Author Topic: The Balkan Express XI Draft  (Read 29844 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: The Balkan Express XI Draft
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2019, 08:55:45 pm »
I think he’s also a massive racist prick isn’t he? But that could reduce the field a fair bit in this draft if we ruled out this types (he says slightly xenophobicaly).

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2019, 08:56:37 pm »
He was a bit of a twat, in all fairness. More than a bit, really. One hell of a free kick taker though. Would probably rank in my top five set piece takers of all time, although that's be heavily influenced by watching Football Italia as a kid.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2019, 08:58:45 pm »
I think he’s also a massive racist prick isn’t he? But that could reduce the field a fair bit in this draft if we ruled out this types (he says slightly xenophobicaly).

See, while I can't listen to The Smiths anymore because I don't agree with Morrissey's I'm a racist prick policy (even though I do agree with his Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now policy), I would have picked Mihajlovic for my team despite him being a massive racist prick.

Is that wrong?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2019, 09:00:05 pm »
See, while I can't listen to The Smiths anymore because I don't agree with Morrissey's I'm a racist prick policy (even though I do agree with his Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now policy), I would have picked Mihajlovic for my team despite him being a massive racist prick.

Is that wrong?

No, but lets move on from the Racist, Right Wing Nationalist, Arkan loving scumbag shall we.

;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2019, 09:04:14 pm »

Did not know this. 

Which leads me to this

http://www.espnfc.com/europe/news/2000/1026/20001026mihajlovic.html

http://footballrepublik.com/sinisa-mihajlovic/

Interesting reads.

If my research went into political affiliations, crazy nut job personality quirks from abuse to being an utter dumbass, and who is hip, in, and cool amongst a small group of LFC supporters born during a certain time, then I would never finish researching the picks.

Now the real question is would I pick him again knowing what I know now?  But alas, drafts do not work that way.  Popularity contests aren't they?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:08:20 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2019, 09:05:34 pm »

Is that wrong?
I never liked the Smiths or Morrissey anyway, and after all the stick I got off my Morrissey-loving mates for being all uncultured and that I feel somewhat vindicated by his ending up being a massive racist prick. Is that right?

Always loved a Mihajlovic free kick though - the whip, the power, the accuracy, man was a genius with a dead ball, even if he wasn't that great of a footballer aside from that. Is that wrong?

Very confusing, all this.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2019, 09:06:58 pm »
Are we tied to a number of players from a Country?

PS. The Smiths were shite.  ;D
Y.N.W.A.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2019, 09:10:08 pm »
Is Betts sandbagging, or ready with a pick?
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2019, 09:10:42 pm »
I'm online, but just waiting to hear from Bobby about whether he'd like to team up. Sounds like both of us have eratic schedules this week, so could be a perfect way to both get involved. But if I don't hear soon I'll just pick my guy anyway.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2019, 09:14:04 pm »
It is my privilege to announce the engagement to be married of one Betty Blue and Viva Bobby Graham
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2019, 09:15:49 pm »
It is my privilege to announce the engagement to be married of one Betty Blue and Viva Bobby Graham

;D Congrats.
Y.N.W.A.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2019, 09:21:52 pm »

Betty Bobby - Hammer time

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2019, 09:26:39 pm »

Just discussing our wedding vows first two picks.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2019, 09:30:40 pm »
Are we tied to a number of players from a Country?

PS. The Smiths were shite.  ;D

As long as you have players from at least 3 different nations, you can pick as many as you like.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2019, 09:32:27 pm »
I never liked the Smiths or Morrissey anyway, and after all the stick I got off my Morrissey-loving mates for being all uncultured and that I feel somewhat vindicated by his ending up being a massive racist prick. Is that right?

He's certainly not for everyone (aside from right wingers these days)

Always loved a Mihajlovic free kick though - the whip, the power, the accuracy, man was a genius with a dead ball, even if he wasn't that great of a footballer aside from that. Is that wrong?

Yes

Very confusing, all this.

Agree with that, too many blurred lines.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2019, 09:37:01 pm »
No, but lets move on from the Racist, Right Wing Nationalist, Arkan loving scumbag shall we.

;D

He's a c#nt no doubt, the Arkan thing has some context seeing as he's from Vukovar and Arkan helped his family. A c#nt non the less. Recently [several years ago] when he was the Serbian national team manager, he banned Adem Laljic from playing because Ljaljic didn't sing the national anthem. LJaljic is a Serbian Muslim, who is from Novi Pazar, a part of Serbia which is predominantly Muslim

While we are on the subject of this, I only discovered today that Davor Suker, took a picture by the grave of Ante Pavalic [notorious Ustasa general], in the presence of other war criminals, this was taken in 1996 [in Madrid, sine Pavalic was buried there] . This photo was released by Croatian media recently but I only became aware of it literally today which in my mind totally distorts my view on him, regradless of his ability

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2019, 09:38:10 pm »
He's a c#nt no doubt, the Arkan thing has some context seeing as he's from Vukovar and Arkan helped his family. A c#nt non the less. Recently [several years ago] when he was the Serbian national team manager, he banned Adem Laljic from playing because Ljaljic didn't sing the national anthem. LJaljic is a Serbian Muslim, who is from Novi Pazar, a part of Serbia which is predominantly Muslim

While we are on the subject of this, I only discovered today that Davor Suker, took a picture by the grave of Ante Pavalic [notorious Ustasa general], in the presence of other war criminals, this was taken in 1996 [in Madrid, sine Pavalic was buried there] . This photo was released by Croatian media recently but I only became aware of it literally today which in my mind totally distorts my view on him, regradless of his ability

So you won't be voting for Sarge then. Good.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2019, 09:38:58 pm »
So you won't be voting for Sarge then. Good.

Hahahah, it will be offset by the other players he has.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2019, 09:43:45 pm »
Betty, reading my mind as always!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2019, 09:49:07 pm »
Nice picks BBB
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2019, 09:49:10 pm »
Betty, reading my mind as always!

;D

Delighted to have grabbed Piksi. After Hagi, he was my top choice for round 1. Wonderful player before injuries struck him down. Popescu is ace too. Gives us some options with him just as good at DM or CB. At least one of those positions (probably both!) will be a struggle once we get a little further into the draft.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2019, 09:49:32 pm »
As long as you have players from at least 3 different nations, you can pick as many as you like.

Cool :thumbup
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2019, 09:58:40 pm »

Oh did not know that about Suker, not good.
Y.N.W.A.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2019, 10:02:54 pm »
There is going to be a run on defenders soon boys!!! Get'em while they are hot!!!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2019, 10:08:56 pm »
Can I leave my pick with someone?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2019, 10:10:04 pm »
I will of course be lying for teams that will play in perfect harmony and not pausing every 5 minutes to re enact Batty and Le Saux or Bowyer and Dyer.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2019, 10:11:49 pm »
Can I leave my pick with someone?

Fire away I'm watching a movie.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2019, 10:13:07 pm »
Nice picks BBB

Just warming up, Trend. Going from back to front I see? Who's next, your keeper?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2019, 10:14:56 pm »
Just warming up, Trend. Going from back to front I see? Who's next, your keeper?

Lev Yashin-ovic -- spot on mate.

Back to front is right (you might be the only person other than me to pick defenders with 1 pick).  Love it.

Need to Balkanize my team ----> where the rubber meets the road (Centrebacks)!!!!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 10:16:29 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2019, 10:16:00 pm »
I will of course be lying for teams that will play in perfect harmony and not pausing every 5 minutes to re enact Batty and Le Saux or Bowyer and Dyer.

I thought that was directed at me for a moment as a thinly guised insult. Getting into the Mihajlovic spirit.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2019, 10:16:13 pm »
Lev Yashin-ovic -- spot on mate.

Back to front is right (you might be the only person other than me to pick defenders with 1 pick).  Love it.

Baresi is always my first pick when I can.
Y.N.W.A.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2019, 10:20:47 pm »

Must be contagious, as after my first draft --- with you and the boys I tended to drift towards wanting Baresi more than others, as a place I like to start too.

Baresi is a beast --- but I found that if I relied upon him to win it for me (there would always be three Brazilians against) and I would lose by 10 votes.... even with Mbappe and Henry? 

I'll try to steer clear from repeat performance patterns though, as in a year or two BB will have my profile drafting pattern out like he did Hazell --- whom I think may be the most resilient drafter among us.  Just when you think the spigot runs dry, he comes out with a pick we all would have liked to have taken credit for...

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #192 on: June 26, 2019, 10:25:35 pm »

Always wanted to draft Baresi. Absolute God on the field. Whenever I see him in a line-up I almost automatically take the opposition striker out of the game. He'll be so tightly wedged in Franco's pocket he might as well not exist anyway.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #193 on: June 26, 2019, 10:26:56 pm »
Always wanted to draft Baresi. Absolute God on the field. Whenever I see him in a line-up I almost automatically take the opposition striker out of the game. He'll be so tightly wedged in Franco's pocket he might as well not exist anyway.

Franco and Jockey, oh my lordy.
Y.N.W.A.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2019, 10:53:19 pm »
There goes my favorite defender of the draft, top stuff Trend!

Boksic another good pick, another one bites the dust.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #195 on: June 26, 2019, 11:11:15 pm »
Boksic was great, big and strong and a good finisher. How the fuck did he end up wasting a few years at Middlesbrough (there’s a fair few who can ask themselves that question)?

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2019, 11:12:50 pm »

Was my very first pick in my very first draft.....I remember you Berasied me then Sulkered. I nearly complained to a Modric

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #197 on: June 26, 2019, 11:18:06 pm »
Was my very first pick in my very first draft.....I remember you Berasied me then Sulkered. I nearly complained to a Modric

;D You did sound hurt at the time, but he was the greatest bar none.
Y.N.W.A.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2019, 11:18:29 pm »
Boksic was great, big and strong and a good finisher. How the fuck did he end up wasting a few years at Middlesbrough (there’s a fair few who can ask themselves that question)?

True.

Going abroad is a difficult business - language, culture, manager trust, team mates relations and a lot has changed in the last 30-40 years.  Personality matches to the culture sometimes can be tricky (as players have their feet in multiple worlds at the same time) - hard to feel grounded. 

Thinking of Lazar Markovic at present - a lot of reasons for things not to work out.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2019, 11:19:20 pm »
True.

Going abroad is a difficult business - language, culture, manager trust, team mates relations and a lot has changed in the last 30-40 years.  Personality matches to the culture sometimes can be tricky (as players have their feet in multiple worlds at the same time) - hard to feel grounded. 

Thinking of Lazar Markovic at present - a lot of reasons for things not to work out.

Spoiler!!

;D
Y.N.W.A.