Author Topic: Sefton Park  (Read 126733 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Sefton Park
« Reply #480 on: July 15, 2021, 08:30:02 pm »
Our son married a girl from Ambleside 20 years ago. Every time we visit it's either overcast or raining. This time the sun came out and it was beautiful.

When I was in Sefton Park I visited the Palm House which has recently celebrated it's 125th anniversary since opening and its 20th since it was refurbished.

And, driving along Park Road whilst simultaneously avoiding the pot holes, noticed that St Patrick's has recently celebrated its 200th anniversary.
I'm too busy trying to slalom around potholes and jay walkers on Park Road to notice much else.

My partner remembers the Palm House when it was derelict and in a sad state. I never saw it like that. It's lovely now, isn't it.

Given the weather forecast for this weekend I'm expecting big crowds in the park. Just a shame about the lake though.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #481 on: September 9, 2021, 03:58:24 am »
Boss free party there today in the mushie picking field .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: September 9, 2021, 11:58:30 am »
We went around it on Tuesday and the south end of the lake looked awful. Full of bluey-green slime.

Ah, I do love the Lake District. Funny enough, I've not been in summertime. I've always gone in winter. I didn't know the LD had issues with this algae, but after a quick Google it seems they have done on a number of occasions.

Hope you enjoyed Ambleside. Lovely place.  :)

Only just seen this, it happens all over the place, the boating lake in Botanic Gardens in Southport used to suffer badly with it and it used to kill the fish. I worked in the Southport Branch of the Tool Hire company I work for back in the 90's and most summers Sefton Council used to hire a diaphragm pump from us. They pump around 400L a minute and are the kinds of things you use to empty a large pond, small lake, flooded cellar that kind of stuff.

Unlike the way its being used in the pic below, the council would set the pump up so that it drew the water out of the lake but had the outlet pointed back at the lake, so it then sprayed the water back in. They said this then oygenated the water in the lake

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: September 9, 2021, 12:25:38 pm »
Only just seen this, it happens all over the place, the boating lake in Botanic Gardens in Southport used to suffer badly with it and it used to kill the fish. I worked in the Southport Branch of the Tool Hire company I work for back in the 90's and most summers Sefton Council used to hire a diaphragm pump from us. They pump around 400L a minute and are the kinds of things you use to empty a large pond, small lake, flooded cellar that kind of stuff.

Unlike the way its being used in the pic below, the council would set the pump up so that it drew the water out of the lake but had the outlet pointed back at the lake, so it then sprayed the water back in. They said this then oygenated the water in the lake

I've not been to the lake for around four weeks now so I don't know what state it's currently in, but it was still affected and closed last time I was there. I know the council have had to oxygenate the waters in some park lakes in Liverpool in the past, usually in prolonged spells of very warm, settled weather, which depletes dissolved oxygen levels.

I don't know if the blue-green algae was an issue when we were kids or whether we were just unaware of it, but these days it seems to be common in summer and, as you said, really widespread.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: September 9, 2021, 09:21:02 pm »
^ ^ ^
In August they spent several weeks oxygenating Caldies lake. It was pretty sad to see some of the dead fish before they commenced.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: October 9, 2021, 05:11:54 pm »
What’s going on this weekend? Saw loads of people setting stuff up on the field next to the Palm House. Can hear stuff going on now too.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #486 on: October 12, 2021, 11:35:56 am »
Anyone know of anybody who's got married here? Weighing up whether it might be a suitable wedding venue and whether I have the stomach to spend that much.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #487 on: October 12, 2021, 11:48:20 am »
What’s going on this weekend? Saw loads of people setting stuff up on the field next to the Palm House. Can hear stuff going on now too.

All getting set up for a massive Pokemon Go event next week - https://pokemongolive.com/events/safarizone/liverpool/

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #488 on: October 12, 2021, 03:23:17 pm »
Anyone know of anybody who's got married here? Weighing up whether it might be a suitable wedding venue and whether I have the stomach to spend that much.

I went to one about 3 years ago. It was alright, can't say I was there that long and remember much of it. They had a temp bar set up where the little cafe is in the Palm house and tables around the dance area that were moved that way after the food and all that was done. My brother is getting married there in December... if you want to wait that long to find out more.

The plants and everything make a great setting if you are into that kind of thing but the actual set up and practicality can probably be bettered elsewhere.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: October 12, 2021, 10:03:13 pm »
All getting set up for a massive Pokemon Go event next week - https://pokemongolive.com/events/safarizone/liverpool/

Ah ok, was trying to figure out what all those posts everywhere were for. Just had a look at the concept etc on the website, heard of it before but looks mad, really fun if you are into it I suppose, way over my head though.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: October 12, 2021, 10:56:48 pm »

It's been getting set up for nearly two weeks mate . The first I knew about it was two big wifi mast things in the field outside ours. I spoke to the lads erecting them and they are there so everyone has a dead good signal and a dead good pokemon experience .  At least it's not in the mushie picking field at this time of year.

Vive les Lutine !

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: January 3, 2023, 11:49:01 am »
Something's going on at Old Nick's Cave in Sefton Park. Cordoned off and forensics officers in the cave.  :-\

Edit: Turns out it was a "serious sexual offence" on a 16 year-old girl. A 32 year-old man has been arrested.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2023, 02:32:35 pm by Son of Spion »

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: January 12, 2023, 12:50:27 pm »
Something's going on at Old Nick's Cave in Sefton Park. Cordoned off and forensics officers in the cave.  :-\

Edit: Turns out it was a "serious sexual offence" on a 16 year-old girl. A 32 year-old man has been arrested.

I seen that cordon and wondered what had happened. Terrible news that the dirty little c*nt !!!

Anyway..   the daffs are really shooting outside of ours .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: April 26, 2023, 01:16:54 pm »
I don't know where he's off to but King Charles has just gone past Sefton Park in a motorcade.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #494 on: April 26, 2023, 01:19:49 pm »
I don't know where he's off to but King Charles has just gone past Sefton Park in a motorcade.

King Charles pub maybe? Hope he's taken some coins with him.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: April 26, 2023, 01:29:59 pm »
:D

Turns out they're off to the Arena and the Central Library in town. I suppose they must have come down Queens Drive from the motorway, hence why I saw them pass the park.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #496 on: April 26, 2023, 04:33:26 pm »

Hope he wasn’t heading for the Wellington over the road from the Florrie, which he reopened in 2013.

Edit - he reopened the Florrie, the Wellington has since closed.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/prince-charles-enjoys-quick-pint-3325379