Poll

Tory Christmas Party

Nothing like a good old knees up!
They should apologise and come clean
Johnson should resign
The front bench should resign
The entire party should resign
The entire party should be put in an Elon Musk rocket and fired off to jupiter with 2 packets of hula hoops and a pot noodle
I LOVE cheese!

Author Topic: Doesn't matter who you vote for as long as it's for the right reasons!  (Read 1163941 times)

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
Re: Led by Donkeys. Really nasty ones. Politics Thread III
« Reply #15560 on: February 26, 2021, 11:25:12 am »
All Headteachers are driven by grades these days
But coursework (when it was part of the system) was heavily monitored and moderated. Samples of work were taken up from random students to ensure teachers were not doing as you suggest.
It was only when Gove got in, and he applied his own lack of morality, that his accusations of teachers somehow cheating at course work allowed him scrap it all in favour of exam only assessment. Remember this is the guy who scrapped the Baccalaureate after years of preparation by teachers because he couldn’t just award the contract to his “favoured” exam board/publisher.
Yes teachers want the best for their kids, but the big Tory Lie is that teachers are cheats.

My brother in law came out with a very insightful comment over this.
He said the problem with education is that unlike the Scots and the Welsh who manages education for their children, our Westminster wonders manage education for other people’s kids. The Tories (and some Labour) don’t send their kids to state schools so they aren’t really arsed. Gove, Gibb, Williamson, their kids will be alright.

This is at the heart of the Education debate and has been for generations. It also applies to the NHS, because health too is a two-tier system. So long as (relatively) wealthy folk can duck out of the state system, and pay to ensure their offspring are educated away from the masses, we will always risk the state sector playing second fiddle.

Gove is the perfect example of a syndrome we see in public life; ask yourself the question: what sort of person naturally assumes that where there exists the room to manipulate and cheat, the profession involved will use it?
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #15561 on: February 26, 2021, 02:21:23 pm »
This is at the heart of the Education debate and has been for generations. It also applies to the NHS, because health too is a two-tier system. So long as (relatively) wealthy folk can duck out of the state system, and pay to ensure their offspring are educated away from the masses, we will always risk the state sector playing second fiddle.

Gove is the perfect example of a syndrome we see in public life; ask yourself the question: what sort of person naturally assumes that where there exists the room to manipulate and cheat, the profession involved will use it?
It’s not manipulation or cheating.

It’s human nature, teachers have personal relationships with punks, often for many years and having close ties to their families.

They cannot be an  impartial observer and make impartial decisions. Of course they want the best for kids.

And who does worst out of no exams? Disadvantaged kids.  Generally teacher assessments will grade them more harshly than advantaged kids.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #15562 on: February 26, 2021, 02:27:47 pm »

It’s human nature, teachers have personal relationships with punks, often for many years and having close ties to their families.

They cannot be an  impartial observer and make impartial decisions. Of course they want the best for kids.

And who does worst out of no exams? Disadvantaged kids.  Generally teacher assessments will grade them more harshly than advantaged kids.

How does that work?  Not disputing what you've said there I'm just interested to understand the reasoning
Believer

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #15563 on: February 26, 2021, 03:18:07 pm »

I’m very surprised you, as a teacher, believe you “cannot ...make impartial decisions”. In other words, suspend your feelings about particular pupils in order to ensure grades you are responsible for are fair.

As for the bolder bit, I’m confused. Disadvantaged in what regard? Kids from homes where schooling isn’t considered as important as those from homes where it is? Kids with low attainment because of learning difficulties? And why does “advantaged” seem to mean less likely to make good that advantage in an exam-based assessment, when compared with “disadvantaged”?

On the face of it, you seem to be on Gove’s side, arguing that more exams make grading fairer. If I haven’t misconstrued your post, I most definitely disagree. Pupils from homes that value schooling highly, and are supportive of the school, in my experience always do better than those without that home support - whether in school based assessment, or via public exams.

Trust in teachers is at the very core of a successful state education system. Moreover, one of the biggest bugbears for people who decide teaching is their vocation is the inevitable changes to the system brought about by professional (and inevitably super-ambitious) politicians passing through DES on their way up the greasy pole. To make their mark, they need to implement change - and it’s usually change for changes sake.

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15564 on: February 26, 2021, 06:00:58 pm »
I’m very surprised you, as a teacher, believe you “cannot ...make impartial decisions”. In other words, suspend your feelings about particular pupils in order to ensure grades you are responsible for are fair.

As for the bolder bit, I’m confused. Disadvantaged in what regard? Kids from homes where schooling isn’t considered as important as those from homes where it is? Kids with low attainment because of learning difficulties? And why does “advantaged” seem to mean less likely to make good that advantage in an exam-based assessment, when compared with “disadvantaged”?

On the face of it, you seem to be on Gove’s side, arguing that more exams make grading fairer. If I haven’t misconstrued your post, I most definitely disagree. Pupils from homes that value schooling highly, and are supportive of the school, in my experience always do better than those without that home support - whether in school based assessment, or via public exams.

Trust in teachers is at the very core of a successful state education system. Moreover, one of the biggest bugbears for people who decide teaching is their vocation is the inevitable changes to the system brought about by professional (and inevitably super-ambitious) politicians passing through DES on their way up the greasy pole. To make their mark, they need to implement change - and it’s usually change for changes sake.

Yes, the problem here is that your experience is simply wrong. Anecdote is not the same as evidence.  You can disagree, but it doesn’t stop you being wrong.

The evidence is that disadvantaged students do best in exams compared to any other form of assessment.

By disadvantaged, in education we refer to IDACI funding, ie the financial deprivation of an area kids come from.  We also look at those who have free schools meals.

Now, deprived kids do indeed do worse in exams that advantaged kids.  But that gap is closer than in continuous assessment, non examined assessments or course work.  Disadvantaged kids don’t get the support form home to help them in these non examined tasks. They are also more likely to have the “soft skills” to help (a reason why we ought to get rid of university interviews. Disadvantaged kids are also more likely to be harshly by teachers  graded than their middle class peers.  Boys are also more likely to be graded more harshly than girls.

Teachers are inherently biased in their grading, trust us? Hell yes, but we are human, and these subconscious biases.
Trust us to teach and assess usefully? Absolutely.
Trust us to pluck a grade out of our arses and be free of bias?  Absolutely not. 
And even without bias, what makes a kid a grade 9?  There is no descriptor that says x, y and z is a 9.  We can say who our best kid is, our worst kid, and rank them in order, and we can do this pretty well and would be very similar to another colleague in another school.  But in terms of plucking a grade out of the air?  Well it’s no more than a guess, and one teacher’s guess will be very different to another teacher’s guess in a different school.
And we shouldn’t be plucking a grade out of the air, because we shouldn’t be asking teachers to guess.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #15565 on: February 26, 2021, 06:52:48 pm »
Yes, the problem here is that your experience is simply wrong. Anecdote is not the same as evidence.  You can disagree, but it doesn’t stop you being wrong.

The evidence is that disadvantaged students do best in exams compared to any other form of assessment.

By disadvantaged, in education we refer to IDACI funding, ie the financial deprivation of an area kids come from.  We also look at those who have free schools meals.

Now, deprived kids do indeed do worse in exams that advantaged kids.  But that gap is closer than in continuous assessment, non examined assessments or course work.  Disadvantaged kids don’t get the support form home to help them in these non examined tasks. They are also more likely to have the “soft skills” to help (a reason why we ought to get rid of university interviews. Disadvantaged kids are also more likely to be harshly by teachers  graded than their middle class peers.  Boys are also more likely to be graded more harshly than girls.

Teachers are inherently biased in their grading, trust us? Hell yes, but we are human, and these subconscious biases.
Trust us to teach and assess usefully? Absolutely.
Trust us to pluck a grade out of our arses and be free of bias?  Absolutely not. 
And even without bias, what makes a kid a grade 9?  There is no descriptor that says x, y and z is a 9.  We can say who our best kid is, our worst kid, and rank them in order, and we can do this pretty well and would be very similar to another colleague in another school.  But in terms of plucking a grade out of the air?  Well it’s no more than a guess, and one teacher’s guess will be very different to another teacher’s guess in a different school.
And we shouldn’t be plucking a grade out of the air, because we shouldn’t be asking teachers to guess.

Tepid, I’m well aware of the pitfalls involved in framing an argument around anecdote, not evidence. The evidence you refer to is something I’d like to research further, and will do so.

I don’t think anything I said indicated that I thought “plucking grades out of the air” (or anywhere else) was acceptable. I am interested to discover that current teaching practices use the research you cite, and ‘disadvantage’ is best served, educationally, by relying on public exams, not teacher assessment.

I spent 32 years in 11-18 education - all in so-called ‘sink’ schools, where there was a higher than average number of pupils on free school meals, and where on parents evenings we often outnumbered parents. I spent 5 years as a head of year, and 22 years as head of department and faculty. But I retired in 2003, so clearly am at a disadvantage when having a dialogue about current practice and what informs it.

Even so, I have to say I remain surprised at the evidence you refer to - it’s counter intuitive to say the least. It also seems to support something troubling in your posts, the idea of deep seated, if unconscious, bias by teachers against disadvantaged pupils. Have schools become such exam factories that the focus is almost solely how they fare in league tables? How depressing, and how anti-educational if true.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15566 on: February 26, 2021, 07:03:21 pm »
Tepid, I’m well aware of the pitfalls involved in framing an argument around anecdote, not evidence. The evidence you refer to is something I’d like to research further, and will do so.

I don’t think anything I said indicated that I thought “plucking grades out of the air” (or anywhere else) was acceptable. I am interested to discover that current teaching practices use the research you cite, and ‘disadvantage’ is best served, educationally, by relying on public exams, not teacher assessment.

I spent 32 years in 11-18 education - all in so-called ‘sink’ schools, where there was a higher than average number of pupils on free school meals, and where on parents evenings we often outnumbered parents. I spent 5 years as a head of year, and 22 years as head of department and faculty. But I retired in 2003, so clearly am at a disadvantage when having a dialogue about current practice and what informs it.

Even so, I have to say I remain surprised at the evidence you refer to - it’s counter intuitive to say the least. It also seems to support something troubling in your posts, the idea of deep seated, if unconscious, bias by teachers against disadvantaged pupils. Have schools become such exam factories that the focus is almost solely how they fare in league tables? How depressing, and how anti-educational if true.
Schools have not become exam factories. But there is an I inconvenient  truth ....,

Middle class kids can afford to have less focus on exams, they can afford to have the nicer stuff, the frills and the stuff that doesn’t get you good grades.

Deprived kids can’t. They don’t have their background of supportive parents (awful generalisation forgive me, but I am talking demographics here).

So if they don’t get pushed to get good exam grades, they are less likely to have something to fall back on and are more likely to fail to succeed further on.

I agree, of course there is more to life than exams. But fir deprived kids the way out of deprivation is good exam grades, it’s going to university, it’s educational advantage.

And exams are the best way of giving them that educational advantage. They are the least bad way of grading them.

And what’s worse, teacher assessments also discriminate against SEN kids, Girls on maths, boys in English and against black and Asian kids (depending on subject).

For example
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/cmpo/migrated/documents/wp221.pdf

https://cls.ucl.ac.uk/able-pupils-from-poorer-homes-less-likely-to-be-judged-above-average-new-research-suggests/

So, if exams are anti educational, how anti educational is it to discriminate against poor kids, black kids, SEN kids?l

Something to think bout.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:10:44 pm by TepidT2O »
W

Online Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15567 on: February 27, 2021, 07:46:35 pm »

Can't believe no-one else picked up on this (deliberate in some cases) auto-correct

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15568 on: February 27, 2021, 08:04:38 pm »
Can't believe no-one else picked up on this (deliberate in some cases) auto-correct
;D ooops
W

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #15569 on: February 27, 2021, 08:08:55 pm »
;D ooops

And here's me thinking you were referring to delinquent students in washed out Levi's, leather jacket, greased back duck's arse hairstyle, ciggie tucked behind the ear and a concealed flick knife.

Offline Bcnsean

• Main Stander
« Reply #15570 on: February 27, 2021, 08:46:33 pm »

Honestly it just makes it all the more baffling to me that Labour sat on their hands so much when our governments incompetence was literally killing people needlessly, a seed for them being irresponsible and reckless could have been planted with the electorate there and the window has well and truly been closed now

How did they sit on their hands exactly? I watched pretty much every PMQs during the first wave and Starmer attacked the Tories over every calamitous mistake they made. How else were Labour supposed to capitalise on the errors?

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #15571 on: February 27, 2021, 09:10:13 pm »
This fella isn’t winning a raffle.

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 43% (+1)
LAB: 36% (-1)
LDEM: 7% (+1)
GRN: 4% (-1)

via @OpiniumResearch, 24 - 26 Feb
Chgs. w/ 12 Feb

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1365755544686977025?s=21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15572 on: February 27, 2021, 09:12:45 pm »

Johnson benefitting from the NHS vaccination bonus explains a lot.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #15573 on: February 27, 2021, 09:16:16 pm »
The tories are going to have a hell of a summer.

Between them actually doing very well over the vaccination, pushing Britain's involvement in developing it, rolling it out incredibly more efficiently than the EU, getting back to business and normality quicker than those same EU nations because of that, talk of England as the sole nation hosting Euro 2021 as well as the general boom of good feeling from the general public as we're able to get back to living our lives there's going to be a HUGE wave of nationalism and Johnson et al will be like pigs in shit.

Brexit and its negative effects will be able to be buried in the pandemic recovery, the lines will be so blurred there'll be no traction for any critical examination of how this Tory Brexit is negatively affecting us.

Honestly it just makes it all the more baffling to me that Labour sat on their hands so much when our governments incompetence was literally killing people needlessly, a seed for them being irresponsible and reckless could have been planted with the electorate there and the window has well and truly been closed now

2021 is a write off in terms of anything damaging heading in the Tories direction, despite their awful handling of the pandemic they're going to end up doing very fucking well out of it.

I must be some kind of dickhead, but I think the nations health and binning off this fucking thing is more important than politics at the moment.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #15574 on: February 28, 2021, 03:18:57 am »

If the election was held tomorrow, he'd still hope to knock around 40/50 seats out of the Tory majority even polling like that going into it. 'Just' closing the gap by 4% or so from the 2019 result pulls things back to hung parliament/tiny Tory majority kind of territory. This is all Labour Together report though so meh. We're two or three years out from an election, see then whether this was the Tory peak or not. Labour will still lose though - chances of sweeping either Scotland or the rural English shires are slim to none. Improvement's the reasonable ask.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15575 on: February 28, 2021, 08:20:15 am »
Winning without winning

Someone photoshop Starmer's face on to that mural of Moyes

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15576 on: February 28, 2021, 08:49:49 am »
Back to the subject of the thread as per title.  Sunak on Sophie Ridge on sky news, in response to a query about whether furlough will be extended responds; “I remain committed to doing whatever it takes to support business”.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15577 on: February 28, 2021, 09:40:02 am »
Annalise Dodds is so shit and the Tories have snookered Labour big time on this tax issue.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15578 on: February 28, 2021, 09:45:37 am »
Annalise Dodds is so shit and the Tories have snookered Labour big time on this tax issue.
She’s just so timid.  Nice lady.  Hugely intelligent .... not one for a big public role
W

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15579 on: February 28, 2021, 09:48:18 am »
Back to the subject of the thread as per title.  Sunak on Sophie Ridge on sky news, in response to a query about whether furlough will be extended responds; “I remain committed to doing whatever it takes to support business”.

Furlough will be extended.  No way they'll let it go.

He will also extend the Stamp Duty holiday - gotta keep that housing price boom going!

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #15580 on: February 28, 2021, 12:02:12 pm »
Furlough will be extended.  No way they'll let it go.

He will also extend the Stamp Duty holiday - gotta keep that housing price boom going!

It sounds like a replacement for the Help To Buy scheme will be brought in as well if rumours are to be believed

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15581 on: February 28, 2021, 12:20:22 pm »
It sounds like a replacement for the Help To Buy scheme will be brought in as well if rumours are to be believed

Yep.  People who were hoping the prices would drop/stabilise after the pandemic are going to be disappointed.  Governments will continue to try to inflate house prices as much as they can.

Some prices have increased 20% during the past year.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:22:01 pm by Red-Soldier »

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #15582 on: February 28, 2021, 12:22:11 pm »
Yep.  People who were hoping the prices would drop/stabilise after the pandemic are going to be disappointed.  Governments will continue to try to inflate house prices as much as they can.

If we get inflation and rising rates though, that is the one thing that will finally bring some real downwards pressure on the market.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15583 on: February 28, 2021, 12:31:03 pm »
If we get inflation and rising rates though, that is the one thing that will finally bring some real downwards pressure on the market.
It would also reduce the value of people’s huge home loans making them relatively cheaper...

Big issues with inflation of course...!
W

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15584 on: February 28, 2021, 12:31:52 pm »

Some prices have increased 20% during the past year.

Think trend is fuelled by a number of aspects, inc. movers from urban to rural (and from city centre to suburbs) and those seeking more space to facilitate work from home.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15585 on: February 28, 2021, 12:36:43 pm »
Think trend is fuelled by a number of aspects, inc. movers from urban to rural (and from city centre to suburbs) and those seeking more space to facilitate work from home.

As always - pushing the prices up for the locals! Most of which are not on Urban/City wages.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #15586 on: February 28, 2021, 12:58:12 pm »
And here's me thinking you were referring to delinquent students in washed out Levi's, leather jacket, greased back duck's arse hairstyle, ciggie tucked behind the ear and a concealed flick knife.

You're thinking of Eton
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15587 on: February 28, 2021, 01:29:17 pm »
As always - pushing the prices up for the locals! Most of which are not on Urban/City wages.

We live in a nice suburb, its always been pricy, but at least locals could afford it, now all our kids are being priced out due to the ridiculous prices, ours had doubled since 2006, its knocking on for nearly £300k now and is in no way worth that, but the knock on effect is that they then have to move to the cheaper areas like Eccles and Irlam, which then means the ones who could only afford those areas are going to get priced out and have nowhere to go. The bank tried to get me to take out a buy to let mortgage to get a place in Irlam, but I refuse on principle to join the group who wreck the housing markets, so wouldn't do it.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #15588 on: March 1, 2021, 08:27:28 am »
It’s amazing that those who vote conservative dream of the mythical halcyon days of the 50s (especially in the states), where everyone lived in a perfect house, dad had a secure good paying job & mum could afford to stay home & look after Timmy & Susie, whilst the leadership sell that but really want the 1850s; where the rich were filthy rich, everyone knew their place & their was to be no upward mobility.

And they still vote for them, regardless that both partners generally have to work at least 1 job each just to afford the same standard of housing their parents had, childcare is pushed on to those same retired parents & the grandchildren (as Rob said) cannot even afford to stay in the same area they were brought up in.

The Tories have almost perpetually been in office since the 1950s, but none of this regression (despite it being their unashamed manifesto) is their fault somehow. Their voters can’t seem to connect to the dots between their pursuit of the ultimate unfettered capitalist (at best) one-party state and the actual state of things.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15589 on: March 1, 2021, 10:20:20 am »
On the subject of housing it appears Jenrick has quietly changed protection afforded to those renting.  Story in this mornings Guardian.  Effectively landlords can now proceed with eviction of those falling behind with rent payments >6months.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15590 on: March 1, 2021, 10:36:56 am »
It’s amazing that those who vote conservative dream of the mythical halcyon days of the 50s (especially in the states), where everyone lived in a perfect house, dad had a secure good paying job & mum could afford to stay home & look after Timmy & Susie, whilst the leadership sell that but really want the 1850s; where the rich were filthy rich, everyone knew their place & their was to be no upward mobility.

And they still vote for them, regardless that both partners generally have to work at least 1 job each just to afford the same standard of housing their parents had, childcare is pushed on to those same retired parents & the grandchildren (as Rob said) cannot even afford to stay in the same area they were brought up in.

The Tories have almost perpetually been in office since the 1950s, but none of this regression (despite it being their unashamed manifesto) is their fault somehow. Their voters can’t seem to connect to the dots between their pursuit of the ultimate unfettered capitalist (at best) one-party state and the actual state of things.

Continental holidays and Sky have replaced the Roman 'bread and circuses'. Just enough to keep the majority content, if not happy.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15591 on: March 1, 2021, 12:16:06 pm »
Shadow health Secretary has written to Patel seeking answers as to how the Brazilian Covid variant is present here and says it shows ‘unforgivable incompetence from Government’.

Online 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #15592 on: March 1, 2021, 12:49:48 pm »
Shadow health Secretary has written to Patel seeking answers as to how the Brazilian Covid variant is present here and says it shows ‘unforgivable incompetence from Government’.

Patel Smirks and says
“I told you these foreigners were sneaky...”
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15593 on: March 1, 2021, 12:52:23 pm »
Just in case anyone hasn't read the below yet. What horrible, spiteful nation of nasty little curtain-twitchers we live in.

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2021/feb/25/job-losses-in-pandemic-due-to-performance-issues-say-nearly-half-of-britons

Late to this but we live in a horrible little island.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15594 on: March 1, 2021, 12:57:07 pm »

Came in via Aberdeen - we have a lot of travel between Aberdeen and Brazil for oil related work. Came in before the new mandatory quaranting rules came into effect.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15595 on: March 1, 2021, 01:00:18 pm »
Came in via Aberdeen - we have a lot of travel between Aberdeen and Brazil for oil related work. Came in before the new mandatory quaranting rules came into effect.

Yep and apparently they’re unable to trace one who seems to have dodged the self-named ‘world class’ track and trace system.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15596 on: March 1, 2021, 01:02:44 pm »
Yep and apparently they’re unable to trace one who seems to have dodged the self-named ‘world class’ track and trace system.

Ah apparently that is a separate case in England unrelated to the Aberdeen cases.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #15597 on: March 1, 2021, 04:25:09 pm »
Thought this was interesting.

In 2013, at the height of George Gideon Oliver Osborne, son of Sir Peter Osborne, 17th Baronet of Ballentaylor and Ballylemon and Felicity Alexandra Loxton-Peacock, educated at St. Paul's and Magdalen College, Oxford’s austerity drive, 37 per cent of people thought benefits were too high, but that has more than halved to just 15 per cent, according to polling firm YouGov. At the same time the proportion of people who think payments are too low has jumped from 21 per cent to 35 per cent.

(Esther Webber's Red Box e-mail, http://nuk-tnl-deck-email.s3.amazonaws.com/2/07c70f3b440791aa82c370d17910f32f.html )

40% of the population is still on glue though.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15598 on: March 1, 2021, 05:18:24 pm »
The tories are going to have a hell of a summer.

Between them actually doing very well over the vaccination, pushing Britain's involvement in developing it, rolling it out incredibly more efficiently than the EU, getting back to business and normality quicker than those same EU nations because of that, talk of England as the sole nation hosting Euro 2021 as well as the general boom of good feeling from the general public as we're able to get back to living our lives there's going to be a HUGE wave of nationalism and Johnson et al will be like pigs in shit.

Brexit and its negative effects will be able to be buried in the pandemic recovery, the lines will be so blurred there'll be no traction for any critical examination of how this Tory Brexit is negatively affecting us.

2021 is a write off in terms of anything damaging heading in the Tories direction, despite their awful handling of the pandemic they're going to end up doing very fucking well out of it.
Let's not forget the labour 'supporters' like yourself doing the Tories' campaigning for them.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15599 on: March 1, 2021, 05:48:19 pm »
Let's not forget the labour 'supporters' like yourself doing the Tories' campaigning for them.

Who said I was a Labour supporter? I support socialism.