Author Topic: Ghost of Tsushima  (Read 18079 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: Ghost of Tsushima
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2020, 10:33:16 pm »
Going to start this tomorrow, looking forward to it :) Any tips?

Enjoy it, explore the world, and take stances seriously  ;)

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2020, 01:46:42 am »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ipisgkNA8hY

Agree with nearly all of this. I enjoyed it overall but I focused on the main story and some of the ally missions, ignored the rest, and even then it got repetitive fast. If I never have to do another 'examine three things and then follow the footsteps' type mission it'll be too soon.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2020, 07:26:26 pm »
Almost finished Act 2

Spoiler
Just drove the Mongols out of Yarikawa and earned the Ghost stance.
[close]

Literal goosebumps standing on me.  Awesome moment.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2020, 08:17:26 pm »
A new online co-op mode has been announced! Coming out the end of the year.

Ghost of Tsushima: Legends.

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2020, 08:18:49 pm »
What a game! Easily my game of the year!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2020, 10:02:56 pm »
Almost finished Act 2

Spoiler
Just drove the Mongols out of Yarikawa and earned the Ghost stance.
[close]

Literal goosebumps standing on me.  Awesome moment.

Just done this now. Unreal.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2020, 06:22:26 am »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2020, 06:14:19 pm »
I finished it recently. It's a fantastic, but flawed game, though the flaws are more due to what isn't there more so than what is. What I mean by that is that we've all been spoiled by Rockstar and their technical achievements for an open world. Both in terms of physics and for details, especially in the NPCs, giving the world a more dynamic and lived in experience.
I'll give you an example: in this, you come across bears in the wild. The encounters are just sporadic and always scripted, meaning that usually when you encounter them, there's two mongols fighting with it, usually being tossed around to draw your attention. In RDR2, you come across a bear randomly, and it feels like a life and death situation, especially if it's a grizzly. You've literally a split second to dead eye it in the head before it gets you and rips you to shreds. If you've got bounty hunters on you, I've been in situations where I've been chased by them, only to come across a bear, and then the bear gives chase to them and a hilarious panic ensues as they try to either run or take it out. There's interactions between NPC's that actually remember you too, so if you dusted one of them down previously, they'll either avoid you next time or just draw pistols.
All of that kind of stuff is almost completely absent from GoT, and it's not a slight against it, it's just that you wish it was there. Like RDR2, ghost is going for a locked down historical theme, so it has to be somewhat realistic, and that's what hinders it at times, because sometimes you just want it to break the monotony of constantly either just killing mongols, ronin or bandits. Breath of the Wild is probably the most similar game to draw comparisons to, but then again, that game has a litany of physics based systems in place that vary the combat and the gameplay. Having to craft or cook recipes to survive certain parts of the world early on, or trying to stay cool by keeping in the shade. There's none of that to fall back in here. It's strength is in it's setting and it's combat and progression system, which are both benchmark setters.

All in all, I'd probably put it in the same bracket as something like Horizon Zero Dawn. A great first foray into a new ip for Sucker Punch, similar to what Guerrilla Games did with Horizon. I found HZD to be flawed in it's progression system, but still had fun combat and an interesting world. That game just got stale beyond a certain point for me due to the progression imbalance or stagnation. Ghost doesn't suffer from that, and the story has enough dramatic beats to it to keep it compelling. I'd give it a reluctant 9 overall, but realistically, due to the repetitive nature of some of its mission design overall, it's probably an 8/8.5. It's a fantastic game, and it's worth the accolades it's been getting.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2020, 12:42:14 am »
I'm only a few hours in, but I find myself just stopping and looking around at times. I genuinely can't get over how beautiful the game is.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 2, 2020, 09:07:51 pm »
Finished it before and thought it was great. It will be interesting to see what they do with a sequel. Jin sort of reminded me of a ninja Batman in the end.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #130 on: September 3, 2020, 09:12:36 am »
Made it my first ever Platinum last night.  What a game.  Feel lost now!

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2020, 12:01:58 am »
Enjoy it, explore the world, and take stances seriously  ;)

Stances is an excellent shout ;D

Eurgh, I wish I loved this game and I really don't know why I don't. It plays similarly to games I've played and loved recently, Assasins Creed in particular. Most games I play on my PS4 are third person action/adventure games - God Of War, Shadow of War/Mordor, Spiderman, Watchdogs, GTA, RDR etc. This has all the right ingredients. A decent combat system, a good story, a beautiful setting, decent characters. The fast travel is easy so you're not spending hours travelling the map, and if you do it's usually a pleasure...

But I just don't love it. I'm finding that I'm having to basically force myself to sit down down for an hour or so at the end of the day to crack on. The appearance of new missions and objectives at the start of Act 2 made me sigh at how much there is to get through. It feels exceptionally repetitive - go to place, kill some Mongols, go to place, kill some Mongols. The combat is more interesting than some games but at times feels needlessly complicated. I tried about 10 times to play a mission where I had to defend a hostage from being killed in a tight corner and found myself almost throwing my controller at the TV in frustration as I was simply unable to clear the waves of attackers and he got killed every time.

I'm torn, I paid £50 or whatever for it and I hate wasting money, so I'm determined to complete it, or keep pushing myself in the hope that something will click and I'll start to really enjoy it. But that hasn't happened yet and I'm increasingly feeling that it won't ;D I just wish I knew why! Going to give myself 10 days to really try to push on, focus on the missions rather the diversions.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 12:14:12 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2020, 08:45:57 pm »
I made a post in here a while back saying I found it difficult to enjoy the game after finishing TLOU2, it just felt so drab in comparison. I jumped back on to Ghost about a month later and I suddenly started to enjoy it, just needed a bit of a break after TLOU2. Finished it last night and I'm grateful I gave it a second chance, great game.

I just have to say that the lighting/scenery was truly beautiful, like maybe the best I've seen in a game, ever. Some of the one on one battles with a gorgeous backdrop was a joy to take part in. And the combat was very satisfying and very diverse.

Only downside was that I only ever felt like playing the main and ally side missions, everything else seemed like a chore.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #133 on: October 2, 2020, 01:01:59 pm »
Stances is an excellent shout ;D

Eurgh, I wish I loved this game and I really don't know why I don't...

So I persisted. And while I never really fell in love with the game, I did certainly start to enjoy it a lot more. I think as you start to master the combat system to the extent you can take on large groups of challenging enemies it starts to click a bit, the duelling can be great fun and some of the missions where you're attacking as part of an army or similar are really good fun.

Finished the story, liberated the island and completed the Mythic Tales missions. As far as completion goes, that's it for me, certainly not going to be going round sweeping up the other side missions or collectables. But a good game, beautiful to look at, and I'm glad I stuck with it. An emotional ending too. Certainly an 8/10.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: October 5, 2020, 09:21:09 pm »
The multiplayer comes out on 16th October.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2020, 09:12:17 pm »
Absolutely loving this so far. Can’t believe games are now capable of this.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2020, 09:06:18 pm »
Loving this, a great all round game that looks great AND delivers gameplay, normally it's one or the other
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2020, 10:11:58 am »
Loving the multiplayer mode on this.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 6, 2020, 02:57:21 pm »
Had one of the weirdest nights on this last night. Me, a German lad, a Dutch lad and some other lad called Fabio who never had a mic took 7 hours to complete chapter 2 in the Raids. 5pm to 1am! Fucking never again.

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 6, 2020, 02:59:03 pm »
Really want this but it's still so expensive!

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 6, 2020, 03:57:28 pm »
This has just got a 60fps patch on PS5 so think I'll pick it up now.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: November 7, 2020, 01:53:48 am »
This has just got a 60fps patch on PS5 so think I'll pick it up now.

A proper PS5 version is coming so you may want to wait for that.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 7, 2020, 07:46:53 am »
A proper PS5 version is coming so you may want to wait for that.

Not heard anything from Insomniac or Playstation on that front.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 7, 2020, 01:40:48 pm »
Done the final chapter in the raid last night. Chapter 2 is by far the hardest and most time consuming.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2021, 10:05:19 pm »
Film has just been announced based on this.