him)

to summon you need to be human, if you're getting invaded a lot or don't want to risk it start the game offline then you can still summon npc's without getting invaded

edit: just beaten the gargoyles on a new save with a level 15 bandit using all starting equipment apart from the drake sword, summoned both solaire & lautrec and the fight lasted little more than 30 seconds, piece of piss  ;)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:01:06 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2013, 04:20:06 pm »
Yeah the Drake sword is a great early weapon. Also activate the lift from firelink shrine to the church short cut like Fish suggested. You should also put on your best fire defense armor and shield. If you have 7 flasks going into the fight and Solarie with you, you'll be fine.
Also when you get further into the game, your stats & weapons really start to make the bosses much more bareable. Enjoy!  :D

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: April 23, 2013, 11:35:10 am »
theres also some hidden gems that you can get within running distance from the firelink shrine. especially if you have the master key.  Like the fire keeper soul, which upgrades your estus flask to give you more health when used.  That you can get without the master key.  Theres also some shields if you have it. restarted it the other day and its surprising how much i remember the enemie patterns and how much easier ive found it this time. already into the depths after beating the capra demon.  Dont know whether to go after pin wheel again or back to the asylum before i carry on.  Even killed the moonlight butterfly. oh and drake sword is a must for early on for me.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:38:22 am by macca007 »

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2013, 12:07:15 pm »
Having a shite morning so far, ha. For some reason stamina has gone really low since the +stats on my spear. Plus I'm frsutrated so that first Baldur knight is fucking me in the ass. I've got the lift working.

How do I summon, do I need to reverse hollowing at the bonfire then fight my way through in human form to see the white summon marks?

I didn't choose master key :/  I don't seem to be getting much loot. I killed that big pig thing and also the big tower knight and neither dropped anything nice.....that normal? Is it only tails and bosses that give drops?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:09:06 pm by lachesis »

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2013, 12:43:43 pm »
Having a shite morning so far, ha. For some reason stamina has gone really low since the +stats on my spear. Plus I'm frsutrated so that first Baldur knight is fucking me in the ass. I've got the lift working.

How do I summon, do I need to reverse hollowing at the bonfire then fight my way through in human form to see the white summon marks?

I didn't choose master key :/  I don't seem to be getting much loot. I killed that big pig thing and also the big tower knight and neither dropped anything nice.....that normal? Is it only tails and bosses that give drops?
aye thats how you summon but to do that you need humanity and best off getting it from the sewer rats below the bridge with the dragon on instead of using up stored humanity. Also well worth getting the drake sword while your there if you already havent.

Spoiler
just stay below the bridge and fire off about 20 arrows roughly at the dragons tail. might be more though so take more just in case.
[close]

theres that fire keepers soul that you can still get. I'll spoiler it just in case.

Spoiler
when starting at the firelink shrine theres a little staircase to the left of the knight in silver armour.  Down here is a woman behind bar who is a fire keeper.  This is one person who you can give fire keeper souls to reinforce your estus flask.  theres another staircase from here leading down which brings you to an elevator, take it.  If you go down here you will see a big stretch of water.  There is a wooden bridge across here leading to an area filled with ghosts.  You cannot damage them so ignore them when you can.  When you first run acrossthe bridge stick to the right wall and there will be a an opening in the ruins with a corpse at the end.  That has a fire keepers soul.  Be prepared to die if you go this way once youve picked it up so youll loose your souls but if you use them up its worth it as its something that can help.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:54:31 pm by macca007 »

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2013, 04:49:08 pm »

Are you talking about the Black Knight, or Havel?

If you're talking about the knight, you can cheese him from the area that is up the ladder with fire bombs until he dies, or you can go for parry/riposte or back stabs.

He's probably strong enough to kill you fairly quickly anyways, so I'd probably ditch enough armor to fast roll

Few more questions then. I've battled my way to some little cathedral it looks like. Found a blacksmith and got some repairs and also upgraded my spear +1. At the moment I've levelled up strength, dexterity, vitality and endurance pretty evenly. I think my build is going to be primary spear + shield, and dual wield rapier/scimitar as an alternative. As a result I'm going to be concentrating on DEX, END and VIT mainly. However, I'm getting some items like shields and axes that require more strength to use. Am I ok pouring some stats into STR or will it nerf me later?

The silver knight spear is probably the spear that you're going to want to end up using, and I think that requires 16 strength.  16 strength should be enough to wield and shield worth using, like grass crest, crest, balder etc.

Anthing short of a boss/named soul, and you should spend it for levels/upgrades.

Essentially, yes.  It may be worth doing in places where you can use the estus though.  Also, depending on your level and where you are, you can summon someone to hang out/help you should someone invade.  You can send them home with the black crystal, if I recall correctly if you don't like what therey're doing.

Yep.  the named ones that you'll get from certain bosses can be used to create unique weapons.

You have to upgrade to that +5 level with small titanite shards (it takes an increasing number to get from +1 to +5) and then ascend that weapon (you will need an ember to get to +6) to be able to use large titanite.

Everything that you have equipped that has a weight contributes to your burden.

Locking on is better for pretty much every weapon outside of PVP with a scythe.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2013, 05:01:57 pm »

Upgrading your spear shouldn't have any impact on your stamina.  It's probably more to do with how you're playing; attacking with a spear can be frustrating at times.  Using a spear, you should be keeping your distance, making use of your range.  You'll probably need to drop some weight so that you can fast roll, as mobility with dex weapons is key.  Also, if you have a shield equipped, don't attack from behind the shield.  You'll find yourself out of stamina very quickly.

You need to reverse hollowing, yes.

Once you're in human form (are you in parish?), you should head to the stairwell that leads into the chapel from the blacksmith that you used to upgrade your stuff earlier.  There are a lot of summon signs there (depending on your level).

There is also a summon sign for Solair (sun bro), assuming you met him before the bridge wyvern and decided to help help each other.  You can also summon Lautrec after you've freed him and visited him at firelink (he's near the firekeeper).  Solaire (up both ladders) and Lautrec (up the first ladder and behind you) can both be summoned right before the fog gate.

There is a statisic that measures your item drop chance.  The higher your "soft" humanity count (up to 10), the better your item drop rate is.. It is a risk obviously, as you could lose it all, but it does help get items off every enemy that drops things (which is to say, most..)

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2013, 05:02:58 pm »
By the way...spears suck in this game, believe me I tried them all!

Halbred is a cool weapon though, gargoyles halbred even better  :wave

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: April 23, 2013, 05:21:26 pm »

They don't suck, but they do require a specific build and a specific playstyle. The SKS and a 16/40 STR DEX build is probably the most difficult PVP build to beat.

Both are good since they have good range, but like spears, they require a certain playstyle and build.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2013, 11:08:50 am »
lachesis, what console are you playing this on? If it's PS3 I might make a character to help you...I know there's always people about to summon, but see how you are fixed.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #222 on: April 24, 2013, 04:09:29 pm »
PS3.....I've taken a break today. I went and got some humanity, summoned Solare and then went for the gargoyles - last one had about an eighth of health left then wiped me - AAARGGHHHH.

So no humanity left, don't think I can be bothered to grind back to the rats so am in quiet contemplation at the moment :)

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #223 on: April 24, 2013, 04:22:06 pm »

Yeah I used the black knight Halbred all through the game, killed Smough boss on my first encounter/try with it. Does loads of damage.

I found to make this game easy you just need to upgrade your endurance so you have lots of blocking and get a good shield like the black/silver knights.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2013, 07:12:17 pm »
PS3.....I've taken a break today. I went and got some humanity, summoned Solare and then went for the gargoyles - last one had about an eighth of health left then wiped me - AAARGGHHHH.

So no humanity left, don't think I can be bothered to grind back to the rats so am in quiet contemplation at the moment :)

You not got any humanity in your inventory. I try not to use it but sometimes is necessary. There's a few secret spots in the undead burg with corpses that have humanity on them that lie in you inventory so you can't lose it unless you use it.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2013, 08:50:56 pm »
Yeah I used the black knight Halbred all through the game, killed Smough boss on my first encounter/try with it. Does loads of damage.

I found to make this game easy you just need to upgrade your endurance so you have lots of blocking and get a good shield like the black/silver knights.

Yeah, I'm exactly the same. Leveled loads of Endurance. +5 Silver K shield and +5 Black K Halbred.

Then sit back and watch the pain be dished out!  ;D

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2013, 09:10:04 pm »
i used black knight halberd +5 with eagle shield +15 which had 100% physical damage reduction, think it's been nerfed slightly to 95%, pain in the ass to get it though as it's hidden in blight town

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: April 25, 2013, 10:36:32 pm »
i used black knight halberd +5 with eagle shield +15 which had 100% physical damage reduction, think it's been nerfed slightly to 95%, pain in the ass to get it though as it's hidden in blight town

Yeah, that shield was great when it was 100% physical damage reduction. Still very good, just not as good.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2013, 10:55:34 pm »
By the way...for anyone interested...here's a current noob play through of DS.

I think the guy is hilarious most of the time.

Its like Peter Griffin dose DS!  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79-Mrqs_Brg

Enjoy!

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #229 on: April 27, 2013, 03:03:02 pm »
Woot - mothafucka. Got past those gargoyles now. Straight after though there's a massive annoying twat downstairs under the blacksmith with one leg. He shouldn't be difficult but he's powerful. Drop attack followed by one swipe and I'm wasted and he has loads of HP too. Easy to get trapped by him too or by the stupid rocks on the floor.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2013, 04:03:02 pm »
there's a nice fire keepers soul if you beat him though.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2013, 05:10:13 pm »
So who's managed to go back to the undead asylum? :D
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2013, 08:11:46 pm »
So who's managed to go back to the undead asylum? :D

first time i went back it was too early in the game and i had problems with the knight and the demon thing

Spoiler
it's worth going back for the rusty iron ring (or whatever it's called) but you need a key to get to it and the doll which lets you into the painted world later on
[close]

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: April 28, 2013, 01:14:41 am »
Woot - mothafucka. Got past those gargoyles now. Straight after though there's a massive annoying twat downstairs under the blacksmith with one leg. He shouldn't be difficult but he's powerful. Drop attack followed by one swipe and I'm wasted and he has loads of HP too. Easy to get trapped by him too or by the stupid rocks on the floor.
Just run past the fucker, for now then! :-)

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #234 on: April 28, 2013, 09:23:34 am »
I've noticed a lot of suggestions are built around things I don't have. I've seen them suggesting Fire (I'm a wanderer), Gold Pine Resin (not seen it drop yet) and a lot fo other items I don't seem to have come across. I haven't come across any ranged weapons apart from light crossbow that I also tried against the titanite. 20 bolts didn't even put a dent in him.

However, I assume after him it's only going to get harder so what's the point in running past him. Won't I just be running into a massive higher level enemy? I'll be giving this a go waiting for replies :P

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: April 28, 2013, 11:30:11 am »
I've noticed a lot of suggestions are built around things I don't have. I've seen them suggesting Fire (I'm a wanderer), Gold Pine Resin (not seen it drop yet) and a lot fo other items I don't seem to have come across. I haven't come across any ranged weapons apart from light crossbow that I also tried against the titanite. 20 bolts didn't even put a dent in him.

However, I assume after him it's only going to get harder so what's the point in running past him. Won't I just be running into a massive higher level enemy? I'll be giving this a go waiting for replies :P

you need to get to blighttown now to ring the 2nd bell so have 2 options (think you said you don't have the master key which rules out the easiest way of getting to blighttown)

you should have the basement key by now so you can go back to the bridge with the dragon near to where your first met solaire, there's a locked door which takes you down to the lower undead burg, from here you can unlock a shortcut back to firelink shrine (the gate in the sewer) you need to beat the capra demon to get the key to the depths which leads to blighttown

or if you're strong enough you can get to blighttown through the valley of drakes, once you've beaten the titanite demon where you are now follow the path through darkroot garden until you get to the 2nd bush thing that attacks you, there should be a path on the right which takes you down to darkroot basin, follow the path down (i can't remember exactly where but it should split and you'll need to go right) you'll know if you've gone the right way cos there's a black knight, once you've killed him continue on until you come to a bonfire and a lift down to the valley, you can also get to darkroot basin from undead burg, go to the tower thing where the fog gate was before you fought the taurus demon, when you first enter there's a locked door which takes you down to darkroot basin but you'll have to fight havel the rock down there, if you have problems with him you can always enter darkroot basin from the other side where you are now and stab him through the door (it's a glitch so not sure if it's been patched out or not) once you've made it to the valley of drakes keep to the left, you'll have to kill a few drakes which can be a problem at low levels then run past the undead dragon to find the entrance to blighttown, if you can make it through this way you'll find the key to new londo ruins not far into blighttown so you can open up the shortcut

there is another way to valley of the drakes but you need to go through new londo ruins which i wouldn't recommend just yet

blighttown can be a nightmare and the entrance in the valley of drakes gives you the easiest route of making it to the bottom, also you need to go through a poisonous swamp so you're gonna need either loads of purple or blooming purple moss clumps which you can get by farming the bush things in darkroot garden or the rusted iron ring which you'll need to go back to the undead asylum for as it'll allow you to move through the swamp faster

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: April 29, 2013, 12:55:30 pm »
there's a nice fire keepers soul if you beat him though.

Think he's talking about the titanite demon...

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: April 29, 2013, 01:02:05 pm »

You'll get a pyromancy flame eventually.  It doesn't matter that you're a wanderer.

Gold Pine Resin can be found in a chest in the upper portion of the undead burg.  If you've been through there already, you've either passed it or used it already.

--

If you run past the titanite demon, you'll face some tree looking enemies that you shouldn't have too much of a hard time beating.  If you walk yourself into an area that has crystal golems, turn around though.

Your goal in that area for now should be to get to and fight the moonlight butterfly.  That area should be to the right of the Artorius door (you'll know it when you see it).  There is a hidden bonfire immediately to the left of that door that you should find helpful.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: April 30, 2013, 07:38:48 am »
You'll get a pyromancy flame eventually.  It doesn't matter that you're a wanderer.

Gold Pine Resin can be found in a chest in the upper portion of the undead burg.  If you've been through there already, you've either passed it or used it already.

--

If you run past the titanite demon, you'll face some tree looking enemies that you shouldn't have too much of a hard time beating.  If you walk yourself into an area that has crystal golems, turn around though.

Your goal in that area for now should be to get to and fight the moonlight butterfly.  That area should be to the right of the Artorius door (you'll know it when you see it).  There is a hidden bonfire immediately to the left of that door that you should find helpful.

The crystal golums aren't hard tho and I'd recommend going to fight the hydra. Seems bad at first but you don't have to be a high level to take it on!

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: April 30, 2013, 12:48:46 pm »
The crystal golums aren't hard tho and I'd recommend going to fight the hydra. Seems bad at first but you don't have to be a high level to take it on!

If he had trouble with the gargoyles, I don't think he's ready for the crystal golems and the Hydra.  If he'd gotten down there by killing Havel, I'd agree with you.