Author Topic: The RAWK Football Coaching Circle  (Read 109753 times)

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Coaching Circle
« Reply #120 on: December 2, 2010, 04:40:02 pm »
Looking on doing my Level 3 soon but Liverpool County FA aren't providing it next year. Any suggestions where would be available?

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: December 2, 2010, 11:35:09 pm »
15 carrots and a boiled hamster.

Bargain!
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #122 on: December 5, 2010, 06:01:00 pm »
God knows how I missed this thread.....an oasis of sanity if ever I saw one.

What age groups mate and what sort of skills are you looking to enhance?
I've got a million games/drills etc so if you can be a bit more specific I might be able to throw some out there.

I work in a secondary school so 11 - 16 year olds, but some of them are very low ability in PE (and football) so any fun drills and games would be useful as I can adapt them for whatever year group.

My two main groups on football at the moment are year 7 high ability and year 8 low ability.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: December 6, 2010, 02:55:34 pm »
Looking on doing my Level 3 soon but Liverpool County FA aren't providing it next year. Any suggestions where would be available?

Bolton Wanderers run them, but according to their website they've been suspended too, due to an FA review of the course.

I'd assume they'll be up and running again early next year.

http://www.bwfccoaching.co.uk/level-3/
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 6, 2010, 04:18:19 pm »
Bolton Wanderers run them, but according to their website they've been suspended too, due to an FA review of the course.

I'd assume they'll be up and running again early next year.

http://www.bwfccoaching.co.uk/level-3/
Cheers for that mate. U don't know why they suspended them do you, or should I say why they are reviewing the Level 3?

Offline Legendary

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.
« Reply #125 on: December 6, 2010, 06:37:51 pm »
Col, you work in CT? Which club?
Every Kick. Every Half. Every Game. Every Year. Liverpool Football Club.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: December 7, 2010, 10:59:06 am »
Cheers for that mate. U don't know why they suspended them do you, or should I say why they are reviewing the Level 3?

No idea to be honest mate. I didn't realise it was under review until last week.

Col, you work in CT? Which club?

Not at the moment. I've got an interview this weekend which should see me head back out that way in the spring, but I'm not sure where abouts yet.

I've previously worked in Trumbull, Woodbridge, Wilton and New Canaan.

Are you based out that way?

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 7, 2010, 04:23:54 pm »

I work in a secondary school so 11 - 16 year olds, but some of them are very low ability in PE (and football) so any fun drills and games would be useful as I can adapt them for whatever year group.

My two main groups on football at the moment are year 7 high ability and year 8 low ability.

Only just spotted this mate.
I'll dig some out for you later.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline scousepower

• Legacy Fan
  • A Child of The Rafalution
« Reply #128 on: December 7, 2010, 05:09:28 pm »
Need to send in my applications for uni. Wondering if anyone knew which would be the best route to go for a career in coaching? cheers!
'Hi Paul im from The S*n' 'Im from the Earth, now fuck off'

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: December 7, 2010, 09:14:40 pm »
Need to send in my applications for uni. Wondering if anyone knew which would be the best route to go for a career in coaching? cheers!
I'd advise you to try and obtain as many or as skilled Governing Body Coaching awards as possible. Then look to do some voluntary work for a professional outfit. Also important u drive.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: December 7, 2010, 10:45:06 pm »

What experience do you have to date mate?

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline scousepower

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 7, 2010, 11:52:25 pm »
What experience do you have to date mate?

just the F.A level 1 and a couple leadership awards from taking primary school kid's P.E classes in high school aswell as that I'm in my last year of a national diploma in sport which involves some coaching and organising things like 5-a-side tournaments

I'm also trying to get some volunteering work sorted soon (Any suggestions for places on Wirral/Merseyside over crimbo that I could volunteer at?) and have work experience at a semi-pro club for january sorted.

Cheers

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 8, 2010, 12:38:57 am »
just the F.A level 1 and a couple leadership awards from taking primary school kid's P.E classes in high school aswell as that I'm in my last year of a national diploma in sport which involves some coaching and organising things like 5-a-side tournaments

I'm also trying to get some volunteering work sorted soon (Any suggestions for places on Wirral/Merseyside over crimbo that I could volunteer at?) and have work experience at a semi-pro club for january sorted.

Cheers

Get your level 2 as quickly as possible as that will enable to organise your sessions more effectively.
It will enable you to identify and tailor the sessions to meet the needs of the players, which in turn will help you progress the sessions accordingly.

Do as much coaching ANYWHERE and with EVERY age group you can, especially when you have your level 2. The coaching and planning you have to do to get it will stand you in good stead.
It would also help if you know experienced coaches who will let you sit in on their sessions and pick their brains.

The semi-pro work experience will be an eye opener and a great learning experience-both good and bad.
I'd take a look on the F.A and County F.A web sites for coaching positions and there's nothing wrong with contacting as many clubs as possible to see if they need any assistant coaches.

Don't be too proud to be an assistant.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2010, 12:40:34 am by shanklyboy »

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Stanfo

• Sleeping with the Enemy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: December 8, 2010, 07:23:02 am »
Get your level 2 as quickly as possible as that will enable to organise your sessions more effectively.
It will enable you to identify and tailor the sessions to meet the needs of the players, which in turn will help you progress the sessions accordingly.

Do as much coaching ANYWHERE and with EVERY age group you can, especially when you have your level 2. The coaching and planning you have to do to get it will stand you in good stead.
It would also help if you know experienced coaches who will let you sit in on their sessions and pick their brains.

The semi-pro work experience will be an eye opener and a great learning experience-both good and bad.
I'd take a look on the F.A and County F.A web sites for coaching positions and there's nothing wrong with contacting as many clubs as possible to see if they need any assistant coaches.

Don't be too proud to be an assistant.

Great advice. Getting the experience is definately the way forward in tandem with as many qualifications as possible. There was a youngish lad at Liverpool who quite frankly lots of people used to laugh at because he was so keen and did lots of voluntary stuff, however he got a job there quite soon after.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: December 8, 2010, 11:30:56 am »
Great advice. Getting the experience is definately the way forward in tandem with as many qualifications as possible. There was a youngish lad at Liverpool who quite frankly lots of people used to laugh at because he was so keen and did lots of voluntary stuff, however he got a job there quite soon after.

Spot on mate.
I remember a certain Mike McParland doing lots of work as a community coach....look at him now!

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: December 8, 2010, 03:35:24 pm »
Being an assistant to someone who's been in the game a few years will bring you on leaps and bounds.

It allows you the opportunity to get involved and coach, without the pressure of having to do all the organisational stuff, reporting to the boss / parents etc.

You'll likely learn more assisting a good coach for a year than you will do working on your own for 3.

Offline scousepower

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 8, 2010, 08:32:43 pm »
Cheers for all that fellas! :D

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 3, 2011, 12:04:16 am »
Right let me begin. I've been looking through this forum, which I enjoyed, but noticed their are no educational links.

What I'm looking for is books, websites, videos etc that help in understanding and evolving the 'beautiful' game.

Does anyone have any sources that would be useful?

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 3, 2011, 12:09:38 am »
Thought I would join this thread... I am a coach for the local under 9 footy team. My son plays in it, and we are doing very well. We train twice a week, both for 1½hr, and we encourage the boys to play with the ball for 15 mins a day.
We keep training fun, no sliding tackles, no high or long balls. We encourage short passing and dribbling. Its working very well.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 3, 2011, 03:17:22 pm »
Thought I would join this thread... I am a coach for the local under 9 footy team. My son plays in it, and we are doing very well. We train twice a week, both for 1½hr, and we encourage the boys to play with the ball for 15 mins a day.
We keep training fun, no sliding tackles, no high or long balls. We encourage short passing and dribbling. Its working very well.

I like that approach, it's similar to the way I've run development squads in the past. What I would say, though, is not to discourage high / long passes completely, but to educate that the success percentage will be much lower. Sometimes the ball in behind is the right pass to make, whether it looks pretty or not, and a switch of play from a centre mid in behind the opposing fullback to an advancing winger is probably the second most dangerous pass that can be played. Some players will have an eye for those balls, and the trick is to teach them when and where to play them as opposed to discouraging them completely.

There's a subtle difference between a long pass and a long ball - if the accuracy is there, it's a great tool to have.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 3, 2011, 05:10:33 pm »
I like that approach, it's similar to the way I've run development squads in the past. What I would say, though, is not to discourage high / long passes completely, but to educate that the success percentage will be much lower. Sometimes the ball in behind is the right pass to make, whether it looks pretty or not, and a switch of play from a centre mid in behind the opposing fullback to an advancing winger is probably the second most dangerous pass that can be played. Some players will have an eye for those balls, and the trick is to teach them when and where to play them as opposed to discouraging them completely.

There's a subtle difference between a long pass and a long ball - if the accuracy is there, it's a great tool to have.

I agree with you there. It's about education and a player understanding what pass to play and when. Also encouragement is important. I watch amateur football and see young players encouraged to not dribble. Again it's identifying the opportunity to dribble, if not successful, you hear amateur coaches scream 'SHOULDA PASSED LAD!' This gets me upset. Also the competitiveness in developing youth players. I've spoken to various kids at Academies and they play competitively as often as they train.
I remember hearing Trevor Brooking discussing this, stating that travel arrangements need to be changed. Teams are travelling to far to play games when they could train. I believe this was after McClaren was sacked and the FA said they will refurbish grass roots football. I'm really eager to continue my coach development but held up by and 'FA Review'. I've hear plenty of negative whispers of how poor coaching is in this country, well until the FA sort its self out then can't see this improving. Sorry about the rant but I've emailed the FA Education sector regarding the suspended UEFA B and what advice do they have as they are not providing it.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 3, 2011, 05:35:12 pm »
I agree with you there. It's about education and a player understanding what pass to play and when. Also encouragement is important. I watch amateur football and see young players encouraged to not dribble. Again it's identifying the opportunity to dribble, if not successful, you hear amateur coaches scream 'SHOULDA PASSED LAD!' This gets me upset. Also the competitiveness in developing youth players. I've spoken to various kids at Academies and they play competitively as often as they train.
I remember hearing Trevor Brooking discussing this, stating that travel arrangements need to be changed. Teams are travelling to far to play games when they could train. I believe this was after McClaren was sacked and the FA said they will refurbish grass roots football. I'm really eager to continue my coach development but held up by and 'FA Review'. I've hear plenty of negative whispers of how poor coaching is in this country, well until the FA sort its self out then can't see this improving. Sorry about the rant but I've emailed the FA Education sector regarding the suspended UEFA B and what advice do they have as they are not providing it.

The coaching system in England isn't up to scratch, which is ironic really considering people travel from all corners of the world to be educated here. On my B licence course alone, we had guys who'd travelled from Japan, India and Holland to take the course, as well as English lads who'd travelled back from America and Qatar to take it too.

With regards to the course being suspended, I'd like to know what's going to happen with it, as I'd like to finish it sometime before I head abroad again in spring.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 3, 2011, 05:40:34 pm »
The coaching system in England isn't up to scratch, which is ironic really considering people travel from all corners of the world to be educated here. On my B licence course alone, we had guys who'd travelled from Japan, India and Holland to take the course, as well as English lads who'd travelled back from America and Qatar to take it too.

With regards to the course being suspended, I'd like to know what's going to happen with it, as I'd like to finish it sometime before I head abroad again in spring.
Well when I hear something I'll let you know mate.

I spoke to one coach and he heard it had something to do with the students. He explained that when being assessed the student coaches were concentrating more on the technical aspect than the phases of play, because the other participants were lacking in the technical department, so had to coach this when seeing someone who made a mistake instead of when the phases of play needed coaching. Hope that makes sense :)

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 3, 2011, 07:26:03 pm »
Well when I hear something I'll let you know mate.

I spoke to one coach and he heard it had something to do with the students. He explained that when being assessed the student coaches were concentrating more on the technical aspect than the phases of play, because the other participants were lacking in the technical department, so had to coach this when seeing someone who made a mistake instead of when the phases of play needed coaching. Hope that makes sense :)

It does make sense. You get told to ignore technical errors as much as possible, but sometimes you have to pick up on them. If, for instance, you're working on an attacking phase and someone misses the target from 6 yards, you have to work on it even if it's not the intended focus of the session.

Training groups are vast and varied - ours spanned the scale from a Premiership goalkeeper to a bloke in his 40s who didn't look like he'd kicked a ball in 20 years, if at all, with pretty much everything else thrown in as well.

Not enough emphasis is put on the need to be physically able to complete the course, in my opinion - the younger lads were having to play in every single session, every single day because some of the older blokes just weren't up to it. This might sound ideal, and it is fun, but 8 hours of solid football for two or 3 days running is no good for anyone, plus you don't get the chance to sit back and observe sessions which is one of the better ways to learn. Blisters on day 2 didn't help, either!

With any luck, the FA will look at the possibility of using outside groups of players (maybe centre of excellence / college teams, local semi-pro teams) during the assessment days to try and ensure a decent level of fitness and technical ability across the group.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 3, 2011, 07:50:44 pm »
It does make sense. You get told to ignore technical errors as much as possible, but sometimes you have to pick up on them. If, for instance, you're working on an attacking phase and someone misses the target from 6 yards, you have to work on it even if it's not the intended focus of the session.

Training groups are vast and varied - ours spanned the scale from a Premiership goalkeeper to a bloke in his 40s who didn't look like he'd kicked a ball in 20 years, if at all, with pretty much everything else thrown in as well.

Not enough emphasis is put on the need to be physically able to complete the course, in my opinion - the younger lads were having to play in every single session, every single day because some of the older blokes just weren't up to it. This might sound ideal, and it is fun, but 8 hours of solid football for two or 3 days running is no good for anyone, plus you don't get the chance to sit back and observe sessions which is one of the better ways to learn. Blisters on day 2 didn't help, either!

With any luck, the FA will look at the possibility of using outside groups of players (maybe centre of excellence / college teams, local semi-pro teams) during the assessment days to try and ensure a decent level of fitness and technical ability across the group.

I can imagine the intensity Col. When I completed my Level 2 that was the same situation. Ours was over 6 days though usually 9-4. First day we sat out a fair bit but the numbers lowered and by the end of it their was no chance to rest at all. By the end of the training week I had to buy a new pair of Astros. The previous ones torn all the way round. The assessments were quite similar as well. We'll have to wait and see what the FA produce. I'm hoping it's soon.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 3, 2011, 08:01:56 pm »
I can imagine the intensity Col. When I completed my Level 2 that was the same situation. Ours was over 6 days though usually 9-4. First day we sat out a fair bit but the numbers lowered and by the end of it their was no chance to rest at all. By the end of the training week I had to buy a new pair of Astros. The previous ones torn all the way round. The assessments were quite similar as well. We'll have to wait and see what the FA produce. I'm hoping it's soon.

Yeah, level 2 can be tough physically, but I've honestly never been as tired as at the end of the intensive week on the B licence. When you've got academy lads of 19 / 20 years old completely burnt out after three days of it, you know it's tough going!

It was, however, an extremely big learning curve and very good fun.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 3, 2011, 08:06:55 pm »
Yeah, level 2 can be tough physically, but I've honestly never been as tired as at the end of the intensive week on the B licence. When you've got academy lads of 19 / 20 years old completely burnt out after three days of it, you know it's tough going!

It was, however, an extremely big learning curve and very good fun.
I look forward for the chance from the FA to take part. I'm sure I'll smash them youngings! Where did you do your Level 3? I wonder when the last classes were.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 3, 2011, 08:36:26 pm »
I look forward for the chance from the FA to take part. I'm sure I'll smash them youngings! Where did you do your Level 3? I wonder when the last classes were.

I did the learning residentially at Keele Uni in August '09, but haven't done my final assessment yet. Or completed my portfolio for that matter. I'm hoping I'll have the chance to sit my assessment in February at some point, but I kinda need them to start running the course again for that to happen!

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 3, 2011, 08:40:04 pm »
 ;D Well at least your lucky enough to have been granted the chance of being taught the Level 3  :butt

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 3, 2011, 08:51:54 pm »
;D Well at least your lucky enough to have been granted the chance of being taught the Level 3  :butt

Haha I guess so... even if there may be no way of seeing if any of it sunk in!

Offline mcg-ie

• Main Stander
« Reply #150 on: January 4, 2011, 08:05:58 am »

Having attended courses in 3 different countries now, it amazes me that coaching organizations still use the coaches as players during the sessions. It leads to more non-topic breakdowns, active players miss out on coaching points from the instructors to the sidelines, and those who are older or have injuries (from the days when they weren't treated properly) are at a distinct bias disadvantage. When they teach students to be classroom teachers, they don't have them sit in the desks with the students. Seems to me a lot of the 100's and 1000's of pounds/euros/dollars they take in from candidates would be better spent paying for a young team to come in and be the guinea pigs for the week?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 4, 2011, 08:09:36 am »
Been thinking about going in for coaching badges sometime soon as I'm doing nothing with my life but have an absoloute passion for football in all aspects of it. Not just the playing side, the tactical side aswell.

Haven't got a clue were to start though and don't know how to go about applying for the first course (and the cost if there is one.)

Anyone give me some advice to get me on the right track?

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #152 on: January 4, 2011, 09:33:27 am »
Hi,

I just wanted to ask how big a jump is it from Level 1 to Level 2.

Going on the course breakdown, it seems to be huge.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 4, 2011, 12:15:55 pm »
Been thinking about going in for coaching badges sometime soon as I'm doing nothing with my life but have an absoloute passion for football in all aspects of it. Not just the playing side, the tactical side aswell.

Haven't got a clue were to start though and don't know how to go about applying for the first course (and the cost if there is one.)

Right J-Mc. I've been fortunate in knowing what I wanted to do at a young age. The best route through coaching I believe is obtaining the National Governing Body Awards. For example in football you will hear colleges presenting the opportunity for Diplomas in coaching. Unfortunately employers prefer NGB Awards which students doing these courses aren't told. The best way to get your first badge is usually from your Local Coutny FA. My one is the Liverpool County FA. Go on the website. Click on Development. Then down the left hand side there will be a phrase 'course bookings'. Click on that. The cost I believe could be upto £150 for the Level 1. Obtain this and start doing some voluntary work. Col mentions in other posts it's more useful being assistant to a good coach, because you pick up more tips. This is what I agree with. Hope this helps, anything else you need to know just ask  :wave

Hi,

I just wanted to ask how big a jump is it from Level 1 to Level 2.

Going on the course breakdown, it seems to be huge.

Personaly mate I believe it's a huge jump. However like everything else if you put the effort in you will pass. I'd advise to get in contact with a Youth Amateur Team and put what you have learnt into practice. Watch the DVD and make session plans. You will be fine if you put the effort in. Good luck.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #154 on: January 4, 2011, 12:48:20 pm »

Same here mate, im 20 now and really need to get my arse into gear. It starts now.

Question, once youve done the 1, 2 and 3 I hear its more about who you know than what you know. Anybody confirm/deny this.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 4, 2011, 01:02:32 pm »

Of course not. We do encourage the 'long pass', but only when its possible to do so when all other options are exhausted. In our U9's... I'd say there are only 2 players out of the 24 who can make such effective passes. So generally the players shy away from doing it.
We have a problem at the moment where I have 4 potentially good players, and all they want to do is head down, run down the wing, and at a tight angle, wallop it on goal! I have tried loads of times to teach them to hold the ball up once they have made the run, and open the play to oncomming players behind them. But when the competitive game starts, they ignore all we have learnt and revert to the same crap. Does my head in.
I must say though, the general play of our team is very good, but we should always improve.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 4, 2011, 01:04:32 pm »
Same here mate, im 20 now and really need to get my arse into gear. It starts now.

Question, once youve done the 1, 2 and 3 I hear its more about who you know than what you know. Anybody confirm/deny this.
Yes your sort of right. However it depends how competent you are and your ambitions. It's good getting all the badges but if you don't have the personality you won't get far or won't progress. If your going to start your best starting now mate. Takes about 3 weeks to get your Level 1. 5 months to get your level 2. Then 7 months to get your Level 3. Between each badge you are advised to take 6-12 months putting your knowledge into practice, which I believe is correct.

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 4, 2011, 01:05:57 pm »
Where do you buy your teams kit from?

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 4, 2011, 01:11:01 pm »
It might seem like a silly question, but for people who want to go down the coaching path... do you like children?

Do you like them enough to work with them on a full-time basis?

Because that's how you'll get started. If you've not got the confidence, or willing to act like a prat and chase 5 year olds round pretending to be a pirate or Lightning McQueen, then it's unlikely you'll make it to the stage where you're coaching good players for a living.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #159 on: January 4, 2011, 05:11:48 pm »
It might seem like a silly question, but for people who want to go down the coaching path... do you like children?

Do you like them enough to work with them on a full-time basis?

Because that's how you'll get started. If you've not got the confidence, or willing to act like a prat and chase 5 year olds round pretending to be a pirate or Lightning McQueen, then it's unlikely you'll make it to the stage where you're coaching good players for a living.

And the important accompanying Corollary: Do you have the boundless patience necessary to deal with the parents of said children?  Crucial consideration...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...