Author Topic: Football commentator/pundits  (Read 46524 times)

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Re: 2018 - Who's the best commentator/pundit?
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2019, 06:59:15 pm »
Mourinho’s really good at this, doesn’t deal in cliches and actually takes the time to analyse the action. He’s miles ahead of the rest of the rabble we have to hear.

Always like Keane too, twat of a bloke, yeah, but he at least says what he’s thinking, rather than tow the line.
AHA!

Online rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #121 on: December 9, 2019, 04:59:16 pm »
I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but think Gary Neville deserves a bit of credit for pointing out that the rise is racism in the UK is coming from the very top, in a climate where he will be endlessly shat on by said racists for explicitly bringing politics into football discussion.

Would have been very easy for him to either avoid it altogether or talk around it and lean on implication and dot-joining.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:32:17 am by rowan_d »

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: December 9, 2019, 10:46:56 pm »
I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but think Gary Neville deserves a bit of credit for pointing out that the rise is racism in the UK is coming from the very top, in a climate where he will be endlessly shat on by said racists for explicitly bringing politics into football discussion.

Would have been very easy for him to either avoid it altogether or talk around it and lean on implication dot-joining.

I agree, don't like the fella but fair play for making the point
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2020, 08:00:31 pm »
Really enjoyed listening to Russell Martin there, always refreshing to hear someone that comes across as loving the game and finding positives.
AHA!

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2020, 10:17:59 pm »
Really enjoyed listening to Russell Martin there, always refreshing to hear someone that comes across as loving the game and finding positives.

Glad you mentioned that I thought he was excellent tonight no bitterness about anything.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: December 6, 2023, 10:49:35 pm »
Amazons coverage has been good the last 2 nights. Tyldsley was on our game tonight. In saying that so was Michael Brown but still

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: December 6, 2023, 10:56:25 pm »
Amazons coverage has been good the last 2 nights. Tyldsley was on our game tonight. In saying that so was Michael Brown but still

I generally like Tyldsley, but there was a weird bit where the camera cut to Klopp wearing a snood, and he started reminiscing about commentating at the World Cup in Qatar, and how he wore a polo in winter and he got to watch Portugal play and it was all lovely and warm. It was just a bit "what the fuck are you on about".

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 6, 2023, 10:59:09 pm »
I generally like Tyldsley, but there was a weird bit where the camera cut to Klopp wearing a snood, and he started reminiscing about commentating at the World Cup in Qatar, and how he wore a polo in winter and he got to watch Portugal play and it was all lovely and warm. It was just a bit "what the fuck are you on about".

haha yeah that was a bit Sam Materface like (who's obsessed with what people wear). Something to do with it was a year ago when that Ramos fella scored a hat trick for Portugal.
He's pretty good though, easy enough to listen to.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: December 6, 2023, 11:06:46 pm »
Brown said something odd iirc about Jürgen not used to games at that time during the second half?

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: December 6, 2023, 11:37:14 pm »
Brown said something odd iirc about Jürgen not used to games at that time during the second half?

Probably having a dig about the early kick offs maybe?  The fella after the game tried that and said it to Jurgen. Not a smart move.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #130 on: December 7, 2023, 02:01:40 pm »
Von Deyk
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: December 7, 2023, 02:14:39 pm »
Rather have Amazon than BT or whatever it is called now

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #132 on: December 7, 2023, 02:18:18 pm »

Yeah that was really odd.  But I kind of liked it, was almost Partridge-esque.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #133 on: December 7, 2023, 02:21:03 pm »
Yeah that was really odd.  But I kind of liked it, was almost Partridge-esque.

I’ve thought there’s been a touch of the “Brent mused” about some of Clive’s recent appearances on The Anfield Wrap.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #134 on: December 9, 2023, 08:14:34 pm »
Fuck me...5 Live's 606 is such a pitiful experience these days....Savage and Sutton ...pair of humourless blerts hosting a phone-in for complete gobshites..............it's a long, long way from the wooden bow-tie that's for sure
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2023, 09:24:44 am »
Fuck me...5 Live's 606 is such a pitiful experience these days....Savage and Sutton ...pair of humourless blerts hosting a phone-in for complete gobshites..............it's a long, long way from the wooden bow-tie that's for sure

It's terrible isn't it.  Savage and his "right then Christopher" every 10 seconds. I can't think of a show that's actually got better in time. MOTD, 606. They've all got so bad

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2023, 10:18:25 am »

Totally agree mate, but to be fair, I've heard very little on on any radio station ever that's anywhere near wooden bow tie level

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2023, 11:49:52 am »
Totally agree mate, but to be fair, I've heard very little on on any radio station ever that's anywhere near wooden bow tie level
Danny Baker banging the desk when the guy said the following week he brought the bow tie to the game on a pole like a Roman standard is when radio peaked as a medium.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2023, 10:55:03 pm »
Unlucky for me I didn't get seeing any of the football tonight, but I caught the score at the end. Christ, is Micky Gray a die hard Man Utd fan or what?  He sounded utterly deflated when Bayern scored when they did the radio highlights, I don't think I've ever heard anyone sound so disappointed!  Like Tyler when we scored on steroids

Offline cissesbeard

• Kopite
« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2023, 10:56:37 pm »
Unlucky for me I didn't get seeing any of the football tonight, but I caught the score at the end. Christ, is Micky Gray a die hard Man Utd fan or what?  He sounded utterly deflated when Bayern scored when they did the radio highlights, I don't think I've ever heard anyone sound so disappointed!  Like Tyler when we scored on steroids

he is one of the worst, loves shit football cliches. did he play for utd youth or something, always talks like he loves them, prick

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2023, 11:01:10 pm »
I had no idea what the wooden bow tie reference was about, and was afraid of being whooooooshed. I just found it and listened to it. Brilliant. 2 foot by 1 foot with a big leather strap haha. Jaysus

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2023, 11:02:30 pm »
You've just launched a thousand conspiracy posts on GoT
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2023, 11:14:23 pm »

I remember that call at the time & was laughing my head off, ;D but that wasn't 606, as at the time Danny Baker had a Sunday morning phone in with Danny Kelly on five live instead, which the call was made to, here's the call in all it's glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZxX_d0rLHU
 ;D
#Sausages

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2023, 07:22:06 am »
 :lmao

That’s wonderful, thanks for linking
Believer

Online boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2023, 08:42:21 am »
There's no option for - None, theyre all shit.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2023, 09:00:53 am »

;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AZxX_d0rLHU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AZxX_d0rLHU</a>

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2023, 09:04:14 am »
I thought Andros Townsend was very good before he decided to be a professional footballer again. Nedum Onuoha is also someone I usually enjoy when he's on too.

Online wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2023, 09:10:56 am »
Honestly used to love Danny Baker on 5-Live on a Saturday morning.  Just wonderful radio.  He got cancelled didn't he?  Can't remember why.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2023, 09:45:35 am »
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 09:50:44 am by dirkster »

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2023, 12:47:34 pm »
Honestly used to love Danny Baker on 5-Live on a Saturday morning.  Just wonderful radio.  He got cancelled didn't he?  Can't remember why.

Saw him on his tour a few years back talking about his life, he was incredible. So interesting and funny, he could have talked all night I'm sure. All totally off the cuff (apart from a vague timeline) and by the interval he was still talking about his life as a kid and had to be told by the theatre to speed up or he wouldn't finish ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2023, 01:23:14 pm »
I used to enjoy Ray Wilkins' brief commentary spell. He was a classy act and a gent, always opening by saying "good evening". He ended up getting on a lot of people's tits though and I can't remember why.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2023, 01:31:36 pm »
I used to enjoy Ray Wilkins' brief commentary spell. He was a classy act and a gent, always opening by saying "good evening". He ended up getting on a lot of people's tits though and I can't remember why.

Mainly remember him from the Tango ads. :D

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2023, 01:33:17 pm »
My word!

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2023, 06:12:43 pm »
Jesus wept Steve McManaman and the guy with him just chat constant utter shit. :butt

Also seem very keen for Union to do well compared with how we hear them do other English games on TNT. 
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2023, 06:14:22 pm »
Jesus wept Steve McManaman and the guy with him just chat constant utter shit. :butt

Also seem very keen for Union to do well compared with how we hear them do other English games on TNT. 
Slagging off Endo's English, the absolute blert

I hate Steve Macmanananananannanan

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2023, 10:59:25 pm »
The guys on the darts are very good. Nice to watch a sport where the fellas commentating know their stuff and are relevant to what's going on without the agendas or narratives.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2023, 12:22:57 pm »
I find Gary Neville nauseating to listen to. He was even trying to justify why the handball wasn't a pen.

Sky should give us an option to mute him.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 24, 2023, 12:36:11 pm »
^ive got no idea whatsoever why any Liverpool listens to anything he has to say.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 24, 2023, 12:36:19 pm »
I find Gary Neville nauseating to listen to. He was even trying to justify why the handball wasn't a pen.

Sky should give us an option to mute him.

Or fire him into the sun via a cannon. Actually, he can share with Carragher while we're at it.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #159 on: December 24, 2023, 12:45:02 pm »
I wouldn't even want to pick one out of that lot

I know a lot of people like Ally Mcoist on here but that's probably because he's a nice fella and generous about us. He's actually frequently wrong about things actually happening on the pitch and never stops talking

First poster mentioned Mourinho. That's actually not a bad shout
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp