Author Topic: Assassin's Creed Series  (Read 11588 times)

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
Assassin's Creed Series
« on: May 17, 2020, 05:23:31 pm »
Hi all

There's a lot of talk about AC: Odyssey on the 'What game are you currently playing thread' so I thought I'd start a thread for it.

Hope that's okay.

I've only been playing the game a week or so, but it's so, so big and there is so much to discuss about it. Hints, tips, places to see etc.

I saw a post from someone saying that they stumbled across a town at some point in the game and couldn't find it again and that got me thinking about creating this thread.

On that last note I've just discovered an amazing town called Lalaia. It's in Phokis, really North in the Valley of the Nymph. Really worth checking it out. Plus, there is a cool Sync point there.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:20:01 pm by JerseyKloppite »
"Salahs in here......"

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 07:59:17 pm »
Family man now so my gaming time is somewhat limited. Spent four nights playing this and thought I was making progress. Suddenly I got the message that I had finished the tutorial area. Quickly realized that it’s too big for me right now.
The tutorial was ace, though. I liked the battle mechanics and that you can climb almost everything

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 09:15:00 pm »
Have commented a couple of times in the other thread but as far as tips go:

- I left the main missions til last, it's more fun to explore and do everything else. I'd find a new region and (as long as I was sufficiently levelled up) try to do all of the side missions in those areas. Each region/island has a little story with a series of missions, and given the travel time I would try to do everything that there was to do there before moving on. I think this also means that you follow the stories better.

- Always hit the Sync points whenever you're nearby. You'll thank yourself when you don't have to trek for 20 minutes to get to a place again.

- Never spend money and time upgrading weapons, as you level up you'll pick up better weapons anyway. If you're really struggling against a particular boss then it might be worth it, but otherwise don't bother.

- Spend all your resources on your boat. It'll make naval battles easier. I never bothered going out of my way to find lieutenants either, you pick them up as you go.

- There are various endings to the game depending on the choices you make. Some of the choices are FAIRLY early on. If you don't want to replay the game and want the "best" ending, it might be worth going on IGN or similar to check if/when a decision is coming up that you might need to make a particular way.

- I never went out of my way to kill mercenaries until later in the game when I'd levelled up a fair bit and it was quite a fun thing to do. You'll probably come across enough of them as you roam about anyway.

There's other bits and bobs but they might be a bit spoiler-y so I'll leave them for now ;D

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 09:01:25 am »
Picked it up dirt cheap with the voucher on Ubisoft store over the weekend. Did a bit of a Witcher 3 number on me too - mooching about the starter area and then you realise how big the game world is when the credits only begin when you leave it.

Never really played this series before and quite impressed by it so far. Other than grouching about the store items, it's been quite fun once I got used to how the keys were mapped. Just need to work on getting Dishonoured out of my system and stop trying to clean out every camp without killing anyone. Clocking onto using the eagle to scout ahead has helped a fair amount too - baffled me initially how to figure out who could spot me.

"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 10:42:16 am »
Picked it up dirt cheap with the voucher on Ubisoft store over the weekend. Did a bit of a Witcher 3 number on me too - mooching about the starter area and then you realise how big the game world is when the credits only begin when you leave it.

Never really played this series before and quite impressed by it so far. Other than grouching about the store items, it's been quite fun once I got used to how the keys were mapped. Just need to work on getting Dishonoured out of my system and stop trying to clean out every camp without killing anyone. Clocking onto using the eagle to scout ahead has helped a fair amount too - baffled me initially how to figure out who could spot me.

Kill everyone! But don't get spotted.

When thinning the enemy, in the big forts and castles you can throw bodies outside of the castle from off the walls, then jump down and hide them, or throw them a bit further away.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 10:52:00 am »
Kill everyone! But don't get spotted.

When thinning the enemy, in the big forts and castles you can throw bodies outside of the castle from off the walls, then jump down and hide them, or throw them a bit further away.
I'm playing on Xbox and can't work out how to throw the bodiew! If I press X I drop them which isn't very accurate.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 10:55:42 am »
Have commented a couple of times in the other thread but as far as tips go:

- I left the main missions til last, it's more fun to explore and do everything else. I'd find a new region and (as long as I was sufficiently levelled up) try to do all of the side missions in those areas. Each region/island has a little story with a series of missions, and given the travel time I would try to do everything that there was to do there before moving on. I think this also means that you follow the stories better.

- Spend all your resources on your boat. It'll make naval battles easier. I never bothered going out of my way to find lieutenants either, you pick them up as you go.
That's what I am finding myself doing. Doing a fair few side missions to get those valuable XP before doing the missions at each location.

Couldn't agree more regarding upgrading the boat. Those battles on the water are a pain in the arse, more you upgrade the easier they will be.

Doea anyone bother with the engravings?
"Salahs in here......"

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 11:46:20 am »

That moment after the credits were shown and world opens up was kind of sobering for me. It's just such a huge world and I am not sure I'll be able to stay with the game. You have your mission and a place to go, but right from the start the ship captain gives you another place you should go to. I just hope the game somehow guides you through that world and doesn't just tell you to go where you want. And I fucking hate the loot system in this. I wish there was an option to have some auto pickup for stuff on bodies and from those small containers (the non chest ones).

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 12:51:18 pm »
The assassination skill lets you autoloot, but think that's it. It is a bit weird. Not sure if it's a troll of players of the series to have billions of pots with 2 gold coins in each or not? Cut out the trip to a vendor to sell your spoons and dishes at 1gp per time.

I'm only in the first area after starter one and ignored the sea captain because I'm not touching that ship any more than I have to til I have mermaids as crew or something. Far too much Ben Hur going on there otherwise. The quest he gives has levelled up with me so far which seems a nice balance with the stuff which is definitely not going to scale down. Has been pretty straightforward following questlines, with other little bits of the map being there to explore if you want to. Does start off pretty restricted in area (relatively) though cos there's so little of the map where higher level stuff won't just squash you with the penalties for fighting it underlevelled.

---

I shall have to learn not to create piles of unconscious guardsmen from whistling them into flower beds I suppose.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 01:02:48 pm »
I asked this question in the other thread, but had no responses (has everyone got me on their ignore list?  :( ;D) ) - how different is this to AC Origins?  I'm currently playing through Origins and absolutely loving it (even though, yes it's repetitive and a bit shallow) - just being in the gorgeous ancient Egyptian setting is brilliant escapism for me.  Is Odyssey similar?

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 01:31:10 pm »
I asked this question in the other thread, but had no responses (has everyone got me on their ignore list?  :( ;D) ) - how different is this to AC Origins?  I'm currently playing through Origins and absolutely loving it (even though, yes it's repetitive and a bit shallow) - just being in the gorgeous ancient Egyptian setting is brilliant escapism for me.  Is Odyssey similar?
Apologies I haven't played Origins. My friends had been badgering me to get Odyssey instead. Also, the lure of the Spartans was hard to resist!
"Salahs in here......"

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 01:39:55 pm »
The assassination skill lets you autoloot, but think that's it. It is a bit weird. Not sure if it's a troll of players of the series to have billions of pots with 2 gold coins in each or not? Cut out the trip to a vendor to sell your spoons and dishes at 1gp per time.

I'm only in the first area after starter one and ignored the sea captain because I'm not touching that ship any more than I have to til I have mermaids as crew or something. Far too much Ben Hur going on there otherwise. The quest he gives has levelled up with me so far which seems a nice balance with the stuff which is definitely not going to scale down. Has been pretty straightforward following questlines, with other little bits of the map being there to explore if you want to. Does start off pretty restricted in area (relatively) though cos there's so little of the map where higher level stuff won't just squash you with the penalties for fighting it underlevelled.

Yeah, it has been pretty straightforward so far in terms of where you're supposed to go and what you're supposed to do. I'm just afraid, that it opens up a lot more as the game goes on and that's what stopped me from finishing AC:Black Flag. I really liked that game, but then I just reached a point where you were basically just on your ship and had about a million places to go and were supposed to go from one end of the map to the other and back. I like my RPGs rather compact still with an open world, but one you get to know and not have a million places you visit once for a short while and then fuck off to the next one...

I've played Origins a bit and so far there's not that big a difference between the two in terms of gameplay. That said, didn't get too far in Origins. From what I've heard there is not much difference between the two except for the setting and that the ship plays a better part.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 09:56:34 pm »

Yes, it's relatively similar to Origins, but Odyssey has more to it though.  The map is far larger and also more diverse than Origins for a start.  It's also really beautiful in parts and personally I think that it looks better overall than Origins. That being said though, I do personally use a reshade as I think that the contrast and saturation are too much by far.  The world itself though is incredible. Given that you mentioned that you like exploring..well, you'll really enjoy that aspect.  In terms of the Whole 'historical tourism' angle it's pretty much unmatched and a step up in scope from Origins in that regard (in my opinion).

The combat is also definitely better in Odyssey, with more variety of moves and a skill tree that has some pretty good skills/combat moves to unlock.  You also have naval combat in Odyssey with your own ship, so there's that too if you like that sort of thing.  The naval combat is basically Black Flag with spears.

Customisation is also better overall in Odyssey, with you being able to mix and match bits of different armour (of which there is a much larger variety than Origins) and there are more weapons too. 

Quest wise, there are far more in Odyssey, but for the most part they're "go here, kill this guy" with no individuality whatsoever.  Even moreso than Origins. 

The game is also grindy as all hell, to the point where there was a controversy over it on launch.  Even though I enjoyed the game I ended up using a trainer towards the end.  Not because it was difficult, but simply because I was sick of the constant resource/money-gain grind by that point. 

Story-wise Origins is better.  If you're looking for good writing, then Odyssey is not the game for you.  The writing is utterly nonsensical shite on a regular basis.  As storytelling in general, it's shite.  Few Assassin's Creed games have had good writing, but this is far below even other titles in the series.  The protagonist (I chose Alexios, so can't comment on Cassandra) also has all of the charm of syphilis.  I quite liked Bayek as a character.  I'd occasionally let Alexios get killed just to watch him die. 

Both are decent games with their pluses and minuses.  If you like one you'll like the other and if (going by your post) the major drawcard for you is existing within a game world set in an ancient time, then you'll probably love Odyssey, regardless of whether you've just played Origins.  Non-spoiler world video:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/C8q6j6GeElY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/C8q6j6GeElY</a>

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:06:37 pm by Darren G »

Online GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 09:42:52 am »

Story-wise Origins is better.  If you're looking for good writing, then Odyssey is not the game for you.  The writing is utterly nonsensical shite on a regular basis.  As storytelling in general, it's shite.  Few Assassin's Creed games have had good writing, but this is far below even other titles in the series.  The protagonist (I chose Alexios, so can't comment on Cassandra) also has all of the charm of syphilis.  I quite liked Bayek as a character.  I'd occasionally let Alexios get killed just to watch him die. 

I read this in the style of Johnny Cash.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 10:15:34 am »
Thanks for all the responses, guys.  I'll probably pick up Odyssey once I've finished with Origins.  One thing about Origins that's weird is the laughably bad voice acting.  It's....just so bland and lacking in emotion, it's almost like it's been done on purpose.  It's how actors act when they're trying to act badly  ;D

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 03:15:26 am »
I read this in the style of Johnny Cash.

;D Nice one. 

Thanks for all the responses, guys.  I'll probably pick up Odyssey once I've finished with Origins.  One thing about Origins that's weird is the laughably bad voice acting.  It's....just so bland and lacking in emotion, it's almost like it's been done on purpose.  It's how actors act when they're trying to act badly  ;D

I agree that there's a lot of bad voice acting, but I think that the writing itself is also a major factor in it sounding so bad. What's actually coming out of the characters mouths seems so unnatural at times that Anthony Hopkins couldn't make it sound convincing.  I feel that bad voice acting and writing is a running theme with a lot of Ubisoft stuff though.  I finally started Red Dead Redemption 2 a couple of days back and the difference in quality in those areas to Odyssey is stark to say the least.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 01:01:34 pm »
Kassandra's had a couple of nicely written moments but there definitely is a lot of 'My face is tired' level dialogue. Do have a lot of other previous titles in the series but never really played them, freebies heh, but would be fair to guess that the series is heading into RPG-lite from a stealth game and the stretch of that shows more as they keep pushing along the RPG lines? Can also see it in quest design at times where they don't seem to properly account for people not being railroaded on the order things are done in. I suppose I get paid for it this time heh.

Any reshades worth considering? I've been using the Realistic one, although seems a good 10fps hit from it, which has been decent enough visually.

Also: was being a superhero and taking on overlevel mercenaries with ease using a sword and light attacks, but switched out to a spear and got my butt kicked by a random bandit gang. Quite like how weapon animations do alter the rhythm you need to use.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 01:35:24 pm »
Kassandra's had a couple of nicely written moments but there definitely is a lot of 'My face is tired' level dialogue. Do have a lot of other previous titles in the series but never really played them, freebies heh, but would be fair to guess that the series is heading into RPG-lite from a stealth game and the stretch of that shows more as they keep pushing along the RPG lines? Can also see it in quest design at times where they don't seem to properly account for people not being railroaded on the order things are done in. I suppose I get paid for it this time heh.

Any reshades worth considering? I've been using the Realistic one, although seems a good 10fps hit from it, which has been decent enough visually.

Also: was being a superhero and taking on overlevel mercenaries with ease using a sword and light attacks, but switched out to a spear and got my butt kicked by a random bandit gang. Quite like how weapon animations do alter the rhythm you need to use.

Nah mate, 'tired faces' level of dialogue has always been a hallmark of the Assassin's Creed series.  It's nothing new or in relation to the series 'going more RPG'.  Quest design has likewise always been similarly shite for the most part.  I don't think that Assassin's Creed has been a stealth game for a long, long time now either.  Stealth had been no more than 'an option' for almost all missions/quests ever since III. 

In terms of weapon types, I rarely use the spear as it's the least effective of the three by a long-shot in my opinion other than against some animals.

Not a big fan or realistic reshade myself.  It does a good job of taking the yellow tinge out, but actually adds more saturation and contrast, which is exactly the opposite of what this game needs in my opinion.  I personally use a reshade from the witcher 3 which I've editied slightly to my taste.  I think that it's a 1-2 FPS hit, no more.

If Syndicate is one of those games that you own but haven't touched, that's worth giving a go.  One of the more entertaining in the series and Ubi absolutely nailed Victorian London.   

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2020, 02:19:47 pm »
Sadly Syndicate doesn't seem to be there. III (remastered), IV, and Unity are what's in the library. Will pick it up on sale at some point then.

Shows how familiar I am with series to think it was a stealth game, why I never touched them before now really. Was only setting which pulled me into Dishonoured. Has been a bit of a surprise just how much it encourages killing everything in the way over that.

I just wanted to try something different with the spear as have a nice freebie cos I'm a cheapskate on upgrading weapons to match level. Had a lot of fun running round the starting area with a giant two handed mace braining groups of people with every swing.

Will have a play with reshade. Never can get it quite right though, and realistic was the one which didn't seem to go too heavily into 'let's try to light this like Lord of the Rings'. I'm not the purist on such things outside of Total War games, where they consistently mess up the lighting. It is a very pretty game, and it knows it.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 01:56:03 am »
I already thought this game was huge and I've not been playing it long, however I've just got to the 'cult' part. Christ the quests are endless!
"Salahs in here......"

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 06:58:17 am »
I already thought this game was huge and I've not been playing it long, however I've just got to the 'cult' part. Christ the quests are endless!

I accidentally stumbled upon a quest where I had to kill a legendary boar, killed it, returned to claim my reward only to be given another ten or so quests hunting down other legendary animals.  I'm not sure Ill ever finish 100%.

Apparently Valhalla's map is even larger than Odyssey's, although that may not translate to quests.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 08:22:14 am »
Sadly Syndicate doesn't seem to be there. III (remastered), IV, and Unity are what's in the library. Will pick it up on sale at some point then.

Shows how familiar I am with series to think it was a stealth game, why I never touched them before now really. Was only setting which pulled me into Dishonoured. Has been a bit of a surprise just how much it encourages killing everything in the way over that.

I just wanted to try something different with the spear as have a nice freebie cos I'm a cheapskate on upgrading weapons to match level. Had a lot of fun running round the starting area with a giant two handed mace braining groups of people with every swing.

Will have a play with reshade. Never can get it quite right though, and realistic was the one which didn't seem to go too heavily into 'let's try to light this like Lord of the Rings'. I'm not the purist on such things outside of Total War games, where they consistently mess up the lighting. It is a very pretty game, and it knows it.

I loved Unity, felt like it was a beautiful and busy recreation of Paris. Never got tired of exploring it.

For some reason Syndicate never clicked for me and I found the setting dull.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 10:15:23 am »
I accidentally stumbled upon a quest where I had to kill a legendary boar, killed it, returned to claim my reward only to be given another ten or so quests hunting down other legendary animals.  I'm not sure Ill ever finish 100%.

Apparently Valhalla's map is even larger than Odyssey's, although that may not translate to quests.
I've done that quest aswell. Killing that boar was infuriating! I wouldn't have been able to do it without the health regeneration ability.
"Salahs in here......"

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 10:42:26 am »
I loved Unity, felt like it was a beautiful and busy recreation of Paris. Never got tired of exploring it.

For some reason Syndicate never clicked for me and I found the setting dull.
That's very interesting - I thought Unity was one of the prettiest games on the current gen when it was released but I was thoroughly bored of it after 3 hours.  Syndicate, IMO, actually entertained me for a good 12 hours or so.  (I did get bored eventually).

Black Flag had to be my favourite AC since AC 2.  It suffered from being out so early on this gen - I got my Xbox One and bought every game I could and so didn't quite finish it (did get pretty far though).

I've only played half an hour of Origins and not played Odyssey yet though so I might try and grind them out when I finish Uncharted 4 and TLOU 1.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2020, 11:22:12 am »
I'm playing on Xbox and can't work out how to throw the bodiew! If I press X I drop them which isn't very accurate.

I think its one of the triggers - like shooting an arrow. I haven't played in a while, but I think it is that.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2020, 11:33:21 am »
I think its one of the triggers - like shooting an arrow. I haven't played in a while, but I think it is that.
Yeah I just got it. It's L trigger then R trigger. Cheers
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 12:02:01 pm »
That's very interesting - I thought Unity was one of the prettiest games on the current gen when it was released but I was thoroughly bored of it after 3 hours.  Syndicate, IMO, actually entertained me for a good 12 hours or so.  (I did get bored eventually).

Black Flag had to be my favourite AC since AC 2.  It suffered from being out so early on this gen - I got my Xbox One and bought every game I could and so didn't quite finish it (did get pretty far though).

I've only played half an hour of Origins and not played Odyssey yet though so I might try and grind them out when I finish Uncharted 4 and TLOU 1.

Yeah, similar for me.  Unity's recreation of Paris was beautiful and accurate to the point where Ubisoft were contacted about their drawings/plans of Notre-Dame to help the rebuild, but... I found the story and protagonist somewhat lifeless and got tired of it long before I finished it.  Syndicate I also enjoyed for a lot longer as well as the Jack the Ripper DLC, which was easily the darkest thing that I've seen in the series. 

As for Black Flag, yeah, I agree that it didn't look as good graphically with the older game engine. The writing and characters though were a notch above anything that the series has managed since in my opinion.  There were some genuinely poignant moments in that game, especially the ending with Anne Bonnie's 'parting glass', so it's a shame that you didn't get to that.  It's hard to define in communicative terms, but there was a magic about that game that the series hasn't achieved since. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:04:39 pm by Darren G »

• Kopite
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2020, 12:29:25 pm »
Yeah, similar for me.  Unity's recreation of Paris was beautiful and accurate to the point where Ubisoft were contacted about their drawings/plans of Notre-Dame to help the rebuild, but... I found the story and protagonist somewhat lifeless and got tired of it long before I finished it.  Syndicate I also enjoyed for a lot longer as well as the Jack the Ripper DLC, which was easily the darkest thing that I've seen in the series. 

As for Black Flag, yeah, I agree that it didn't look as good graphically with the older game engine. The writing and characters though were a notch above anything that the series has managed since in my opinion.  There were some genuinely poignant moments in that game, especially the ending with Anne Bonnie's 'parting glass', so it's a shame that you didn't get to that.  It's hard to define in communicative terms, but there was a magic about that game that the series hasn't achieved since.
Agree entirely mate.

I didn't get to the Parting Glass moment in the game, but that's actually one of my favourite songs and that bit came up on a random Youtube playthrough for me one night I was on the beer and listening to tunes  ;D

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2020, 12:49:37 pm »
I hated every AssCreed (except Black Flag) until Odyssey.

It really is different (I didn't play Origins): it's an RPG, but open world, it's brilliant having mercenaries come after you, hunting down cultists.

Fuck, it makes me want to tour Greece!

Just got the Ezio outfit from the store for free.  :) Also, Kassandra is the canonical choice.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2020, 01:47:29 pm »
I hated every AssCreed (except Black Flag) until Odyssey.

It really is different (I didn't play Origins): it's an RPG, but open world, it's brilliant having mercenaries come after you, hunting down cultists.

Fuck, it makes me want to tour Greece!

Just got the Ezio outfit from the store for free.  :) Also, Kassandra is the canonical choice.

I still feel that it (Odyssey) suffers from the same lifelessness and other issues that the majority of other titles in the series do though.  The world itself is beautiful and vast but there's just so much wrong with how the rest of the game is put together, which is why it'll never be regarded as highly as something like The Witcher 3 by the vast majority of gamers.  As an RPG, the flaws are gaping.  As a small example, I currently have one of the major characters from the story - who DIED with some fanfare - as one of the lieutenants on my ship.

I'm not trying to shit on Odyssey as I have quite enjoyed my time with the game, with the majority of the reason for that being the exploration of the stunning map. But...it could have been so, so much better though.  I often get the feeling with Ubisoft that the vast majority of time and care goes into building the map, with the writing and characters almost being an afterthought.  The characters in particular in Odyssey are horribly written and feel incredibly unnatural, in both their behaviours, motivations and speech.  There is bugger all emotional depth or complexity to anyone in the game and the contrast between Odyssey and The Witcher or Red Dead Redemption is stark in that regard. 

As for hunting down cultists, I liked it at first, but found it progressively more tedious.  I won't spoiler it for you, but let me know how you feel about the payoff for all of that that when you've finally taken down the cult and exposed it's leader.  It's so disappointing in so many ways.   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:50:19 pm by Darren G »

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 02:01:45 pm »
I've done that quest aswell. Killing that boar was infuriating! I wouldn't have been able to do it without the health regeneration ability.
It wasn't the big boar that arsed me off, it was his little bastard friends that kept taking my legs away.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2020, 09:59:04 am »
Apologies for asking Origins questions in the Odyssey thread, but is there a way of seeing your progress (%) in the game? I’ve spent quite a few hours on it so far and have done plenty of the side/main quests, but if it turns out I’m only like 3% in, I might not have the patience to see it through to completion!

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2020, 12:17:09 pm »
Apologies for asking Origins questions in the Odyssey thread, but is there a way of seeing your progress (%) in the game? I’ve spent quite a few hours on it so far and have done plenty of the side/main quests, but if it turns out I’m only like 3% in, I might not have the patience to see it through to completion!

Can't remember, but if you post the name of your current story quest I'll be able to tell you roughly how far you are along. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:19:22 pm by Darren G »

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2020, 04:04:26 pm »
Can't remember, but if you post the name of your current story quest I'll be able to tell you roughly how far you are along.
Cheers - my next main quest is “Way of the Gabiniani” (didn’t he used to play for Southampton?) where I have to go and speak with Cleopatra in Herakleion. I’m level 38 if that helps.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
Re: Assassin's Creed Series
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2020, 06:37:10 pm »
Cheers - my next main quest is “Way of the Gabiniani” (didn’t he used to play for Southampton?) where I have to go and speak with Cleopatra in Herakleion. I’m level 38 if that helps.

Sounds like your about 2/3rds of the way through the main story.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2020, 07:05:56 pm »
Sounds like your about 2/3rds of the way through the main story.
Thanks

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2020, 06:08:14 am »
Still a fair way to go.  Not too far past half way (10 done, 8 remaining).  Then of course you're probably going to have to do some side quests to level up for those last couple of story quests.   See you in six months.  :wave   ;D

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2020, 09:45:22 am »
Started Origins yesterday.

Well, I had played just under half an hour of it when I bought it a couple of months ago but I had just began the journey towards Siwa.

Played it until I had done every single sidequest etc. in Siwa and got to the next town after Siwa (Alexandria is it?), did a couple of side quests when I got there.

I really, really like it so far.  Feels like the best AC I've played since Black Flag, which was the best I'd played since AC 2.

I personally love the way the side quests are much more RPG-like.  Tiny minor spoiler:

Spoiler
The first sidequest I did when I got to Alexandria was saving a drunk man from crocodiles to take him back to his wife, to then discover that his "wife" got him drunk and married him for a virginity tax - that little story could have easily been a sidequest in The Witcher
[close]

The consensus is that Odyssey is even better so I am very excited to try it.

Will leave Valhalla until I've got the next gen console so should be able to finish both of these by then.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2020, 03:34:49 pm »
I'm one of these guys that sets sail on his ship to find the next quest, but every single island island or underwater location I sail by I have to go explore.

I stumbled upon a quite large island yesterday and I really didn't want to get side tracked so I looked at the map and saw the island had a sync point on it. I had to go do it didn't I!? Then may aswell go clean that Fort out, oh and look, there's a member of the cult 800m away, may aswell go check that out.

Its going to take me a while to get through this!
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2020, 05:28:52 pm »
Started Origins yesterday.

Well, I had played just under half an hour of it when I bought it a couple of months ago but I had just began the journey towards Siwa.

Played it until I had done every single sidequest etc. in Siwa and got to the next town after Siwa (Alexandria is it?), did a couple of side quests when I got there.

I really, really like it so far.  Feels like the best AC I've played since Black Flag, which was the best I'd played since AC 2.

I personally love the way the side quests are much more RPG-like.  Tiny minor spoiler:

Spoiler
The first sidequest I did when I got to Alexandria was saving a drunk man from crocodiles to take him back to his wife, to then discover that his "wife" got him drunk and married him for a virginity tax - that little story could have easily been a sidequest in The Witcher
[close]

The consensus is that Odyssey is even better so I am very excited to try it.

Will leave Valhalla until I've got the next gen console so should be able to finish both of these by then.

I think that the writing in Origins is generally much better than that in Odyssey.  The key guy in both Black Flag and Origins is Ashraf Ismail.  Both of those titles are out of Ubisoft Montreal (along with the upcoming Valhalla).  Odyssey is from a different studio in Ubisoft Quebec.  Personally I feel that Odyssey misses Ashraf's touch, so I'll be interested to see what you think given your comments about Origins and Black Flag.  Odyssey is certainly bigger and with more to do, but there's a lack of cohesiveness with the writing, characters and even the world itself in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:34:55 pm by Darren G »