Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 236975 times)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2011, 08:20:30 am »

Oh right thanks.

I quite liked the exploring and travelling in Fallout 3 and would have hope there'd be more of that in Skyrim. Ah well, we'll see how much of that there is when it comes out.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2011, 08:25:16 am »
I'm sure there will be that opportunity as Bethesda tend to be conscious that a big part of their PC audience are playing for the 'sandbox' aspect of their games. But what I don't think they'll ever go back on is the handholding they do in the games. Maybe it can be modded out - Oblivion and Morrowind both benefited a lot from the work of modders if you enjoy the journey more than just getting to the destination.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2011, 08:47:55 am »
Sometimes it's fun to just wander around aimlessly getting lost and seeing where you end up and chatting shite to random people, sometimes you just want to run around and kill things. The bonus about these games is you can do both.

Offline NotAsBigDanno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2011, 10:39:33 am »
My favourite part of the fallout games and oblivion was placing a marker into an empty space on the map and walking to it, found some really good side quests that way.
Really looking forward to getting this game, where's the best place to preorder from?

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2011, 10:44:29 am »
Can't wait for this. The last Oblivion had me entertained for ages. Walking around finding new things never got boring.
Justice for the 97

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2011, 11:30:15 am »
i actually cant wait..

since seeing the 20min game review i've been dying to play it, more so than when oblivion came out, and to a lesser extent morrowind
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2011, 01:21:54 pm »
I've never played an Elder Scolls game before. Judging by the amount of hype Skyrim has generated, i will probably get this.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #207 on: September 16, 2011, 01:30:55 pm »
Re: The levelling my really profound hope is that you almost won't notice it - or if you do it'll be a case of 'Oh, I could really do with some better potions so I'll make an effort to brew up some easy to make ones and get better', or 'I'm a bit weak with a sword so I'll go and bash up these weaker skellies' etc - the bonus in the Elder Scrolls games is that, where in other games this can be tedious 'grinding', in Elder Scrolls you can still discover new places and loot new kit by doing it, rather than kind of camping in an area with weak enemies and killing them over and over again. Or you can summon creatures to bash for practice.

As for the discovery thing it's really just a pathetically minor quibble at the end of the day. That I'm reduced to quibbling about something like that as an absolutely massive, massive fan of the series is promising in itself.

I do recommend you check out 'deadly reflex mod' for Oblivion in Youtube - you'll see what I mean about what I'm hoping the combat system might be like. That mod looks amazingly dynamic.

Oh, and of course a HUGE bonus of getting this on PC is that things like the 'you have discovered...' will be dealt with by mods - the Elder Scrolls modding community is insane and within a year of this being out you'll be able to fine tune just about any aspect you don't like, like the look of etc etc, not to mention a nigh on infinity of extra quests, locations, weapons, items etc etc etc etc.

I am almost certain that flyable dragons will be available as a mod before too long, that is if Bethesda don't get on it first with their DLC.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 16, 2011, 01:34:37 pm »
Sometimes it's fun to just wander around aimlessly getting lost and seeing where you end up and chatting shite to random people, sometimes you just want to run around and kill things. The bonus about these games is you can do both.
Yep, that's the heart of what makes these games so great allright. It's why I mentioned STALKER earlier, it's one of the other tiny, tiny number of games that actually give you a feeling of freedom, as opposed to the Bioware ones which fool you into thinking you're in a bigger world when actually you're in a very small one being led by the hand the whole time (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but for me my gaming heaven back in the day was Frontier: Elite II - so having had that taste of freedom I crave it! As an aside the 'X' series of space-epic games are well worth a look if you loved Frontier and/or love open world games, and/or stuff like TIE fighter and Wing Commander back in the day....and why the hell don't they really make any good space games anymore?)

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2011, 01:41:40 pm »
Looks amazing, plus the duel wield is a welcome addition.

The massive spiders can fuck right off though

Offline Stevie93

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 16, 2011, 02:22:29 pm »
Looks amazing, plus the duel wield is a welcome addition.

The massive spiders can fuck right off though

Man up.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2011, 03:34:12 pm »
I've never played an Elder Scolls game before. Judging by the amount of hype Skyrim has generated, i will probably get this.

Try oblivion for sure.  You've got a couple months before this is out, have a run at it.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #212 on: September 16, 2011, 03:49:33 pm »
A Demon's Souls style combat in this world would be amazing, don't think the combat will be as brutal as that though.

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #213 on: September 16, 2011, 03:58:58 pm »
There's no 'main' skills now and you can level up after increasing any of your skills. So what if I spend first hours of the game doing some peaceful stuff, increase my, for example, alchemy and smithing and when I finally go to some cave all the monsters in there are already more deadly and I have shitty fighting skills :D

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: September 16, 2011, 04:16:01 pm »
There's no 'main' skills now and you can level up after increasing any of your skills. So what if I spend first hours of the game doing some peaceful stuff, increase my, for example, alchemy and smithing and when I finally go to some cave all the monsters in there are already more deadly and I have shitty fighting skills :D

Then you're well and truly fucked.

Have a nice day :wave

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: September 16, 2011, 04:56:59 pm »

Better make some nice potions to pick up the slack :D

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 16, 2011, 05:33:34 pm »
..or go into the cave later! Apparently the world levelling is different than Oblivion too, so there should be areas that stay easy no matter how developed your character gets, just like there should be areas which are completely impossible for a low level/skill character.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #217 on: September 16, 2011, 05:42:28 pm »
Definitely focusing on the magic in this. I hated melee weapons on the Fallout games and whats more fun then killing people and creatures with ridiculously powerful magic?
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #218 on: September 16, 2011, 05:51:54 pm »
Definitely focusing on the magic in this. I hated melee weapons on the Fallout games and whats more fun then killing people and creatures with ridiculously powerful magic?

Cheating to make a spell so powerful it kills everything in one hit.

I had good fun with that.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2011, 06:04:06 pm »
Try oblivion for sure.  You've got a couple months before this is out, have a run at it.
Not sure if i should go for Oblivion or Fallout 3/New Vegas. I also just bought Mass Effect.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #220 on: September 16, 2011, 07:00:45 pm »
(which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but for me my gaming heaven back in the day was Frontier: Elite II - so having had that taste of freedom I crave it! As an aside the 'X' series of space-epic games are well worth a look if you loved Frontier and/or love open world games, and/or stuff like TIE fighter and Wing Commander back in the day....and why the hell don't they really make any good space games anymore?)

Vega Strike isn't too bad for an opensource project. Might be worth a look if you've not tried it.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 16, 2011, 08:21:12 pm »
Not sure if i should go for Oblivion or Fallout 3/New Vegas. I also just bought Mass Effect.
You won't get them done in 2 months. I found New Vegas more fun than Fallout 3 but I think the general opinion is that 3 is better for some reason.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2011, 08:37:04 pm »

I've played both and Fallout 3 is far better than New Vegas, also Mass Effect is amazing.
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2011, 08:57:32 pm »
You won't get them done in 2 months. I found New Vegas more fun than Fallout 3 but I think the general opinion is that 3 is better for some reason.

General opinion isn't always right.

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2011, 10:15:02 pm »
I played Oblivion last month and was a battle mage (more into magic). Skyrim seems to be focused on melee combat more to me.

Offline NotAsBigDanno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2011, 08:37:32 am »
Just having a look at pre-ordering this, why is the collectors edition £129.99?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2011, 08:43:45 am »
Re: The levelling my really profound hope is that you almost won't notice it - or if you do it'll be a case of 'Oh, I could really do with some better potions so I'll make an effort to brew up some easy to make ones and get better', or 'I'm a bit weak with a sword so I'll go and bash up these weaker skellies' etc - the bonus in the Elder Scrolls games is that, where in other games this can be tedious 'grinding', in Elder Scrolls you can still discover new places and loot new kit by doing it, rather than kind of camping in an area with weak enemies and killing them over and over again. Or you can summon creatures to bash for practice.

That's good to hear. Didn't know you can summon creatures and the like but there's a lot I don't know about the Elder Scrolls games so it'll be a nice surprise to discover all the things a player can do in that game.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2011, 12:07:35 pm »
That's good to hear. Didn't know you can summon creatures and the like but there's a lot I don't know about the Elder Scrolls games so it'll be a nice surprise to discover all the things a player can do in that game.
The BEST thing about these games - as I discovered playing Morrowind having never played them before - is that while in most games you have an idea and think: "I wonder if I can open that door/sneak up behind that guy/ooh that cave looks interesting..." and the answer is often no/you can't sneak up on him/sorry that's just scenery and you can't go in there..." in these games you pretty much always can do it.

Oooh, that guy has great kit - well, if you're that way inclined, kill him and keep it for yourself. Though you might regret it when you realise you needed that guy for a quest later...

I think my personal favourite discovery was ages into Morrowind and I'm wondering what these 'soul gem' things do. OK, so I'll try equipping one and...Whoa! Cool! I can actually enchant my OWN items!

In my current game of morrowind I've just enchanted a bunch of rings so that I can:

Fly, breath under water, walk on water and see in the dark. All permanently as long as I'm wearing the relevant ring.

Plus that stuff isn't for show - there are things to be discovered that you can't reach unless you can fly, or breath under water, or see in total darkness. Again, not like most games which are a lot like a roller-coaster that spends a lot of time and effort to make you think you're in control of the ride, in these ones it's not just possible to go 'ooh, I wonder what's up on that ledge over there, let me just cast a levitation spell...' you are positively rewarded for that kind of experimentation and exploration.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:14:28 pm by hesbighesred »

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »
Yes! Game.co.uk is back up time to do some mass preordering.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2011, 12:12:54 pm »
I played Oblivion last month and was a battle mage (more into magic). Skyrim seems to be focused on melee combat more to me.
I doubt it. I think they've just shown more melee combat in the trailers because:

a) Most people build characters with at least some ability to Melee, even if it isn't the focus and because...
b) From the looks of things it's one area where the improvement over previous games is both pretty obvious and quite visually spectacular. Shooting a bow is just shooting a bow, casting a spell looks much better but again we get the idea, melee on the other hand looks miles better than before. Notice also they made a point of showing that you can do smithing and work for a mill, and they show enchanting in the skills menu, as well as perks - but they don't really show you any alchemy, I suspect because they had their alchemy system down in Morrowind, it was much the same for Oblivion and there won't be anything much new about it in Skyrim.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2011, 09:38:40 am »

I loved doing that in Fallout 3. Basically doing what you want. Obviously there's no spells or magic but that'll be sorted when I buy Skyrim.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2011, 12:26:01 pm »
Any cheap pre-order prices for this on 360 about? Not bothered about getting it early but on release would be nice.
XBL: Flash6289

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 19, 2011, 02:20:10 pm »
I loved doing that in Fallout 3. Basically doing what you want. Obviously there's no spells or magic but that'll be sorted when I buy Skyrim.
Yep. I don't think I've been this excited about a new game ever. I'm thinking about faking my own death for a couple of months after the 11th just so I can play this uninterrupted and undisturbed. :P ;D

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 19, 2011, 07:31:49 pm »
Think I'm going scrap finishing the original Deus Ex and start another round of Oblivion just to get back in the mood.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 20, 2011, 01:08:10 am »
Think I'm going scrap finishing the original Deus Ex and start another round of Oblivion just to get back in the mood.
How far in are you? It's worth playing to the end, the story of the game is well told and the ending(s) live(s) up to that promise pretty handsomely.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #235 on: September 20, 2011, 01:13:07 am »
Cannot wait for this game, one of those that sucks you in.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: September 20, 2011, 01:50:51 am »
How far in are you? It's worth playing to the end, the story of the game is well told and the ending(s) live(s) up to that promise pretty handsomely.

Just went ahead and powered through to the end, did the Illuminati ending but will just view the other endings on youtube or something.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2011, 08:58:21 pm »

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #238 on: September 21, 2011, 08:13:22 am »
This is about a month old so maybe you guys have seen it already?

http://www.ripten.com/2011/08/25/one-hour-with-skyrim-finally-made-me-a-true-believer-hands-on/

Anyway, I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before and after reading that (and the posts in here) I went and pre-ordered Skyrim :D

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2011, 10:02:35 am »
This is about a month old so maybe you guys have seen it already?

http://www.ripten.com/2011/08/25/one-hour-with-skyrim-finally-made-me-a-true-believer-hands-on/

Anyway, I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before and after reading that (and the posts in here) I went and pre-ordered Skyrim :D

good choice, you wont be dissappointed.
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly