The Liverpool FC Forum > Liverpool FC Forum

The Anfield Wrap

<< < (5821/5842) > >>

decosabute:

--- Quote from: Fitzy. on April 19, 2024, 11:01:16 pm ---I wouldnít assume to talk for Neil and he doesnít need folk on RAWK to be his gatekeeper, but I sense that heís pursuing a line that is essentially one of anti-hysterical. Now and always, Neil treads a path that is opposed to dramatic opinions and hot takes. Heís not into throwing players under a bus; never has been. Indeed, he often does the opposite. He finds positives in the bad times. He sees the light when all around him feel dull. This is probably a professional decision - heading up a fan media operation brings certain responsibilities and he has the opportunity to set a tone that may be antithetical to virtually all around him. Accentuating the good amongst the sadness.

I see a virtue in this. My perspective is that Neil is railing against the tidal wave of over emotional lads who take to their mobile phones and give appallingly negative energy to any setback. Neilís not having it. Heís not accepting the ďKloppís been great Ö butÖĒ crap that weíre seeing emerging. Heís not going along with some hysterical notion that Salah is Ďdoneí. Heís standing up to the large proportion of the fanbase who seem to operate with the sense of catastrophe about to happen.

I believe this is his own editorial choice. He suspects most (well some) fans canít at all handle slumps, defeats, cup exits etc so heís presenting himself as a protector of sanity by utterly disengaging with such unhinged lunacy.

Thatís not to suggest last night was any way good; itís more a case that itís not representative of some disastrous decline. Thereís a league to be won and all anyone can do is predict failure. Neilís not having it and fair play to him.

--- End quote ---

Sorry, I'm just not having this. Neil has often slaughtered the players, usually when it's justified to be fair. But sometimes when it isn't. For example, I vividly remember a Pink where we'd drawn against Chelsea in 2017, and Neil absolutely lambasted the result and performance. As though it was completely unacceptable to not beat the reigning champions at home.

And anyway, you're missing my point - I didn't need him to slaughter the players or the manager on Thursday either. I just thought the "everyone should relax" message and telling us how well so many played was a bit weird and didn't at all tally with what I saw. Thursday to me wasn't a time I was angry at the players or manager - I actually felt sorry for them and for everyone. I really just thought it was a very sad, deflating end to the era of Kloppís Liverpool in Europe. But instead the mood was almost having a laugh and saying it's all fine.

There doesn't have to be anger, there doesn't have to be catastrophising, but I just expect the chat to reflect the game. A very sad end of a certain chapter and another game with a concerning lack of energy.

I'd be in violent agreement with Neil roughly 90% of the time, but this was a case where I genuinely wondered if we'd seen the same game. I still think it was pretty weird. Like he was determined to say "we're all having a lovely time". I mean, he probably was and good for him, but I don't think most fans enjoyed much about Thursday.

Fitzy.:

--- Quote from: decosabute on April 20, 2024, 09:28:18 pm ---Sorry, I'm just not having this. Neil has often slaughtered the players, usually when it's justified to be fair. But sometimes when it isn't. For example, I vividly remember a Pink where we'd drawn against Chelsea in 2017, and Neil absolutely lambasted the result and performance. As though it was completely unacceptable to not beat the reigning champions at home.

And anyway, you're missing my point - I didn't need him to slaughter the players or the manager on Thursday either. I just thought the "everyone should relax" message and telling us how well so many played was a bit weird and didn't at all tally with what I saw. Thursday to me wasn't a time I was angry at the players or manager - I actually felt sorry for them and for everyone. I really just thought it was a very sad, deflating end to the era of Kloppís Liverpool in Europe. But instead the mood was almost having a laugh and saying it's all fine.

There doesn't have to be anger, there doesn't have to be catastrophising, but I just expect the chat to reflect the game. A very sad end of a certain chapter and another game with a concerning lack of energy.

I'd be in violent agreement with Neil roughly 90% of the time, but this was a case where I genuinely wondered if we'd seen the same game. I still think it was pretty weird. Like he was determined to say "we're all having a lovely time". I mean, he probably was and good for him, but I don't think most fans enjoyed much about Thursday.

--- End quote ---
Maybe I was vague in my point, but Iím not suggesting Neil doesnít criticise players or the collective. Of course he does. What Iím suggesting is that now isnít the time for existential misery and hysterics. Like Klopp attempted after Thursday, we still have a huge opportunity to make history and win a league. Whatís the value in engaging in the noisy discourse that is contaminating the LFC-space right now? Will that help us win a league?

ljycb:
Yeah, I have been in a bad mood over this last week as we have started to falter, but the reality is that we are in the back-end of April and a couple of results going in our favour away from winning the league. If we can win our remaining matches, which we are perfectly capable of doing, then there is every chance that we could be about to experience one of the greatest moments in our clubís history. So I am trying my best not to let the misery take over just yet.

kavah:
Great pink from Gibbo, on the move, along River Walk, interviewing some fella on the tube - lost your phone too (or something) - strong work  ;D :scarf :champ

Gods_Left_Boot:
So, looks like Gutmann was right after all and it will be Virgil as player manager  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version