Author Topic: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread  (Read 164235 times)

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
Re: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread
« Reply #80 on: July 8, 2008, 04:22:30 pm »
I pay Sky a fucking bomb every month and I'm not in a 12 contract, I want an HD box for my bedroom but obviously don't want to pay loads for it. I already got Sky+ in that room so don't necessarily need installation.

What's the best thing for me to do? Threaten to cancel? Cancel and then sign up as a new customer? Buy a box off ebay?

Anyone in the know that can help?
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: July 8, 2008, 05:16:52 pm »
I pay Sky a fucking bomb every month and I'm not in a 12 contract, I want an HD box for my bedroom but obviously don't want to pay loads for it. I already got Sky+ in that room so don't necessarily need installation.

What's the best thing for me to do? Threaten to cancel? Cancel and then sign up as a new customer? Buy a box off ebay?

Phone them up and see what they can do for you, you can always threaten to cancel. When you get put through to cancellation, tell them that you are pissed off with all this money going out and they won't do a deal on a new HD box for you yet Virgin are falling over trying to get into a deal. They will try and sort something out as they never want you to cancel.

I have been through to cancellation dept about 6 or 7 times (3 with my HD box) becasue they wouldn't send a service engineer out FOC, everytime, the cancellation dept have sorted a service engineer FOC without any hassle whatsoever. All they asked was why I wanted to cancel and I told them that my HD box was fucked and I wasn't prepared to pay anymore on top of the subscription for someone to come out. No bargaining or bartering or umming or arghing, it was sorted straight away.

If you can't be arsed doing that, buy a box off E-Bay, fit it yourself and then just ring sky up to match the card to the box and take an HD subscription out if you don't already have one..
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 8, 2008, 05:17:54 pm »

Buy a box off eBay, but you'll still have to pay Sky a tenner for the HD channels (apart from beeb).

If you threaten to cancel you could get a good deal, but they could call your bluff and wave you bye-bye without giving you anything. If you do this say your going to Virgin media for V+ or Freesat HD.

If you cancel and come in as a new customer, technically you are not entitled to all of these new customer specials because the terms of the new customer agreement state only one discount can ever be applied per person, per address. So you have already had a new customer discount when you originally joined at this address and you won't be entitled to another. You might slip through the net and get lucky, but you might not.

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 8, 2008, 08:04:33 pm »
I bought my box off ebay and got it fitted myself - I just rang sky and paired my card with the new box. I didn't take out the subscription service for HD - am happy with BBC1 and CH4 for the time being until there's more content available.
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #84 on: July 8, 2008, 08:08:49 pm »
May as well get the components required to rebuild the PSU in ready for when it gives up, quality control is shite, they rarely last more than a year, which is partly my reason not refusing to go down the HD route until the pace box is released.

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 8, 2008, 09:03:22 pm »
May as well get the components required to rebuild the PSU in ready for when it gives up, quality control is shite, they rarely last more than a year, which is partly my reason not refusing to go down the HD route until the pace box is released.

Don't jinx me now Ben!  :D  Have had my box for about 14 months with no probs at all.
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline bin lid

• Kemlynite
« Reply #86 on: July 9, 2008, 01:28:00 am »
People who claim to get a better SD picture haven't got a clue or have a shite telly. Some people would tell you the sky is rainbow coloured.

Having googled it, it does seem like you can set the Sky HD box to output at native resolution and allow the TV to do the upscaling. Best of both worlds.

Seems the sky is rainbow coloured ....................................

probally from the same sites i referred to in an earlier post

Just a thought
« Last Edit: July 9, 2008, 01:34:16 am by bin lid »

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #87 on: July 9, 2008, 09:30:43 am »
Phone them up and see what they can do for you, you can always threaten to cancel. When you get put through to cancellation, tell them that you are pissed off with all this money going out and they won't do a deal on a new HD box for you yet Virgin are falling over trying to get into a deal. They will try and sort something out as they never want you to cancel.

I have been through to cancellation dept about 6 or 7 times (3 with my HD box) becasue they wouldn't send a service engineer out FOC, everytime, the cancellation dept have sorted a service engineer FOC without any hassle whatsoever. All they asked was why I wanted to cancel and I told them that my HD box was fucked and I wasn't prepared to pay anymore on top of the subscription for someone to come out. No bargaining or bartering or umming or arghing, it was sorted straight away.

If you can't be arsed doing that, buy a box off E-Bay, fit it yourself and then just ring sky up to match the card to the box and take an HD subscription out if you don't already have one..
Bear in mind mate that calling them up on a BT line costs an absolute bomb as well.  I think it is something like 10p per minute.

I was on hold for 30 minutes before I got through to Nigeria to order the HD box the other day.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 9, 2008, 10:00:03 am »

My first box is 2 years old now so I can expect it to fuck up any day now. Do you know when the pace box is due? I might be better waiting.

I already pay the £10pm HD subs and the multi room so I'm guessing it's just a case of getting the box.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #89 on: July 9, 2008, 10:03:41 am »
Who manufactures the current box?

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 9, 2008, 10:15:39 am »
Who manufactures the current box?

Thomson
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 9, 2008, 10:31:20 am »
Bear in mind mate that calling them up on a BT line costs an absolute bomb as well.  I think it is something like 10p per minute.

I was on hold for 30 minutes before I got through to Nigeria to order the HD box the other day.

I don't think the odd £3 for a phone call is going to break the bank of anyone thinking of getting Sky HD or a free repair etc.  Im not saying their prices for phone calls is good, right or anything else, but in the grand scheme of things, not worth a fig.

According to their T&C's,

Call charges

Calls to Sky 0844 numbers are free for Sky Talk customers.

For calls from BT landlines
(correct as at June 2008):

0844 numbers: 6p connection fee + up to 5p per minute

0870 numbers: 6p connection + up to 8p per minute

Charges for calls from mobile phones and other networks may vary:

Please note that call may be monitored or recorded for training purposes.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #92 on: July 9, 2008, 10:31:56 am »
Am loving he sound of Sky Anytime and the the new EPG looks good too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_HD

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #93 on: July 9, 2008, 10:38:26 am »
I don't think the odd £3 for a phone call is going to break the bank of anyone thinking of getting Sky HD or a free repair etc.  Im not saying their prices for phone calls is good, right or anything else, but in the grand scheme of things, not worth a fig.
£3 for a phone call, especially from a BT landline is a lot of money imo.

When you have problems, you may have to call them several times and the cost accumulates.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #94 on: July 9, 2008, 10:56:51 am »
Assuming it outputs at native resolution and allows the TV to upscale then yes - remember the Sky+ HD box is built to be as cheap as possible using shite cheapo components (partly the reason the PSUs in them never last more than a year) and the scaler contained within will be absolute shite compared with that in most half decent tellys.

When it comes to watching SD stuff on any HDTV, the most important part is the scaler, you can have a top of the range panel but if the scaler isn't upto the job the picture will be awfull.

Ben I have a 42" Panny PZ70 Full HD TV and Sky HD. The SD picture is fine and at least as good as my Toshiba CRT. There is sometimes a small flicker at the top of some programmes on some channels. I assume this is where there is not enough information to fill the screen. It is only a few mm.
The HD stuff is phenomenal. Put some football or rugby on SS1 on 401 and then change to SSHD1 on 408 and the difference is amazing.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 9, 2008, 10:59:46 am »

Setanta HD coming in August - :D
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 9, 2008, 11:00:48 am »

Setanta in HD soon according to the never reliable Wikipedia link above :)

Wonder how much extra Setanta will charge for that - bearing in mind it's already £12.99 + £2.99 per extra box.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #97 on: July 9, 2008, 11:01:47 am »
Will it be included in the £10.00 HD package do you think?

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 9, 2008, 11:03:12 am »

Fucking better be or I will cancel it...

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #99 on: July 9, 2008, 11:08:10 am »
Fucking better be or I will cancel it...
Perhaps that is why we had that stealth price increase this month (from £9.99 to £12.99).

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 9, 2008, 11:20:26 am »

Doubt it will be part of Sky's £10 HD package - the Setanta channels are sold separately in SD so would expect them to be sold separately in HD

Unless they say Setanta HD is free to existing Setanta subscribers.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: July 9, 2008, 11:55:34 am »
£3 for a phone call, especially from a BT landline is a lot of money imo.

When you have problems, you may have to call them several times and the cost accumulates.

I did say I wasn't getting into the semantics of whether it was right, wrong, cheap or dear, but it's not even £3 for a 30min call on the dearest tariff, it's nearer £2.50.

The topic was broached in connection with buying Sky HD over the phone, if less than £3 is gonna break the bank, I don't know why anyone would consider buying HD. Otherwise, don't make the phonecall, use the internet or go into your local TV retailer (Of course, you'd have to walk then as the fuel would be more than the phonecall).

Me, I'd rather spend upto £3 and get in done and dusted there and then.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: July 9, 2008, 12:00:05 pm »
Doubt it will be part of Sky's £10 HD package - the Setanta channels are sold separately in SD so would expect them to be sold separately in HD

Unless they say Setanta HD is free to existing Setanta subscribers.

I have emailed Setanta and I will post the reply

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #103 on: July 9, 2008, 12:10:01 pm »

Seems the sky is rainbow coloured ....................................

probally from the same sites i referred to in an earlier post

The only site you linked to was one about price cuts ::)

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 9, 2008, 12:28:39 pm »
Perhaps that is why we had that stealth price increase this month (from £9.99 to £12.99).

They've been charging me £15 on and off for the last 12 months. Every few months I have to get on the phone and have a moan. I'm now being charged £7.50 for the next 6 months but I've got to write to them for a refund for the £20 or so they've overcharged me.

Offline the brad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #105 on: July 9, 2008, 04:03:07 pm »
For HD do they use the existing cabling for Sky+ or do the need to put new cabling in?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 9, 2008, 04:10:15 pm »
For HD do they use the existing cabling for Sky+ or do the need to put new cabling in?

Same cable.

Offline bin lid

• Kemlynite
« Reply #107 on: July 9, 2008, 04:52:01 pm »
The only site you linked to was one about price cuts ::)

Two seperate comments, and it is obvious the link referred to the first comment i made.

The fact is you dismissed my second comment as complete shite with your flippent reply, as if you are the mr billy big bollocks regarding this subject............................ which you are obviously not.

My second comment said "what i had heard" meaning on various web sites that i had visited (but could not be arsed to find them again and put a link up)

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #108 on: July 9, 2008, 05:53:58 pm »
Two seperate comments, and it is obvious the link referred to the first comment i made.

What link are you on about ::)

The fact is you dismissed my second comment as complete shite with your flippent reply, as if you are the mr billy big bollocks regarding this subject............................ which you are obviously not.

My second comment said "what i had heard" meaning on various web sites that i had visited (but could not be arsed to find them again and put a link up)

I give up, some people are just far too touchy.

Offline Oingy Boingy

• Bisquitts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2008, 08:57:26 am »
Setanta HD coming in August - :D

i would love that to be true.
Indeed...

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2008, 09:21:02 am »
It's true mate, whether it is included in the price of HD or not is another matter.  I asusme you would have to subscribe to Setanta to get it.

Would love a porn channel in HD though....

Offline the brad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2008, 10:05:30 am »
:lmao

Offline Stonerdude

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2008, 01:44:03 pm »
Does anyone know where I can get a new HD box for roughly £150. I've tried ebay but they all seem to be going for over £200 and I really don't want to pay Sky £60 to plug a few cables in for me and make a phone call.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2008, 04:11:57 pm »
The HD box is only £150 anyway.

Offline bin lid

• Kemlynite
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2008, 05:11:59 pm »
The HD box is only £150 anyway.

It is of sky mate, but you would have to pay for them to fit it £60, and the lad stated he didn't wish to pay the charge to sky.

Offline Oingy Boingy

• Bisquitts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2008, 09:04:20 am »
It's true mate, whether it is included in the price of HD or not is another matter.  I asusme you would have to subscribe to Setanta to get it.

checked some of the online tech forums and no one seems to be  talking about this or confirming it..how do you know about it apart from what it says on the gospel that is wiki. ;D
Indeed...

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2008, 12:58:22 pm »
Setanta HD will almost certainly be an additional charge on top of the Setanta sub, the same way Setanta Multiroom is at an additional charge.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 01:08:22 pm by Ben S »

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2008, 01:07:21 pm »
Setanta HD will almost be an additional charge on top of the Setanta sub, the same way Setanta Multiroom is at an additional charge.

Mr Billy Big Bollocks at it again I see....

;) :D

Offline seanoevil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA.
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2008, 05:28:59 pm »
guys,

http://www.theskyteam.co.uk/greatskyoffers/staffOffer.aspx

what info should we put in the company boxes, staff numbers and codes etc?

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

15/10/10 - It's a new dawn, it's a new day...COME ON YOU REDMEN!

Offline Slidey

• Anny Roader
    • http://rawk.impulsed.net
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2008, 09:24:53 am »
so i ordered sky hd last week, being delivered today

with a friends sky recommendation i got it for:

box £75
installation £30 (bit of a pisstake - the cables are in, they just need to literally put the box in position and reconnect the 3-4 cables) - they wouldnt waive this though, and it means you get a years warranty

monthly cost £46 - this includes sky hd, sports, documentaries, news, music and entertainment. i'm also moving to sky broadband which is a fiver (included in the above)

im quite excited, and should get the back end of the cricket today too!