Author Topic: Final Fantasy is sh*t hot.  (Read 15375 times)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Re: Final Fantasy is sh*t hot.
« Reply #160 on: April 1, 2016, 04:48:20 pm »
What damaged reputation?
You'll have to forgive me for not backing up my statements with a single statistic here mate. My opinions are based only on what I've seen and heard, both online and from friends.

I am by no means a jaded gamer. I play with an open mind and can be easy to impress. However, I don't think any of the games since X will be considered classics in years to come. In fact, XII and XIII are now 10 and 7 years old respectively and don't have the same reputation as earlier titles did after the same amount of time had passed. XII has gained a few more fans in recent years, but it's hardly a classic. And whilst commercially successful I don't think there's any great love for XIII among fans, which makes it's spinoffs a little confusing.

I think it's fair to say the recent games have enjoyed increased sales as a result of coming under the famous Final Fantasy banner. Essentially though, they're pretty forgettable. Made by someone else they would go unnoticed. People have been buying them because of the series past, only to be promptly let down. I don't think that process can go on or the sales figures will start to decline majorly. There's a generation who can see a difference in quality between the illustrious past and present. And perhaps more worryingly for the series, there's a younger generation who only know of the current games, which are hardly revolutionary like their predecessors were. There are certain series that demand your attention, releases that get everyone talking. Final Fantasy is part of that group, but is hanging on by it's fingertips.

That's why I think a lot hinges on this game. The prolonged hype will only intensify in the coming months. Older fans are interested to see if it can recapture the magic. Whilst for newcomers it could potentially be their gateway into the series.

Personally I'm wary of the changes this new game has gone through, but ultimately I'm excited about it. From what we've seen it seems to combine the elements we all love about Final Fantasy with some quirky new ideas. I've got high hopes.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: April 1, 2016, 05:19:13 pm »
Odd that they made a whole other game about her, then?

I dont know Square-Enix is a weird company. But I'm sure internal polling at Square indicated that she's a popular character. But reading around on the internet, she doesn't seem to be.

Edit:

Interesting read about Hajime Tabata, FF15s director about trying to make a HD Final Fantasy game.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/31/hajime-tabata-making-team-challenging-hd-era-final-fantasy-xv/#rRxR10KHdtKduVRb.99
« Last Edit: April 1, 2016, 05:25:33 pm by Garlicbread »

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #162 on: April 1, 2016, 05:51:58 pm »
You'll have to forgive me for not backing up my statements with a single statistic here mate. My opinions are based only on what I've seen and heard, both online and from friends.

I'm just a bit out of touch, I suppose. For me XIII was a really strong game, although I know some people didn't like how linear it was compared to the older ones. It's weird that they focused so much on spin offs from XIII rather than the next title.

As for being revolutionary, I would prefer to focus on whether the game is playable and enjoyable, well designed and that kind of thing. There's no need to reinvent the wheel every single time for me, and it's become harder to innovate as there are so many more games in production now. Besides which, VIII wasn't exactly revolutionary in gameplay terms, it was very similar to VII with a few tweaks that a lot of fans absolutely hated at the time. Same with IX, which upset fans by making the summons less important and a different approach to character design, and X pissed off the fans with all the tedious voice overs, XII really wound them up by not having random encounters and XIII was "too linear". Basically the fanbase are fickle whiny brats and square should ignore us all! ;)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #163 on: April 1, 2016, 05:59:10 pm »
I get that you're an FF fan Nessy but there's a more or less universal consensus that the series has been on a massive decline since 10.

People still want to love it but 13 indicated they're a bit out of touch with modern storytelling and characterization in games. They made FF13-2 and 3 because they could, it didn't cost them much and there's enough ultra loyal customers to do it.

I couldn't get passed 10 hours of 13 before my interest completely died, and I've completed most of the major entries.
:D

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #164 on: April 1, 2016, 06:30:56 pm »
I get that you're an FF fan Nessy but there's a more or less universal consensus that the series has been on a massive decline since 10.

People still want to love it but 13 indicated they're a bit out of touch with modern storytelling and characterization in games. They made FF13-2 and 3 because they could, it didn't cost them much and there's enough ultra loyal customers to do it.

I couldn't get passed 10 hours of 13 before my interest completely died, and I've completed most of the major entries.

Wouldn't say a massive fan, I don't have any of the merch or a Sepiroth tattoo or anything. To me it looks much the same as most things; people will always feel that it was better when they first discovered it.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2021, 11:53:11 pm »
I made this thread 10 years ago, time flies ;D

Anyway, there was a huge game leak from nVidia recently and the Square section had some interesting titles.

Chrono Cross Remaster
FF Tactics remaster
FF7 Remake
FF9 Remake
FF 16
Tomb Raider Anniversary (2021)
Unannounced title by Square Enix
Kingdom Hearts IV

https://old.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/pndwey/definitive_compilation_of_leaked_geforce_now/
:D

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2021, 12:24:40 am »
I made this thread 10 years ago, time flies ;D

Anyway, there was a huge game leak from nVidia recently and the Square section had some interesting titles.

Chrono Cross Remaster
FF Tactics remaster
FF7 Remake
FF9 Remake
FF 16
Tomb Raider Anniversary (2021)
Unannounced title by Square Enix
Kingdom Hearts IV

https://old.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/pndwey/definitive_compilation_of_leaked_geforce_now/

When are Squaresoft going to remake Aliens? Preferably with a rejig of the Nobuo Uematsu soundtrack.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258