Author Topic: Famous Liverpool Matches - I was there  (Read 27508 times)

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Famous Liverpool Matches - I was there
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2019, 10:09:13 am »
The Arsenal game when Mellor scored to win 2-1.

Remember I was in the lower Anny Road before the game and as I walked out into the stand Henry was warming up and he blasted a shot wide and it cracked me in the face.  ;D to be fair to him he did apologise.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2019, 10:13:53 am »
Christ I was at that Leicester game too. Awful! At least I can say I got to witness Sean Dundee in the flesh.

Although Jookie, Rvans left the previous November and Houllier was in sole charge at that point. Albeit not with his squad and obviously he ripped it up and started again that summer.

Think we still had an ageing Riedle for the United game but Owen was injured and Fowler suspended for the ‘grass eating’ (that was a fun game too!).

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 10:32:10 am »
It's still sung about today. Rush Scored one, Rush scored two.............Goodison Derby November 1982. Everton 0 Liverpool 5.
Stood in the middle of the Street End and celebrated every one of them. Funny how the mind plays tricks, but I forgot until I looked it up that it was only 0-1 at half time although Glen Keely in his one and only game for Everton got sent off in the first half. He looked like a rabbit in the headlights up against Dalglish and Rush.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2019, 11:18:56 am »
Great mix of memories their Jookie. I remember that Blackpool game, it’s the only time I’ve ever bet on us to lose. Blackpool were something like 9/1 and as you said they played ya off the park. I don’t think anyone was that surprised when we lost.

A couple of other ones for me:

Liverpool 4 Manchester United 0, September 1990

This was a rare early Sunday kick off and we caught United cold. They were beginning to get their act together having won the FA Cup in May but we showed we were still a class above. It was part of our winning start to 90/91 and sadly there was no indication the wheels were going to come off. We raced into a 3-0 first half lead and Beardsley completed his hat trick in the second half by lobbing Les Sealey in front of the Kop. It was the first United match I’d been to and couldn’t believe the noise. Apart from one Manc, sat glumly a row or two in front of us I in the Kemlyn in that shit away shirt they had back then. You wouldn’t see that these days!

Was at that game, was nice to finally give them a good hiding after years of knowing we were a far better team but never really demonstrating it in our games against them - and I really celebrated this one and rubbed it in with the United fans I knew for a while afterwards. Aside from the brilliant Beardsley hat-trick, I remember that fantastic header from Barnes – the "player who wasn’t very good in the air", complete myth of course:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wY3cJwsRttY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wY3cJwsRttY</a>

Whilst searching for this match, I came across this video of John Barnes’ goals; he scored some amazing headers, and lots of them. I actually started to forget how good he was before watching this:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/R2Zpf6lPb6Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/R2Zpf6lPb6Y</a>
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2019, 11:35:24 am »
A couple of brilliant moves in that clip in the second half, one that ended with Barnes offside and one Houghton shanked wide.

Barnes getting booed by their dicks.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 12:26:37 pm »
Here are a few memories of games I saw when I first started going to the match

Liverpool 3 Watford 1  FA Cup replay 1/2/67 - My first Liverpool game
Can’t remember a great deal about the game itself, but I recall seeing the green pitch under the floodlights as I walked into the ground through the old entrance behind the Anny Road End goal and being enthralled by the sight and the atmosphere.

Liverpool 4 Southampton 1  25/10/69
It was the last season of the first great Shankly team and we were shortly to go out of the FA Cup at Watford. We were struggling against Southampton at Anfield and the score was 1-1. Roger Hunt was the substitute (only 1 allowed in those days) - he had missed the previous 3 games and came on for Alec Lindsay with about 15 minutes to go. The effect was immediate - Hunt scored in the 83rd and 84th minutes and to add to the excitement, Tommy Lawrence saved a penalty and Southampton put a further one through their own goal. We were all singing ‘Ee-aye addio, Sir Roger Hunt’ and it looked like our old hero had returned. Unfortunately, it wasn’t to be. Sir Roger only started another 3 games before departing to Bolton and the old Shankly team met its Waterloo at Watford the following February.

Everton 0 Liverpool 3 6/12/69 - My first Derby game
It’s hard to believe now, but Everton were a good team at that time and would eventually win the league by 9 points (with only 2 points for a win) that season. My uncle was a blue and, on the morning of the Goodison Derby, called round to say that he had a spare ticket for the match if I wanted to go with him, but it was for the Gladwys Street End. In those days, that wasn’t a big deal, so off I went to the match. The first half was completely unmemorable, but shortly after half time, Emlyn Hughes headed in a cross for our first goal. I celebrated and got a few dirty looks, but there were plenty of other Reds there too. Not long afterwards was one of my all time favourite Derby memories when Sandy Brown managed to head one into his own net for 2-0. We withstood some Everton pressure and broke away for Bobby Graham to make it 3-0. My uncle wasn’t very pleased and said ‘I’m never bringing you to the game again’!

Liverpool 3 Everton2 21/11/70 - My first Anfield Derby
Fast forward almost 12 months and it’s a new Liverpool team - Clemence, Lloyd, McLaughlin, Heighway, Toshack, Lindsay and Hall were all in the side. I had a ticket for the Kop - one of my first games standing there, along with my Dad. It was another unmemorable first half, but Everton went 2-0 up in the first 20 minutes or so after half time. We were just starting to give up hope when, on 69 minutes, Steve Heighway scored what was to be one of his trademark goals and the Kop really woke up and got behind the team. 5 minutes later, we were level when Toshack headed home. It was then absolute bedlam on the Kop - my Dad was holding on to the hood of my coat to keep contact, but it was nothing compared to what it was like when Chris Lawler scored a 3rd with just over 5 minutes left. I didn’t see my Dad again until after the game and I realised just how great it was on the Kop.

Liverpool 2 Leeds United 0 27th April 1973
I’d been going to the match for 7 years now and we hadn’t wan a trophy in all that time. I was beginning to think I was a jinx, but it all changed on Easter Monday. We played Leeds, knowing that a win would all but guarantee the title. All games then were pay at the gate, so we got to the ground ridiculously early - probably not much after noon, to be sure of getting in. Leeds were an incredibly tough team and always capable of frustrating you and pinching a result, but Peter Cormack put us in front just after half time. The second half remained very tense and we couldn’t relax until Kevin Keegan scored a 2nd with 5 minutes left. Although we still needed a point to be sure of the title, nobody really thought we’d let it slip at that stage and we made sure of it with a dull 0-0 draw at home to Leicester City - but it was that win over Leeds that really won it for us.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 12:31:27 pm »
The obvious matches down the years with the 74 FA Cup Final still remembered as if it were yesterday.

Not so obvious, but still famous in our history? Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough, August 1977. Kenny's debut and Kenny's first goal for us.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 12:44:53 pm »
Snip

Good stuff. Love hearing about the older ones.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2019, 12:55:33 pm »

Although Jookie, Evans left the previous November and Houllier was in sole charge at that point. Albeit not with his squad and obviously he ripped it up and started again that summer.

You are right. Evans had started the season as joint manager but left early in the season. My memory playing tricks on me.

To be honest it was still Evans' team in all but name. What we that summer in 1999 was so key to what we did in the early 2000's. Managed to put a few key building blocks in place that were key in the treble season and the 2005 CL win.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2019, 01:28:37 pm »
Liverpool 4 Manchester United 0, September 1990

This was a rare early Sunday kick off and we caught United cold. They were beginning to get their act together having won the FA Cup in May but we showed we were still a class above. It was part of our winning start to 90/91 and sadly there was no indication the wheels were going to come off. We raced into a 3-0 first half lead and Beardsley completed his hat trick in the second half by lobbing Les Sealey in front of the Kop. It was the first United match I’d been to and couldn’t believe the noise. Apart from one Manc, sat glumly a row or two in front of us I in the Kemlyn in that shit away shirt they had back then. You wouldn’t see that these days!

I was at that one. It was great to finally give them the thrashing they deserved from us. So many times had we been the better team yet come unstuck against this lot.
Putting them to the sword in such emphatic fashion was delicious.  8)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2019, 05:00:30 pm »
A couple of brilliant moves in that clip in the second half, one that ended with Barnes offside and one Houghton shanked wide.

Barnes getting booed by their dicks.

Aye, to me it also looked like a few of them were putting two fingers up to Beardsley after he'd scored the first goal. Very nasty, I'm sure it had a big impact on him and really upset him for the rest of the match.
 :-X
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2019, 05:17:38 pm »
Derby County away 1-1 (16 Mar 1988)

It was a mid-week game to equal the then record of games unbeaten at the start of the season (29).

We took the lead through Craig Jonhston, but they equalized in the 85th minute. We had loads of fans there.

Let's not talk about the derby v Everton in the next game
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:19:27 pm by Lotus Eater »
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2019, 05:18:13 pm »
Aye, to me it also looked like a few of them were putting two fingers up to Beardsley after he'd scored the first goal. Very nasty, I'm sure it had a big impact on him and really upset him for the rest of the match.
 :-X

“Two more for your hat trick Peteh”

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2019, 05:20:00 pm »
The only footie I've attended are one home game each for the three Nyköping amateur/semi professional clubs (Harg, IFK Nyköping and Nyköpings BIS) back in 2003-04 so I guess I'm rather empty-handed in live Liverpool games  ;D
Linudden.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2019, 05:25:56 pm »
1st ever Liverpool match in 1892. We beat Rotherham 7-1. I’d just recovered from a bout of syphalis and spent 5 weeks sailing from London to get there. Rained a bit second half. Not been back since.
You were the guy with the brolly?
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2019, 05:32:10 pm »
Annoyingly missed Istanbul despite having a ticket.

Most of mine were in Rafa’s time but the 2 that really stand out are the Chelsea 05 semi with the Garcia goal and the FA Cup final a year later against WestHam.

Did most of the league matches, cup finals and euro games home and away around that period.

The Chelsea game was unreal, I only found out after the game that the goal was Garcia’s effort, when Gallas cleared it off the line I looked at the floor of the Kop grabbing my head then everyone started going mental so I assumed someone had knocked the rebound in.

my overriding memory of that cup final against West Ham was sitting down thinking after knocking out United and Chelsea we’ve lost the cup final to fucking West Ham, just as I thought that the tannoy announced the added time so I stood up for one last push and just as I did Gerrard absolutely twats it into the back of the net, happy times.

League games -

The Goodison derby where Kuyt won it in injury time with a penalty and lescott then gets denied a stone waller at the other end immediately afterward :lmao

United away 4-1 in 09

Chelsea away when we ended their unbeaten home run of about 5 years

City away when we came from 2 down to win 3-2. At 2-0 their inbred fans were singing ‘we’ll buy your club and burn it down,’ and ‘we’ll sign Torres but you can keep Kuyt,’ Torres then goes on to get a brace and Kuyt the winner :lmao

I would have loved to have been at Old Trafford to see that 4-1 victory especially whilst Ferguson was still in charge! What did he say after the match "That was never a 4-1 scoreline" - I think you will find it was mate!  :D

Two great goals from our full backs, one of them Andre Dossena!! What was that all about? I think you were quite lucky to see us win at Old Trafford as we don't have a brilliant record there, I've been loads of times and can't remember seeing us win there, I must have missed the victory early on in 1990 but was there for the league cup defeat later that year. One thing I do remember about going there was getting twatted by coins thrown from the stand above and they used to put us in the lower stand behind the goal.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/liverpool/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Manchester%20United/

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p_7cqrN80nc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p_7cqrN80nc</a>

Did anyone manage to get to the 0-3 win at Old Trafford when Moyes was in charge? Would have loved that even more, didn't the Liverpool fans make a banner for Moyes? I remember watching it on the box and hearing the merciless piss taking from the Liverpool fans about Moyes towards the United fans. For them it was probably similar to when we had Hodgson, the media can say what they like, but in reality there is no fooling the match going supporters of either club, and they knew they'd bought a lemon.
:shite:

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2019, 05:38:11 pm »
“Two more for your hat trick Peteh”

:lmao

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2019, 05:51:25 pm »
Liverpool 3-2 ManCity 2014

Possibly the most emotional rollercoaster game I’ve ever been to. From the bus greet with everyone
sensing this could actually be ‘our year’, to the emotionally charged hillsbrough 25 year anniversary YNWA, followed by a first half of some of the most incredible possession football I’ve ever seen by Man City. They sliced right through us every 2 minutes looking like they’d score, I remember being so nervous that I literally clung on to the roof beam of the Kop (on the back row) the whole time to steady myself as my legs were trembling. Then the release of the winner ending, up two rows down on my face and walking out arm in arm with a stranger singing we’re going to win the league. Town was manic.

Then we won the league if I remember correctly.

I came to post about this one. I remember my whole body was shaking leaving the ground, the absolute let off when Coutinho scored. I thought we'd won it.

My other one, not so much a famous match, but one that springs immediately to mind for me:

Norwich City 4 - 5 Liverpool - January 2016. Lallana's last-minute winner and the away end went bonkers. I was furious when their 4-4 equaliser went in, "typical fucking Liverpool" running round my head, but that scuffed, scrambled, mishit winner... I'll never forget it.

I forget the rest of the day as it was an early kick-off and my train back to London didn't leave until gone 5, so I went into town to watch the 3pms and ended up having far more than I should have in a Norwich pub called The Murderers. Next thing I knew I was waking up hungover on the approach to Liverpool Street station with 4 cans of Adnam's Ghost Ship in front of me, only one of which was opened and quite warm.

Worth it.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2019, 06:51:37 pm »
2012 under Kenny when we played Spurs I got to see The Anfield Cat.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2019, 07:06:31 pm »
104 year old Liverpool fan on North West Tonight just now - I best he's seen a few famous games.  Saying he first went in 1923!   

Oh and Klopp sent him a loads of gifts.  He is going to the match tomorrow as well  ;D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-46916609
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:14:19 pm by In Fowler We Trust »
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2019, 07:09:05 pm »
104 year old Liverpool fan on North West Tonight just now - I best he's seen a few famous games.  Saying he first went in 1926!   

Oh and Klopp sent him a loads of gifts.  He is going to the match tomorrow as well  ;D

I should hope so, he’s the manager.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2019, 07:12:45 pm »
I should hope so, he’s the manager.

;D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2019, 07:20:10 pm »
To name a few:

Liverpool-Norwich 5-0 or was it 5-1? Doesn't matter, saw Suarez score 4 absolute worldies - my first ever LFC win.

Fulham-Liverpool 2-3, 2014 - was in the first row of the away end, when Stevie scored the 89th minute penalty, the whole end went just mad

Man City-Liverpool 1-4, one of the first games Kloppo was in charge, a brilliant day in the away end.

Maribor-Liverpool 0-7

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2019, 07:32:48 pm »
I was fortunate enough to be at the famous 5-0 win over Forest in 87/88. Was only 9 so although enthralled by it all I probably didn’t appreciate just how great a performance and team that was.

That’s my claim to fame too. Although, for balance, I was also at Wembley later that season

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2019, 09:16:47 pm »
I was at Highbury first game of the season 87-88. Beardsley was the signing I was excited about, but Barnes that day was a one-man dynamo. He got a bit of Union Jack shit from a few down the bottom corner by the gates bit they did get shouted out sharpish. They might have got a few punches, thinking back on it. I was up just in from the Clock End fence. It was a boiling hot day and we were glorious, and Barnes just kept charging forward. He was a beautiful juggernaut. God knows how it was still 1-1 with only a few minutes to go, presume Aldridge had scored for us, he started that season ferociously. We got a free-kick, at the away end, I said to them around me, we're gonna score, and we did, I have a feeling Nicol might have bundled it in, I'm not sure. But we were all leaping around sweaty and screaming and hugging,and I felt like a prophet for predicting we were going to score.

It's an important game because Barnes and Beardsley made their debuts, first game of that 29 unbeaten to the start of the season, matched the record with Leeds at the time. And we were just beautiful, a pulsating dream of a football side, with absolutely everything in our armour.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2019, 09:27:53 pm »
The old Park End at Goodison was an absolute dump. I didn't go there that often but remember the derby in 1993. Julian Dicks made his debut after a massive deal that included Mike Marsh and David Burrows in exchange. We got battered a really poor Everton team 2-0 with goals from Mark Ward and Tony Cottee. It was the game when Brucie and Steve McManaman had a fight on the pitch. This game was the final few months of Graeme Souness' reign as manager.

Things did get considerably better under Roy Evans. But the inability to beat Everton in the 1990's continued. We just couldn't beat them despite being a much better team. That was one of the things that really hurt during the 90's. That's why I'll never take for granted our current run against them. They are our biggest rivals. The game I want to win most. To not be able to beat them and have to meet Blues in your day to day life was hard work at the time..

Weird given our record now, that we were atrocious against them in the 90s[well 92 to 99], i remember Mike Walker getting the sack as there manager, Joe Royle was appointed there manager & we played them next match & promptly lost. 92/93 we played them at there place went 1-0 up midway in the second half, conceded an equaliser minutes later & promptly lost. :butt
#Sausages

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2019, 09:31:55 pm »
Do a stat or a formation thread and get 10 pages in 24 hours. Do a going the game thread and get less than 2 in 24 hours.

RAWK, the fans voice.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2019, 09:55:29 pm »
Whilst posting in the Everton thread recently, a few of us started getting rather nostalgic about some of the famous matches that we’d attended and it felt like we were drifting slightly off the topic of “taking the piss out of Everton”.

Link to us going off topic:-
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=315580.73440   

So I thought I’d create a spin off thread in the Liverpool forum to discuss your favourite memories of famous Liverpool matches that you have attended – your “I was there” moment if you like.

One of mine has to be the League cup tie at Anfield back in November ’85 against Manchester United, 1-0 down early on and it started to feel as if the game was slipping away from us as the minutes ticked by agonisingly. Then a wonderful individual run, dribble and strike from Molby before he sealed the victory with a late penalty.

It was a night match which wasn’t televised, but I was lucky enough to get a ticket probably via my season ticket voucher – I had to get there somehow. I was at college at the time and couldn’t drive, I had to get two buses and a train to the ground but managed to get there just as the match kicked off. The kop was packed to the rafters and I ended up right at the back on the top step, whereas normally on a Saturday I’d be there at 1:30pm at my spec behind the goal. I remember the huge sense of tension amongst the Kop crowd after going 1-0 down – these were our bogey team at the time, or so it felt. The game just seemed to be drifting away from us with them seemly being able to block all our routes forward and we just couldn’t get control of the game. For me the Molby goal just seemed to come out of the blue and I remember him picking the ball up around the half way line, beating a couple of players and continuing this powerful run straight towards their goal, with people shouting louder and louder “go-on, go-on” before unleashing an unstoppable thunderbolt from probably 20 yards. Absolutely mental celebrations in the ram jammed kop, jumping, shouting, punching the air! There was no way we were losing this now and sure enough a few minutes later Molby sealed it with the penalty, such a sweet victory against our arch rivals, I was buzzing for days afterwards.

Molby was a recent signing to partly full the massive void left by the departure of Souness and for me he’d been unconvincing up until then. I think this was the night he showed his true quality and the beginning of him eventually becoming an established Liverpool player.

As I say this wasn’t a televised match, nor was there any plans to even show the highlights believe it or not. However years later a video of the match turned up!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wSfMTK5XXU8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wSfMTK5XXU8</a>

I was in the Kemlyn for this game . My ticket was for by the half way line or somewhere but of course being the age I was a moved towards the away section and stood at the back of the Kemlyn. Cant remember much about it apart from Molby's goals. Someone said on here years ago that someone fired a flare at the Mancs and it got stuck in the stanchion above them and showered down on them .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2019, 09:58:01 pm »
Was at all of them myself, except for the Wayne Clarke match thankfully.

Was at all of them part from Auxuere and Bristol.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2019, 10:00:19 pm »
I was at Highbury first game of the season 87-88. Beardsley was the signing I was excited about, but Barnes that day was a one-man dynamo. He got a bit of Union Jack shit from a few down the bottom corner by the gates bit they did get shouted out sharpish. They might have got a few punches, thinking back on it. I was up just in from the Clock End fence. It was a boiling hot day and we were glorious, and Barnes just kept charging forward. He was a beautiful juggernaut. God knows how it was still 1-1 with only a few minutes to go, presume Aldridge had scored for us, he started that season ferociously. We got a free-kick, at the away end, I said to them around me, we're gonna score, and we did, I have a feeling Nicol might have bundled it in, I'm not sure. But we were all leaping around sweaty and screaming and hugging,and I felt like a prophet for predicting we were going to score.

It's an important game because Barnes and Beardsley made their debuts, first game of that 29 unbeaten to the start of the season, matched the record with Leeds at the time. And we were just beautiful, a pulsating dream of a football side, with absolutely everything in our armour.

Nicol might have bundled it in...was a header from the edge of the box!

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2019, 10:03:14 pm »
The one I never shut up about.

The Arsenal cup reply in 89 at Villa . The highlights are on youtube but cant seem to post it .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2019, 10:05:53 pm »
Nicol might have bundled it in...was a header from the edge of the box!

Last minute too.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2019, 10:35:32 pm »
Do a stat or a formation thread and get 10 pages in 24 hours. Do a going the game thread and get less than 2 in 24 hours.

RAWK, the fans voice.

Are aye, your sounding a bit bitter there Chopper lad. Maybe just stick to the Everton threads eh?  ;D

:shite:

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2019, 10:40:25 pm »

I remember hearing Aldridge talking about playing with Barnes and Beardsley in pre-season and realising, -  wow we've really got something going here. Amazing side - as fans we couldn't wait for the next match to come around.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2019, 10:44:14 pm »
Riise and Garcia screamers to put us in the FA Cup Final at Old Trafford. Putting Chelsea away at United was something special

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2019, 10:44:58 pm »
Think my favourite two were 9-0 Palace (nice timing to remember), 7-0 Spurs with the Terry Mac goal still my favourite goal seen live.
Was also there when Gerrard scored a belter against the Mancs and I think Murphy got sent off but we held on to win.
Great memories.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2019, 11:27:43 pm »
Just watched that Villa Park Arsenal game. Fuckin ell. What a game and what an atmosphere. The way we smelled blood in the second half especially.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2019, 11:43:00 pm »
Just watched that Villa Park Arsenal game. Fuckin ell. What a game and what an atmosphere. The way we smelled blood in the second half especially.

Our support that night was amazing..everyone getting behind the tram.

Offline HeWonItFromBrock

• Main Stander
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2019, 11:45:46 pm »
What a game that was - 2nd replay in 3rd round of the League Cup, how times have changed!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2019, 11:47:52 pm »
Think my favourite two were 9-0 Palace (nice timing to remember), 7-0 Spurs with the Terry Mac goal still my favourite goal seen live.
Was also there when Gerrard scored a belter against the Mancs and I think Murphy got sent off but we held on to win.
Great memories.

Here's the Terry McDermott goal in all its glory, Johnson with a gorgeous pass, Highway with a brilliant cross and a terrific finish from McDermott. One end of the field to another in seconds.

https://youtu.be/vOB7pcqBH-Y
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"