Author Topic: The England Cricket Thread - 2024  (Read 640467 times)

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
No

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Nope, no relation to each other

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I think it’s quite a common surname on the Windies ( are they both from Barbados I think?).

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I think it’s quite a common surname on the Windies ( are they both from Barbados I think?).

I can't remember the name, but there used to be around half a dozen cousins with the same surname playing for various islands in the Windies, all mediocre all-rounder types who never got above inter-island cricket.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
they look thrilled.

Online spen71

• Legacy Fan
Looks like the fella can bat a bit.

Brathwaite, meanwhile, is on 99 overnight. Sweet dreams.

I like Brathwaite. Old school Test opener.

Does he just bat?

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
Does he just bat?
No Cornwall bowls as well, with very little to no run up... ;)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........

A bit like the Greenidge brothers who used to open for Windies. Gordon, we all know. But there was Geoffrey Greenidge too who played a couple of Tests. He didn't look much like Gordon. In fact...he was white. A bit of a 70s beach-bum type look if I remember. I guess that was a common name in the islands too.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
I can't remember the name, but there used to be around half a dozen cousins with the same surname playing for various islands in the Windies, all mediocre all-rounder types who never got above inter-island cricket.

Found the name, if not the precise number. The Shillingfords.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
A bit like the Greenidge brothers who used to open for Windies. Gordon, we all know. But there was Geoffrey Greenidge too who played a couple of Tests. He didn't look much like Gordon. In fact...he was white. A bit of a 70s beach-bum type look if I remember. I guess that was a common name in the islands too.

A bit like when an English lady asked Viv Richards if he was related to Barry.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
A bit like when an English lady asked Viv Richards if he was related to Barry.

Ha ha. I love that. She as colour blind to the point of splendour.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Just discovered, in fact, that Geoff Greenidge was the last white man to play Test cricket for the Windies until Joshua da Silva (who is playing as I type).

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Just discovered, in fact, that Geoff Greenidge was the last white man to play Test cricket for the Windies until Joshua da Silva (who is playing as I type).

They had a white wicket keeper/batsman when they win that series against us in about 2009, completely forgotten his name though.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
They had a white wicket keeper/batsman when they win that series against us in about 2009, completely forgotten his name though.

Nash. Apparently 'mixed race' (aren't we all, really, when it comes down to it?)

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Nash. Apparently 'mixed race' (aren't we all, really, when it comes down to it?)

That’s the fella. Hazy memory, quite a strange tour that one.

Online spen71

• Legacy Fan
Ambrose and Walsh are good commentators

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Ambrose and Walsh are good commentators

Had a flashback then. What a duo!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Michael Atherton's son scored a century against Yorkshire today playing for his uni

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Michael Atherton's son scored a century against Yorkshire today playing for his uni

I saw that. It was Bradford and Leeds Uni so I suppose, in a sense, he was flying under Yorkshire colours.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I saw that. It was Bradford and Leeds Uni so I suppose, in a sense, he was flying under Yorkshire colours.

Did they not used to be separate?

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Did they not used to be separate?

They are. But cricket-wise they must combine like Ox-Cam used to do?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
They are. But cricket-wise they must combine like Ox-Cam used to do?

Fair dos. Do you remember the old B&H Cup used to have group stages and a few of the universities had teams in there, and then there was a Combines Universities odds and sods team.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Fair dos. Do you remember the old B&H Cup used to have group stages and a few of the universities had teams in there, and then there was a Combines Universities odds and sods team.

Yeah. Except it would be odds and sods and....Imran Khan!

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Interesting how he's using a different surname.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Brathwaite out fifteen short of his second century of the match.

Bowled by Chameera.

Or maybe I dreamt that.

(One for Nick)

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
When is the best time to declare? This is day 4 of 5, isnt it?

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
Saffers V Pakistan 1 day on

Oddly there's a DJ giving it loads and no crowd
A win for the Liverpool country

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Saffers V Pakistan 1 day on

Oddly there's a DJ giving it loads and no crowd

That sort of sums up DJs doesn't it?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Tendulkar in hospital due to covid...

That’s quite scary
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Hey Alexa, what does playing cricket in England in April look like?

https://twitter.com/mattmaynard25/status/1380856754246942720?s=19

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
they use a red ball, they'll be fine.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
Headingly too - Just get on with it, sight screens won’t be an issue
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Stokes out for 3 months with a broken finger

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Stokes out for 3 months with a broken finger

Wuss.

What will he miss?

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
Wuss.

What will he miss?

The bloody Test matches v New Zealand.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
I have a suggestion to solve England's opening batting position which will make you all groan. Bring back Adam Lyth.

His Test match career to date is, of course, blighted by a very poor Ashes series. But he was discarded too quickly after that and never given a second chance. Other, lesser players, were. Most people forget that he did rather well earlier in that Ashes summer against a strong New Zealand side, scoring a thrilling century in one of the two Tests. He is also, by some measure, the best Yorkshire opener since Boycott, constantly getting big scores in all formats, and getting them quickly. His two innings this summer have so far yielded over 200 runs. He is, quite frankly, superior to anything we've currently got at the top of the innings.

Besides I want to hear Nick say once again...."What a time to be A. Lyth."

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's a pity that Haseeb Hameed hasn't been able to play himself back into form domestically. Just so unlucky with that injury that sent him home after an impressive start to his Test career.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I have a suggestion to solve England's opening batting position which will make you all groan. Bring back Adam Lyth.

His Test match career to date is, of course, blighted by a very poor Ashes series. But he was discarded too quickly after that and never given a second chance. Other, lesser players, were. Most people forget that he did rather well earlier in that Ashes summer against a strong New Zealand side, scoring a thrilling century in one of the two Tests. He is also, by some measure, the best Yorkshire opener since Boycott, constantly getting big scores in all formats, and getting them quickly. His two innings this summer have so far yielded over 200 runs. He is, quite frankly, superior to anything we've currently got at the top of the innings.

Besides I want to hear Nick say once again...."What a time to be A. Lyth."

:D Did I really say that? That’s actually quite good!

Not averse to giving Lyth another try. Can’t remember who (if anyone is in credit from the summer. Who’s likely to open, Burns and Crawley?