Author Topic: Job interview - Tips  (Read 65082 times)

Herby

Re: Job interview - Tips
« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2014, 03:43:21 pm »

Well as it turns out I'm actually having to be honest with company 1 about a different thing now. Company 2 offered me a job yesterday after interviewing me just last Thursday (absolutely chuffed - now waiting up to 10 days for the formal offer). Meanwhile company 1 who were supposed to get back to me after 2-3 weeks will have had a full 5 weeks tomorrow without telling me anything. So I rang them again yesterday telling them I need to know if they are going to give me an offer as I've just been offered a job elsewhere... and again the person I needed to speak to wasn't available so I got the same old "they'll be in touch soon".  :butt
Then jib company 1 off immediately

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2014, 05:18:04 pm »
I have about 12 years experience in my field, and I am applying for jobs that match what I did about 3-4 years ago, and still I only hear back from about 10% of applications.

Been out of work since start of April and have an interview at last on Friday.

Feels like forever.

Those of you that have been out of work for a while you have my sympathies, I completely understand how hard it is even to get an interview, let alone be prepared enough for attending plenty of them.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2014, 05:35:08 pm »
Just had an interview with my local health board back home, didn't go well! Just stumbled my way around a couple of the questions and kept blabbering away on one of them. Fairly sure I won't get the job which is a shame cos I'd love to move back home.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2014, 06:05:10 pm »
I have about 12 years experience in my field, and I am applying for jobs that match what I did about 3-4 years ago, and still I only hear back from about 10% of applications.

Been out of work since start of April and have an interview at last on Friday.

Feels like forever.

Those of you that have been out of work for a while you have my sympathies, I completely understand how hard it is even to get an interview, let alone be prepared enough for attending plenty of them.

Being nosey, but what field are you in?

Best of luck for Friday.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: June 19, 2014, 12:18:22 pm »

I use Calibri in my CV, looks good imo. Love how they used wrestling as an example btw :D

If sending over a Word, Excel or PDF to a recruiter or company, use Arial, Helvetica, Verdana or Tahoma. Calibri looks great, but not all computers have it installed. Where a computer does not recognize a font, it will revert to its default font e.g. Times New Roman and mess up your formatting as a result.

Which of the 4 x fonts you use is up to you, all are good. Avoid Comic Sans at all costs.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2014, 12:24:08 pm »
If sending over a Word, Excel or PDF to a recruiter or company, use Arial, Helvetica, Verdana or Tahoma. Calibri looks great, but not all computers have it installed. Where a computer does not recognize a font, it will revert to its default font e.g. Times New Roman and mess up your formatting as a result.

Which of the 4 x fonts you use is up to you, all are good. Avoid Comic Sans at all costs.
Nothing wrong with Times New Roman either.
XBL: Flash6289

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2014, 04:48:03 pm »
Being nosey, but what field are you in?

Best of luck for Friday.

I'm an Event Manager Claire.  Done it for big clients, hotels, financial institutions.  It's hard because there isn't loads of money unless you're in a semi-senior position or at a very profitable company.  So because of that, the money I want, they don't necessarily pay.

Saw a job advertised as £competitive - wants 5 years experience, e.t.c.  £14,700 they were offering.  I mean come on.

Offline Kuks

• ugare
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: June 19, 2014, 06:42:27 pm »
Nothing wrong with Times New Roman either.

There is if you do your whole CV in Calibri and it defaults to TNR on the other person's computer. It messes up your positioning and formatting.

Best thing to do is to save it as a PDF. You really can't go wrong there.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #208 on: June 19, 2014, 06:43:40 pm »
Had an interview today and the second question threw me right off. Such a curveball of a question for a dumb fucker like me.

Put me off, couldn't find my pace and pretty much rambled my way through the rest of it.

Will someone please lie to me and tell me that I don't know the outcome of the interview yet so I can make some innapropriate response such as:

"Oh fuck off! - The Titanic went down better than I did today".
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:47:09 pm by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #209 on: June 19, 2014, 07:35:40 pm »
What was the question?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2014, 07:36:07 pm »
There is if you do your whole CV in Calibri and it defaults to TNR on the other person's computer. It messes up your positioning and formatting.

Same mate, PDF all the way. I think it looks more professional as well.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #211 on: June 20, 2014, 12:04:27 am »

Yeah I meant writing it in TNR in the first place.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: June 20, 2014, 10:27:59 am »
Had an interview today and the second question threw me right off. Such a curveball of a question for a dumb fucker like me.

Put me off, couldn't find my pace and pretty much rambled my way through the rest of it.

Will someone please lie to me and tell me that I don't know the outcome of the interview yet so I can make some innapropriate response such as:

"Oh fuck off! - The Titanic went down better than I did today".
Those type of questions are very common at interviews nowadays, they like to catch you off guard to see whether you're awake and alert. One of my mates was having a good interview when all of a sudden the interviewer asks him "can I have your Facebook name?" He didn't even know what to say, completely caught him off guard. Think he ended up giving the interview his Facebook profile link but thankfully for him it was on private.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: June 20, 2014, 12:00:32 pm »
got asked "Whats 13x13" before I even sat down once. Panicked and got it wrong haha. Needless to say I didnt get the job.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #214 on: June 20, 2014, 12:32:41 pm »
Then jib company 1 off immediately
Company 1 finally got back to me yesterday and are "looking to" offer me a permanent position (so not on the grad scheme) but first want me to visit the site and to discuss the role with my potential future managers. This is after attending an assessment centre which one of the managers wasn't able to attend. So I've been told it's an "informal" meeting for me to decide whether I want the job and to meet the manager I've not met.

So obviously it's not as informal as they make out as depending on how it goes will also decide for them whether they want to actually offer me the job... so has anyone had any experience of these kinds of meetings? I don't think I should wear a suit as that's formal but I'm not sure I should casually rock up in jeans and a t-shirt either? So should I go in a smart shirt and trousers, with or without a tie? :-\

Herby

« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2014, 01:01:50 pm »
Just dress smart/casual, that'll be fine.

I've done this before - remember, they are competing with "company 2" now, so let them know that and you interview them rather than they interview you.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2014, 03:02:43 pm »
Just dress smart/casual, that'll be fine.

I've done this before - remember, they are competing with "company 2" now, so let them know that and you interview them rather than they interview you.
They know now that I have another offer (I told them in order to get the meeting arranged asap) and HR did also ask what the other company was offering me as a salary and I stupidly(?) told the truth. I realised almost straight after saying it that I could have easily said more without them knowing... :butt She just said it would be more than they are offering but didn't say how much. ???

So if they go over the salary again when I visit how should I go about telling them I would want a bigger salary with them? As the truth is that I prefer the location for the other job (closer to friends and family, less remote, etc.) so should I just say that in the hope that they'll offer more to get me? Or would I just look like I'm probably not going to be there for long as I've already admitted it's not my preferred location...?

BTW it might not be coming across that way but I am absolutely chuffed with getting offers from both interviews - I just never expected to have a decision to make and it's a difficult one.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: June 23, 2014, 10:39:54 am »
Got my first interview in over a year today, well - today's an "assessment task session" with the panel interview on Thursday.

Bricking it. It's a 33% pay jump from my current job (and a lot more interesting looking to boot). Spending the morning picking cat hair off my suit...

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #218 on: June 23, 2014, 10:41:20 am »
Got my first interview in over a year today, well - today's an "assessment task session" with the panel interview on Thursday.

Bricking it. It's a 33% pay jump from my current job (and a lot more interesting looking to boot). Spending the morning picking cat hair off my suit...
Good luck!  :thumbup

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: June 23, 2014, 11:34:15 am »
Can't be bothered to tell my boss face-to face that I'm leaving for better job elsewhere. Is it OK to tell him via email or best to do it in person?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2014, 07:30:35 pm »
Do it in person.  Never burn bridges like that.  You never know if you'll need that person or that company again.  It's never worth the risk.

EDIT: Obviously put something in writing, but make sure you inform your boss the correct way - it will be better for you in the long run.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2014, 07:39:13 pm »
Do it in person.  Never burn bridges like that.  You never know if you'll need that person or that company again.  It's never worth the risk.

EDIT: Obviously put something in writing, but make sure you inform your boss the correct way - it will be better for you in the long run.

+ if you work in a specific industry, you never know who your boss is mates with!

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #222 on: June 23, 2014, 07:44:11 pm »
+ if you work in a specific industry, you never know who your boss is mates with!

Very good point.  I've heard a few spiteful stories in my time.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #223 on: June 23, 2014, 09:38:08 pm »
What was the question?

What is 40% of 8 hours?

I snapped at it and said:

Spoiler

[close]

I doubt i'll be getting the job.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #224 on: June 23, 2014, 11:52:55 pm »
Can't be bothered to tell my boss face-to face that I'm leaving for better job elsewhere. Is it OK to tell him via email or best to do it in person?

Or you could take the position of never really leaving like our friend here in Office Space.  As you can see he is reds fan. 

Really, I want to wish you good luck, mate.

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2014, 05:06:29 pm »
Fucked off after my interview today.

Had two people from the place I was interviewing for who were nice, and then an absolute horror show of a person from the recruitment company. She interrupted every answer to tell me to hurry up as we were "behind time", and then at the end she goes on about me "rushing my answers". At one point she tells me I haven't answered the question, I then say I think I have and repeat more or less exactly what I said and she asks why I didn't say that in the first place - I did.

Pisses me off though - it's fine having a difficult interview, but why make it into an argument??

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2014, 06:36:34 pm »
Fucked off after my interview today.

Had two people from the place I was interviewing for who were nice, and then an absolute horror show of a person from the recruitment company. She interrupted every answer to tell me to hurry up as we were "behind time", and then at the end she goes on about me "rushing my answers". At one point she tells me I haven't answered the question, I then say I think I have and repeat more or less exactly what I said and she asks why I didn't say that in the first place - I did.

Pisses me off though - it's fine having a difficult interview, but why make it into an argument??

Keep your head up, you never know, the other interviewers may have liked you. For my current job I thought after both interviews that I wasn't going to return to the extent that after both interviews when the recruiters called I told them I knew I wasn't getting the position. What job was it you interviewed for?

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2014, 06:51:58 pm »
So, heard back from said job THREE weeks after first interviewing to be told I didn't get it - fair. But also that it's their policy not to give any feedback. I went in for two interviews, taking two days off work for it, and they can't be arsed to spend five minutes putting together a personalised response. c*nts.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #228 on: July 25, 2014, 03:31:41 pm »
not for me but someone I know applying for a teaching position

does anyone put their picture on resumes these days ?????

its a pretty woman applying to a field of predominantly women

i feel it could go two ways

pictures shows she is nice and normal and pretty

could be discriminated against by less attractive women in positions of authority in recruitment

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 25, 2014, 03:34:18 pm »
not for me but someone I know applying for a teaching position

does anyone put their picture on resumes these days ?????

its a pretty woman applying to a field of predominantly women

i feel it could go two ways

pictures shows she is nice and normal and pretty

could be discriminated against by less attractive women in positions of authority in recruitment

Unless you're applying to be a model/it's asked for why would you need to provide a picture?? Definitely take it off!

Offline Kuks

• ugare
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #230 on: July 25, 2014, 04:00:08 pm »
Unless you're applying to be a model/it's asked for why would you need to provide a picture?? Definitely take it off!

This works two ways I feel. I've seen in Western countries, putting a picture on your resume is a no=no and I can see why.

But in the East - India as an example, I've reviewed tons of CVs with pictures on them. I think it depends on the country

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #231 on: July 25, 2014, 04:16:14 pm »
thanks for the replies

i just think a happy smiling face may give a good impression

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #232 on: August 4, 2014, 02:21:35 pm »
Going on an 'assessment day' tomorrow for a job/role which I've evidently been shortlisted for, a graduate scheme in higher education.  If I progress through that successfully, a presentation and interview follow a few days later.  Four posts are available.

Tomorrow comprises a tour, a group task, and two tests.  An hour put aside for each.  I've already completed an online personality questionairre (two hundered lots of true/?/false and always/sometimes/maybe types).

I did already call to suss out whether any further info was available but not so.  I'm presuming that one test will be a handful of shorter psychometric tests, and the other a longer 'e-tray exercise'.   Practiced a bit of both, and have though about 'behaviour' ahead of the group task.

Any advice from those who've done similar days, and/or would you consider my presumptions about the tests to be correct?

Cheers

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #233 on: August 7, 2014, 02:05:45 pm »
Had an interview on Tuesday for a job I would really really like, and would set me up on my way for the next 5-10 years up the career ladder in my profession.

Thought it was going OK, got great compliments on my academics and had a brief chat about Liverpool, then he pipes up and says:

"Are you nervous? Just wanted to say you're coming across a little nervous. Just telling you in case you aren't sucessful this time and you have to interview somewhere else[/i]

Which put me off my game completely. Argh why the fuck would you say that?!
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #234 on: September 3, 2014, 11:05:42 am »
Finally found a job.  Been out of work since April and start new role tomorrow.

Went to 2nd Interview and met General Manager, but it was all pretty relaxed and they seemed made up to have someone with my experience apply for the role,  (I'm an Event Manager) almost felt like they were trying to sell the venue to me.

Anyway good luck everyone, it's a nightmare.  As I mentioned before I have nearly 10 years experience in my field and has taken me almost 5 months to find something. 

Keep positive 8)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #235 on: September 3, 2014, 01:50:00 pm »
Had an interview on Tuesday for a job I would really really like, and would set me up on my way for the next 5-10 years up the career ladder in my profession.

Thought it was going OK, got great compliments on my academics and had a brief chat about Liverpool, then he pipes up and says:

"Are you nervous? Just wanted to say you're coming across a little nervous. Just telling you in case you aren't sucessful this time and you have to interview somewhere else[/i]

Which put me off my game completely. Argh why the fuck would you say that?!

Didn't get it haha.

Did get a job from an interview yesterday though. Another weird one.

Went to interview yesterday for Role A. Get there and there's an unexpected person in the room, who happens to have Role B available and is just surveying the interviews.

I prefer role A to role B. More interesting and more money.

Today I get a call, Role A is given to someone else but they'd like to give me role B.

I told them I'd let them know by Friday. I'll ring them tomorrow and ask them to match role A's money :)

Interview tip from this would be : Pay equal attention to everyone on the panel/in the room on the employer side
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: September 3, 2014, 01:54:59 pm »
How does everyone feel about group interviews? Ie are there any things in particular I should make sure I do or pay attention to? Got one for a Conference Producer role next week and I want to come across well (its for a relatively young and hip media company).

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 7, 2014, 07:41:48 pm »
Im fine on interviews, dont need advice on that but i want genuine views on whats appropriate beard or stubble wise for an interview!?

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 7, 2014, 08:41:11 pm »
Got my sixth interview in the last month and a half next week. Trying to make the step up into a first managerial role and keep being second/third. Keep tending to ramble rather than answering the questions properly, irritating...

Offline laximaginationzzz

• Kopite
« Reply #239 on: September 7, 2014, 08:48:23 pm »
Im fine on interviews, dont need advice on that but i want genuine views on whats appropriate beard or stubble wise for an interview!?
Depends on the role... Some people would frown upon a beard if it looked scruffy (I know)
LFC. YNWA. JFT96.