Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 237031 times)

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2011, 06:21:12 pm »
On which note it'd be awesome if they brought back the Morag Tong (or an equivalent), I always seem to be unable to be an evil badass on these games. I can do ambivalent, indeed prefer it (one of the things I really dislike about bioware games is the lack of a decent middle option, or rather that you're always punished by the game mechanics for going that way and the choices are so painfully black and white) but I'm not into murdering the innocent for no reason. Other than the odd save/reload obviously! ;)

I find it hard to be black or white, simply because I dont roleplay, I play it as if I'm playing a game (you know what I mean). I'll choose the easiest way to do something with no regard for NPC 'life' so I've never had this problem with games. Simply because I'm never immersed enough.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2011, 11:13:34 pm »
I find it hard to be black or white, simply because I dont roleplay, I play it as if I'm playing a game (you know what I mean). I'll choose the easiest way to do something with no regard for NPC 'life' so I've never had this problem with games. Simply because I'm never immersed enough.
Ahh fair play. I'm not a hardcore role-player but I do get attached to a character I must say.

By the way, for anyone who is playing (or interested in playing) Morrowind, check this out, it's a compendium of mods to beef up the graphics etc etc:

http://www.gamepron.com/file/944/Morrowind-2011-Mod-Compendium/

If you're running it on Win 7 and Steam then you need to first make sure 'morrowind' 'morrowind launcher' and the 'morrowind original' file that gets created are all run with admin rights (under properties compatibility), then change the resolution to something else and back on the launcher to get it to work. I'm about to fire it up now and I might report back if I don't disappear for the next 37 hours...or until Deus Ex arrives! ;)
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2011, 11:48:17 pm »
Since we're on it, what kind of character is everyone intending to play?

I think I'll go with a sword 'n' spell Dark Elf, with ranged magic goodness and double sword slicage when it gets up close and personal. I'm not a big fan of really heavy armour for some reason so I might add stealth skills into the mix as well if they work well with ranged spells.

A Curry eating fat orc.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2011, 02:25:53 am »
Since we're on it, what kind of character is everyone intending to play?

Always been a stealthy Breton.  Build up alchemy, illusion and destruction, as well as light armor, archery and blade.  Sneak around invisible with detect life, sneak them in the back with an enchanted bow/arrow for massive damage, turn invisible again, rinse and repeat.

I'm sure there will be a world's difference in this compared to Oblivion so I'll just have to check out the races first then go from there.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:27:42 am by The Red Dojo »

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2011, 03:25:15 am »
Always been a stealthy Breton.  Build up alchemy, illusion and destruction, as well as light armor, archery and blade.  Sneak around invisible with detect life, sneak them in the back with an enchanted bow/arrow for massive damage, turn invisible again, rinse and repeat.

I'm sure there will be a world's difference in this compared to Oblivion so I'll just have to check out the races first then go from there.

That's pretty much my tactic as well. Worked a treat in ruins and mines and the like. Although in my most played game I never really built up my alchemy that high because one of the Mage Guild quests, the Cheydinhal one, I left it too long to search for the ring after receiving the quest and it glitched. No matter how many times I went down that well, there was never a ring there. It was a well known bug, but I'd already saved it and I was about 30 hours in at this point. So I just didn't bother with the Mage's Guild. I played another save, that I didn't enjoy as much, for the purpose of doing those quests later. It was seriously gutting that my man Beren Cuthalion could never become a Mage though.

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2011, 03:44:30 am »
My alchemy skill in Oblivion skyrocketed to 100 pretty quickly because of all them apples and corns lying in every damn container :D Played as stealthy Breton too. Well I'm still playing, but got bored of it though only completed 2 main quests :\ I hope this won't happen in Skyrim.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2011, 03:47:28 am »
That's pretty much my tactic as well. Worked a treat in ruins and mines and the like. Although in my most played game I never really built up my alchemy that high because one of the Mage Guild quests, the Cheydinhal one, I left it too long to search for the ring after receiving the quest and it glitched. No matter how many times I went down that well, there was never a ring there. It was a well known bug, but I'd already saved it and I was about 30 hours in at this point. So I just didn't bother with the Mage's Guild. I played another save, that I didn't enjoy as much, for the purpose of doing those quests later. It was seriously gutting that my man Beren Cuthalion could never become a Mage though.

Only reasons I built up my alchemy was for awesome replenish magicka potions so I could constantly run around casting spells over and over again to build up that particular section of magic and feather potions to make me able to carry enormous amounts of weight.

Was a bit funny, anytime I was running anywhere, I was always jumping over and over again whilst casting some spell. 

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2011, 04:46:46 am »
Probably gonna go a male Orc.  My mate plays female in all games, don't see why.  I tried playing a girl in pokemon and it was weird and felt very wrong.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2011, 07:49:29 am »
Probably gonna go a male Orc.  My mate plays female in all games, don't see why.  I tried playing a girl in pokemon and it was weird and felt very wrong.

Surely it was more because of the part in bold than anything else ;D

Furthermore, in Pokemon you can't download mods with sexy textures so you have something to look at while hacking fauna to death.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2011, 08:01:49 am »
i'm gonna stick with the redguard... good all rounder.... my mate always plays with khajiit... but i fucking hate the khajiit, "prey aproaches" "fuck off mate"
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2011, 09:01:49 am »
Stupid Morrowind steam cloud uploaded the cloud save game over my current one. There's two days worth of effort gone up the tubes.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2011, 09:50:17 am »
Never played Elder Scrolls before (Fallout 3 was one of the first RPG's I've ever played) but the more I read up on this, the more I excited I am about it. I read that Oblivion had a different levelling up to Fallout 3 - I liked that you could distribute experience points however you wanted whereas in Oblivion, you got experience points for performing certain actions (is that right?). Which do people prefer?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2011, 10:16:40 am »
Im gonna make mine a Roy Hodgson type character.

He will have the wisened face of an owl, look like hes about 300 years old, and will be a skittering jumpy character that lives in the woods.

His weapon will be the power to bore people to death whenever he opens his grid.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2011, 10:19:48 am »
His weapon will be the power to bore people to death whenever he opens his grid.

Owlchemy :D

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2011, 10:30:11 am »
Never played Elder Scrolls before (Fallout 3 was one of the first RPG's I've ever played) but the more I read up on this, the more I excited I am about it. I read that Oblivion had a different levelling up to Fallout 3 - I liked that you could distribute experience points however you wanted whereas in Oblivion, you got experience points for performing certain actions (is that right?). Which do people prefer?

Elder Scrolls obviously. The way you fight and play makes who you are in the games. I love that.  :)

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2011, 10:36:59 am »
On which note it'd be awesome if they brought back the Morag Tong (or an equivalent), I always seem to be unable to be an evil badass on these games. I can do ambivalent, indeed prefer it (one of the things I really dislike about bioware games is the lack of a decent middle option, or rather that you're always punished by the game mechanics for going that way and the choices are so painfully black and white) but I'm not into murdering the innocent for no reason. Other than the odd save/reload obviously! ;)

Have you played Biowares Dragon Age? "good" things you might do may not end up doing much good at all..and the mean stuff...the opposite.  ;)

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2011, 10:56:48 am »
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2011, 03:53:40 pm »
Have you played Biowares Dragon Age? "good" things you might do may not end up doing much good at all..and the mean stuff...the opposite.  ;)

No, I really don't own many games but really looking forward to this for some reason. It's probably the first non footballing game that I've pre-ordered.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #178 on: August 26, 2011, 05:02:26 pm »

There's talk of Skyrim taking on more of a Fallout style for levelling up, certainly it has perks like Fallout which Oblivion didn't have. You levelled up in Oblivion by using that stat, so the more you used a sword, the better you got with it - but when you levelled up you could upgrade whatever ruling stat you wanted - Strength for attacking, Speed for running and jumping, Intelligence for magic etc. It's meant to be alot simpler this time round, thankfully.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 26, 2011, 05:13:02 pm »
Im gonna make mine a Roy Hodgson type character.

He will have the wisened face of an owl, look like hes about 300 years old, and will be a skittering jumpy character that lives in the woods.

useful character to use at lower levels but once you get to a high level you'll be fucked, he'll just stand there rubbing his face ;)

Offline clacke

• Main Stander
« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2011, 05:01:59 pm »
Some of this has been seen before but this is the full 20 minute press demo from E3 including some new stuff:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/12/skyrim-demo-shows-off-20-minutes-of-gameplay-four-minutes-of-dragon/

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 12, 2011, 06:34:33 pm »
I've not played one of these before but I saw it's by Bethesda so is it like Fallout 3 but set in a medieval fantasy world?
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 12, 2011, 06:41:14 pm »
I've not played one of these before but I saw it's by Bethesda so is it like Fallout 3 but set in a medieval fantasy world?

Pretty much aye. Oblivion, the last one, was one of the best games I've ever played and this looks MUCH better.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 12, 2011, 06:51:31 pm »
Pretty much aye. Oblivion, the last one, was one of the best games I've ever played and this looks MUCH better.
Sounds awesome. If Fallout 4 comes out next year, that'll be 3 years in a row of Bethesda rpg's, they're spoiling us.  :D
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2011, 07:05:22 pm »
Looks amazing, now I need to figure out if I want to get this on the PC or the PS3.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2011, 07:31:41 pm »
Sounds awesome. If Fallout 4 comes out next year, that'll be 3 years in a row of Bethesda rpg's, they're spoiling us.  :D

Think Todd Howard isn't even near making F4 come out in time for 2012.  I reackon late 2013 for that, but Skyrim will keep me entertained for 2 years so that's alright.

Sick of seeing that video now, the more I see it, the more dissapointed I become about the graphics.  If they made the PC the lead platform like they should it would look immense, and could downgrade it for Dx9 for the 360.  Hope it comes with Dx11 support and high video settings for PC.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2011, 08:10:45 pm »
Think Todd Howard isn't even near making F4 come out in time for 2012.  I reackon late 2013 for that, but Skyrim will keep me entertained for 2 years so that's alright.

Sick of seeing that video now, the more I see it, the more dissapointed I become about the graphics.  If they made the PC the lead platform like they should it would look immense, and could downgrade it for Dx9 for the 360.  Hope it comes with Dx11 support and high video settings for PC.
Well you've got to consider from their point of view. The consoles are where most the sales are even more so now because of PC video game piracy being so common, it would be foolish to make a single player exclusive on the PC. Never mind, in a few years the consoles will catch up. Still will look great on Xbox though tbf.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2011, 08:16:12 pm »
Never meant exclusive, more like what Battlefield 3 is doing and creating it for PC but lowering the framerate/graphics for the console ports.  And yeah looks great for the 360, just want an utterly dazzling Elder Scrolls for my new gaming PC..  I guess texture mods will fix that though  :P

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2011, 08:55:47 pm »
Over-rated in my opinion. The choice/sonsequence dynamic is done much better in the two witcher games. Don't get me wrong I really like Bioware and spent a long time on Dragon Age as well, but the writing and choice aspsects get waaaaaaaaay to much praise. Dragon Age is horribly generic and cliched and the choices are painfully obvious - just like in every Bioware game I've played it's saintly good or dastardly evil and no reward whatsoever for a more nuanced, middle path. Witcher actually gives you tough choices where none seem good, where Morrowind, on the other hand, leaves it up to your imagination to make your own morality, which I find vastly more immersive and affecting than the transparent good choice/evil choice dialoge approach.
Dual wielding is almost reason by itself to get horribly excited. It's also almost guaranteed that we'll get dragon riding mods before long which will be utterly awesome.
There's talk of Skyrim taking on more of a Fallout style for levelling up, certainly it has perks like Fallout which Oblivion didn't have. You levelled up in Oblivion by using that stat, so the more you used a sword, the better you got with it - but when you levelled up you could upgrade whatever ruling stat you wanted - Strength for attacking, Speed for running and jumping, Intelligence for magic etc. It's meant to be alot simpler this time round, thankfully.
Yes, I'm really looking forward to this. I always loved the idea behind it anyway - improve by doing works so much better for me than the arbitrary points for levelling thing, and practice by doing, say, a small spell over and over again feels so much more immersive than killing and re-killing some re-spawining mob - if that's even an option. Not to mention that Dragon Age, again, is horribly restrictive in it's class system. I don't want to be just a mage, I want to play, not have to play the game 4 times to get the full experience, as it were. It feels far more restrictive in Dragon Age than their other games for me. The party system also just made me think back to older RPGs with real nostaligia and wish I could just create my own party and play with them instead of some of the dullards Bioware foisted on me - another thing that I think was over-rated in DA:O.

Anyway, it seems like Bethesda have learned from some great mods out there and really made it a pure connection between doing, skilling and levelling - no metagaming or stats to get in the way of that, and if it works as it seems to be intended I think it'll be absolutely amazing, because the fun for me in the RPG genre is far more about the role playing bit than the min-maxing of stats and combinations of skills bit.

Owlchemy :D
:lmao
A Curry eating fat orc.
;D
Morrowind for me, though I really like the world and concept of the Fallout games. I would absolutely love a sci-fi version of The Elder Scrolls with the same approach to levelling, mind, there's a real lack of good sci-fi true RPGs in my opinion.

Though I also think the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series does an incredible job of combining a hell of a lot of awesome RPG elements into a far more F.P.S structure - basically an open world F.P.S where the 'levelling up' type feel is done through equipment instead. The original in particular is not just fun to play but has the best atmosphere of any game I've played and some genuinelly terrifying moments. It's the only game that's ever made me hunt down the book it was based on, and the film based on that (though I've yet to finish them).

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2011, 09:33:41 pm »
Never meant exclusive, more like what Battlefield 3 is doing and creating it for PC but lowering the framerate/graphics for the console ports.  And yeah looks great for the 360, just want an utterly dazzling Elder Scrolls for my new gaming PC..  I guess texture mods will fix that though  :P
I know what you meant but I'm sure if they had time they would've done it. Dice clearly have a great system for maximizing the potential of the PC and the consoles at the same time. I don't know what this game relies more heavily on as in CPU or Graphics card performance, because the Xbox has quite a powerful processor so it can run open world games at good level of performance, although it's GPU is falling behind now. Disk space is also an issue too. Though if I'm honest I don't really care about graphics too much as long as the game is enjoyable.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2011, 10:44:57 am »
Just watched some more of this game, how did I miss it? Looks awesome. Might use the magic a fair bit because that staff in one of the videos looks cool.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2011, 11:56:14 am »
Pre-ordered this at Game and they've already taken payment. Still no replies to emails. Will not buy from them again. Just hope 1) it doesn't now go down in price and 2) they don't charge me twice!
XBL: Flash6289

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2011, 03:03:42 pm »
Looks amazing, now I need to figure out if I want to get this on the PC or the PS3.

If your PC can run modern games well then its a no brainer really. Cheaper, probably mods coming out, and better graphics. I have an Xbox but I never consider buying RPG games for it when I've got a PC
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2011, 03:29:59 pm »
If your PC can run modern games well then its a no brainer really. Cheaper, probably mods coming out, and better graphics. I have an Xbox but I never consider buying RPG games for it when I've got a PC

I already spend close to 12 hours a day sitting in front of my desktop, and I remember spending more when I picked up Fallout 3. So if I get this game on the PC, I would have to break up with my girl and tell the other friends to fuck off. ;)

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2011, 03:54:50 pm »
I already spend close to 12 hours a day sitting in front of my desktop, and I remember spending more when I picked up Fallout 3. So if I get this game on the PC, I would have to break up with my girl and tell the other friends to fuck off. ;)

That sounds like a good idea to me
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2011, 02:19:12 pm »
Some of this has been seen before but this is the full 20 minute press demo from E3 including some new stuff:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/12/skyrim-demo-shows-off-20-minutes-of-gameplay-four-minutes-of-dragon/

That Dragon fight at the end looks epic. Getting more and more excited about this.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2011, 06:23:01 pm »
That Dragon fight at the end looks epic. Getting more and more excited about this.
The combat system in general looks so much more fluid and dynamic - and there's little touches that are really getting me excited like the way he sheathes his weapon after use, or the return of enchanting and introduction of smithing as skills - there's something so satisfying about making your own weapons and enchanting them with what you want, not being limited to what the game allows you to have. The combat actually looks a lot like a mod for Oblivion called deadly reflex - the one thing that is making me want to fire up and mod up Oblivion and give it the real play I never did when it came out.

If it keeps to what the developer has said and manages to recapture some of the sheer originality and atmosphere Morrowind had in such buckets, add some of the brutaility and dynamism of that deadly reflex mod for oblivion, add what looks like a uniquely fun magic system, then combine all that with the huge open world and a streamlined 'be as you do' levelling system (which still allows for interesting development because no doubt you'll be able to, EG, summon rubbish creatures and practise attacking them, or you'll be able to cast weak spells over and over again)...it'll be, hands down, not just the best RPG game ever made but simply the best game in history.

If the fighting is as good as it looks it would already seem to have a kind of brutality and carnage factor to rival many FPS games, none of which (with the possible exception of the stalker games) that I've played have even a fraction of the atmosphere, imagination or depth of any of the previous games in the series, let alone Skyrim.

Oh, and there's dragons. Did I mention that before? ;D

The one thing that does look disappointing for me so far is that they've continued the 'handholding' factor from Oblivion and introduced some of those things from Fallout too - I don't need a big message coming up saying 'Riverwood discovered' - it breaks my immersion, let me find out what the town is called, the people in it will know, and the shops will tell me! Ditto with the big obvious quest markers and 'follow me' lines and arrows. Morrowind can be damn frustrating when you get lost, but the flipside is that the sense of discovery is very real - you find things you don't expect as a matter of routine, which is something genuinely rare in these games. I don't think I was surprised at any point in Dragon Age Origins, for example.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:27:11 pm by hesbighesred »

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2011, 07:42:34 am »

The only game I can compare it to is Fallout 3 but the in that game, it didn't bother me much when it stated you'd discovered a particular location or where you need to go - maybe because it suited that game, having a Pip-boy could conceivably let you know where you are (although I guess that was reason they created the Pip-boy). Seems that in this world, it would be better, like you say to let you find out organically where you are etc (maybe they've put it as an optional).

Not sure about the fighting yet, I usually don't enjoy close combat and in Fallout 3, I made sure that I concentrated on my Small Guns ability and everything was tailored towards that particular skill. Might have to do the same with the bow and arrow but it seems that there will be a lot more close combat than I'm used to. Though I've not played many FPS or RPG games, so it's just something to get used to I guess.

Still not exactly sure how levelling up will work either, I liked Fallout 3's method but the 'be as you do method' is something that's more logical and might be interesting. Unfortunately, I can't compare it to the other Elder Scrolls games so some of the stuff you've said has gone over my head but will be back here in November to no doubt wax lyrical about it!

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2011, 08:12:51 am »
The only game I can compare it to is Fallout 3 but the in that game, it didn't bother me much when it stated you'd discovered a particular location or where you need to go - maybe because it suited that game, having a Pip-boy could conceivably let you know where you are (although I guess that was reason they created the Pip-boy). Seems that in this world, it would be better, like you say to let you find out organically where you are etc (maybe they've put it as an optional).

Bethesda are responding to feedback that it's 'boring' to travel and explore and talk to people but that it's a lot of fun to fight. It's been their general drift since they released Morrowind and aimed their games squarely at the console market. Have had many discussions with Todd and Peter at Bethesda about the direction they've taken with their games since Daggerfall and they're fairly honest about it. It is quite amusing in some ways to hear people talk about how Oblivion was a dumbed down version of Morrowind in some aspects, because Bethesda were really hammered from some quarters with the dumbing down from Daggerfall in Morrowind.

Original Fallout games had Pipboy but didn't have the handholding of all the 'you must go here and this is the direction to go in'. But they're old school RPGs at heart (isometric view, turn based combat etc) and pipboy was really just a cool way to handle how you managed your inventory etc rather than an omniscient device to set you on your way if lost or unwilling to explore.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."