Author Topic: Job interview - Tips  (Read 65071 times)

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
Re: Job interview - Tips
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2014, 04:03:46 pm »
Good luck fella, a lot of folk i know shit their brick when going for interviews, but i've always felt it's far easier if you consider it 'just a conversation' - i've no doubt i've looked an arrogant son of a bitch as i've leant back in my chair, legs crossed... but at the end of the day, without the pint, its just a chat about you's and them - as you would down the pub over a pint.

All the best mate.
Big no-no's so I've been told. Apparently need open body language and a small forward lean?
XBL: Flash6289

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2014, 04:13:51 pm »
Big no-no's so I've been told. Apparently need open body language and a small forward lean?

In all fairness mate you prolly right, i mirrored my now boss. He laid back, and crossed his legs, it's just what i do naturally, so i followed suit. Yes the body language creates a barrier, but it also says 'i'm relaxed and i got this'
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2014, 01:21:03 pm »
Hi, I'm in a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate any help. I have a 2nd interview for a entry level Data Analyst position and I have been set a task of creating a presentation from a spreadsheet with various tabs of data reports. There has been no brief other than that and this is something I haven't done before. Does anyone have advice as to how I can tackle this?

Herby

« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2014, 01:36:35 pm »
Had my 2nd interview (over the phone due to location) on Friday and it went well.
I think well enough for my future boss to set up the "next phase".

Now I have 4 separate interviews with 4 Department Heads over the phone.

I've got an idea on my "strategy" and I will share some slides with them.

Anyone have any tips/advice?

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2014, 01:49:06 pm »
I read this whole thread in preparing for my interviews. Had 2 phone interviews , a group interview and a final interview - and this thread was really helpful.

Got a call yesterday, that they're going to do a background check before the next stage - which is the offer. I'm assuming this is a good sign, as they wouldn't waste money on a background check if they weren't interested? Also assume that a background check is pretty standard since I'm applying for a job at a bank?

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2014, 01:51:24 pm »
Hi, I'm in a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate any help. I have a 2nd interview for a entry level Data Analyst position and I have been set a task of creating a presentation from a spreadsheet with various tabs of data reports. There has been no brief other than that and this is something I haven't done before. Does anyone have advice as to how I can tackle this?

No clue about what your role entails, but I'm assuming since you're applying you have some knowledge of it. Might be worth just doing a bit of research on the company, and what kind of things you might be dealing with at that company. Presentation would just have something to do with how you would critically evaluate the data at hand, and your interpretation of it I assume?

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2014, 06:32:17 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I'm actually supposed to present for between 10-15mins and I'm concerned of being in a situation where I have perhaps over analysed things. I also have another 2nd interview later that day so this is going to be a struggle.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2014, 11:52:18 pm »

Firstly, congratulations!

Now to the job at hand...

First, you actually need to analyse the data. What is it telling you? Are there any trends you can spot? Any odd data points that don't fit the general pattern? Can these be explained?

Next would be; what message do you want to tell with the presentation? Who is the audience? For example, a presentation to senior management would be simpler, highlighting key data points and bringing out the importance of the data, adding context about the company, the market and its competitors to bring some insight that they can use and act off. Ideally, what would you want your audience to come away thinking about your presentation? What is the "call to action"? Also, don't forget, you can (and usually should) add the raw data tables in an appendix.

Now you know what message you want your audience to come away with, it's down to structure the presentation to get the audience to that point. One way of structuring the presentation is to tell a story. Engage the audience at the start with a key piece of information that they won't have heard before, "In the last quarter, we made £10m compared with our closest competitor who made £100m. Why?". Then you can describe the data to back up the claim. Next would be, "OK. Why is this happening?". Then you can talk about some market research, for example. Finally, "What can we do about it?". This is the call-to-action I was talking about before. The audience is energised to do something that you have recommended based on your data analysis.

Naturally, this all depends on the type of data that you have been given. :)

In terms of presenting charts and data tables, beware of using the standard Excel and PowerPoint ones. They are not well-designed. The term "chartjunk" has been coined to describe all these little additions to charts and tables that add no value and distract from the message.

For example, for charts:

and for tables:

Source: http://darkhorseanalytics.com/blog/

Herby

« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2014, 03:44:18 am »
Why doe sit say "No more Calibri"?

I always use Calibri font

Offline Thush

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2014, 08:19:07 am »
Why doe sit say "No more Calibri"?

I always use Calibri font

Calibri is my default font too in the absence of a proper corporate font or as a replacement for Arial. I think that is the (minor) point though; that a lot of people use Calibri like that. I'm less worried about that advice than the rest of the more useful stuff in the gif.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2014, 02:48:07 pm »
I use Calibri in my CV, looks good imo. Love how they used wrestling as an example btw :D

Offline Thush

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2014, 03:11:19 pm »
When I'm creating my own stuff for PDF output (like CVs), I'll use a more distinctive font than Calibri. I've used a good few free ones from here: http://www.fontspace.com/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 05:00:02 pm by Thush »

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2014, 04:55:10 pm »
Hi, thanks for your reply and advice, at this stage I can't say there is something I want to talk about just yet. I've been given industry specific data and that has been confusing for me as I have to make sense of it without any brief in advance.I plan on just analyzing as much information i feel is relevant and then deciding from there. This is effectively an entry level position so I imagine there won't be too much expectation. However I would love to impress even if it's not the right position for me.

As I stated in a earlier post, I have 2 second interviews next week, would I appear to be scruffy if I wear the same suit from the first interview? My brother does have a suit which fits me, however it doesn't look as good.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Thush

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2014, 05:01:25 pm »
Same suit is fine. You could just have a different coloured tie to switch it around a little.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2014, 10:21:41 pm »
All the best mate.
Thanks. I got the job.

The job is as a data analyst just like Nando09. Thank God I didn't have to do a presentation though as that would have been much more nerve wrecking for me. What they basically did was explain the role and asked me questions to find out if I understood what they were on about and fill in blanks as to why it was being done, etc.

Good luck Nando09. :)

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2014, 10:47:15 am »
Congratulations you Lucky Bastard, I'm pulling my hair out here!! Hope the job goes well for you.

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2014, 05:02:09 pm »
Messed up on the presentation, only got a chance to finish it about 10 mins before going to interview which is frustrating. I actually would have been/ would be happy to do it again, if I had more prep time. I don't think I've got the position but, we'll see.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2014, 06:24:38 pm »
Congratulations (and good luck to you, Nando). 

Thought I'd drop in regarding presentations, as an analyst you have a glass ceiling if you're unable to present to management and peers - being the best-informed person in the room is only useful if you can summarise and pass that information on to the decision makers.

Thule's post on producing presentations and making sure you develop a narrative alongside are excellent and I shall not say the same thing twice, but I shall address anxiety a little bit and how understand that.

Fundamentally, practicing presenting, put yourself in the situations you hate and learn to accept a failure so you can learn to laugh at yourself and move on whilst learning from it.  As an analyst you should already have a curiosity towards life anyway, so consider this process an opportunity to look at yourself, and find out what causes you to fuck up/fear fucking up.  Is it fear of failure? Is that failure considered a poor presentation (trainable), or is it being asked a question and not knowing the answer (again, trainable) l

If you're single, I'd recommend learning to approach women as a good skill as there are many similarities with presenting.  You can't control their reaction to the situation in either case, yet you can guide it, and being able to reply to rejection/failure in a good natured and positive way are both useful skills.  Especially when you are going to be presenting in front of others who note not just the information but how you present it.  Additionally, being able to talk to senior management in a relaxed manner will make them notice you quickly, and is really no different to talking to a very beautiful woman in some ways.  Your brain is going to be saying "don't fuck this up" and you are going to feel anxiety, so just get used to it through experience till it eventually fades.

Just take every opportunity which presents itself, challenge yourself.  If it's someone's birthday, suggest a toast, if it's your birthday, stand up and thank people for coming.  If it's a funeral of a loved one and you really want to stand and present a euology but not sure if you can, do so.    If you ever think "Maybe I should say something..", use that as a key to help open that lock properly.

Lastly, Thule posts appear to cover most over themes as I've already stated.   From that post: 'consistent precision' was the phrase which most firmly resonated what you're trying to get across.  Use your language well, use your presentation well to accentuate that, and less is more in many cases.  Many clients hate overly wordy 'summaries', which serve only to inflate the analyst's ego and vainly justify their fee.  Keep summaries short, and if required produce reports which provide more information/have your notes on-hand which allow you to expand as requested.

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2014, 10:14:51 pm »
Congratulations (and good luck to you, Nando). 

Thought I'd drop in regarding presentations, as an analyst you have a glass ceiling if you're unable to present to management and peers - being the best-informed person in the room is only useful if you can summarise and pass that information on to the decision makers.

Thule's post on producing presentations and making sure you develop a narrative alongside are excellent and I shall not say the same thing twice, but I shall address anxiety a little bit and how understand that.

Fundamentally, practicing presenting, put yourself in the situations you hate and learn to accept a failure so you can learn to laugh at yourself and move on whilst learning from it.  As an analyst you should already have a curiosity towards life anyway, so consider this process an opportunity to look at yourself, and find out what causes you to fuck up/fear fucking up.  Is it fear of failure? Is that failure considered a poor presentation (trainable), or is it being asked a question and not knowing the answer (again, trainable) l

If you're single, I'd recommend learning to approach women as a good skill as there are many similarities with presenting.  You can't control their reaction to the situation in either case, yet you can guide it, and being able to reply to rejection/failure in a good natured and positive way are both useful skills.  Especially when you are going to be presenting in front of others who note not just the information but how you present it.  Additionally, being able to talk to senior management in a relaxed manner will make them notice you quickly, and is really no different to talking to a very beautiful woman in some ways.  Your brain is going to be saying "don't fuck this up" and you are going to feel anxiety, so just get used to it through experience till it eventually fades.

Just take every opportunity which presents itself, challenge yourself.  If it's someone's birthday, suggest a toast, if it's your birthday, stand up and thank  for coming.  If it's a funeral of a loved one and you really want to stand and present a euology but not sure if you can, do so.    If you ever think "Maybe I should say something..", use that as a key to help open that lock properly.

Lastly, Thule posts appear to cover most over themes as I've already stated.   From that post: 'consistent precision' was the phrase which most firmly resonated what you're trying to get across.  Use your language well, use your presentation well to accentuate that, and less is more in many cases.  Many clients hate overly wordy 'summaries', which serve only to inflate the analyst's ego and vainly justify their fee.  Keep summaries short, and if required produce reports which provide more information/have your notes on-hand which allow you to expand as requested.

Thanks for your thorough and detailed reply. In this situation my presentation did not fail due to my lack of confidence or the output I provided. Due to my hectic interview schedule alongside my current working situation(employed full time),I struggled to complete the task. I managed  to complete my notes for the presentation with only 10 minutes to spare before setting off. As a result, my inability to prepare in this situation with sufficient time meant I couldn't run through my notes alongside my presentation and caused confusion during the presentation. What I have learned from this situation is that I need to adapt to the situation rather than by beliefs. Typically, I have extremely high (probably unreasonable) standards, although I'm at entry level, I like to tackle tasks with the idea that I'm at a senior level, providing the best possible output possible so that I can impress.Originally I had this fantastic plan of providing extremely detailed analysis with findings and a summary and my slideshows to solely consist of graphs to look more professional(I always felt reading from a presentation wasn't the best way to present) and as a result I've struggled to hit my expectations largely due to the time spent on analysis. In the future, with a small timescale, I'll possibly drop my analysis expectations and focus more on the presentation. This process has definitely been a great learning curve and the frustration for me is that I've not truly been able to showcase my ability.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:19:43 pm by NANDO09 »

Herby

« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2014, 12:31:23 am »

Due to my hectic interview schedule alongside my current working situation(employed full time),I struggled to complete the task. I managed  to complete my notes for the presentation with only 10 minutes to spare before setting off.
As a result, ..............caused confusion during the presentation.
 I've not truly been able to showcase my ability.

Mate, firstly, sorry to hear that it didn't go as well as you had wished. However, you never know, it may have been received much better than you thought.
You may have faired much better when comparing to the competition.
Good luck with the selection process anyway.

I have my first of 4 presentations today (by teleconference, but we have instant communicators where we can share our screens) and my pitch is "keep it simple".
I just want the guy to walk away with a few key points to remember.

For example, I was talking with someone from the laboratory about their tests so that I could talk about these. There was one test
That is complicated, so I'm not even going to discuss that. I don't want the people confused about what I'm discussing.
Here's hoping anyway.

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2014, 12:34:22 pm »
Mate, firstly, sorry to hear that it didn't go as well as you had wished. However, you never know, it may have been received much better than you thought.
You may have faired much better when comparing to the competition.
Good luck with the selection process anyway.

I have my first of 4 presentations today (by teleconference, but we have instant communicators where we can share our screens) and my pitch is "keep it simple".

For example, I was talking with someone from the laboratory about their tests so that I could talk about these. There was one test
That is complicated, so I'm not even going to discuss that. I don't want the  confused about what I'm discussing.
Here's hoping anyway.

Good luck with your presentations. The issue of over complicating things definitely contributed to my performance so that's something I will take on board. Going back to what I said in an earlier post, I set myself what turned out to be an unrealistic goal during the presentation of having just graphs without text and that caused the confusion later on.

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2014, 12:37:47 pm »
Just a quick update: I was called by the HR department on Thursday, asked how the interview was and then told I will be informed on their decision early next week. From this, I feel I still have a chance as they had an opportunity to tell me outright if I was unsuccessful. Something that is promising for me is that I was told during the interview that I was at a disadvantage technically compared to other candidates, yet due to my desire to learn and develop they were able to look past that at the 1st interview stage. I did explain my situation to them about my lack of prep time affecting the presentation and it appears to have been taken into consideration.

Now that I do have time would it be seen as desperate or encouraging if I sent a complete analysis report?

Herby

« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2014, 03:45:10 pm »

Now that I do have time would it be seen as desperate or encouraging if I sent a complete analysis report?

Mate - this is deffo a plus - it shows your desire for the role and how you have the self awareness to follow-up with a report.

Go for it - follow your instincts.

Herby

« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2014, 05:00:07 am »
Can anyone give me any tips on how to set up a team?

A new facility  - new teams/functions being set up.

I would be the "Lead" and in my interview I will be aksed about setting up a team.

My opinion is, that I have to appoint the most senior person (supervisor) first, as they will need to learn/adapt to the role before the
direct reports are put in place.

Does anyone have experience of this and can give advice?

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2014, 06:35:03 am »
I read this whole thread in preparing for my interviews. Had 2 phone interviews , a group interview and a final interview - and this thread was really helpful.

Got a call yesterday, that they're going to do a background check before the next stage - which is the offer. I'm assuming this is a good sign, as they wouldn't waste money on a background check if they weren't interested? Also assume that a background check is pretty standard since I'm applying for a job at a bank?

Just saw this, Mel - it's definitely standard at a bank for sure, and really in any job these days. I think practically any company would do it, and actually I wouldn't trust them if they didn't, as it would sort of signal some sloppiness on their part (and you'd be sat next to some daft twat in the office if you got the job  :P ) (not that background checks catch all daft twats, obviously). It might be too late to wish you good luck, but I'm doing it anyway  ;D
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2014, 11:01:25 am »
Mate - this is deffo a plus - it shows your desire for the role and how you have the self awareness to follow-up with a report.

Go for it - follow your instincts.

Ok, I'll definitely do that. Which format would be most appropriate? I'm thinking either as a presentation, an excel document like most reports are kept or a word doc with a paragraph explaining each graph.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: May 26, 2014, 11:12:10 am »
Just saw this, Mel - it's definitely standard at a bank for sure, and really in any job these days. I think practically any company would do it, and actually I wouldn't trust them if they didn't, as it would sort of signal some sloppiness on their part (and you'd be sat next to some daft twat in the office if you got the job  :P ) (not that background checks catch all daft twats, obviously). It might be too late to wish you good luck, but I'm doing it anyway  ;D

Got the call today and received my offer. Contract will be sent out within a week!  :)

Again, tips in this thread were gold in preparing for my interviews.

Herby

« Reply #187 on: May 26, 2014, 11:20:41 am »

Ok, I'll definitely do that. Which format would be most appropriate? I'm thinking either as a presentation, an excel document like most reports are kept or a word doc with a paragraph explaining each graph.
I recommend email - with as little writing as possible.

People "can't be arsed" opening attachments sometimes - seriously.
Also, some people read their emails on their mobile and cannot open the attachments.

Some Heads where I work request this due to reading most emails in their phone (due to being on the move or in meetings)

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #188 on: May 26, 2014, 05:18:44 pm »
I threw up at my last interview, they offered me the job a week later.

Gotta be worth a bash eh?! ;)
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2014, 11:33:41 am »
Had a job offer from the presentation interview :)

Herby

« Reply #190 on: May 27, 2014, 12:52:52 pm »
Had a job offer from the presentation interview :)

Well in mate - did you sent them that follow-up information?

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2014, 01:16:00 pm »
I got in a pickle trying to word it properly and professionally. The analysis itself was complete but I kept over thinking the wording for a presentation and couldn't complete it.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #192 on: May 27, 2014, 08:37:47 pm »
Got the call today and received my offer. Contract will be sent out within a week!  :)

Again, tips in this thread were gold in preparing for my interviews.

Nice one mate, congratulations  ;D
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2014, 09:56:20 pm »
Went for an Apprenticeship interview today. Was awkward because it was a long table and one guy was to the left and one infront of me. I had to talk to them both simultainously.

Furthmore, they gave a list of questions they may ask me.  They only asked one- 'why engineering'. I answered it and they nodded approvingly before moving onto discuss my options and potential firms. I have no problem with this but I prepped my questions for days, to not answer them was rather disappointing in a wierd way.  ;D

Still, they were impressed with my results and moved me to the next round, so happy days.  :wave
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Herby

« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2014, 12:27:20 pm »

So I had these 4 TCs - no one wanted to see slides - they wwanted to just talk.
These 4 TCs were after I had 2 TCs with the Head of Department.

They went well.

However - I have 4 more next week with the same guys. Then a short one with HR.

That is basically 10 interviews which is way over the top.

Granted- I'll say the first 6 were not too demanding, but it is not necessary to have all of these interviews.

Unless they want me for a better role... doubt it - but you never know.

Offline NANDO09

• Main Stander
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2014, 01:29:23 pm »
So I had these 4 TCs - no one wanted to see slides - they wwanted to just talk.
These 4 TCs were after I had 2 TCs with the Head of Department.

They went well.

However - I have 4 more next week with the same guys. Then a short one with HR.

That is basically 10 interviews which is way over the top.

Granted- I'll say the first 6 were not too demanding, but it is not necessary to have all of these interviews.

Unless they want me for a better role... doubt it - but you never know.

Good Luck

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #196 on: June 2, 2014, 01:14:50 pm »
So I went to an assessment centre 2 and a half weeks ago (I think it went okay) and I was told afterwards that I'd have to wait 2-3 weeks for a reply. It's been on my mind ever since so the very long wait has been horrendous!

The reason I'm posting is that I found out today I have an interview next week with another company. So IF I'm fortunate enough to get an offer this week from company 1, how do I answer if they ask me to commit to them i.e. do they tend to ask something along the lines of "so do you accept the job offer"? As long as I've not signed a contract am I fine to say yes but still attend interview with company 2? Can I even sign a contract and cancel without issue as long as I haven't actually started the job? I'm told by a friend who works at company 2 that he got a reply about a week after interview so that would make it exactly a fortnight after I'm supposed to have had a reply from company 1... :-\

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2014, 01:55:30 pm »
Hope I'm in roughly the right place.

In the process of filling out a job application form online - supervisor role in retail.  I'm currently a customer assistant in a different store.  The application is asking me my salary/hourly rate expectations.

If it's anything like our place then it works out Store Manager > Floor Managers > Supervisors > Senior Sales > Customer Assistants.

We've just been bumped up to £6.70 at ours.  Any idea roughly what I should be suggesting/expecting?

Herby

« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2014, 03:10:38 pm »
So I went to an assessment centre 2 and a half weeks ago (I think it went okay) and I was told afterwards that I'd have to wait 2-3 weeks for a reply. It's been on my mind ever since so the very long wait has been horrendous!

The reason I'm posting is that I found out today I have an interview next week with another company. So IF I'm fortunate enough to get an offer this week from company 1, how do I answer if they ask me to commit to them i.e. do they tend to ask something along the lines of "so do you accept the job offer"? As long as I've not signed a contract am I fine to say yes but still attend interview with company 2? Can I even sign a contract and cancel without issue as long as I haven't actually started the job? I'm told by a friend who works at company 2 that he got a reply about a week after interview so that would make it exactly a fortnight after I'm supposed to have had a reply from company 1... :-\

Be honest with them.
It cannot work against you.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2014, 10:35:06 am »
Be honest with them.
It cannot work against you.
Well as it turns out I'm actually having to be honest with company 1 about a different thing now. Company 2 offered me a job yesterday after interviewing me just last Thursday (absolutely chuffed - now waiting up to 10 days for the formal offer). Meanwhile company 1 who were supposed to get back to me after 2-3 weeks will have had a full 5 weeks tomorrow without telling me anything. So I rang them again yesterday telling them I need to know if they are going to give me an offer as I've just been offered a job elsewhere... and again the person I needed to speak to wasn't available so I got the same old "they'll be in touch soon".  :butt