Author Topic: Windows 10, professional spyware.  (Read 100390 times)

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Re: Windows 10 free upgrade, even if your copy if pirated
« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2015, 11:48:02 am »
Not officially I think. I was on 10162 and updated through that to 10240. I had a look on the insider site to see if I could download the ISO for 10240 and MS have removed the downloads page and say they aren't 'onboarding any new PC's' so close to the release date although you can still update any PC's already set up on the insider program, whatever that means.

I had concerns about transfer of licences and activation but the EULA for 10240 (you can find it by searching for/running the command winver) looks the same as Windows 8.1 in that regard ie if your underlying licence for win 7/8.1 is transferable then the free upgrade to 10 is as well. And it appears that there will be a 10-year support cycle for W10 as for previous windows versions:

http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft-addresses-windows-10-subscription-fears-with-10-year-support-commitment/

although it's only officially supported if it's fully updated. Not something that is relevant to Home users as they'll be getting updates whether they like it or not. Pro users can delay updates by up to 8 months, any longer than that and they stop receiving them and the installation stops being supported. Also, "supported for the lifetime of the device" appears to mean that if your W10 installation is on an old PC/Tablet or whatever, and a future upgrade breaks the OS because of a lack of old hardware support, then you're screwed. BUT as long as it's not OEM/preinstalled then you should be able to transfer the licence to another device instead. I think.

Anyway, Windows 10 itself is really very good. I'm running it on an old Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (2.6GHz dual core)/2GB RAM build and it absolutely pisses on Win 7. A few UI annoyances (slightly blurry text due to the old barely-supported video card) and e-mails that I've already read and deleted still appearing in the notification centre and the like (that may be because I read my outlook emails through chrome and not through the MS mail app) but I reckon 10 is continuing the microsoft good/shite OS cycle.

Am I right in thinking you could disable updates entirely with the Enterprise edition? Definitely looks like Microsoft are going down the service route.

I took the plunge and grabbed the 10240 build (which is heavily rumoured to be the RTM anyway), love the slickness of it all... I had tried a build around a year ago and wasn't impressed.

A few things:

Remove OneDrive from Windows 10:
https://techjourney.net/disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-completely-in-windows-10/

Removing 'QuickAccess':
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-quick-access-aka-home-view-in-windows-10-file-explorer/
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4844-quick-access-navigation-pane-add-remove-windows-10-a.html

Also noticed Xbox app that is on there by default (and reinstalls itself if you remove it in PowerShell). This has caused me some problems with games due to the game DVR feature. Open msconfig.exe, goto services and de-select all the Xbox services.

For anyone who's grabbed the 10240 build, this is how you activate it:

Spoiler
Type the following command and hit the Enter key:
slmgr /ipk W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX
Wait for the message box popup that the key is installed.

Now type the following command and press Enter
slmgr /skms kms.xspace.in
Again, wait for the message box.

Finally, enter the following command:
slmgr /ato
[close]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:49:49 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: Windows 10, it's not too shabby
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2015, 11:19:15 am »
Is it known yet if the keylogger from one of the earlier builds has been removed?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2015, 12:47:55 pm »
Ark and Rocket League a bit buggy for me, might be down to AMD drivers so I'm going to leave it a couple of months before doing a full switch. Should be long enough for updates and drivers to mature.
:D

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2015, 04:00:31 pm »
Looking forward to the phone version of windows 10! The continuum feature which turns your phone into a pc by attaching a monitor through hdmi and bluetooth input devices, voila.
Phuk yoo

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2015, 09:30:11 am »
So have people downloaded this now? And is it worthwhile?

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2015, 05:02:30 pm »

It's not officially out until next Wednesday, but I've been using the final build via the technical preview since it came out of the 15th July and it's running perfectly for me.

As someone who's used Windows 7, 8 & 8.1, I'd advise anyone on those versions to make use of the free update, it's a big improvement.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2015, 11:23:44 pm »
Thanks Jason.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2015, 11:40:11 pm »
What's the latest on the pirate copies? Asking for a friend....

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2015, 12:45:15 pm »
Is it known yet if the keylogger from one of the earlier builds has been removed?

From what I understand it's not a keylogger in the malware sense at all, but I don't have the technical knowledge to back that up, I just googled 'Windows 10 keylogger'. And that whatever it is is locked on in insider builds for feedback to microsoft as is the point of test builds. It can be turned off in the general release version. Funnily enough I just checked the settings in the 10240 'RTM' insider build I'm running and under the privacy>feedback settings it says 'The Windows Insider Programme manages this option' so the insider build IS different.

Think it's a wait-and-see situation. There's stuff about like kmspico but if I can find that easily then I'm sure microsoft are aware of it and I'm guessing that mandatory updates are going to make piracy a pain the arse over and over again in a constant game of cat and mouse, never mind the malware versions of hacks that you may accidentally download. If you, sorry, your friend wants to risk breaking your OS every time it updates itself, it may be better to just legitimately run an insider build on the slow ring. Who knows.

EDIT: Also it depends what you're actually asking, whether 10 can be pirated or whether pirated 7/8.1 can be upgraded?

Anyway, back to W10 itself, it looks like the expected problems with mandatory updates have started.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/

Basically, people with nvidia GPUs are finding that the nvidia software and windows update are competing to auto-install their own 'latest driver' (which aren't the same version numbers) in an endless loop and breaking multimonitor and SLI setups. Also for SLI, only one driver install is required for both cards but Windows is installing two instances and causing problems. Microsoft should be deferring to the manufacturers on this one, they know their own products best. At least make driver updates through windows update optional and allow rolling back to earlier versions as people often need to do when a new driver breaks something. I'll certainly be waiting until this sort of shit is fixed before I upgrade my main PCs.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:06:56 pm by reniformis »
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2015, 12:56:44 pm »

I can get you a genuine license for Windows 7 if you want which you can then upgrade to 10.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2015, 01:02:14 pm »
I can get you a genuine license for Windows 7 if you want which you can then upgrade to 10.
Do pirate Win7 copies no longer qualify for free Win10?

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2015, 01:12:17 pm »

Not genuine and activated, no. It can be upgraded but you'd end up with a non-genuine 10 installation and whatever restrictions that comes with. Presumably nagware, watermarks, crippled updates, forced reboots every 2 hours or whatever.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2015, 01:13:42 pm »

As reniformis said above, it's unclear.  As I understand it, pirated versions will still be able to upgrade but it will still be 'pirated' and therefore possibly won't get updates or maybe won't have access to some features.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2015, 03:10:27 pm »

I actually tried the preview on some crappy atom-based netbook I have here and even that level of hardware seems to run better than it did on win7.

It has run fine on the normal spec machine I tried it on and seems to address most of the issues people had with win8/8.1

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2015, 08:28:53 am »
When is it coming? Still no sign of the c*nt. I am a disappoint.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2015, 02:11:43 pm »
When is it coming? Still no sign of the c*nt. I am a disappoint.
Officially tomorrow but you might still be waiting for weeks after for the update on your machine
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2015, 12:05:04 am »
Officially tomorrow but you might still be waiting for weeks after for the update on your machine
c*nt's, I'll just buy it, if it doesn't turn up tomorrow. Ł99? the cost of a couple of coffee's and a bun in London these days.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2015, 06:18:31 am »
Just this very second upgrade its a little strange right now.

I didn't get a message to tell me it was there I thought I would check went setting, windows updates and it told be it was ready to download.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2015, 06:48:56 am »
I love the weather part of it and the sports center.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:00:53 am by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2015, 10:20:12 am »
Anyone know how you can force the download?
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2015, 10:35:40 am »
Anyone know how you can force the download?

Some one put this guide up dont know if it works or not.

http://www.redmondpie.com/force-download-windows-10-free-upgrade-right-now-heres-how-tutorial/

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2015, 10:43:14 am »
Can we get an ISO to do a clean install with?

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2015, 10:49:50 am »
I'm running Windows 8.1 but as yet i haven't had the windows icon come up on the bottom of my screen. How do i get the update? Is it just a question of waiting? Cheers

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2015, 11:06:46 am »
I've  had a Windows 10 Update - failed. error 80240020  4 times now...

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2015, 11:15:48 am »
Some one put this guide up dont know if it works or not.

http://www.redmondpie.com/force-download-windows-10-free-upgrade-right-now-heres-how-tutorial/

Thanks.  It's working.  Downloading now :)

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #186 on: July 29, 2015, 02:27:43 pm »

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: July 29, 2015, 02:49:51 pm »
has anyone been able to get vpn client working on windows 10 ?

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2015, 04:19:13 pm »
Can we get an ISO to do a clean install with?

From what I've read, you need to do the update first so it registers your (Win 7/8) key as a valid Win10 key, then you can do a fresh install and use that key to validate the new install.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: July 29, 2015, 04:30:14 pm »
Didn't get the update, kept showing failed, so after some research downloaded and installing this via my USB.:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2267-windows-10-upgrade-installation.html#step12

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2015, 04:31:04 pm »
From what I've read, you need to do the update first so it registers your (Win 7/8) key as a valid Win10 key, then you can do a fresh install and use that key to validate the new install.

I believe you can update 7/8.1 using the ISO (provided you've downloaded the right version for your current OS - 32/64 Home/Pro), activate it then do a fresh install with the same ISO, saving a double download. I'll be trying it that way, just downloaded the ISO now for my non-insider PC's. Don't know if reserving a copy means you've already committed your PC to updating through windows update though?

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2015, 04:53:38 pm »
updated my Desktop using http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Now in the process on doing the laptop!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2015, 04:57:33 pm »
I'm sure this is obvious, but I can update my windows 7 free?

Is my four year old laptop going to handle it?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2015, 05:10:11 pm »
updated my Desktop using http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Now in the process on doing the laptop!

Used this link as well. Took a while but now up and running. Does anyone know how to get Cortana to speak back to you. At the moment it just opens Edge with the Bing page

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #194 on: July 29, 2015, 05:21:49 pm »

It'll likely run better on Windows 10 than on 7. You can upgrade for free, do you have the little windows icon at the bottom right of your taskbar?

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: July 29, 2015, 05:22:57 pm »

If your machine runs windows 7 then it will be fine on win 10 and might even run a bit better on win 10.

I tried the preview on some crappy atom-based netbook (5-6 years old) I had lying around and its running better than it was before, albeit that might be the usual speedboost from a fresh windows install, but in any case it is coping with win10 fine.

Another thing to bear in mind, you can roll back to your previous OS in the first month if you want anyway.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2015, 05:22:59 pm »
It'll likely run better on Windows 10 than on 7. You can upgrade for free, do you have the little windows icon at the bottom right of your taskbar?
Havent used it for a while, so I will check later!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2015, 05:28:02 pm »
Can't get nvidia drivers to work either through windows update or nvidia site...

Offline coops

• Main Stander
« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2015, 05:35:52 pm »
Can't get nvidia drivers to work either through windows update or nvidia site...

Had the same and it still seems a bit funky with multiple monitors.  Rebooting fixed the driver issue for me.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2015, 06:02:33 pm »
Had the same and it still seems a bit funky with multiple monitors.  Rebooting fixed the driver issue for me.
Cheers it seems to have loaded, via Win update, but where has my nvidia control panel right-click gone?