Poll

Obviously the Brexit effects are only just showing and it's going to get a lot, lot worse.. but for now..

.. Brexit is going great. Sunlit fucking plateaus full of fucking wonder
.. Brexit is just taking time, it'll be reet
Moo!
.. Brexit is pretty bad, but maybe will get better
.. Brexit is terrible
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post.
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post AND I like cheese

Author Topic: Brexit. the Con continues  (Read 532427 times)

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
Re: Brexit. the Con continues
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 09:49:35 am »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2020, 10:00:17 am »
https://twitter.com/edwardleighmp/status/1292781286231289857?s=21

Leading Tory Brexiteer has solution

The MP for Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.  Gammon central!

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2020, 11:23:48 am »
Wasn't it really all about hiding offshore money and avoiding tax.
Britain and its colonies are the international hub for hiding money offshore.
Blame austerity on immigrants and the EU, get all the thick racist english gammons fewming over imaginary injustices perpetrated on them by immigrants and the evil EU then push through Brexit on the back of it so all the offshore  tax avoidance in the City can continue unhindered by the incoming EU legislation.
With a bit of help from Putin as well of course, as the break up of Europe aligns with his interests.
Boris just follows the money, waft a bunch of £50's under his privileged nose and he is yours.
Britain is fucked.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2020, 11:46:13 am »
That was just bullshit to get all the xenophobic public on board.  Brexit was ll about deregulation and avoiding the new tax avoidance measures for the people in charge.  They wouldn't have an issue with migrants entering the country, earning £3 an h our in sweatshops for example.

Absolutely, they lapped it up though.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2020, 12:27:08 pm »
Blame austerity on immigrants and the EU, get all the thick racist english gammons fewming over imaginary injustices perpetrated on them by immigrants and the evil EU then push through Brexit on the back of it so all the offshore  tax avoidance in the City can continue unhindered by the incoming EU legislation.
With a bit of help from Putin as well of course, as the break up of Europe aligns with his interests.
Boris just follows the money, waft a bunch of £50's under his privileged nose and he is yours.
Britain is fucked.

Agree 100%!

That's why the next US election is far more critical to the UK than it normally would be.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2020, 01:37:51 pm »
That was always going to happen which made the "take back our borders" brigade even more laughable.

Like you say France will have no reason to help stem the tide, they want rid of them so they will hand wave them through. Wouldn't surprise me if they provide them with boats 😁

The onus will be on us to prevent them and with a disastrous government and no money it seems unlikely.

The BBC were reporting this morning that the majority of the boats seized so far were originally sold in the UK so the people traffickers are obviously based here.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2020, 01:39:30 pm »
That was just bullshit to get all the xenophobic public on board.  Brexit was ll about deregulation and avoiding the new tax avoidance measures for the people in charge.  They wouldn't have an issue with migrants entering the country, earning £3 an hour in sweatshops for example.

You can bet your bottom dollar this exploitation will continue Brexit or not.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2020, 02:57:35 pm »
The BBC were reporting this morning that the majority of the boats seized so far were originally sold in the UK so the people traffickers are obviously based here.

Think those involved in the death of all those Vietnamese (I think) in the lorry last year were from Northern Ireland and someplace in the north west.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2020, 03:23:37 pm »
Britain is fucked.

Part of those leading the Leave campaign were certainly motivated by the steady expansion of EU anti-tax dodging/anti-money laundering legislation. This was moving towards forcing every country (and, crucially, all their territories) to provide full and transparent access to all financial services and company-register information & documentation. The use of networks of shell companies to hide wealth and assets is a massive problem. Two comprehensive studies in recent years have concluded that, depending on methodology and criteria, somewhere between $8tn and $36tn is stashed in secretive havens. The Panama and Paradise Papers exposed the scale of involvement (although we've heard a suspiciously tiny amount of news of follow-up prosecutions and confiscations).

But other leaders in the Leave campaign were driven by being able to have their 'bonfire of red tape' - which is, as we all know, a euphemism for removing protections for workers, consumers and the environment.

Others were simply eying the commercial opportunities they could exploit.

Whilst some were simply fuckwitted nationalists.

Whatever, they successfully harnessed the votes of millions of people who are disenfranchised by the current socio-economic model/system and, with much help from a right-wing, anti-EU media gaslighting them for years and years, convinced them that the EU was one of the biggest reasons for the shittiness of their lives and that Brexit would solve that.

Worth noting that the Times, Torygraph, Daily Heil, Scum, Express, Star are all [were, in the case of the Express and Star, as they were bought by Reach in 2018] owned by multi-millionaires/billionaires who have been widely accused of tax-dodging and use of offshore arrangements in secretive tax havens. Funny that.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2020, 08:01:44 pm »
When's the point of no return for a deal?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2020, 09:17:55 pm »
When's the point of no return for a deal?

Think last update few weeks back I read had EU referring to October.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2020, 10:28:05 pm »
Think last update few weeks back I read had EU referring to October.
Oooh , dead in a ditch time.

Thanks
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2020, 03:42:55 pm »
Share far and wide good people of rawk.  Don't let these charlatans destroy our food industry along with everything else.

https://secure.greenpeace.org.uk/tradetyem

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2020, 08:13:32 pm »
I see the Sugar Beet industry has suddenly realised that they are about to be put out of business by Tates who will get a £75m bonus from brexit Sugar trade deals with Belize
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2020, 06:37:09 am »
^ beggars belief that farmers were solidly behind Brexit. Fucking dickheads

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2020, 07:17:31 am »
^ beggars belief that farmers were solidly behind Brexit. Fucking dickheads

The BBCs Countryfile Programne ran with a story last year saying up to 60% of small farmers would go under post Brexit. The big farming companies who operate on large scale factory methods will be ideally placed to grab land on the cheap. Big landowners like Dyson and a good few of the backbench Tory MPs will be able to expand at the expense of those hill and dairy farmers who the TV love to do stories about. Many of whom voted Brexit and Tory.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2020, 11:09:34 am »
Taking back control

EU negotiators have rejected a British request for a migration pact that would allow the government to return asylum seekers to other European countries.

When the Brexit transition period expires on 31 December, the government will lose the right to transfer refugees and migrants to the EU country in which they arrived, a cornerstone of the European asylum system known as the Dublin regulation.

The government is seeking to replicate the European system outside the bloc, although the Home Office has complained that the EU rules are “rigid, inflexible and abused by migrants and activist lawyers”.
https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/20/eu-rejects-british-plan-for-post-brexit-return-of-asylum-seekers?

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2020, 12:00:40 pm »
Taking back control

I have to say that for a while I thought all this "We'll get all the great stuff from the EU while not having the bad stuff" was some kind of ploy by UK politicians to make it look like they're trying to get the best for the country, while in truth they were working towards a no deal. I'm starting to think however, that they actually are thick enough to believe that the EU will accept a deal that says the UK can send back asylum seekers who came from an EU country, while offering to take back asylum seekers who came to the EU via the UK, but not by plane. That's like asking your best mate to pay you 100 quid every time win a trophy and you'll do the same whenever Everton does...

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2020, 12:31:38 pm »
Where’s Johnson’s ‘oven-ready’ deal?  In fact, where is Johnson?

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2020, 01:48:02 pm »
I have to say that for a while I thought all this "We'll get all the great stuff from the EU while not having the bad stuff" was some kind of ploy by UK politicians to make it look like they're trying to get the best for the country, while in truth they were working towards a no deal. I'm starting to think however, that they actually are thick enough to believe that the EU will accept a deal that says the UK can send back asylum seekers who came from an EU country, while offering to take back asylum seekers who came to the EU via the UK, but not by plane. That's like asking your best mate to pay you 100 quid every time win a trophy and you'll do the same whenever Everton does...
I posted a video a video a few yrs back of Tony Benn arguing the EU need us more than we need them, how the German car industry would force their government to give us a good deal, he was arguing we can have a cake and eat it Brexit, he meant every word am sure.
Thats been one of the problems, long standing Eurosceptics who never challenged their long held beliefs, am sure many of the MPs who have wanted us to leave believed this rubbish for decades.

MYTH 12: The German car industry sells 750,000 cars in the UK – it will demand a deal to protect its own interests

TRUTH: The German and EU car industries have been clear: the single market matters more to them than a deal with the UK. The UK is an important car market but it only accounts for around 10% of EU production volumes,4 while we ship more than 40% of everything we make to customers in the EU.
https://www.smmt.co.uk/2019/07/13-automotive-brexit-myths-busted/

Many of our politicians never understood the reason why the EU has certain rules and regulations, they know about the rules but they don't appreciate just how important they are to the EU basic principles.
A no deal became a certainty in Sept/Oct 2016 unless we agreed to drop red lines, the they need us more than we need them bul.. argument was lost before the end of 2016.
We heard so many promises/lies before the referendum. am certain the leave campaign knew they were lying, so I think some ignorant MPs genuinely believed we did hold all the cards for a while in 2016. some like Johnson and Frottage just lied through their teeth.

video of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson arguing just how important it is for us to stay in the single market, how any PM would be off his head to take us out of the EU.
https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1287403811699597312

There were a few left wing MPs like John Mann who wanted us to leave on principle, how nobody should be allowed to tell us what to do, Corbyn also holds that opinion,   how the EU can stop us nationalising our railways. when he was challenged on this he admitted they don't stop us but it's the principle, they can if they want. they never understood why the EU have certain rules and regulations, if they did then they would know the EU would never stop us nationalizing our railways as it is no threat to EU members trade. I will never understand why they never looked deeper into the disastrous implications of leaving the SM+CU before arguing for us to leave the EU, remember some of the arguments made before the referendum? they seemed more concerned about other things that don't affect us, Greek debt. poor people outside the EU. we argued these things will look trivial when they sh.. hits the fan. I don't hear anyone talking about these things today.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 03:26:26 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2020, 03:22:58 pm »
Yeah, I get that the whole "They need us more than we need them" was a big part in all of this. However, I wouldn't have thought that there are people out there who are actually stupid enough to still believe that the EU can be bullied into something just because it's what the UK wants, when in the last three or four years it was basically the EU calling the shots and the UK bending over again and again. It's just insane.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2020, 03:27:54 pm »
Yeah, I get that the whole "They need us more than we need them" was a big part in all of this. However, I wouldn't have thought that there are people out there who are actually stupid enough to still believe that the EU can be bullied into something just because it's what the UK wants, when in the last three or four years it was basically the EU calling the shots and the UK bending over again and again. It's just insane.

England is full of very stupid people, blinded by ignorance, racism and years of murdoch's propaganda.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2020, 04:51:28 pm »
There were people who still believed this for years after the vote to leave, many leave voters don't even follow the news on Brexit. I was speaking to a lad I bumped into  from working in Fords, we are both retired now, he told me he voted to leave, we got onto Halewoods future if we leave the EU, the talks with the EU had started so it must have been after the end of 2017, he told me Halewood is fine, his words were, They need us more than we need them so we are going to get a good deal. I just repeated what he said, You think they need us more than we need them so we will get a good deal,, you haven't been following the news have you, he looked embarrassed.
Leave campaigners/voters went from arguing we hold all the cards in 2016+ to the EU are uncompromising selfish bas,, who want to punish us 2020.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 05:26:27 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2020, 01:22:40 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2020, 02:18:07 pm »
There were people who still believed this for years after the vote to leave, many leave voters don't even follow the news on Brexit. I was speaking to a lad I bumped into  from working in Fords, we are both retired now, he told me he voted to leave, we got onto Halewoods future if we leave the EU, the talks with the EU had started so it must have been after the end of 2017, he told me Halewood is fine, his words were, They need us more than we need them so we are going to get a good deal. I just repeated what he said, You think they need us more than we need them so we will get a good deal,, you haven't been following the news have you, he looked embarrassed.
Leave campaigners/voters went from arguing we hold all the cards in 2016+ to the EU are uncompromising selfish bas,, who want to punish us 2020.  ::)

Out of interest oldfordie,  do you  have any info on JLR's situation currently and beyond Brexit,  beyond what's in the news,  considering this used to be your field of work...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2020, 02:27:09 pm »
Oh look!

The UK over a Brexit Barrel once again

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/23/uk-to-drop-facebook-tax-covid-in-favour-of-post-brexit-trade-deal

Taking back control though

At least the barrel will contain gallons, not good, old Imperial gallons, but at least US gallons and not those horrid, sneaky foreign litres.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2020, 03:04:06 pm »
Out of interest oldfordie,  do you  have any info on JLR's situation currently and beyond Brexit,  beyond what's in the news,  considering this used to be your field of work...
Sorry Surfer. I left over 14 yrs ago. only thing ive heard is the moods not good/optimistic.
I keep in touch on the online Facebook Halewood site were retired ex workers keep in touch but not much talk about Brexit any more really, more of a social thing. also keep bumping into old workmates every now and then but they only have opinions like myself rather than inside info. sadly happening less and less these days.
I think the plants safe short term considering the massive investment put in over the last few years. I watch videos on you tube everyhow and then showing how much the place has changed, they have literately ripped the guts out the place and replaced it with new equipment, it must have cost a fortune.
I assume they still export a hell of a lot to the USA which is another big plus making Liverpool the perfect site to operate from.
If things look bleak then I imagine they will do what they have always done in the past, chop a shift but this is different. it's not a slump they know we can recover from causing the problems, this is because our government imposed awful trading conditions on all importing/exporting companies in this country. I sincerely hope JLR remains safe, Nissan I couldn't give a s.. about.
Crunch time will come when a new model needs allocating or when it's time for big up grades of equipment.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:09:30 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2020, 04:01:17 pm »

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2020, 06:05:00 pm »
Where’s Johnson’s ‘oven-ready’ deal?  In fact, where is Johnson?

Hopefully with his head firmly wedged in said oven.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2020, 06:10:06 pm »
Cheers for the response.
:thumbup
I will post if I hear anything.
               Emily Maitlis

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2020, 06:19:49 pm »
A leaked dossier has revealed the Government's emergency planning to protect the UK if a second coronavirus wave coincides with a no-deal Brexit.

A Cabinet Office “reasonable worst-case scenario” document shows the military may be drafted in to airdrop food to the Channel Islands.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/leaked-dossier-no-deal-brexit-coronavirus-a4531306.html

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-08-23/dossier-reveals-worst-case-scenario-if-no-deal-brexit-and-second-covid-wave-coincide
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 06:24:23 pm by TSC »

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2020, 06:29:40 pm »
A leaked dossier has revealed the Government's emergency planning to protect the UK if a second coronavirus wave coincides with a no-deal Brexit.

A Cabinet Office “reasonable worst-case scenario” document shows the military may be drafted in to airdrop food to the Channel Islands.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/leaked-dossier-no-deal-brexit-coronavirus-a4531306.html
WTF, They really do think the public are stupid.
What deal? there is no deal except the WA which isn't a future deal, it's the agreement we  agreed to for leaving the EU, we are heading for a no deal..

Cabinet Office Minister Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove said: “We got Brexit done with a great deal in January and we are working flat out to make sure the United Kingdom is ready for the changes and huge opportunities at the end of the year as we regain our political and economic independence for the first time in almost fifty years.
               Emily Maitlis

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2020, 06:33:25 pm »
WTF, They really do think the public are stupid.
What deal? there is no deal except the WA which isn't a future deal, it's the agreement we  agreed to for leaving the EU, we are heading for a no deal..

Cabinet Office Minister Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove said: “We got Brexit done with a great deal in January and we are working flat out to make sure the United Kingdom is ready for the changes and huge opportunities at the end of the year as we regain our political and economic independence for the first time in almost fifty years.

Interesting to note the 'leak' was to Murdoch's tabloid. 

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2020, 07:00:21 pm »
Interesting to note the 'leak' was to Murdoch's tabloid.
Why. do you think they knew Murdoch's going to rip into Johnson over the next few months.
               Emily Maitlis

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2020, 07:14:06 pm »
Why. do you think they knew Murdoch's going to rip into Johnson over the next few months.

Who knows.  Could be a calculated 'leak' to inform/prepare the masses via tomorrow's papers.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2020, 11:10:51 pm »
"Political and economic independence" ::)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2020, 10:00:34 am »
"Political and economic independence" ::)

He forgot to add "so we can really fuck you over" to the end of the sentence  ;).

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2020, 10:30:45 am »

I think the men in grey suits have calculated that Johnson was their useful idiot. They were quite happy to let him “get brexit done” in order to get their deregulation and protect their tax frauds. Once the shit hits the fan, he will be the scapegoat (we are already seeing signs of this in the press) they will drop him and put forward another PM.
Thatcher was used in the same way although she wasn’t a lazy gobshite, she was dropped and blamed once she had fucked the unions and sold off the utilities to the hedge funders.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2020, 11:34:21 am »
I think the men in grey suits have calculated that Johnson was their useful idiot. They were quite happy to let him “get brexit done” in order to get their deregulation and protect their tax frauds. Once the shit hits the fan, he will be the scapegoat (we are already seeing signs of this in the press) they will drop him and put forward another PM.
Thatcher was used in the same way although she wasn’t a lazy gobshite, she was dropped and blamed once she had fucked the unions and sold off the utilities to the hedge funders.
Yeah, Ive noticed a few of the right wing front pages have been crucifying Johnson over the last few months. you expect to see headlines like that attacking the Labour leader not the Tories. I don't think it's all about Brexit either, imagine they are p.. off with him with his handling of Covid.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2020, 04:06:54 pm »
This piece on Brexiteers never being satisfied is great and in line with what I've long thought, especially these bits

At one level, there is an obvious pattern: trying to give Brexiters what they want in order to appease them proves to be pointless because, whatever they are given, they come back – like blackmailers or protection racketeers – with even more extortionate demands.

But beneath that is something much stranger and far more dangerous.

The Brexit movement was always one of campaign and complaint, feeding on a sense of victimhood. It thrived on the idea of being the powerless ‘silent majority’, forbidden by the ‘PC elite’ from ‘saying what we really think’. Given such a mindset, winning the referendum was actually a disaster for them because, from then on, they were in charge and their policy has defined British politics.

Ever since then, they have sought to regain the comfort zone of victimhood. Their driving force is not, as it might seem, the constant fear of betrayal but the constant need and desire to be betrayed.

[...]

Since the referendum an entire nation has been shackled to the political psychology of a relatively small number of people who – like rebellious teenagers secretly wanting to be set boundaries – demand total victory whilst craving defeat. It makes it impossible to turn Brexit into a workable policy because, at heart, it is not a policy demand at all, but a demand to be thwarted.
https://bylinetimes.com/2020/08/13/paradox-of-victimhood-no-form-of-brexit-will-ever-satisfy-brexit-ultras/