Author Topic: The Balkan Express XI Draft  (Read 30744 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Balkan Express XI Draft
« Reply #360 on: June 28, 2019, 05:06:44 pm »
Different game back then. All the top clubs wanted Hatzipanagis but the team he played for didn't want to sell him and there was nothing he could do about it. Shame he never got the chance to show his talent on a bigger stage. That's what makes this draft so interesting though, there's loads of hidden gems.

'bout time Manolas went as well! Zahovic is a cracking pick as well. Can't believe some of the players that went ahead of them!!

Well keep in mind these names aren't exactly house hold names.For those who haven't seen them play, their clubs and where they played can be off putting.  :)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #361 on: June 28, 2019, 05:12:52 pm »
Well keep in mind these names aren't exactly house hold names.For those who haven't seen them play, their clubs and where they played can be off putting.  :)

It begs the question, is it better to go abroad and fail or remain at home with your success untainted? There will be a lot of picks on either side of the coin in this draft. The ones that succeeded both at home and abroad will be few are far between.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 05:17:15 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #362 on: June 28, 2019, 05:14:24 pm »
I completely get that, makes sense that people would want to pick players they've actually seen or at least heard of before.

I hope we see a few more obscure picks as we move into the later rounds though. One of the best things about these drafts is learning about new players. I've enjoyed reading your comments on the older Yugoslavian players. I've got plenty of stories to share about Greek players as well, if & when they get picked :D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #363 on: June 28, 2019, 05:16:32 pm »
I completely get that, makes sense that people would want to pick players they've actually seen or at least heard of before.

I hope we see a few more obscure picks as we move into the later rounds though. One of the best things about these drafts is learning about new players. I've enjoyed reading your comments on the older Yugoslavian players. I've got plenty of stories to share about Greek players as well, if & when they get picked :D

Surprised no one has gone for Socrates yet.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #364 on: June 28, 2019, 05:17:54 pm »

Consider your audience mate  ;D This is pretty much an extension of the hipster draft
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #365 on: June 28, 2019, 05:21:37 pm »

That's true of course, but there's no excuse for picking bang average players - for which I've seen a few already - just because you've seen them play more often than a more obscure yet clearly better player from the past. It just leads to older players getting constantly overlooked, which is a bit of a trend in rawk draft history to be fair.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #366 on: June 28, 2019, 05:33:35 pm »
That's true of course, but there's no excuse for picking bang average players - for which I've seen a few already - just because you've seen them play more often than a more obscure yet clearly better player from the past. It just leads to older players getting constantly overlooked, which is a bit of a trend in rawk draft history to be fair.
Yeah I'm with you there. My first ever RAWK draft team was proper old school, even had a few pre-War players thrown in there ;D Quickly learned that you don't win votes that way, but it's a shame.

Let's put it this way... I'll be voting for Hatzipanagis over Arnautovic ;D

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: June 28, 2019, 05:39:16 pm »
Something else unfortunately for some of these players is that there were restrictions when they could leave to foreign clubs there were rules in place, some of them were that you couldn't leave for a foreign club after the age of 28 [have no idea why that was the case]. I am not sure when it stopped or when it came into place, but I know it hindered some.

The league itself was fairly good but it limited their impact on the global stage. [That's why I always say European Cups is the biggest stage for that, and for players to showcase their talent to the world, when it may have been difficult to do so otherwise]. Red Star have a history in Europe even prior to their triumph in the early 90's, they always had the best players in Yugoslavia playing for them.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: June 28, 2019, 05:44:02 pm »

Cheers mate, I look forward to more of your posts in regards to them as well. My knowledge on Greek football isn't as great as it should be.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: June 28, 2019, 05:44:44 pm »
It begs the question, is it better to go abroad and fail or remain at home with your success untainted? There will be a lot of picks on either side of the coin in this draft. The ones that succeeded both at home and abroad will be few are far between.

The good thing is at least, if they're playing up against one another, they would have done so in the same leagues  ;D

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #370 on: June 28, 2019, 05:46:58 pm »
Just in giz a few mins.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #371 on: June 28, 2019, 05:48:52 pm »
Any update on the picks lads?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #372 on: June 28, 2019, 05:51:34 pm »
Has Marcelo Brozović been picked?
Y.N.W.A.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: June 28, 2019, 05:54:34 pm »
Has Marcelo Brozović been picked?

He hasn't.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #374 on: June 28, 2019, 05:56:02 pm »
Consider your audience mate  ;D This is pretty much an extension of the hipster draft

Haha good point. That was one of my favourite drafts  :D  Zahovic is a class pick either way though. Would have gone for him if we didn't have Stojkovic already at AM.

Yeah I'm with you there. My first ever RAWK draft team was proper old school, even had a few pre-War players thrown in there ;D Quickly learned that you don't win votes that way, but it's a shame.

Don't remind me about my first RAWK draft. Picking a keeper in round 5  :butt  We all learn the hard way.

Something else unfortunately for some of these players is that there were restrictions when they could leave to foreign clubs there were rules in place, some of them were that you couldn't leave for a foreign club after the age of 28 [have no idea why that was the case]. I am not sure when it stopped or when it came into place, but I know it hindered some.

The league itself was fairly good but it limited their impact on the global stage. [That's why I always say European Cups is the biggest stage for that, and for players to showcase their talent to the world, when it may have been difficult to do so otherwise]. Red Star have a history in Europe even prior to their triumph in the early 90's, they always had the best players in Yugoslavia playing for them.

Never knew that. Crazy in the modern context. As other have been saying, I'm really enjoying your insights on the Easter European guys getting picked  :)  Been a great draft so far.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #375 on: June 28, 2019, 05:59:54 pm »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #376 on: June 28, 2019, 06:02:43 pm »
Ok what way are we going who is next?
Y.N.W.A.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #377 on: June 28, 2019, 06:11:22 pm »
The nerds have taken over the asylum.

Go down swinging L’man!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: June 28, 2019, 06:18:02 pm »
Ok what way are we going who is next?

Your sense of direction sucks mate.  ;D

Max is next.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #379 on: June 28, 2019, 06:22:51 pm »
Ok Is Manolas the artist formerly known as Kostas Manolas?

There are a few different Manolas actually that played for Greece and few of them were quite good.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: June 28, 2019, 06:24:21 pm »
Haha good point. That was one of my favourite drafts  :D  Zahovic is a class pick either way though. Would have gone for him if we didn't have Stojkovic already at AM.

Don't remind me about my first RAWK draft. Picking a keeper in round 5  :butt  We all learn the hard way.

Never knew that. Crazy in the modern context. As other have been saying, I'm really enjoying your insights on the Easter European guys getting picked  :)  Been a great draft so far.

Cheers as always. Zahovic was a hell of a player

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: June 28, 2019, 06:25:32 pm »

There are a few different Manolas actually that played for Greece and few of them were quite good.

I would ask Jersey to clarify

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #382 on: June 28, 2019, 06:29:49 pm »
Your sense of direction sucks mate.  ;D

Max is next.

I'm all over the shop ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #383 on: June 28, 2019, 06:30:24 pm »
I would ask Jersey to clarify

FFS Jersey!!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #384 on: June 28, 2019, 06:30:49 pm »
Any thoughts on my team?
Y.N.W.A.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #385 on: June 28, 2019, 06:34:20 pm »

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #386 on: June 28, 2019, 06:34:42 pm »
Any chance of a full player update please and thank you.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Y.N.W.A.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: June 28, 2019, 06:36:35 pm »
Any thoughts on my team?
Brazovic doesn't exist but Brozovic does  :D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #389 on: June 28, 2019, 06:38:27 pm »
Brazovic doesn't exist but Brozovic does  :D

Ahh piss off you.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2019, 06:39:09 pm »
Now.

Suker
Lacatus                               Lechtkov
                       CAM
          CM                  Brozovic
LB    Belodedici      Stimac       RB
                         GK
Y.N.W.A.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: June 28, 2019, 06:40:28 pm »

Mikey: Modric, Mandzukic, Bobek, Tudor, Skoblar,
PIM: Ibra, Vukas, Srna, Dobrin, Simic,
Hazell: Stoickov, Salihamidzic, Kerimoglu, Shaqiri, Inler,
deFacto: Scholl, Pjanic, Sahin, Pandev, Subotic,
Tubby: Hagi, Berbatov, Belozoglu, Bilic, Contra
Max: Stankovic, Ivanovic, Pancev, Ivanov, Kolarov, Salihovic
Sarge: Suker, Lechtkov, Lacatus, Belodedici, Stimac, Brozovic
JKop: Savicevic, Rakitic, Oblak, Perisic, Viduka, Manolas,
Lastra: Boban, Dzeko, Chivu, Vucinic, Katanec, Dukic,
Eel L: Prosnicki, Jugovic, Ozil, N Kovac, Lovren, Zahovic,
SPS: Dzajic, Vidic, Balakov, Matic Hamit Altintop, Olic
TIND: Mihajlovic, Vasovic, Boloni, Susic,Arnautovic, Tadic,
Lawn: Mijatovic, Boksic, Jarni, Petrescu, Asanovic, S. Petrov,
BBB: Stojkovic, Popescu, Hakan Suker, Arda Turan, Hatzipanagis,Branko Oblak,

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #392 on: June 28, 2019, 06:47:26 pm »

Yep, current Manolas who is apparently moving from Roma to Napoli.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: June 28, 2019, 06:49:10 pm »
Now.

Suker
Lacatus                               Lechtkov
                       CAM
          CM                  Brozovic
LB    Belodedici      Stimac       RB
                         GK

Your midfield is going to be interesting, may struggle to get proper service to your attacking players and it's slim pickings at the moment of quality midfielders.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #394 on: June 28, 2019, 06:55:36 pm »
Yep, current Manolas who is apparently moving from Roma to Napoli.

Ok fair. He is a good pickup this late.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #395 on: June 28, 2019, 06:57:59 pm »
Your midfield is going to be interesting, may struggle to get proper service to your attacking players and it's slim pickings at the moment of quality midfielders.

I have a couple in mind so I'll have to see who gets picked over the next few.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #396 on: June 28, 2019, 07:15:42 pm »
You could always play Lechtkov there, it would make more sense than him on the wing imo.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #397 on: June 28, 2019, 07:19:27 pm »
You could always play Lechtkov there, it would make more sense than him on the wing imo.

I know he can play both, just waiting to see if I get who i want next round, Lechtkov was a fine baller all the same.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #398 on: June 28, 2019, 07:20:05 pm »

I'd probably put Letchkov at CM. Although perhaps a bit similar to Brozovic, so AM is a good suggestion.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #399 on: June 28, 2019, 07:23:03 pm »
I'd probably put Letchkov at CM. Although perhaps a bit similar to Brozovic, so AM is a good suggestion.

My AM is still not picked but if I cannot get my CM he'll go in beside Brozovic.
Y.N.W.A.