Author Topic: The Liverpool Gig Thread  (Read 166505 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Re: The Liverpool Gig Thread
« Reply #1000 on: June 14, 2021, 02:55:56 pm »
I've actually got tickets to see Cast at Grand Central Hall a fortnight Saturday - all-seater/social-distanced gig.  No idea if it'll still go ahead...!  Guess Thursday will tell.

That Cast gig did indeed go ahead, and I was back at the venue on Saturday night to see Mark Morriss of The Bluetones.  Tiny little audience (they didn't even have the balcony open!), but still very enjoyable to take in some live music.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1001 on: April 19, 2023, 10:49:28 pm »
Was gutted to see that the Arts Club (formerly the Barfly and the Masque) was shut down again in February.

Eurovision aside, I can't help but feel like the live music scene in the city is on its arse a bit. I'm not talking about small venues & pubs where you can find live music of an evening - I mean more in terms of ticketed gigs at venues that you'd expect 100+ people at (which the Arts Club was an important venue for). With the Arts Club closed, we've got the arena, the Olympia, the Academy, and the Mountford Hall at the university...anything I've missed? A quick check over the 30 ticketed gigs I've been to since the start of 2022...5 have been in Liverpool and 25 in Manchester. For a city with such a rich musical history (!), I don't feel like we're in a particularly good place.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/historic-city-centre-music-venue-26187101

No explanation as one of city's best live event spaces shuts down

The Academy Music Group confirmed it is no longer operating the Seel Street venue after all upcoming listings were cancelled or moved

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1002 on: April 19, 2023, 11:05:33 pm »
Despite the above, have booked to see Interpol at the university in the summer - looking forward to that. Haven't seen them before.

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1003 on: April 22, 2023, 11:34:48 am »
Was gutted to see that the Arts Club (formerly the Barfly and the Masque) was shut down again in February.

Eurovision aside, I can't help but feel like the live music scene in the city is on its arse a bit. I'm not talking about small venues & pubs where you can find live music of an evening - I mean more in terms of ticketed gigs at venues that you'd expect 100+ people at (which the Arts Club was an important venue for). With the Arts Club closed, we've got the arena, the Olympia, the Academy, and the Mountford Hall at the university...anything I've missed? A quick check over the 30 ticketed gigs I've been to since the start of 2022...5 have been in Liverpool and 25 in Manchester. For a city with such a rich musical history (!), I don't feel like we're in a particularly good place.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/historic-city-centre-music-venue-26187101

Indeed, it's piss poor.
The light that was the opening of the Arena was quickly smothered when it was realised that it was big, but nowhere near big enough to tempt bands away from the MEN. So why build it to that spec in the first place?
Worse is to come I fear. Manchester has become the only place to be seen, economically and culturally. The only large acts coming here are the emotion driven dinosaur rockers who appreciate the musical legacy of the the city or were friends of the Beatles, or they want to play at Anfield. Those bands are dying off and newer, commercially driven bands just go to Manchester for the capacity.

Eurovision has also been underplayed. We have the main event, but the equally lucrative 'pre-show parties' have been in London ffs.
Manchester would never have allowed this, but it says a lot about how centralised the economy is . . . London just cannot let go.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 11:37:53 am by HomesickRed »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1004 on: April 22, 2023, 02:00:53 pm »
Eurovision aside, I can't help but feel like the live music scene in the city is on its arse a bit.

You been to New Century venue in Manchester yet Jack?

Feel like Liverpool is crying out for an equivalent. Agree that we get left out of a lot of gigs on the circuit, and lack of good venues doesn't help.

Small venues still good, The Quarry, Kazimier Stockroom, Shipping Forecast (does that still host gigs?) Philharmonic Music Room and Phase One.

Tung Auditorium is really nice but all seated.

But mid sized, lacking a bit for sure.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1005 on: April 23, 2023, 02:48:49 am »
You been to New Century venue in Manchester yet Jack?

Saw Idlewild there back in the autumn, but was running late so didn't get the full experience of the venue (the downstairs area, etc). Looked boss, and the listings suggest it's drawing well - probably pinching some of the slightly bigger names from Gorilla.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1006 on: April 27, 2023, 07:01:20 pm »
21st May Neptune Theatre: Mica Millar. Great singer. £20. Laughing.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/P2tHVQjcBlY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/P2tHVQjcBlY</a>

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1007 on: April 29, 2023, 10:32:18 am »

Anyone headed in for Sound City ?
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1008 on: May 3, 2023, 12:12:03 pm »
There’s a NOLA style brass band and parade in Lord St right now, it’s brilliant.

FAT WEDNESDAY YO!!!!

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1009 on: May 4, 2023, 08:08:37 am »
One stop on the underground from James Street - Future Yard in Birkenhead. Independent. 350 capacity. 5 minutes walk across Hamilton Square. Lots of good up and coming bands play there. Decent food and beer.

I have heard it said by promoters that ticket sales for gigs in Manchester are better than Liverpool.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1010 on: May 4, 2023, 09:42:55 am »
Hate to say it but I think Manchester just has more venues and whenever I look for more established artists they seem to fit in Manchester dates but not Liverpool

More reason to support our local artists though. The Smithdown Weekender was brilliant

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1011 on: May 4, 2023, 12:08:18 pm »
Does anybody know how to book tickets for the Friday for the Bootle Music Festival ? The only option I can see is Phase Two . Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band are playing .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1012 on: May 4, 2023, 08:54:45 pm »
21st May Neptune Theatre: Mica Millar. Great singer. £20. Laughing.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/P2tHVQjcBlY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/P2tHVQjcBlY</a>
Support confirmed as Lois Levin and MT Jones.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0CQApY-PxZc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0CQApY-PxZc</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8VGrtjXUFdQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8VGrtjXUFdQ</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qwaIdP6ySvQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qwaIdP6ySvQ</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/J5fmGUkEcRE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/J5fmGUkEcRE</a>

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1013 on: June 10, 2023, 12:04:33 pm »
Well that Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band hit the spot again last night.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1014 on: June 10, 2023, 04:36:20 pm »
Yay

As a La's nut I really like hearing Mick Head doing well

Will have to see his band now at some point!!

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1015 on: June 13, 2023, 09:13:24 am »
Looking forward to James at the Pier Head next month

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1016 on: June 13, 2023, 09:32:30 am »
Gonna check out a few shows by the Classic Double Band at Camp and Furnace

They do two albums, each from a different artist. Eg, Led Zep / The Doors. The La's / Forever Changes

I am curious about the standard of musicianship. Since they also do Steely Dan, Santana, Floyd...!

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1017 on: June 13, 2023, 10:48:30 pm »
Gonna check out a few shows by the Classic Double Band at Camp and Furnace

They do two albums, each from a different artist. Eg, Led Zep / The Doors. The La's / Forever Changes

I am curious about the standard of musicianship. Since they also do Steely Dan, Santana, Floyd...!
Seen them do a few. Top notch band.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1018 on: June 16, 2023, 11:22:46 pm »
The coral too, looks like a quality gig.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1019 on: June 16, 2023, 11:25:45 pm »
Tommy Emmanuel and Mully Tuttle are playing in New Brighton in January, amazing gig - he's an absolute legend of fingerstyle guitar and she's a bluegrass virtuoso who I'm not sure tours outside of the USA that much. Unique opportunity to see them both in the UK.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1020 on: June 16, 2023, 11:43:42 pm »
Seen them do a few. Top notch band.

Eyyyy good stuff

Got a mate coming down from Sheffield for the La's Love night so should be banging

Crazy how there's bands like this pretty much under the radar.

I was in Frank's on Smithdown and the band there over the weekender festival were amazing.

Here's me with originals in me pocket lol
Might be time for me to start going praccy rooms again, get me own stuff down at least

While I do the secret production stuff I hope I can reveal one day!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1021 on: June 17, 2023, 07:36:01 am »
While I do the secret production stuff I hope I can reveal one day!
I think we'd all like to know what you do Tone :)

Online Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1022 on: June 18, 2023, 04:12:23 pm »

Yeah me too.seen them a fair few times now and not one have I walked away disappointed.aleays good energy and fun gigs.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1023 on: June 18, 2023, 07:33:03 pm »
Got a ticket to see Bring Me The Horizon at the arena for early next year. They put on a great show when I saw them at the Manchester Arena a few years ago and everyone seems to have raved about them at Download last weekend.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1024 on: June 24, 2023, 07:33:40 pm »
Anyone going to either of the Jamie Webster gigs at Pier Head next week!

I’m absolutely buzzing for it, going on the Friday myself.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1025 on: June 27, 2023, 11:17:19 am »
Camelphat Saturday for me. Give me all the beaks.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1026 on: July 3, 2023, 09:38:16 am »
Was at the final day of the 'On the Waterfront' festival last night, with Red Rum Club, The Coral, and James topping the bill. A great afternoon & evening out, despite the downpour!

Thought the whole thing was really well organised - easy in (although I did arrive relatively early) & out, loads of toilets, and huge bars selling loads of ponchos too (although I thought this was a big odd alongside plastic cups that had their green credentials printed on them!).

Glad that James got a good gig after the farce of 'Hope & Glory' back in 2017.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1027 on: September 17, 2023, 10:57:45 am »
Bunnymen pretty solid last night.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #1028 on: September 17, 2023, 03:52:57 pm »
One stop on the underground from James Street - Future Yard in Birkenhead. Independent. 350 capacity. 5 minutes walk across Hamilton Square. Lots of good up and coming bands play there. Decent food and beer.

I have heard it said by promoters that ticket sales for gigs in Manchester are better than Liverpool.

great little venue. I saw Courtney Marie Andrews there a couple of weeks ago and it looks like they have live music on most nights of the week so I will definitely be heading back. The bar is decent too.

Offline El_Macca_17

• Legacy Fan
  • Out here on the perimeter there are no stars.
« Reply #1029 on: September 19, 2023, 09:44:41 pm »
Bunnymen pretty solid last night.

Yeah, they were very good - having Adam Peters certainly adds something to the mix. Last night at The Royal Albert Hall was superb, probably the best I’ve seen them play in nearly 35 years.
"The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1030 on: September 26, 2023, 11:24:11 am »
Anyone ever done Asylum at Newsham Park? I'm going this Saturday and can imagine how heavy it is going to be.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1031 on: December 12, 2023, 02:11:45 am »
Not a gig but couldn’t find anywhere else to put this.

Went to see Macbeth tonight at The Depot off Edge Lane.

Absolutely boss - great to see stuff like this put on and being so well attended in the city.

Ralph Fiennes and Indira Varma are brilliant in the main roles, and the supporting cast were also excellent.

A few pointers for anyone going:

Buy the cheapest seats available. It’s a much more intimate venue than it looks. We were virtually on the back row and we had a great view. At about 10% of the cost of the dearest tickets

Car park was a bit manic getting out, although they did have loads of lads on managing the traffic so fair play. Anyway don’t pay to park like we did - no one checks anything anyway, so just drive in.

Drinks are a rip off and the bar queue is mad - take your own in as no one searches you at any point.

Really boss night. Highly recommended.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1032 on: December 16, 2023, 09:30:59 pm »
The Griffo brothers played last night at Hangar 34 . What a great band they are and they set the standard for many bands in early 90's especially Oasis. Where's the demo tapes you grafted you manc twats ! There's a vid on youtube  I think documenting what happened and how they had off Marsh Lanes finest.  There's another one interviewing Noel about his biggest inspirations in music. The fella doing the interview mentions the Real People and Noels body language is very interesting. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 09:35:57 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1033 on: December 17, 2023, 12:57:05 pm »
Do any actual touring acts appear at Camp and Furnace?

I guess this is a broader Liverpool ting though my own tastes come into play. As I've moaned before, for many a band I must trek to (puts up umbrella) Mancland

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1034 on: December 19, 2023, 05:16:49 pm »
Do any actual touring acts appear at Camp and Furnace?

I guess this is a broader Liverpool ting though my own tastes come into play. As I've moaned before, for many a band I must trek to (puts up umbrella) Mancland

Creeper are playing a show there next March. Last time I went there for a gig though was 2014 for Enter Shikari.

Content started hosting gigs in the Autumn as well, saw Masie Peters there a few weeks ago.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1035 on: December 20, 2023, 08:46:54 am »
I went to see Personal Trainer (Amsterdam band, a favourite of Marc Riley on 6 Music) at Future Yard in Birkenhead (one stop from James Street on underground  :) ). They were brilliant live, so much so that I now have tickets to see them at the Electric Ballroom in Camden in April.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1036 on: December 20, 2023, 09:58:05 am »
I haven't had a chance to go, but I've heard a few people rave about the Future Yard as the best live music venue left on Merseyside. Considering how much we value our musical heritage, there really isn't that many decent places for up-and-coming bands to play this side of river.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1037 on: December 20, 2023, 01:38:38 pm »
I haven't had a chance to go, but I've heard a few people rave about the Future Yard as the best live music venue left on Merseyside. Considering how much we value our musical heritage, there really isn't that many decent places for up-and-coming bands to play this side of river.

I've been a couple of times recently, to see Honeyblood and Pillow Queens, but both were indoors so I've not had the full summer/outdoor experience. I too have only heard good things though.

Same. Posted about this near the top of the page, and it's definitely a frustration - I very rarely see touring artists I'm into here in Liverpool.

That being said, the Arts Club is back open again and there are a few decent gigs confirmed already - looking forward to seeing Gruff Rhys in February, and I'm sure The Staves and Jane Weaver will be worth a look.

https://www.arts-club-liverpool.com/

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1038 on: December 20, 2023, 02:36:08 pm »
Eyy glad that's open again, not had a chance to go - looks a bit more like a proper venue lineup. Quizzes and bingo is alright I guess but not if you're keen on new musics

will have to go the Arts Club then the Arts Bar in the same night  ;D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1039 on: December 20, 2023, 04:12:24 pm »

It's good. Both for indoor gigs, and their summer festival type things too. They treat bands and punters alike well. Sound system is great and it's a good size. Eclectic selection of programming too. Thinking of going to a film screening there in Jan.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.