Author Topic: Overrated?  (Read 41817 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Overrated?
« Reply #240 on: February 26, 2021, 12:36:32 am »
Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf.

My ex girlfriend's brother played this in the 90s and I was like ''WTF is this shite?''

I knew of it, but had never listened to it before. I also knew it spent almost as many weeks on the UK charts as 'Dark Side of the Moon' by Pink Floyd. After hearing it I thought it must be one of the most overrated albums of all time. I'm amazed it's sold over 43 million copies.  :o
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #241 on: February 26, 2021, 01:18:36 am »
That War of the Worlds musicy thing.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: February 26, 2021, 03:58:15 am »
Anything that the Wimbledon tennis crowd find funny.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #243 on: February 26, 2021, 04:13:55 am »
"Bullitt." Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen.

The remake of "Battlestar Galactica." Shite.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #244 on: February 26, 2021, 07:10:32 am »
As the old saying goes, Nic Cage could do There Will Be Blood but DDL couldn't do Con Air.

Both would be magnificent, Nic Cage karate kicking and doing Elvis impressions throughout There Will Be Blood would of been awesome.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2021, 08:10:07 am »
Anything that the Wimbledon tennis crowd find funny.

Haha, good shout. Especially when a ball flies off the frame into the crowd (titter).

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #246 on: February 26, 2021, 09:23:08 am »
being good looking - honestly it's been the bane of my life

women throwing themselves at me - both married and single and even lesbians too!

never having to buy a drink as all the women are quite happy to buy me drinks

you guys don't know how hard my life has been

wish i was as ugly as you lot  :wave

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #247 on: February 26, 2021, 09:27:03 am »
Elbow

Detectorists

Pizza
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2021, 10:50:32 am »
Tarantino as a writer, director, producer and quite possibly as a human being (last bit is a bit harsh as I’ve never met him, but he always comes across as a massive twat)

Thai food.

David Bowie’s output from about 1980 onwards.

The whole “Brit pop” genre.

Gin.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2021, 12:26:50 pm »
Elbow

Detectorists

Pizza
Take that back.  :no
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2021, 12:27:10 pm »
Coffee

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2021, 02:18:29 pm »
Their older stuff is great, newer stuff mostly terrible.

Pretty much like every band really. I think their cover of Feeling Good is incredible though.

Incredibly bad, perhaps. Taking Nina Simone's classic rendition, full of genuine power, and turning it into a horrible histrionic indie rock whine full of bombast but no actual emotion.

Muse have always been awful and always will. Terrible student my-first-serious-Fisher-Price-music for people that think they're above the mainstream but are actually swimming in the very same bilgewater as the rest of us. And I-I-I-I will always hate them, to paraphrase the far superior Whitney Houston (or Dolly Parton).
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2021, 04:35:05 pm »
yeh forgot about muse - 3 good songs but started out as radiohead wannabes and got lost up their own arses

no, not radiohead (gods of music) but moose

also overrated:

every 'newcomer' award at every music award show ever - they always never live up to the hype

kylie - she's about 3 foot tall and has had one good song

solo john lennon - seemed like a lost boy surrounded by mother figures - he never quite got the hang of women - wrote a couple of belters but the majority of his solo output is pretty shite to be honest rehashed r'n'r or really dated for its time - hope that twat who shot him dies like a pig though
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: February 26, 2021, 05:05:37 pm »
yeh forgot about muse - 3 good songs but started out as radiohead wannabes and got lost up their own arses

no, not radiohead (gods of music) but moose

Radiohead got lost up their own arses a long time ago too. Probably after Pablo Honey.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: February 26, 2021, 05:32:16 pm »
U2

I've never managed to get into them and the praise they get is a little baffling. Don't know what it was like in the 80's when they came onto the scene but I agree that they're pretty overrated. Some of their songs are quite good but I've never actively listened to them bar a couple of tracks. I do like With or Without You and Sunday Bloody Sunday (which really captures the frustration of a Sunday) but aside from that, I've found them really dull.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2021, 05:35:56 pm »
Their early stuff is quite good, then they got really huge and released a couple of very polished/over produced albums, then experimented a bit again with mixed response/results and then starting releasing stuff that no one is arsed about. Probably quite a familiar trajectory.

Have never seen them live but am sure a ‘greatest hits’ show would be decent. Favourite album? I’d have to say the Best of U2.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2021, 05:41:22 pm »
;D

Thanks. I kind of feel like that about Radiohead. I couldn't get into much after OK Computer, despite everyone saying how brilliant it all is.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2021, 06:29:41 pm »
Haha, good shout. Especially when a ball flies off the frame into the crowd (titter).
Or when anything, or even nothing, happens in a men's doubles game.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2021, 06:56:57 pm »
You do wonder what the opinions of U2 would be were Bono not such an arsehole.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2021, 07:00:51 pm »

Is he? He looks like one but he's generally been off my radar.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2021, 07:06:10 pm »
The remake of "Battlestar Galactica." Shite.

You can frack off with that one mate!

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2021, 07:08:03 pm »
He's got the biggest collection of hatchbacks in the country

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2021, 07:53:49 pm »

The same ?  Brilliant early on but basically just vapid stadium rock now. 

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2021, 11:46:38 pm »

They basically didn't put a foot wrong through "The Joshua Tree" - I didn't know a single person up to that point who shit on them for any reason, because there wasn't anything to shit on them about. In the context of the time, their music was fresh and brilliant. If you consider "Rattle and Hum" a concert film and don't count it among their discography, they made it most of the way through "Achtung Baby" without a step wrong musically, too. Everything since that album is like everything the Stones have put out in the past 35-40 years - who cares? They are old successful men now, and nobody wants to listen to old successful men make rock and roll.

Most musicians are massive dorks, but unlike them, Bono never managed to find a way to overcome his self-consciousness and turn his innate lack of cool into cool. He tried to play it off by mocking it, but it just didn't work at all. He has since circled back around to his aching, overwhelming sincerity, and when you hear him speak about anything political, or especially about music icons like Sinatra or fucking Elvis, you want to throw yourself off a bridge. But he's not an arsehole. Just a massive, massive dork.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2021, 09:25:57 am »
re:u2

I've never managed to get into them and the praise they get is a little baffling. Don't know what it was like in the 80's when they came onto the scene but I agree that they're pretty overrated. Some of their songs are quite good but I've never actively listened to them bar a couple of tracks. I do like With or Without You and Sunday Bloody Sunday (which really captures the frustration of a Sunday) but aside from that, I've found them really dull.

so a valid opinion then  :wave

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2021, 09:33:42 am »
They basically didn't put a foot wrong through "The Joshua Tree" - I didn't know a single person up to that point who shit on them for any reason, because there wasn't anything to shit on them about. In the context of the time, their music was fresh and brilliant. If you consider "Rattle and Hum" a concert film and don't count it among their discography, they made it most of the way through "Achtung Baby" without a step wrong musically, too. Everything since that album is like everything the Stones have put out in the past 35-40 years - who cares? They are old successful men now, and nobody wants to listen to old successful men make rock and roll.

Most musicians are massive dorks, but unlike them, Bono never managed to find a way to overcome his self-consciousness and turn his innate lack of cool into cool. He tried to play it off by mocking it, but it just didn't work at all. He has since circled back around to his aching, overwhelming sincerity, and when you hear him speak about anything political, or especially about music icons like Sinatra or fucking Elvis, you want to throw yourself off a bridge. But he's not an arsehole. Just a massive, massive dork.

bono is bono just as you are who you are

we like to throw stones at 'rock' stars and celebrities because other people place them on pedestals and because we are slightly envious (and don't like to admit this) and this results in unwarranted criticism

in saying all that, that Shane MacGowan is a psuedo irish kent born twat

now there's a prick

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2021, 09:34:48 am »
re:u2

so a valid opinion then  :wave

Why would I listen to a band whose music I don't like?

When I said I don't actively listen to them, I don't seek out their music because I don't like what I've heard - I've heard a number of their songs because for a while because I couldn't escape them :P - I just can't understand the praise they used to get.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:39:41 am by Hazell »

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2021, 09:58:52 am »
Why would I listen to a band whose music I don't like?

When I said I don't actively listen to them, I don't seek out their music because I don't like what I've heard - I've heard a number of their songs because for a while because I couldn't escape them :P - I just can't understand the praise they used to get.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2021, 10:46:54 am »
I'm not sure what's confusing you here?

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2021, 11:25:10 am »
They are an odd band. They’ve become a bit of a punchline since the late 90s/early 2000s I think. They spent their first 20 odd years being critically revered and massively popular and then the next 20 being a joke, and now it’s got to the point that the general public are rarely aware of them being really good.

Yet from Boy and up to and including Zooropa, they never released a poor album.The latter album in particular, with tracks like Zooropa, Lemon, Stay and The Wanderer is fantastic.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2021, 11:26:57 am »
I'm not sure what's confusing you here?

it's all clear now

you wrote bono a letter and he didn't reply

after that your love turned to hate

and now all that hurt is reignited by a random thread on a football forum

all that pain you've kept locked away, hidden, suppressed for so many years that needed an outlet now has one

behind your vitriol we can see that that love for bono still burns as brightly as it did all those years ago when you were younger and much more vulnerable

but that vulnerability still manifests itself as it did all those years ago

you've thought of writing bono another letter but your fragility wouldn't know how to handle another rejection so you languish in a maelstrom of emotions - a mental cage of you own construction

see - i'm not confused one little bit, i understand you perfectly

:wave

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2021, 11:28:58 am »
it's all clear now

you wrote bono a letter and he didn't reply

after that your love turned to hate

and now all that hurt is reignited by a random thread on a football forum

all that pain you've kept locked away, hidden, suppressed for so many years that needed an outlet now has one

behind your vitriol we can see that that love for bono still burns as brightly as it did all those years ago when you were younger and much more vulnerable

but that vulnerability still manifests itself as it did all those years ago

you've thought of writing bono another letter but your fragility wouldn't know how to handle another rejection so you languish in a maelstrom of emotions - a mental cage of you own construction

see - i'm not confused one little bit, i understand you perfectly

:wave

It's time to stop posting, Bono.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2021, 11:30:31 am »
No idea what's going on now :lmao

The only thing I wrote in that letter to Bono was asking him why he wears his mother's cataract glasses.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: February 27, 2021, 11:36:39 am »
Any band with a member in it who calls themselves “The Edge” are fucking shite and always have been.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2021, 11:40:35 am »
No idea what's going on now :lmao

The only thing I wrote in that letter to Bono was asking him why he wears his mother's cataract glasses.

he only wears those glasses because...

he still hasn't found what he's looking for

8)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2021, 12:21:10 pm »
Angelina Jolie's lip implants.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2021, 12:22:36 pm »
Any band with a member in it who calls themselves “The Edge” are fucking shite and always have been.

You to, thought it was just me that thought that.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2021, 12:31:37 pm »
You to, thought it was just me that thought that.

that quip should fill you with pride

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2021, 01:38:59 pm »

The same, not very good.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2021, 04:06:27 pm »
Star Wars.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.