Author Topic: Vatican letter told Ireland's Catholic bishops not to report child abuse  (Read 84349 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Vatican letter told Ireland's Catholic bishops not to report child abuse

Policy to tell police about priest suspects was vetoed, as lawyers say proof at last of cover-up by papacy

A copy of the 1997 letter from the Vatican, obtained by Irish broadcasters RTE and provided to AP, warning Ireland's Catholic bishops not to report all suspected child-abuse cases to police. Photograph: AP

A letter to Ireland's Roman Catholic bishops has been revealed by the broadcaster RTE that contradicts the Vatican's frequent claim it has never instructed clergy to withhold evidence or suspicion of child abuse from police.

The 1997 letter documents rejection of a 1996 Irish church initiative to help police identify paedophile priests. Signed by the late Archbishop Luciano Storero, Pope John Paul II's envoy to Ireland, it instructs bishops that their new policy of making the reporting of suspected crimes mandatory "gives rise to serious reservations of both a moral and canonical nature".

Storero wrote that canon law, whereby allegations and punishments are handled within the church, "must be meticulously followed"; any bishop who tried to go outside canon law would face the "highly embarrassing" position of being overturned on appeal in Rome.

A 2009 Irish state report found this actually happened with Tony Walsh, one of Dublin's most notorious paedophiles, who exploited his role as an Elvis impersonator in a popular "All Priests Show" to get closer to children. In 1993, Walsh was defrocked by a secret church court, but successfully appealed to a Vatican court, and was reinstated in the priesthood in 1994. He raped a boy in a pub restroom that year. Walsh since has received a series of prison sentences, with a 12-year term imposed last month. Investigators estimate he raped or molested more than 100 children.

Catholic officials in Ireland and the Vatican declined requests from the Associated Press to comment on the letter, marked "strictly confidential"; RTE said it had been given it by an Irish bishop.

"The letter is of huge international significance," said Colm O'Gorman, director of the Irish section of Amnesty International. "It shows that the Vatican's intention is to prevent reporting of abuse to criminal authorities. And if that instruction applied here [in Ireland], it applied everywhere."

Joelle Casteix, a director of the US advocacy group Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, described it as "the smoking gun we've been looking for." It was certain to be cited by lawyers acting for victims seeking to pin responsibility directly on Rome, not the dioceses.

To this day, the Vatican has not endorsed any of the Irish church's three documents since 1996 on safeguarding children. Irish taxpayers, rather than the church, have paid most of the €1.5bn to more than 14,000 abuse claimants dating back to the 1940s.

In a 2010 letter to Ireland condemning paedophiles in the ranks, Pope Benedict XVI faulted bishops for not following canon law and offered no explicit endorsement of child-protection efforts by the Irish church or state. He was widely criticised in Ireland.

O'Gorman (who was raped repeatedly by a priest in the 1980s when an altar boy) said evidence is mounting that some Irish bishops continued to follow the 1997 Vatican instructions. A state investigation of Cloyne diocese is to come out soon, citing crimes concealed as recently as 2008.

source

Two things.

Firstly, the last Vatican thread was locked because of reports to Mods by those who felt it was just a forum for abusing and ridiculing Catholics, so can we keep this to the news item itself?

Secondly, the report says that Associated Press were given the letter by RTE (Irish State broadcaster). I did a search on the RTE site for Vatican news and turned up nothing on this. Odd, no?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:58:13 pm by corkboy »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Vatican letter told Ireland's Catholic bishops not to report child abuse
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:01:40 pm »
. (monitoring dot)
Yep.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:13:51 pm »
Heard a bit about this yesterday. Quick question: If true, and it seems to be, can they be prosecuted for witholding evidence from an ongoing  investigation? And if so, who can they prosecute as the archbishop that signed it is now dead? Could the pope be questioned?!?
(Ok, not quick, but...)

This bit is truly sick:
"A 2009 Irish state report found this actually happened with Tony Walsh, one of Dublin's most notorious paedophiles, who exploited his role as an Elvis impersonator in a popular "All Priests Show" to get closer to children. In 1993, Walsh was defrocked by a secret church court, but successfully appealed to a Vatican court, and was reinstated in the priesthood in 1994."

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 01:28:30 pm »
Secondly, the report says that Associated Press were given the letter by RTE (Irish State broadcaster). I did a search on the RTE site for Vatican news and turned up nothing on this. Odd, no?
Are RTE reporting it on the radio news? Have a tune in at 2oc

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 01:50:16 pm »
It's all over NPR here. They source RTE. Check out wbur.org at noon EST for Here and Now. Robin Young will dedicate an hour to it. I'll put the link up in about 2 hours or so.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:30:58 pm by El Campeador »

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 02:21:08 pm »
Heard a bit about this yesterday. Quick question: If true, and it seems to be, can they be prosecuted for witholding evidence from an ongoing  investigation? And if so, who can they prosecute as the archbishop that signed it is now dead? Could the pope be questioned?!?
(Ok, not quick, but...)

If by prosecuted, you mean criminal charges, I would guess not very likely but it would depend on the detail, i.e. whether any church official actually gave false or misleading statements to investigators or destroyed evidence.

The real meat is this.

Joelle Casteix, a director of the US advocacy group Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, described it as "the smoking gun we've been looking for." It was certain to be cited by lawyers acting for victims seeking to pin responsibility directly on Rome, not the dioceses.

Your typical diocese has a bishop and a few trustees who own all church property in that area. If you get an award against them, that's your pot and there might not be much. All the while, the Vatican sticks its fingers in its ears and goes, la la la, we can't hear you and it was nothing to do with us. They, on the other hand (if the legends are true) have buckets of money. If an American jury (well known for massive awards) gets to make an award against the Vatican, it will really hurt them.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 02:27:04 pm »
What was the name of the programme on this on RTE the other night, might be able to post a link but cannot remember the bloody title ???
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 02:27:31 pm »
What was the name of the programme on this on RTE the other night, might be able to post a link but cannot remember the bloody title ???
http://www.rte.ie/tv/wouldyoubelieve/index.html

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 02:32:04 pm »
The real meat is this...

Nice one. That would open them up to a lot of damages all right. American courts could conceivably bankrupt them.

Btw, I didn't know the bishop owned the wealth of his diocese. Bloody mental that.  :o

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 02:34:56 pm »
Cant the vatican just say no to any american court case?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 02:35:55 pm »
Btw, I didn't know the bishop owned the wealth of his diocese. Bloody mental that.  :o

Not really. It's not like he gets to spend it or even leave it in his will. Bishops live lives of comparative luxury but I'm not sure you could call them rich.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 03:40:24 pm »

Corky, I suppose we really should toe the line and instead 'Think of the poor children in Africa' before highlighting any hypocrisy in the official position and utterances of the RC establishment against what was long suspected but is now being shown to have been in certain quarters endemic systematic sexual abuse of children in their care, something practiced and hidden for so long and with continued denials and deliberate obfuscation right from the top.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline ..Bruiser..

• A liver bird upon me chest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 03:43:28 pm »
I thought it was common knowledge that the current pope instructed dealing with it internally without the police when he was a cardinal? Pardon me if I'm wrong.
96 friends we'll never forget
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 05:03:34 pm »
I thought it was common knowledge that the current pope instructed dealing with it internally without the police when he was a cardinal? Pardon me if I'm wrong.

I think it was widely suspected but this would be a very clear cut bit of evidence.

Offline ..Bruiser..

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 05:10:54 pm »
I think it was widely suspected but this would be a very clear cut bit of evidence.
Same message from 2 cardinals then?
The law cannot be put aside, abuse is a crime and authorities need to deal with it. It's a mistake however well-intentioned to think that they can deal with it amongst themselves. The intentions are only to save the face of the church sadly.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 05:15:30 pm »
Same message from 2 cardinals then?
The law cannot be put aside, abuse is a crime and authorities need to deal with it. It's a mistake however well-intentioned to think that they can deal with it amongst themselves. The intentions are only to save the face of the church sadly.

I don't think there was any well intention about it. Their conduct seems to me to say only that canon (i.e. church) law trumped civil and criminal law. In fact, they actually said they were morally right...

it instructs bishops that their new policy of making the reporting of suspected crimes mandatory "gives rise to serious reservations of both a moral and canonical nature"

I would love to hear the rationale for that.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 05:16:59 pm »
. (monitoring dot)

I see you've had work to do already. Sorry!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 05:36:20 pm »
The "moral" thing had me wondering the most, too. WTF?

They think covering it up, presumably so people don't lose faith in the church, is better than getting rid of the rot? That's working out well.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 05:36:25 pm »
Bit of a strange article I found on line. Can't find these quotes anywhere else, but I'll post it and let you make of it what you will.

Interesting, News, World, Europe, Business, Technologies, Science, Cosmos, Sport

Vatican letter on reporting abuse ‘misunderstood’
without comments

But, he added, "It's not a smoking gun because it is not a directive. Not an order. This is one Vatican official giving his opinion. It is not a policy document."

A 1997 letter from the Vatican's representative to bishops in Ireland warns them to follow church law in investigating cases of suspected child sex abuse by priests and expresses "serious reservations" about requiring that such cases be reported to the police.

"In particular, the situation of 'mandatory reporting' gives rise to serious reservations of both a moral and a canonical nature," he added.

A Vatican spokesman, Federico Lombardi, said the letter rightly insists that canon law be respected to ensure that guilty priests have no grounds for recourse.

The two-page letter, written by Apostolic Nuncio Luciano Storero, was sent to bishops in Ireland in response to a document they had sent to the Vatican that recommends mandatory reporting of cases of suspected child sex abuse by priests.

Jeffrey Lena, the lawyer representing the Holy See in the United States, said in a statement that "the letter in question has been deeply misunderstood."

The Vatican has responded by calling the letter "deeply misunderstood."

"It's certainly an embarrassment for the Vatican," said Senior Vatican Analyst John L. Allen, Jr. "It's another confirmation that, in the late 1990s, there was deep ambivalence in the Vatican about how far they should go in terms of reporting priestly sex abuse to civil authorities."

"We need to remember that the letter was written before the norms of 2001," which clarified the matter, he said.

He said its primary purpose "was to help ensure that bishops who discipline their priests for sexual abuse did so in a manner that would ensure that the priest not avoid punishment based upon technical grounds. This is precisely the opposite of what has been reported in many press accounts."

Current Church policy calls for such cases learned about outside the confessional to be reported to police, he said.

The letter also raised questions about the canonical validity of what Lena called the "study document" produced by the Irish Bishops' Conference. "As such, contrary to media reports, the letter did not constitute a rejection of the position of the conference," he said. "Finally, and again in stark contrast to news reports, the letter nowhere instructed Irish Bishops to disregard civil law reporting requirements."

The RTE program "Would You Believe?" said Pope Benedict XVI is now doing more than any previous pope has done to tackle abuse, but asked whether that has been enough.

The letter was obtained by Irish state broadcaster RTE for a religious-affairs program broadcast Monday. RTE said it had received the letter from an Irish bishop and that Catholic officials in the country had previously refused to release it. A lawyer for the Vatican sent a copy of the letter to .

But victims' and survivors' groups in Ireland said the letter proves the protection of pedophile priests from criminal investigation was not only sanctioned by Vatican leaders but ordered by them. One in Four, an organization representing victims of sexual abuse in Ireland, said the letter raised questions about the inquiry into child sex abuse by clerics in Ireland.

After studying the Irish bishops' document, the Vatican's Congregation for the Clergy said it contains "procedures and dispositions which appear contrary to canonical discipline and which, if applied, could invalidate the acts of the same bishops who are attempting to put a stop to these problems.

The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests raised similar concerns. "In the mid 1990s, Irish bishops wanted to start telling law enforcement about horrific child sex crimes," the group said in a statement. "Top Vatican bureaucrats told them no. That's what this newly-released letter shows. We can't help but wonder how many other similar documents in which the Vatican thwarts local efforts to combat abuse remain hidden in church records across the world."

"If such procedures were followed by the bishops and there were cases of eventual hierarchical recourse lodged at the Holy See, the results could be highly embarrassing and detrimental to those same diocesan authorities," Storero wrote.

http://forum.fanfiction.net/topic/30683/2024369/24/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:19:55 pm by RedRabbit »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 05:37:54 pm »
:wave. Any deviation from the topic will be sorted. Thanks.
Yep.

Offline Drippy Dick

• probably due to the tumble tossing
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 05:41:28 pm »
Cant the vatican just say no to any american court case?

Can someone answer this? I`d think the Vatican would be out of jurisdiction so as to speak. Dont think they need to follow any verdict an American court makes
I live my life for the stars that shine

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 05:44:52 pm »
Can someone answer this? I`d think the Vatican would be out of jurisdiction so as to speak. Dont think they need to follow any verdict an American court makes
Assets in the US would not be out of reach.

Offline Drippy Dick

• probably due to the tumble tossing
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 06:07:52 pm »
Assets in the US would not be out of reach.

Ahh gotcha. Had no idea the Vatican had assets in the US. Is that churches, land, etc? Sorry but I am clueless regards most things
I live my life for the stars that shine

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 06:27:14 pm »
Ahh gotcha. Had no idea the Vatican had assets in the US. Is that churches, land, etc? Sorry but I am clueless regards most things

I expect they do, though determining precise ownership may be difficult as I imagine the RC church probably employed Daedalus as a financial advisor when setting things up.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 07:36:49 pm »
The Here and Now story today - I am in class all day so I haven't had time to listen to it.

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2011/01/19/sex-abuse-catholic

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 09:08:22 pm »
"It's not a smoking gun because it is not a directive. Not an order. This is one Vatican official giving his opinion. It is not a policy document."

First of all, that Lombardi chap, who is calling the letter misunderstood, is the Vatican's Press Secretary, their CJ Cregg with a lower hemline, so his job is to spin and doesn't he do it well?

"Not a policy document" is hard to follow. I can't read it very well but the letter clearly starts with "the Congregation of the Clergy" and says that body "wishes to emphasise" this or that. The letter is directed to the members of the Irish Episcopal Conference. It's hardly one guy talking to another, is it?

The Congregation of the Clergy, by the way, is draped in the opacity of most church dealings with wikipedia noting that they don't deal with sex abuse cases "any more". It dates from the 1500s and was originally sort of the Oversight Committee for stuff relating to the the Council of Trent, which was an awful lot.

Offline ..Bruiser..

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 09:44:04 pm »
First of all, that Lombardi chap, who is calling the letter misunderstood, is the Vatican's Press Secretary, their CJ Cregg with a lower hemline, so his job is to spin and doesn't he do it well?

He sure does. It's like saying I didn't have a toss because I used my left hand. The majority of wools are likely to just go along with this blind.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 10:38:21 pm »

What a strange image you've given me.  :o
He seems to be very good at it. Mind you, he's had loads of practice in the last few years.

"Not a policy document" is hard to follow. I can't read it very well but the letter clearly starts with "the Congregation of the Clergy" and says that body "wishes to emphasise" this or that. The letter is directed to the members of the Irish Episcopal Conference. It's hardly one guy talking to another, is it?

So a quick, slightly strained, view of the letter points to him not being entirely truthful there. Wonder who else will connect the two. RTE? 

The Congregation of the Clergy, by the way, is draped in the opacity of most church dealings with wikipedia noting that they don't deal with sex abuse cases "any more". It dates from the 1500s and was originally sort of the Oversight Committee for stuff relating to the the Council of Trent, which was an awful lot.

Ah, the old "there is only one book and it says what we tell you it says" boys. Can't have a good RC story without them popping up somewhere.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Your typical diocese has a bishop and a few trustees who own all church property in that area. If you get an award against them, that's your pot and there might not be much. All the while, the Vatican sticks its fingers in its ears and goes, la la la, we can't hear you and it was nothing to do with us. They, on the other hand (if the legends are true) have buckets of money. If an American jury (well known for massive awards) gets to make an award against the Vatican, it will really hurt them.

Looks like they're getting closer to the Vatican gold....

US diplomatic service serves sex abuse case papers on Vatican

Irish Times April 14 2011
PATSY McGARRY, Religious Affairs Correspondent

THE US has allowed its diplomatic service to be used on behalf of a Chicago man to serve court papers on the Vatican, suing Pope Benedict, Vatican secretary of state Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone and his predecessor, Cardinal Angelo Sodano, in connection with clerical child sex abuse.

The papers allege all three conspired to keep silent an abuse allegations against Fr Lawrence Murphy at St John’s School for the Deaf, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

The priest, who died in 1998, admitted abusing 34 children there.

An attempt last January to serve the same papers on the Vatican through the more usual Federal Express failed. Msgr Brian Wells of the Vatican secretariat of state refused them, saying they were “undesired and unwanted”.

Terry Kohut, the man bringing the action, was a student at St John’s in the 1970s, and is one of an estimated 200 deaf students who it is claimed were sexually abused by the then director of the school Fr Murphy.

In a diplomatic note accompanying the court papers, which it conveyed to the Vatican’s secretariat of state on April 4th last, the US embassy to the Holy See pointed out that under US law the defendant (in this instance the Pope and the two cardinals) must respond within 60 days of the papers being served “or face the possibility of having judgment entered against it without the opportunity of presenting evidence or arguments on its behalf”.

Jeff Anderson, Mr Kohut’s lawyer, described the earlier refusal by the Vatican to receive the papers as “an appalling and inexcusable slight to survivors, but consistent with the Catholic Church hierarchy’s tactics of deceit, delay and denial”.

On confirmation the papers had been served, he said it would be “interesting to see what new tactic for delay they will come up with”.

In 1996 the then archbishop of Milwaukee, Archbishop Rembert Weakland, complained about Fr Murphy in a letter to the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, of which Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope, was prefect.

In 1997 the congregation instructed Archbishop Weakland to hold a canonical trial into the allegations against Fr Murphy.

It then changed its mind following a plea from the priest. The Vatican cited Fr Murphy’s advanced age, failing health and lack of further allegations for stopping the trial.

Mr Kohut wrote letters directly to Cardinal Sodano in 1995, reporting he had been abused by Fr Murphy.

When the Vatican refused the court papers last January, Mr Anderson called on the current archbishop of New York, Archbishop Timothy Dolan, to get involved. Archbishop Dolan, who recently led the apostolic visitation to Ireland’s seminaries, had been archbishop of Milwaukee from 2002 to 2009.

source

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
Good luck with that!
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
I think the taxpayers of Ireland should now sue the Vatican for our 1.5 billion back
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Irish report on child sex abuse berates Vatican

Bishop John Magee singled out for misleading authorities about attacks on children and not reporting cases to police

Henry McDonald, Ireland correspondent
    guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 13 July 2011 19.03 BST

A devastating report into clerical child abuse in an Irish Catholic diocese has accused the Vatican of being "entirely unhelpful" in dealing with allegations of sexual exploitation.

It also singled out an Irish bishop who was the close confidant of three popes for deliberately misleading authorities in the republic about the church's internal inquiries into children's claims that priests were abusing them.

The investigation into the diocese of Cloyne, which includes Co Cork, said Bishop John Magee had little interest in the way child sex abuse cases were handled until 2008, when the scandal had become international news.

Magee was an extremely powerful figure not only in the Irish church but also in Rome, where he had been a private secretary to three popes, including John Paul I and John Paul II. Magee was the first Vatican official on the scene when John Paul I was found dead in his quarters.

The Commission of Investigation report also said Rome's decision to brand a document on child sexual abuse as unofficial allowed individual bishops "the freedom to ignore" strict guidelines on protecting children.

The authors of the report said the Vatican's actions "can only be described as unsupportive in relation to the civil authorities" – the Garda Síochána and child protection agencies. The 431-page report, launched by the ministers for justice and children, examined allegations made against 19 priests in the diocese between 1996 and 2000.

These claims of abuse were among the most up-to-date against clergy. The report follows other damning reports in other dioceses that found a culture of cover-up and denial in the church hierarchy.

In stinging criticism of Magee, who resigned in March 2010, the report concluded: "It is a remarkable fact that Bishop Magee took little or no active interest in the management of clerical child sexual abuse cases until 2008, 12 years after the framework document was adopted.

"It became clear during the course of this investigation that Bishop Magee had, to a certain extent, detached himself from the day to day management of child sexual abuse cases. Bishop Magee was the head of the diocese and cannot avoid his responsibility by blaming subordinates who he wholly failed to supervise."

The inquiry, led by judge Yvonne Murphy, said the fact that some child sexual abuse allegations were not reported to police was the diocese's "greatest failure". There were 15 cases between 1996 and 2005 which "very clearly" should have been reported. Yet police were not told about nine cases. "The most serious lapse was the failure to report the two cases in which the alleged victims were minors.

"Given the diocese's knowledge of clerical sexual abuse and its effects on complainants it was wrong of the diocese not to put in place a proper support system for complainant."

Andrew Madden, a victim of sexual abuse while an altar boy in the Dublin archdiocese, said the report proved that, "with occasional exceptions, Catholic bishops cannot be trusted with allegations of child sexual abuse."

The Dublin Rape Crisis Centre described the Cloyne report as a "terrible indictment" of the way the church handled the allegations. Ellen O'Malley Dunlop, of the centre, said: "Here is another report which makes for unbelievable reading in relation to how the Catholic church dealt with allegations of child sexual abuse … in the diocese of Cloyne.

"There is no excuse of being on a 'learning curve' this time. The church's own child protection guidelines were in place from 1996, yet the report tells us time and time again that the implementation of the policies and procedures was inadequate and inappropriate. It was not until 2008 that the diocese began to follow proper procedures.

"The publication of this report will again reopen the wounds of the victims involved and other victims around the country who had similar experiences. It may also trigger people's memories for the first time."

source

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
The most serious lapse was the failure to report the two cases in which the alleged victims were minors.

Thought they were all minors.

Have they found out where the fucker is yet?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Thought they were all minors.

Still minors, is how I read it.

A quick google suggest he's either in America or the Vatican.

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
I heard the news today (oh boy) and thought of Corky and this thread
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
I heard the news today (oh boy) and thought of Corky and this thread

And though the news was rather sad
Well, I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
[contemplates crude joke about holes, reckons he would have to ban himself, resists....]
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
Still minors, is how I read it.

A quick google suggest he's either in America or the Vatican.

Got it now. Thought they were saying just two.  :duh

Heard another bishop yesterday saying he hadn't a clue where he was. Of course he would say that. If he's in the Vatican can he be extradited?