Author Topic: Fifa 21 - Next Gen  (Read 15085 times)

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
Re: Fifa 21 - Next Gen
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2020, 01:21:45 pm »
Thanks. I'm more likely to go for the mainline console than the Series S, so would potentially suit me.
Aye I've pre-ordered on the PS4, knowing I get PS5 version free was a good carrot to dangle.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2020, 01:26:38 pm »
Aye I've pre-ordered on the PS4, knowing I get PS5 version free was a good carrot to dangle.
Agreed, it's good to see them doing it with a few games, like Cyberpunk etc.

I'm not hugely clued up with consoles and games these days but I don't know why you'd then buy the 'superior' version if it's going to be £15-£20 more. Just to have the physical game I suppose.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #42 on: October 2, 2020, 12:27:38 am »
Is that Volta-thingy new or was that in Fifa20? Have played that, but only a couple of times and can't remember. Have tried the mode on Fifa21 and fucking hell that stuff is fucking cringeworthy. After a couple of matches it looks fun enough as a game mode, especially for people who know how to use more then that four buttons for passes and shooting and the one for sprinting, but fucking hell the outfits, the characters, the storyline and absolutely everything surrounding the gameplay is fucking horrible...

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #43 on: October 5, 2020, 10:23:10 am »
Going to give Fifa a miss this year was watching my mate stream the beta or the free play version not much has changed or looks different .

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 5, 2020, 10:45:30 am »
When does it even come out? I'm not getting it but I wouldn't buy it for the current gen anyway I'd wait to get it on the 5/X.

• Kopite
« Reply #45 on: October 5, 2020, 10:52:39 am »
When does it even come out? I'm not getting it but I wouldn't buy it for the current gen anyway I'd wait to get it on the 5/X.
Friday I think

Activates midnight tonight if you've purchased the Ultimate Edition

Free upgrade to next-gen so no point waiting

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 5, 2020, 10:55:11 am »
Friday I think

Activates midnight tonight if you've purchased the Ultimate Edition

Free upgrade to next-gen so no point waiting

Ah fair enough. Is that VOLTA shite still in it?

• Kopite
« Reply #47 on: October 5, 2020, 11:08:20 am »
Think so aye.  I thought it was a cool idea but didn't enjoy it at all, The Journey was far better IMO

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 5, 2020, 11:17:57 am »
Early reports stating it plays a lot weightier and a bit less 'arcadey,' which sounds good to me.

I pretty much always dislike Fifa more than I enjoy it, but find it addictive nonetheless. I still think PES plays a better game mind, but my main enjoyment comes from doing protracted career modes with League 2 sides and trying to take them up the divisions with realistic, self-imposed rules, such as:

No spending unrealistic fees on players unless you've grown the club enough to legitimately sign someone like that. For example, a lot of my family follow Crewe Alex as well as Liverpool, so I did a career mode with them last year. Crewe haven't spent a single penny on transfer fees in over a decade and refuse to pay agent's fees also, so I could only use a youth academy and free agents or loan signings until I was a few divisions up. For example, even with a starting budget of £2m in league two, Crewe have never spent more than £600k on a player (Rodney Jack back in 1996/7, after they'd sold Danny Murphy to us and Dele Adebola to Birmingham for a combined £3m, otherwise still no funds for player purchases) so it would be ridiculous to sign some Championship level speedster striker.

No signing players who would never drop to your level or go to your club.

Never growing the wage bill above a certain percent each year, usually less than 20% unless you get promoted.

Selling your players if bigger clubs come in for them with realistic offers (horrible one this, that consistently throws long term planning out the window but that's the reality for smaller clubs).

Not sending scouts to or buying players from certain leagues that the team would realistically not have a scouting network in.

Not using a transfer boost or 'top scout' or catalogue boost - unless that's the 'narrative' I want to pursue before the particular career mode.

It does stop you from going League Two to Premier League in three years with around 50 player squad churn, but does make it more rewarding than just signing the fastest 70+ rated striker you can get and banging in 45+ with them in League Two.

Those are some rules I tend to play by with lower down teams and Fifa is good for that, for some narrative building. It may be 'sad' but it's typically how I get the most enjoyment out of the game and it's pick up and put down as I can probably only fit in a few hour-long sessions a week these days.

So I'll probably get 21 on Friday and simply hope it's up to a better standard than some of the annoying quirks of 20.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2020, 11:20:30 am by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 5, 2020, 11:44:30 am »
I've been playing the trial, and it does seem better than Fifa 20 (but yes, it is basically the same game). The passing and dribbling feels better, more weighty, and the new dribbling feature seems fun too, I've never been able to do skills but it seems a cool and effective aternative.

My issue is that I play Ultimate Team and the first couple of weeks it always feels better and slower, before they ratch up the speed and everything in the face of people complaining. I think the competitive side especially like it to be super fast and all about their gamer reflexes and they hold great influence with EA due to the amount they spend on the game.

There did seem to still be some of the same issues as the last one though. AI being way too overpowered so people camped out in 1 depth and just smashing it up to their attackers. EA deserve criticism but I've always found the community to be the worst thing about FIFA. It's probably the same with every game really, but if there's an overpowered way to play, people will abuse it. They'll also still complain about those overpowered ways ruining the game, but then also complain there's no consistent way to score if they patch it.

I think there's a fun game in there if you're not playing against arseholes. But I really wish they would do a complete revamp.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #50 on: October 5, 2020, 01:02:41 pm »

It is and it's fucking cringeworthy. I have only played a couple of matches and the gameplay feels rather nice I would say, but the whole stuff surrounding it is just awful. Including Kaka as a guest star. Not sure what the outcome of the story is, but he comes across as if he was the bad guy in it... :D

Offline jediwarrior

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51 on: October 5, 2020, 01:10:15 pm »
I believe this version you can put Transfers on strict in career mode, so it stops players joining your club who wouldn't normally join or players from rivals joining you or your players joining them.

Early reports stating it plays a lot weightier and a bit less 'arcadey,' which sounds good to me.

I pretty much always dislike Fifa more than I enjoy it, but find it addictive nonetheless. I still think PES plays a better game mind, but my main enjoyment comes from doing protracted career modes with League 2 sides and trying to take them up the divisions with realistic, self-imposed rules, such as:

No spending unrealistic fees on players unless you've grown the club enough to legitimately sign someone like that. For example, a lot of my family follow Crewe Alex as well as Liverpool, so I did a career mode with them last year. Crewe haven't spent a single penny on transfer fees in over a decade and refuse to pay agent's fees also, so I could only use a youth academy and free agents or loan signings until I was a few divisions up. For example, even with a starting budget of £2m in league two, Crewe have never spent more than £600k on a player (Rodney Jack back in 1996/7, after they'd sold Danny Murphy to us and Dele Adebola to Birmingham for a combined £3m, otherwise still no funds for player purchases) so it would be ridiculous to sign some Championship level speedster striker.

No signing players who would never drop to your level or go to your club.

Never growing the wage bill above a certain percent each year, usually less than 20% unless you get promoted.

Selling your players if bigger clubs come in for them with realistic offers (horrible one this, that consistently throws long term planning out the window but that's the reality for smaller clubs).

Not sending scouts to or buying players from certain leagues that the team would realistically not have a scouting network in.

Not using a transfer boost or 'top scout' or catalogue boost - unless that's the 'narrative' I want to pursue before the particular career mode.

It does stop you from going League Two to Premier League in three years with around 50 player squad churn, but does make it more rewarding than just signing the fastest 70+ rated striker you can get and banging in 45+ with them in League Two.

Those are some rules I tend to play by with lower down teams and Fifa is good for that, for some narrative building. It may be 'sad' but it's typically how I get the most enjoyment out of the game and it's pick up and put down as I can probably only fit in a few hour-long sessions a week these days.

So I'll probably get 21 on Friday and simply hope it's up to a better standard than some of the annoying quirks of 20.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 5, 2020, 01:42:56 pm »
I believe this version you can put Transfers on strict in career mode, so it stops players joining your club who wouldn't normally join or players from rivals joining you or your players joining them.
I like the sound of that, the AI for transfers between non-player clubs has hopefully been revamped too, it's awful. First transfer window is basically a huge 'change places' between all the top players at the best European clubs, including some awful sales that would never be allowed in real life. Consistently, Liverpool let players like Alexander Arnold or Gomez go to second tier European sides for rubbish fees. It just wouldn't happen and needs looking at.

I've been playing the trial, and it does seem better than Fifa 20 (but yes, it is basically the same game). The passing and dribbling feels better, more weighty, and the new dribbling feature seems fun too, I've never been able to do skills but it seems a cool and effective aternative.

My issue is that I play Ultimate Team and the first couple of weeks it always feels better and slower, before they ratch up the speed and everything in the face of people complaining. I think the competitive side especially like it to be super fast and all about their gamer reflexes and they hold great influence with EA due to the amount they spend on the game.

There did seem to still be some of the same issues as the last one though. AI being way too overpowered so people camped out in 1 depth and just smashing it up to their attackers. EA deserve criticism but I've always found the community to be the worst thing about FIFA. It's probably the same with every game really, but if there's an overpowered way to play, people will abuse it. They'll also still complain about those overpowered ways ruining the game, but then also complain there's no consistent way to score if they patch it.

I think there's a fun game in there if you're not playing against arseholes. But I really wish they would do a complete revamp.
Interesting input about the competitive scene. I used to be a fiend for Ultimate Team 7/8 years ago but refused to ever spend actual money on it. But they could maybe look at doing something like Epic did when they still had the Gears of War Franchise - a game type or mode with a different set of speeds/weightings to it. I personally would rather a weighty, slower, more considered game that represents more of what we see in real life, even if this does result in only a few good chances per game. I'd also like to see the truly rapid players stand out as that rather than everyone seem to be a speedster. It'll never happen and many might consider this lurch towards realism boring, but I wouldn't.

And the argument of 'change the sliders' doesn't really solve a lot of the games issues. A hardest game mode that doesn't use exploits and temporary boosts to the players and actually beats you through strong, realistic football would be a nice addition too. Ultimate feels like you give the ball away and even in League Two, someone is blamming one in against you from 30 yards.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #53 on: October 5, 2020, 03:11:10 pm »
Just attempted to play two online games, speed up lag every other minute. Nice to see they’ve fixed their main issue.
AHA!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 8, 2020, 11:50:56 am »
Probably going to pop to Asda Friday morning to get it, I've a £30 voucher to use so will be getting it cut price. Asda have in the past been shite at stocking even the biggest games on release, I'd probably pop in around midnight to get it out the way if they could be relied upon to have it. I think they likely just start selling it around 7/8 in the morning.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #55 on: October 9, 2020, 07:35:59 am »
Ugh it has a rewind feature like Forza does

Basically if you mess up a play, you can rewind to just before that and try again. I hate it.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 9, 2020, 08:19:51 am »
That is pathetic.
Peak handholding in a football game.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57 on: October 9, 2020, 10:06:45 am »
Ugh it has a rewind feature like Forza does

Basically if you mess up a play, you can rewind to just before that and try again. I hate it.

Everton have been using it all season

Keep it quiet though, don't want Oleh finding out about it

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 9, 2020, 11:09:42 am »
No chance I'll be using anything like a rewind feature. Hate that beyond belief.

I've started a career mode this morning, I put it on the 'strict' transfers setting but it still seems littered with problems - The main issue now is that clubs who aren't direct rivals refuse to even negotiate with you over players (trying to sign Diaby from leverkusen, won't even speak with me about the possibility for some reason) and the AI doing ridiculous quibbling over fees - Barcelona came in at £47,500,000 for Gini, I wanted £50m, they upped their offer to £48m, I asked for £49m and they threw a hissy and said the fee was ridiculous etc.

Seems strange, needs patching already. I like that there's less ability to sign rival players and see moves you'd never, but they seem to have created an altogether new set of problems with this. Loose probably gives you more freedom and imposing your own rules is probably more effective than this where you have to pay silly money for players (Dortmund wanted £117m for Haaland) and can't negotiate within any sort of range for selling your players.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 9, 2020, 01:38:45 pm »
Derek Rae and Lee Dixon as the FIFA 21 commentators. Fucking dreadful. Didn't know until I played a Seasons match.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 9, 2020, 06:48:22 pm »
What’s the consensus then? Same as last year?

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2020, 01:53:59 am »
What’s the consensus then? Same as last year?
Few bells and whistles but yeah pretty much

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2020, 01:53:19 pm »
Watched some games on Twitch. Ping-pong passing and skillmoves fest. When's PES out?

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2020, 04:12:46 pm »
I'm actually really enjoying it. Game feels much slower to me. Feel like every player is getting a touch. Reminds me a lot of how pes used to play. Players feel heavier and games feel much closer. Feel like the AI are smarter to, like I was playing bayern Munich and they kept getting it out to Sane every chance they got.

Also using youngsters I've found sometimes they totally boss it even if there only about 70-75 rated. Like Camavinga has been amazing for me with everything going through him. I feel like it's a lot less arcade like.

Albeit I only play career mode and don't play online or fut

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2020, 04:39:04 pm »
Really? Think the AI is the same usual shite, every attack all the seem to do is pass to a winger, he does a Milan Baros and runs to the corner, they then dick about with it and seemingly refuse to put a cross in.

I actually think there is a good game there this year, but the AI will always be the reason I steer away from Career.
AHA!

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2020, 04:59:11 pm »
My only issue is the AI seem to over use agile dribble on legendary. It's too over the top

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2020, 09:19:59 pm »
My only issue is the AI seem to over use agile dribble on legendary. It's too over the top
This, it’s a major issue. You can’t tackle or guide them away from goal effectively and even League Two players do it non stop. Makes for some very frustrating goals conceded.

It’s almost identical to last year otherwise and even with the gameplay set to slow with the pace related sliders dropped right down it’s still too quick and too ping pong.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2020, 11:13:49 pm »
The lack of ai crossing when on the wing is a pain in the ass

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2020, 08:30:30 am »
I'm better at this than FIFA 20  ;D  While I don't like the menus at all (the OCD in me snaps when they don't stretch all the content evenly) and the Transfer Market UI is still shite, the game plays a lot better I feel. Player movement is more weighted, which feels more realistic.

One thing I'm happy with, is they removed the need to purchase Fitness Cards. However, there is basically no need for a bench as players barely seem to tire.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2020, 10:13:53 am »
The new fitness/sharpness gimmick on career mode is trash. Forces you to play the crap mini games until you have a good enough grade to sim them from then on. It also means your players develop slower choosing them all plans rather than designating specific players to a wider variety of training and upping their stats in the weekly sessions.

I like the idea that you can now train a player into a new position, but it takes way too long. I have a LW who already has ST as his secondary position and it’s going to take 58 weeks to turn him into a full ST? No thanks.

It’s always addictive and there’s always a lot to like but this year more than any before it feels  complete stagnation with gimmickry used to hide the fact they’ve really done fuck all. I don’t play Ultimate Team anymore so maybe there’s revolution there, but for me this isn’t worth the money currently. And I only paid £14 odd for it.

It feels as though they’re treading water waiting for next year when they’ll release a full and proper next gen version. It better run quicker and look great on Series X.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2020, 10:32:24 am »
Is there anywhere I can pick this up on Xbox for 40 quid or less?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2020, 06:41:16 pm »
Just done all my squad battles. 52k points and looking like I might even miss out on elite 1. That sort of score would of been enough last FIFA. Bit annoying.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2020, 04:31:11 pm »
Been messing around with some of the slider presets online and seem to have found ones I like. Slight toning down of the pace, game set to slow and a tad more error added to the passing so that neither side can just ping pong it all over the place.

I was using another set before where the pace was dialled right down to about 20, with greater acceleration and a lot more error in shooting and it was frankly an absolute mess where oddly it felt you could run through the opposition too easily and outpace them far too easily. Defending was also harder and I kept winning games by stupid scorelines like 8-3, 6-5, 9-4 etc.

So I reset everything then played around and whilst it's still slightly too arcadey now, it definitely feels weightier, goals more earned and player ability more defined. I'm playing as Crewe in League One, played Sunderland off the park at their place but lost 3-1 because I missed some good chances and made some rash decisions defensively that let them grab a few. Importantly it ebbed and flowed and felt more like a real football game.

The agile dribbling feature is still absolute bullshit mind. The game's growing on me and I'm enjoying it more but it's a silly feature when you're seeing Danny Graham or Paddy Madden do endless perfect drag backs and skill moves to avoid your defenders. Needs patching and only being a feature on actual quality dribblers in real life, Messi, Mane etc.

Thank god crossing is effective again without being seemingly too good.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2020, 04:42:14 pm »
Yeah crossing is better which I'm happy with. In general I like it but the agile dribbling needs nerfing for all but the most worldy of dribblers and even then I imagine it would still be too frequent. I don't know if it's just me but if I go a couple of goals up in a game the opposition absolutely give up trying to defend and it ends up like like a cricket score.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2020, 10:42:48 am »
I think the annoying thing about Fifa is that it does so much very well but time and again fails to deliver the complete package. They spend a year tinkering with stuff that doesn't need much attention and given they're essentially working off the same engine with the same framework (this has been the same game pretty much for 4 years now) there's not a real justification as to why they can't put far more time into virtually every mode.

Career mode needs a complete overhaul and the on-pitch AI needs massive work. It was mentioned further up, by why on even Ultimate difficulty does the AI refuse to cross? Spinning in the corner and doing tricks to try and open up the cut back opportunity. It's horribly predictable yet sometimes you can't stop it. They need to find a way to make midfields more structured and disciplined so that it's not centre half or full back to winger and striker with every ball and in general give it more of a 'true' feel.

I may be a boring bastard but I'd rather feel I earned a goal and had tight, close, natural feeling games with the odd higher score than each game be an arcade goal fest.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2020, 11:04:39 am »
Just popping my head in here out of curiosity really.  My football gaming history goes:
 - Italia '90
 - FIFA '96
 - Actua Soccer 2
 - Actua Soccer 3
 - This is Football
 - This is Football 2
 - ISS Pro Evolution 2
...Pro Evo ever since.

My feeling with Pro Evo was that it was absolutely brilliant back on 6th Gen consoles (PS2 for me), dreadful through 7th (PS3), and has gone a long way towards repairing it's reputation on the 8th (PS4).  The next gen games will be a big moment for the series I think - either they deliver, and the 'game' rewards everyone's loyalty, or they drop the ball again and it could be curtains.  Pro Evo can't really get away with being alright, due to the glaring absence of some major licenses.

What's FIFA's story?  Seems to me like the series' was at its peak on the 7th gen consoles.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2020, 01:39:19 pm »
Just popping my head in here out of curiosity really.  My football gaming history goes:
 - Italia '90
 - FIFA '96
 - Actua Soccer 2
 - Actua Soccer 3
 - This is Football
 - This is Football 2
 - ISS Pro Evolution 2
...Pro Evo ever since.

My feeling with Pro Evo was that it was absolutely brilliant back on 6th Gen consoles (PS2 for me), dreadful through 7th (PS3), and has gone a long way towards repairing it's reputation on the 8th (PS4).  The next gen games will be a big moment for the series I think - either they deliver, and the 'game' rewards everyone's loyalty, or they drop the ball again and it could be curtains.  Pro Evo can't really get away with being alright, due to the glaring absence of some major licenses.

What's FIFA's story?  Seems to me like the series' was at its peak on the 7th gen consoles.
This is Football brings back memories.. underrated game but ISS 2 was the game back in the PS2 era. PES has always been my favourite really, and though I've dipped in and out in recent years, there's still never been a Fifa, in my mind, that's as satisfying and as good as peak era PES, say Pro Evo 4/5 maybe being the high point?

For me though, Fifa now has it's place because I like playing with the licenced lower league clubs and building a manager career with different narratives applied. It's just about good enough to keep me coming back most years, for my sins (I skipped 18 and 19).

When I was younger, despite the licences, Fifa was trash. We're talking 2002 - 2007 being borderline unplayable in my book, with awful spin offs that were just money grabbing efforts and no real focus on what's happening on the pitch. It also started to look really dated and ugly. I'm not sure if 2008 heralded the move to Frostbite, but this, on the PS3 and 360 was where Fifa made me sit up and take notice.

I'd not bought a Fifa in about 5 years prior to 2008, but when that came it was better looking, weightier and more difficult than any before it (in my time). It felt more real, scoring was harder and felt an achievement when it happened. There had also been the spin off Champions League game around a similar time where they introduced the concept of player cards that eventually became Ultimate Team. This was actually a fun enough if shallow game. 2009 and 2010 brought more changes, as the game got that bit quicker and more attack focused and Ultimate Team started to be a niche mode within the game that was growing attention.

Really, for me, 2011-2014 was the peak era of Fifa where the games were decent to very good (2013 nailed it) and Ultimate Team was still fun, still accessible for those with not that much time (or money) and didn't form the entire basis of EA's thinking when it came to updates. 15 and 16 were poor in my book, treading water between generations and then I gave up with them until 20 came out.

And now... It's ok. It's too focused on Ultimate Team at the detriment of other modes and it absolutely has stagnated and needs a huge UI overhaul, a graphical update and just more love all round. You don't get the feeling that Fifa recently has ever been the labour of love that PES has at times felt, nor do they have the impetus to beat their rival because they haven't really been actual rivals in so long.

The best thing that could happen really would be EA losing the licences for a time and a new developer taking them on, or Konami be given more time and money to really showcase what they can do, because from the bits I've seen they could be on the way to something special and not releasing a new full fledged release this year shows a real pro-consumer, pro-quality of product approach.

Fifa is currently tired and about 5-6 years past it's peak. It needs revolution now.

Online gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2020, 01:57:37 pm »
Think Frostbite only coincided with this generation of consoles, 2014 onwards.

It’s massively stale, Career has only just had its first major changes this year, Pro Clubs should be its core online experience but is constantly ignored. All comes back to none of these modes generating income like Ultimate Team, which is a mode I like at its core (more so when it first came out and was like a virtual sticker book), but even that’s become a stale mode too.

Don’t even get me started on how unstable an online experience it is in the games too, not even just in game, how does a game have laggy menus?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:00:13 pm by gerrardisgod »
AHA!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2020, 02:09:43 pm »
Think Frostbite only coincided with this generation of consoles, 2014 onwards.

It’s massively stale, Career has only just had its first major changes this year, Pro Clubs should be its core online experience but is constantly ignored. All comes back to none of these modes generating income like Ultimate Team, which is a mode I like at its core (more so when it first came out and was like a virtual sticker book), but even that’s become a stale mode too.

Don’t even get me started on how unstable an online experience it is in the games too, not even just in game, how does a game have laggy menus?
I didn't realise that came so much later, I assumed that had something to do with the gigantic improvement showcased between 07-08 versions. Maybe they just had a motivated team with something to prove at that stage.

Now, as Gerrard says, it's stale. For all the good it does have going on, it's in need of a major overhaul and a lot of love. You can't tell me that in this day and age and with the newly incoming consoles, that they can't make Manager Mode a slick-faced FM rip off with the ability to play games over the top of this? There's no reason negotiations shouldn't have more nuance, or dynamic storylines can't be instituted on the fly (or any number of different scenarios you can apply to your career mode at the beginning, eg team after financial collapse etc.

Pro Clubs needs desperate attention and Ultimate Team needs curbing in some way. They won't ever do that because isn't the game mode more profitable than sales of the actual game itself or some mad stat like that?

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2020, 05:29:01 pm »
Is anyone else constantly struggling to find a game online?

Takes me anywhere between 5-10 attempts on ultimate team to get a division rivals game. Always pops up saying the connection to your opponent has been lost.

Is this my end or the servers?
YNWA - JFT97