Author Topic: Italia 90  (Read 13496 times)

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: World Cup 90
« Reply #120 on: June 8, 2020, 02:57:49 pm »
This was my 4th World cup and for whatever reason I actually wanted England to win back then. I was 22 and loving life. Missed the Cameroon v Argies opener as we got kicked out of a pub near Alton Towers.

Looking back a lot of the games were drab, with not many goals. I remember it as the second world cup in a row that England got a lot better as soon as the Manc loving medias very own Captain Marvel - Bryan Robson went home injured.
Germanys penalties in the semi were so good. I remember Shilton saying he had decided before the game that he would wait till they kicked it before he was going to move. He went the right way for every one i think but was never going to save them.

I seem to remember a lot of big money moves after the tournament ended. People like Skuhravy going for lot of money back then.
In many ways, despite the lack of goals, it was an iconic time for a certain generation. I reckon most people now remember it for Nessun Dorma as much as for the football.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #121 on: June 8, 2020, 02:59:41 pm »
Was a bit before my time, but I have managed to watch several games over the years. One thing I get when watching past world cup games, besides the overall quality being much higher, is the feeling of importance. It really did seem like international football was the pinnacle of football back then, and that it meant something. I haven't felt that way watching a world cup game since 98. International football just seems so hollow and the quality so shit now a days. I doubt many people outside of France and Croatia will remember anything about the last world cup for example.   

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #122 on: June 8, 2020, 03:06:29 pm »

Voller gobbing on Rijkaard.

Eamon Dunphy's analysis of that on Irish telly is still the best. You're not getting this from Trevor Brooking and Jimmy Hill   :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2yUdszsmfEw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2yUdszsmfEw</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #123 on: June 8, 2020, 03:16:04 pm »
Colombia v Cameroon was ace. The colourful kits, Higuuta getting tackled by Roger Milla.

While I remember moments I was of the age where is be in and out of the garden myself so can’t say I say through loads of games. A few of the big countries were really underwhelming like Brazil, Netherlands (compared to their Euro 88 exploits), even Argentina. Weren’t Yugoslavia quite decent? Think the Argies beat them on penalties in the Quarters.

What happened to Spain at this tournament? Think they must have gone out early? And France didn’t even qualify. Unthinkable now.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #124 on: June 8, 2020, 03:35:52 pm »
Colombia v Cameroon was ace. The colourful kits, Higuuta getting tackled by Roger Milla.

While I remember moments I was of the age where is be in and out of the garden myself so can’t say I say through loads of games. A few of the big countries were really underwhelming like Brazil, Netherlands (compared to their Euro 88 exploits), even Argentina. Weren’t Yugoslavia quite decent? Think the Argies beat them on penalties in the Quarters.

What happened to Spain at this tournament? Think they must have gone out early? And France didn’t even qualify. Unthinkable now.
Yugoslavia beat Spain in the 2nd round. They were ridiculously talented, led by Dragan Stojkovic and Robert Prosinecki.  They were basically the team that won the 1987 U20 World Cup - they also had  Pancev, Savicevic, Davor Suker, Zonimir Boban and Alan Boksic in the squad.

Spain up until the 2000's could be relied on to always get out of the group and always go out by the quarter finals. Kinda mad to remember France not qualifying (and also for 1994).
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: June 8, 2020, 03:38:11 pm »
Same as the last Euros (24 in groups, 16 qualify).  Platini did a lot of terrible things as UEFA chief, but that's by far the worst of them.
Agreed 24 team format Euros is terrible, too many teams in the tournament decreasing it's overall quality. 16 was perfect as we would get some boss groups like in Euro 2012 when Italy, Spain and Croatia were in the same group, Euro 2004 when the Czech, Holland and Germany were in the same group or in Euro 2008 when Italy, France and Holland were in the same group. Also letting in the 3rd place teams in a group go through is absolutely nonsense imo.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 8, 2020, 03:38:56 pm »

Spain lost to Yugoslavia in the last 16, with Stojkovic looking like a future world star instead of the narky twat he became in future tournaments.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #127 on: June 8, 2020, 04:29:48 pm »
Agree with pretty much everyone that overall the quality was poor, but if ever there was proof that you don’t need quality football to have a great tournament ... what you need is tension and drama and Italia 90 had more than maybe any other (that didn’t take place in Mexico).

Someone mentioned the Yugoslav team - I don’t remember seeing much of them at all?  There’s always an ‘other side of the draw’ which doesn’t get much focus, so I assume they were always as far away from England as possible.  I do remember Stojkovic having some outrageous drag-back on the BBC Goal Of The Tournament thing, but got beaten by David Platt.

Italia 90 also features Scotland’s last win at a World Cup :(  I don’t remember the South Korea v Uruguay diddle though, they way I recall it it was Jim Leighton spilling one to Muller that broke my heart.  Not a great month for Leighton on reflection.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #128 on: June 8, 2020, 05:07:28 pm »
Yugoslavia must have been in a group with Germany because that’s who Matthaus scored that great goal against in the group stages. They must have qualified in second (maybe third). You’re right though, I don’t recall much about that group. Main focus here was on England, Scotland and Ireland plus Argentina’s group because them losing to Cameroon caught the imagination so much.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #129 on: June 8, 2020, 05:55:59 pm »
I think Italia 90 was a poor world cup, most teams playing quite defensive football, Argentina somehow scrapping through to the final, with only 2 wins in regulation play, group F with England, Ireland, The Netherlands & Egypt  played like a group of death, only one match had a win/loss the rest all draws, a lot of the matches low scoring typified by group F. The Italia 90 final was hilarious for the acting, that's were Klinsmann got his reputation for diving from.
#Sausages

Online Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 8, 2020, 07:42:58 pm »
I reckon most people now remember it for Nessun Dorma as much as for the football.

That along with Freddie Mercury's 'Barcelona' for the Barcelona Olympics, are the quintessential sporting event songs.

People will mention 3 Lions, and rightly so, but that wasn't an official tune.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #131 on: June 8, 2020, 07:53:33 pm »
Schillaci!
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #132 on: June 8, 2020, 07:58:23 pm »
That along with Freddie Mercury's 'Barcelona' for the Barcelona Olympics, are the quintessential sporting event songs.

Three Lions was the official song as put together by the FA wasn’t it?

And Nessun Dorma was just used as the BBC theme tune rather than anything official from FIFA.

Addressing the issues that really matter here. :D

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #133 on: June 8, 2020, 08:35:48 pm »

Yep the official Euro 96 song by Simply Red & was awful, the 3 Lions song was far better, mostly written by Ian Broudie too
#Sausages

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 9, 2020, 02:48:06 pm »
Three Lions was the official song as put together by the FA wasn’t it?

And Nessun Dorma was just used as the BBC theme tune rather than anything official from FIFA.

Addressing the issues that really matter here. :D

The BBC pretty much nailed their theme tunes and titles for the World Cups in the 90s I thought.  Nessun Dorma for Italia 90 was perfect.  They went with some West Side Story thing for USA 94 which just seemed to fit, and even used the Dallas theme tune and mocked up titles for intro to the 1/4 final between Brazil and Netherlands in Dallas.

Not sure what the tune for 98 was, but again it just seemed right.

They've been shite since, mind.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #135 on: June 9, 2020, 03:18:18 pm »
I think Italia 90 was a poor world cup, most teams playing quite defensive football

It was pretty poor quality.

However, it was probably the last World Cup where you basically knew little about the players for most countries. Even for the big nations you hardly saw the players play unless they played for a club side in Europe and you were drawn against them or they played for a European nation and you saw them at the Euros. Some people saw some European football on S4C's Scorgio but you are talking a handful of people who had access to this.

It meant there was huge intrigue in seeing some players. Players you had heard of but had hardly ever seen play. That was hugely exciting as a kid. So despite the poor football it was just great to get to see the likes of Gullit, van Basten, Matthaus, Maradona, Baggio, Romario in live games. I think the fact that England reached the semi finals meant it captured the country's interest too.

By the time the '94 World Cup came around, Channel 4 were showing Serie A games regularly and given the high concentration of elite players in that league you basically saw some of them play every week for the preceding 2 years.

The one biggest differences with World Cups from about 2002 onwards and before is familiarity with the players. From a personal experience I like the fact we can watch football across European leagues and the European competitions on a regular basis. However, the knock on effect has been the Euro's and World Cup have lost some of the mystique they had previously. Really exciting to be watching the world stars or emerging stars, when you'd been starved of seeing them for the previous 2-4 years.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #136 on: June 9, 2020, 03:24:29 pm »
The BBC pretty much nailed their theme tunes and titles for the World Cups in the 90s I thought.  Nessun Dorma for Italia 90 was perfect.  They went with some West Side Story thing for USA 94 which just seemed to fit, and even used the Dallas theme tune and mocked up titles for intro to the 1/4 final between Brazil and Netherlands in Dallas.

Not sure what the tune for 98 was, but again it just seemed right.

They've been shite since, mind.

Can’t remember the French one either but it was a classical piece with images of footballers in stained glass windows wasn’t it? The hunk they felt the pressure for it to become ‘a thing’. Although for 2002 I think they had players as Manga style cartoons that worked quite well, couldn’t tell you the music though!

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2020, 10:34:44 pm »
Schillaci on BBC One right is class :D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2020, 11:09:25 pm »
From roughly 15 years ago...

the closest thing i can come up with that fits the true spirit of this thread would be a place called the Hat and Feathers, in Cambridge.

the magic of the internet enables precision, this place:

i was studying at Cambridge for the Summer, and went to this place to watch England/Cameroon in 1990.

Climbed onto a table when Ekeke scored that magnificent second goal and shouted:

"Cameroon!"

why ask why?

naturally, i was asked to continue my match evaluation outside by a few of the locals, along with several of my fellow plastered pond traversers, precisely where the car is parked in the above photo.

interesting first night in Cambridge.

never went back to the Hat and Feathers, though... :P
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2020, 01:08:42 pm »
I'm actually born in '90 so the only things I've seen from this WC are England's run, Cameroon v Argentina and the spitting in Netherlands/W Germany. I've got this on now because of this thread. I had no idea there was Argentina v Brazil in a KO game, must've been massively hyped.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PW9oO3pFR78&amp;t" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PW9oO3pFR78&amp;t</a>

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2020, 08:11:45 pm »
I split from a girl I was engaged to during the World Cup. 25th June 1990 to be exact and I was absolutely devastated. We’d had a massive row before the England v Holland game as she’d arranged a couples night out and I wanted to stay in and watch the football. I spent the majority of the tournament in a state of depression after I’d been binned. I was absolutely heartbroken and most of the later stages just passed me by in a haze.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2020, 08:18:03 pm »
I'm actually born in '90 so the only things I've seen from this WC are England's run, Cameroon v Argentina and the spitting in Netherlands/W Germany. I've got this on now because of this thread. I had no idea there was Argentina v Brazil in a KO game, must've been massively hyped.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PW9oO3pFR78&amp;t" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PW9oO3pFR78&amp;t</a>

It was a dreadful game I think. One moment of magic from Maradona our Caniggia away to score. Is that the last time they’ve met at the World Cup? In fact had they met before that? Can’t think of other encounters but there must have been somewhere along the line.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2020, 08:23:20 pm »
It was a dreadful game I think. One moment of magic from Maradona our Caniggia away to score. Is that the last time they’ve met at the World Cup? In fact had they met before that? Can’t think of other encounters but there must have been somewhere along the line.

They played each other in 1982. It was a weird second round stage, with groups of 3. Brazil, Argentina and Italy. I think Maradona got sent off against Brazil

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2020, 09:08:18 pm »
My favourite World Cup theme song came from this competition

“To be number one”

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2020, 01:25:41 pm »
That Italy v Austria first game for the hosts, Italy absolutely battered them in first half, no luck.

Then on comes Schillaci in the 75th minute.... 78th minute..goal!!

... and he then has his own amazing journey in the tournament
pretty sure my dad was absolutely laying I to Andrea carnevale. He missed everything. He ws brought off for toto

Was the tournament that got me and a bunch of Irish kids into world cup. Not a great world cup In Terms.of entertainment but one full of many great memories

Ireland's win over Romania and the whole country just stopped.

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2020, 02:15:03 pm »
pretty sure my dad was absolutely laying I to Andrea carnevale. He missed everything. He ws brought off for toto
Haha yes, I remember the same thing.  For some reason I felt compelled to play the 13-year-old contrarian and defend him: “at least he’s getting into great positions”.  Thanks Toto, sheesh.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2020, 03:41:20 pm »
Haha yes, I remember the same thing.  For some reason I felt compelled to play the 13-year-old contrarian and defend him: “at least he’s getting into great positions”.  Thanks Toto, sheesh.
always in my head my dad shouting "give it up carnevale, you're stuffed for jaysis sake"
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Re: Italia 90
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2021, 05:05:43 pm »
Just wanted to say kudos and thanks to sinnermichael for creating many of these quality World Cup threads...

Spain 1982, Mexico 1986, Italy 1990, USA 1994, France 1998, Japan/South Korea 2002, and Germany 2006. Also South Africa 2010, and a Brazil 2014 thread too...

...are all well worth a good look through. :thumbup

As are these Italia '90 threads...

BobPaisley3's 'World Cup 90' thread - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345428.0
Fitzy's 'World Cup 90 - 25 years on' thread - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=321703.msg13916444
SMD's 'Italian football in the 90s' thread - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=285357.0

FIFA have also made every World Cup match played between 1970-2018 available to watch for free, here - www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/archive?filters=3oN3YY1ihoEBFyDMZr5k9V

A few videos and info on Italia 90...

FIFA's 'Archive Site' for the 1990 World Cup: www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/italy1990

Wikipedia Page for the 1990 World Cup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_FIFA_World_Cup

FIFA - official youtube channel's '1990 World Cup Playlist': www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCGIzmTE4d0jOPCXXYf5oO2teGU6G985g

www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/archive - and then select 'Archive', then 'World Cup', then which World Cup you'd like to see video footage of... (highlights or full match replays etc)

'World Cup 1990 in Italy. All Goals HD.':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9rJwRzPPNnw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9rJwRzPPNnw</a>

'Italia 90 - All goals from World Cup 1990 in Italy':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hqnuD-LgoYE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hqnuD-LgoYE</a>

'Top 10 Goals | 1990 FIFA World Cup':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/L12Ntmgh54Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/L12Ntmgh54Q</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/L12Ntmgh54Q

'Top 10 Saves | 1990 FIFA World Cup':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/C8ZrnwWogns" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/C8ZrnwWogns</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/C8ZrnwWogns

'The Official Film of the 1990 World Cup':-

https://www.facebook.com/103039391382854/videos/343572150099403 & www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/watch/movie/26E16p3XeAeSWtvkmCiyho

'Italia 1990 | A History Of The World Cup':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p7-mHhyIe-o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p7-mHhyIe-o</a>

'BBC Opening Theme Italia 90 World Cup 1990':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/O2sVvO9vDu0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/O2sVvO9vDu0</a>

'ITV World Cup '90 Opening Titles':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5eFpIdXBShY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5eFpIdXBShY</a>

'SAINT AND GREAVSIE - WORLD CUP 1990 - 16TH JUNE - TV FOOTBALL PROGRAMME':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CbTujnUvJJs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CbTujnUvJJs</a>

'BBC Review of World Cup Italia '90':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PW9oO3pFR78" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PW9oO3pFR78</a>

'Italia 1990 - World Cup BBC end credits' (with Des):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sffX9Wrbw9w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sffX9Wrbw9w</a>

'ITV Review of Italia '90 World Cup':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YoHrYVW4dd8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YoHrYVW4dd8</a>

'The Three Tenors - Nessun Dorma to choir - Rome 7/7/1990':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nAZa2do8dYI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nAZa2do8dYI</a>

'New Order - World In Motion (Official Music Video) [HD Upgrade]':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Re4aDJL3heA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Re4aDJL3heA</a>

'Put Em Under Pressure' (We're all part of Jackie's Army):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tKKEbJNwjO4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tKKEbJNwjO4</a>

'Fish - Say it with pride' - Scotland World Cup song:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vRMrlBApZdk/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vRMrlBApZdk/</a>

'Cameroon: The Indomitable Lions | Italy 1990 | FIFA World Cup':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ynQ41HZdRf8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ynQ41HZdRf8</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/ynQ41HZdRf8

'Roger Milla - World Cup 1990':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gaAq2LcbKPY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gaAq2LcbKPY</a>

'Ireland World Cup 1990 (Italia 90) Highlights':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IcaB55SdW_4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IcaB55SdW_4</a>

'Italia 90 - RTE montage':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XVqlFKoACXw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XVqlFKoACXw</a>

'World Cup 90 Ireland':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Pazh__1Kuus" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Pazh__1Kuus</a>

'Ireland v Romania Italia 90 Penalties Full':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8-aahFmNqaE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8-aahFmNqaE</a>

England 1 - 1 Ireland (2 minute highlights):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XuUzu0ZWgXU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XuUzu0ZWgXU</a>

England 0 - 0 Netherlands (3 minute highlights):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/70ix815NT74" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/70ix815NT74</a>

England 1 - 0 Egypt (2 minute highlights):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-g25S7gpNc8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-g25S7gpNc8</a>

England 1 - 0 Belgium (aet) : Last 16 (2 minute highlights):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U5_FdQkNTLc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U5_FdQkNTLc</a>

England 3-2 Cameroon (aet) : Quarter-Final (4 minute highlights):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wnXZkllk-nk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wnXZkllk-nk</a>

'Costa Rica v Scotland Italia 90 World Cup Group Game Highlights':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VNAM-q0-0ZU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VNAM-q0-0ZU</a>

'Costa Rica at Italia 90':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pGqXgWCHwVo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pGqXgWCHwVo</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/pGqXgWCHwVo

'Exciting Czechoslovakia pull Italia 90 surprise':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jfpftJjiN7I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jfpftJjiN7I</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/jfpftJjiN7I

Belgium 3 - 1 Uruguay (2 minute highlights; some great goals):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1qwdCPJHb48" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1qwdCPJHb48</a>

'West Germany v Netherlands | 1990 FIFA World Cup - Last 16 | Full Match':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Uc1iWqw8g-o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Uc1iWqw8g-o</a>

'The Diego Maradona Story | Argentina at Italy 1990 | FIFA World Cup':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2GthALlujpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2GthALlujpg</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/2GthALlujpg

'Salvatore 'Toto' Schillaci - Italia 1990 - 6 goals':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QQnM9OcJ8tw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QQnM9OcJ8tw</a>

'Cult Heroes | Milla, Valderrama & more! | 1990 FIFA World Cup':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CNMd6ySuL4o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CNMd6ySuL4o</a>

'Anatomy of a Goal - Lothar Matthaus vs Yugoslavia':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Jv-6nK4N3fk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Jv-6nK4N3fk</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/Jv-6nK4N3fk

'Roberto Baggio vs Czechoslovakia':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EGUeRn5c3Tc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EGUeRn5c3Tc</a>

The World Cup Semi-Finals...

'West Germany 1-1 England (4-3 PSO) | Extended Highlights | 1990 FIFA World Cup Semi-Final' (13 minutes):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MdpOxTEmRfQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MdpOxTEmRfQ</a>

'Italy 1-1 Argentina (3-4 PSO) | Extended Highlights | 1990 FIFA World Cup Semi-Final' (15 minutes):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nY-G9pP70Vw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nY-G9pP70Vw</a>

3rd Place Play-Off...

'Italy 1990: Third Place Playoff: Italy 2 - 1 England' (3 minute highlights):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QZng4Otbj70" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QZng4Otbj70</a>

The World Cup Final...

'West Germany 1-0 Argentina | Extended Highlights | 1990 FIFA World Cup Final' (12 minutes):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ptuW0qA2m4c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ptuW0qA2m4c</a>

1990 World Cup Final: West Germany 1-0 Argentina (full match replay):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/z9ZiZYZZ34Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/z9ZiZYZZ34Q</a>

'An Evening With Gary Lineker':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vLOcIsaruAk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vLOcIsaruAk</a>

'Kevin Allen's World Cup Video Diary. (Italia 90)':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OSO-uPr_eAI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OSO-uPr_eAI</a>

'Panini Album FIFA "World Cup Italia 90"':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ACECw3S8eU8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ACECw3S8eU8</a>

Some other RAWK World Cup related threads:-

Greatest World Cup Moment? - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=250295.0
Your favourite World Cup goal - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=314103.msg12828067#msg12828067
Brazil 4-1 Italy : 1970 WC - The best International side ever? - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=237937.msg17602031#msg17602031
'Brazil - Are they all they're cracked up to be?' thread - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=117059.msg1899189
Maradona - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=302515.0
Pele - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303945 & https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267818
Socrates - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=279970.msg15732805#msg15732805
The Real Ronaldo - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=285250.0 & www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=254350.msg6661447

« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 12:57:06 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2021, 06:17:59 pm »
Brazil's matches from the 1990 World Cup...

Wikipedia Page for Brazil at the 1990 World Cup - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_at_the_1990_FIFA_World_Cup

www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/archive - and then select 'Archive', then 'World Cup', then which World Cup you'd like to see video footage of... (highlights or full match replays etc)

Group Stage, Brazil's 1st match : Brazil 2 - 1 Sweden : 1 minute highlights...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-KuXDzusx8s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-KuXDzusx8s</a>

Group Stage, Brazil's 2nd match : Brazil 1 - 0 Costa Rica : 2 minute highlights...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5WdMuNYHXeo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5WdMuNYHXeo</a>

Group Stage, Brazil's 3rd match : Brasil 1 - 0 Scotland : 2 minute highlights...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3Viv0AEsAmg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3Viv0AEsAmg</a>

Knockout Stage: Last 16, Brazil's 4th match : Brasil 0 - 1 Argentina : 4 minute highlights...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jQKlw46Osn0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jQKlw46Osn0</a>

'Brazil v Argentina | 1990 FIFA World Cup - Last 16 Game | Full Match Replay':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/O3DDJXfOBP8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/O3DDJXfOBP8</a>

Back Row: Taffarel, Mauro Galvão, Ricardo Gomes, Mozer, Jorginho and Branco.
Front Row: Müller, Alemão, Careca, Dunga and Valdo.

RAWK's 'Spain 82' (Brazil at 1982 World Cup) thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=254153.msg15527353#msg15527353

RAWK's 'Mexico 86' (Brazil at 1986 World Cup) thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=253812.msg17618061#msg17618061

RAWK's 'Italy 90' (Brazil at 1990 World Cup) thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=249256.msg17628353#msg17628353

RAWK's 'USA 94' (Brazil at 1994 World Cup) thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=249814.msg17629538#msg17629538

RAWK's 'France 98' (Brazil at 1998 World Cup) thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=248571.msg17634054#msg17634054

RAWK's 'Japan / Korea 02' (Brazil at 2002 World Cup) thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=250045.msg17634141#msg17634141

RAWK's 'Germany 06' (Brazil at 2006 World Cup) thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=250691.msg17678099#msg17678099

RAWK's 'South Africa 10' (Brazil at 2010 World Cup) thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=250594.msg18415353#msg18415353

RAWK's 'Brazil 14' (Brazil at 2014 World Cup) thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=315133.msg18415373#msg18415373

RAWK's 'Russia 18' (Brazil at 2018 World Cup) thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=117059.msg18417424#msg18417424

RAWK's Socrates thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=279970.msg15732805#msg15732805

RAWK's 'Pele - A reminder of Greatness' thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303945.0

RAWK's 'Brazil 1970 - The best International side ever?' thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=237937.msg17602031#msg17602031

RAWK's 'Brazil - Are they all they're cracked up to be?' thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=117059.msg1899189

RAWK's 'Greatest World Cup Moments' thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=250295.msg17489735#msg17489735

RAWK's 'Your favourite World Cup goal' thread - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=314103.0

FIFA's official youtube playlist for 'Brazil's Greatest 100 World Cup Goals' - www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCGIzmTE4d0gX9KR7I4-sr2O6PtwMi_vE

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 04:27:10 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #149 on: March 4, 2021, 05:29:42 pm »
Went on a nostalgia trip and was watching a few Italia 90 Saint and Greavsie episodes, including one post England v. Ireland. And even thirty plus years ago, you have them asking why English defenders don't play it out from the back.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #150 on: March 4, 2021, 06:17:10 pm »
Not sure which is the worst world cup out of this or the 2010 one, both were bad, this one quite defensive, i don't remember many high scoring matches, that the back pass rule was introduced a couple of years later.

Argentina fluking there way to the final, they only scored 5 goals in 7 matches[2 goals in the knockout rounds], the final itself was dreadful too.

Last world cup featuring the old USSR & Yugoslavia, before the break up of those countries.

Group F, consisting of England, Ireland, Netherlands & Egypt dubbed group of death played like it, only 1 win from 6 matches in the group & that was England vs Egypt, with Mark Wright scoring the winning goal

Germany vs Netherlands second round match, was quite feisty match, Frank Rijkaard & Rudi Voller both sent off midway through the first half, which lead Rijkaard to spitting at Voller, i can still see the phlegm on Voller's perm

I do remember summer 1990 being quite a glorious summer too, loads of sunshine in the UK
#Sausages