Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 600007 times)

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #4280 on: January 16, 2022, 01:56:27 pm »
Always enjoyed great food and service at a little Indian place called the Hilal Balti House. That was always my favourite place to eat in Formby.

Don Luigi was OK too for Italian, but haven't been for absolute yonks.

And a little further out [Ainsdale] the Jade Gardens is a fantastic Chinese place.

Hope the info helps!
That's great, thank you!
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #4281 on: January 16, 2022, 04:54:15 pm »
I was going to mention them, my go to when I'm stumbling round after too many. The question is, have you ever had them sober and still rate them as high? I have only ever been in there when pissed.

Yeah mate, if going home from work via town, I'd often call in for my tea! ...can happily report the standard is just as high, whether bladdered or teetotal  8)
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4282 on: January 16, 2022, 05:27:40 pm »
Went to Free State Kitchen the other day and its 2-4-1 on the burgers in January, I got some onion one and it was really very good.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4283 on: January 21, 2022, 01:24:14 am »
Haven't read the thread, however Ellingtons in Crosby is probably one of the best restaurants I've eaten at.
Love the owners / staff / ambiance

Fabulous place imho

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4284 on: January 24, 2022, 07:48:51 pm »
Moose Coffee [Hope St] for breakfast the other day.

First visit, and it was marvellous.

Lovely relaxed vibe, good service, and great food and coffee.

Will be my go to weekday brekky place now, as last 2 visits to Tavern have been really poor. Still got a nice atmosphere, but the food and especially the service seem to have fallen off a cliff lately. Shame.

Weekend breakfasts will still be at Churrasco - boss place that.

Online NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #4285 on: January 24, 2022, 08:36:59 pm »
Moose Coffee [Hope St] for breakfast the other day.

First visit, and it was marvellous.

Lovely relaxed vibe, good service, and great food and coffee.

Will be my go to weekday brekky place now, as last 2 visits to Tavern have been really poor. Still got a nice atmosphere, but the food and especially the service seem to have fallen off a cliff lately. Shame.

Weekend breakfasts will still be at Churrasco - boss place that.

Try Moose on Dale street.  They should taste the same, but find their Dale street branch to be even better for some reason, not that their Hope street branch is anything but excellent . Service is just as good and friendly as Hope street too.
What's your pleasure?

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4286 on: January 28, 2022, 02:41:34 pm »
Zorbas last night for first time in ages.

Still best Greek food around by a mile. That Hummus he makes in there is bloody sublime.

Lovely to see the place bursting at the seems and full of life again. Last time I went in there to was to pick up a takeaway I ordered at New Year, to help them out when soft arse Boris moved the goalposts last minute again. That time it was in darkness and deserted.

Made up it survived lockdown and is still here nearly 50 years after it opened.

Great place but for somewhere out of the city centre and with a larger menu, Othello's on Gateacre Park Drive is still an amazing and consistent place.
It amazes me that people head to some of the less good Turkish restaurants nearby in their droves, only to overlook this gem.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4287 on: January 29, 2022, 11:43:53 am »
First visit to Berringtons last night.

It’s in the old Neon Jamon premises on Smithdown Place.

Not bad - they cook over a flame pit, and the menu is largely red meat based, but they do offer a couple of fish dishes.

Starters, mains, a shared cheese board, a couple of bottles of wine and a few beers came to £200 for four, including a 10% service charge. Decent value as food was quite good.

Place had a nice atmosphere and service was good.

Overall a solid 7 out of 10. A decent place but not mind blowing. Nowhere near the level of Spire though, which is only a couple of doors away.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4288 on: January 29, 2022, 12:32:56 pm »
Couple of quick ones for those at the end of a drinking session around the ropewalks

Nightcrawler Pizza - Tacked onto the side of The Merchant on Slater Street. Lovely thin and crispy slices of pizza

Caribou Poutine - Stumbling distance from Shipping forecast, Jacaranda etc. Chips, Gravy, Cheese curds and loads of extras on top. Where has this kind of place been all my life?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4289 on: January 29, 2022, 12:34:14 pm »
Love Caribou. Used to be my hangover meal of choice the afternoon after a big session!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4290 on: January 29, 2022, 12:41:22 pm »
Oh and couple on Lark Lane.

The Raj. Formally Red Fort. Pretty sure its the same owners. Very decent sit-down Indian Restaurant with probably the largest dining space of all the restaurants in Lark Lane. Nothing majorly special but not expensive and food was nice.

The Bookbinder. Bar, cafe, Bistro, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner. Pretty much covers everything. Went during the farmers market so it was packed but had a gorgeous Breakfast Butty with a side of toast. Expensive at £11 but the ingredients were amazing and tasted lovely. Would go again but would probably book a table or wait for a quieter part of the day

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #4291 on: January 29, 2022, 04:17:43 pm »
Couple of quick ones for those at the end of a drinking session around the ropewalks

Nightcrawler Pizza - Tacked onto the side of The Merchant on Slater Street. Lovely thin and crispy slices of pizza

Caribou Poutine - Stumbling distance from Shipping forecast, Jacaranda etc. Chips, Gravy, Cheese curds and loads of extras on top. Where has this kind of place been all my life?

Love Caribou. Their maple cinnamon buns are amazing too

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #4292 on: February 1, 2022, 01:04:37 am »
The Caribou story is a good one.  It's on the wall on the left as you go in. 

« Last Edit: February 1, 2022, 01:06:09 am by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4293 on: February 1, 2022, 01:23:34 pm »
Nightcrawler is great, especially if you're just having a few drinks in the merchant and fancy something quick to eat.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4294 on: February 2, 2022, 04:08:26 pm »
Tiger Rock on Smithdown last weekend, great food and service as usual. Everyone had starters and what are called "small bowls" for mains (everything just comes out when it's ready) but the small bowls are big enough for a main course in my opinion. 140 quid for 5 of us - 3 had a couple of beers and two had dessert, it's good value and one of the best places in South Liverpool for me.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2022, 04:10:12 pm by gregor »

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4295 on: February 5, 2022, 08:20:51 am »
Went to Bouschon last night, was very impressed. Excellent service, nice setting. Food was very good. Shared a camambert and creamy mushrooms on toasted brioche starters. Then we had the duck and herb crusted ox cheek. Rich and full o flavour. Chocolate fondant and creme brulee to finish. Bottle of red and 2 Espresso Martinis. Came to 55 per head.

"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline timmit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4296 on: February 5, 2022, 09:29:51 am »
For anyone that like the Brazilian rodizio styles like Viva Brazil and Ben Brazil there is a great little place on Bold Street called FOGO Brazil. Cheaper than the others but better quality food imo. Worth it purely for the Parmesan pork and cinnamon pineapple alone
We are the Champions , Champions of Europe

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #4297 on: February 8, 2022, 12:55:48 pm »
Went to Bouschon last night, was very impressed. Excellent service, nice setting. Food was very good. Shared a camambert and creamy mushrooms on toasted brioche starters. Then we had the duck and herb crusted ox cheek. Rich and full o flavour. Chocolate fondant and creme brulee to finish. Bottle of red and 2 Espresso Martinis. Came to 55 per head.
Sounds good value that.

Was my birthday a few days back and a family member has got me vouchers to Tapas Revolution, which I believe is where La Tasca used to be in town. Anyone been?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4298 on: February 19, 2022, 01:22:52 pm »
I’ve asked this before, but anyone know Restaurants in or around liverpool (prescot area or South Liverpool) that have car parking on site?

Preferably ‘english’ style food
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4299 on: February 19, 2022, 10:16:51 pm »
Another nice evening on Saturday at The Butchers Café and bar on Booker Avenue.

Mainly a drinking spot, but does a selection of small plates/sharing platters.

Some nice ale on draft, the food is really good, and its a very pleasant and civilised place to have a bevy and a chat with your mates, whilst eating some nice food.

Its a very small place, and it shuts at half ten promptly due to some strict licensing conditions [its right in the middle of a residential area]. We were there for well over 5 hours on Saturday, casually drinking our way through the beer list, and grazing our way through a lot of the menu.

Waitress service at the table, so you don't even have to get off your arse to get served.

Nice relaxed vibe, with good background music played at a reasonable sound level.

£50 a head including a generous tip for the staff, who are great. Very good value for the amount of food and drink we had.

Boss place.

Totally agree :)
It’s a really lovely place with a pleasant vibe.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4300 on: February 20, 2022, 09:30:54 pm »
I’ve asked this before, but anyone know Restaurants in or around liverpool (prescot area or South Liverpool) that have car parking on site?

Can't think of any off top of my head that have car parking on site in those areas mate.

There's loads of car parks/parking around Prescot, and I'd recommend 'Pinion' if you're up in that neck of the woods. really good and reasonably priced bistro type food. Its in the pedestrianised bit, but you can park within 50 yards of the place.

In S Liverpool we always enjoy Churrasco [its a steak house] - its at the end of a road in Sefton park that's been bollarded off, and we have always been able to park right outside as you wouldn't really use that street unless you were going to that restaurant, so its never busy.

In other news, off to Moor Hall again next month. Going to the Barn this time rather than the main restaurant, but just read that the Barn itself has received its first Michelin star in the 2022 guide, to go with the 2 held by the main restaurant.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 09:34:48 pm by Only Me »

Offline timmit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4301 on: February 21, 2022, 07:39:42 pm »
In S Liverpool we always enjoy Churrasco [its a steak house] - its at the end of a road in Sefton park that's been bollarded off, and we have always been able to park right outside as you wouldn't really use that street unless you were going to that restaurant, so its never busy.

Quailty food at Churrasco.

They've opened another one now in town (Hanover Street)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4302 on: February 21, 2022, 09:46:29 pm »

The Elephant in Woolton or the Pinion in Prescot (not sure about parking there).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 09:48:19 pm by So... Howard Phillips »

Offline gregor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4303 on: February 25, 2022, 10:39:51 am »

Pretty much anywhere in South Liverpool will have on street parking outside or nearby, to be honest that goes for anywhere other than the city centre. You don't have to pay for parking anywhere other than town. So if you went for example to Spire, one of my favourite local restaurants in South Liverpool, you can easily park on one of the side streets next to it or behind it at any time of day or night.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 10:42:22 am by gregor »

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4304 on: February 25, 2022, 10:42:46 am »
Pretty much anywhere in South Liverpool will have on street parking outside or nearby, to be honest that goes for anywhere other than the city centre. You don't have to pay for parking anywhere other than town. So if you went for example to Spire, one of my favourite local restaurants in South Liverpool, you can easily park on one of the side streets next to it at any time of day or night.

Thanks, due to my grandma being 92 and barely able to walk 30 metres anymore we have to be clever with where we go now. (She won't get a wheelchair). Ended up in Delifonseca dockside, which is where we always end up. The menu isn't great with variation, but the few things they do were fairly good.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline gregor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4305 on: February 25, 2022, 10:47:19 am »
Thanks, due to my grandma being 92 and barely able to walk 30 metres anymore we have to be clever with where we go now. (She won't get a wheelchair). Ended up in Delifonseca dockside, which is where we always end up. The menu isn't great with variation, but the few things they do were fairly good.

My mum isn't great mobility wise either, but most places you can at least pull up outside so she's able to get out, and then park nearby. I suppose most places with on site car parks would be pubs, one place I can think of that has parking is the Purple Olive Indian restaurant in Hunts Cross (used to be a pub hence the car park). I've only ever been once and the food was nice, but it was really quiet and not much of an atmosphere, may have just gone there too early.

edit - thinking about it there is also a small car park at Yukti Indian restaurant in Old Swan - obviously not South Liverpool but not a million miles away, and the food there is really good.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 10:48:53 am by gregor »

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4306 on: March 1, 2022, 12:52:25 pm »
Hi,

Could you guys recommend a restaurant or two for this weekend? 4 of us, but my missus is celiac so gluten free and vegetarian. She likes Italian, Mexican or Indian. Want a nice looking place, with nice atmosphere for a family. Thanks

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4307 on: March 1, 2022, 01:05:36 pm »
Hi,

Could you guys recommend a restaurant or two for this weekend? 4 of us, but my missus is celiac so gluten free and vegetarian. She likes Italian, Mexican or Indian. Want a nice looking place, with nice atmosphere for a family. Thanks

Sanskruti for an Indian - the best in Liverpool IMO. It's all veggie so won't have any issues with choices.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4308 on: March 1, 2022, 01:10:30 pm »
Thanks CraigDS, the only one in the family that is a veg is my wife. Rest of us are carnivores

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4309 on: March 1, 2022, 01:21:51 pm »
Thanks CraigDS, the only one in the family that is a veg is my wife. Rest of us are carnivores

As am I, but it's the best curry in Liverpool for me, you won't be disappointed.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4310 on: March 1, 2022, 03:44:05 pm »
Hi,

Sanskruti or Mowgli for Indian food.
Amalia for Italian.
Not really been out for Mexican.

*Note: All my restaurant knowledge comes from visits before COVID.  ;D

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4311 on: March 1, 2022, 06:50:58 pm »
As am I, but it's the best curry in Liverpool for me, you won't be disappointed.

He's dead right, you know.

No way could I ever be a vegetarian, but I'm a regular at Sanskruti, and the food is always fantastic. Its a top notch place for Indian food.

Really nice atmosphere in there too.

Offline shetty

• Kemlynite
  • I hardly ever post
« Reply #4312 on: March 3, 2022, 11:27:16 am »
Mexican: la parilla on bold street. Nice place. Looks great and the food is lovely.
Was great in the daytime, but didn't enjoy it as much on a Saturday night. Not the food, that was still great, more the atmosphere. Probably best going before the heavy drinking starts at the weekend.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4313 on: March 3, 2022, 08:31:17 pm »
Thanks guys.

My missus does Indian veggie home cooking and I’ve had it last 2 days so it’s meat on Saturday. Might go Mowgli, or Al Dente or Shiraz Palace. Anyone know if they’re good?

Thanks

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4314 on: March 3, 2022, 08:58:58 pm »
Thanks guys.

My missus does Indian veggie home cooking and I’ve had it last 2 days so it’s meat on Saturday. Might go Mowgli, or Al Dente or Shiraz Palace. Anyone know if they’re good?

Thanks

Not been to Shiraz Palace but been to their Shiraz BBQ, that one is def not curry and very much more Turkish but the quality of the food is exceptional IMO.

Missing out not doing Sanskruti though, I genuinely rate it that highly (and I lived in the city centre for nearly 6 years and ate out a few times a week!).

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4315 on: March 3, 2022, 09:52:07 pm »
Mentioned this to my missus, and she wants to go. Thanks for the help

Offline timmit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4316 on: March 3, 2022, 11:24:29 pm »
Thanks guys.

Thanks

Shiraz Palace is always very very good quality

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4317 on: March 17, 2022, 10:43:08 am »
There was a great Thai (I think?) place behind Liverpool One (near where the outside bar thing and Five Guys is) which seems to have shutdown. Anyone remember the name? Any suggestions on similar please?

Edit: was called Chaophraya
YNWA.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4318 on: March 17, 2022, 10:45:11 am »
There was a great Thai (I think?) place behind Liverpool One (near where the outside bar thing and Five Guys is) which seems to have shutdown. Anyone remember the name? Any suggestions on similar please?

Edit: was called Chaophraya

Rosa's Thai Cafe on Albert Dock is decent.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4319 on: March 17, 2022, 10:50:26 am »
Rosa's Thai Cafe on Albert Dock is decent.

Cheers, will give them a spin soon!
YNWA.