Author Topic: Five English clubs named in ‘European Super League’ plan for 2021  (Read 38596 times)

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Five English clubs named in ‘European Super League’ plan for 2021
« Reply #160 on: November 4, 2018, 07:26:31 pm »
Wild how this has got more people riled up than actual corruption. Media puffing their cheeks and acting indignant about sporting integrity while glossing over a far worse threat to their precious integrity.

(This is a shit idea and a potential sport killer)

This is the definition of corruption.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #161 on: November 4, 2018, 11:16:21 pm »
The worst thing would be that Everton might win the league, if not them, then Spurs. No fucking way can that be allowed to happen.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: November 5, 2018, 12:09:08 am »
This is the definition of corruption.

No this is greed and arrogance. What City and PSG have done is corruption. But nobody's talking about it because they're mad about this instead.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: November 5, 2018, 07:19:28 am »
You've got to question the understanding of psychology among the guys making these plans if they think  making the elite teams face-off against each other regularly will increase, or even maintain interest in football over a season. Less is more with the good stuff. The Italian and Spanish leagues were destroyed anyway by their tv deals favouring the bigger clubs (Spain more than Italy), if they want to increase interest in the league level the field, get regulation (and action) going mandating new stadiums / club owned stadiums in Italy, if they do the hard yards they can get these leagues competitive, on par or even above the English one in terms of viewer interest. Within our lifetimes these leagues were big time.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #164 on: November 7, 2018, 03:43:10 pm »
From what I can see, it would be a terrible idea, as people don't seem interested in the idea. If people are taken on their word in here, people wouldn't watch the European Super League and would watch a local team instead. This suggests many regular match-goers would not watch the new league meaning it would lose a section of its audience, who would instead, rather still watch the domestic game as-is, without the 5 teams who are leaving involved.

This suggests there would be a market for the English domestic league as it is. It wouldn't attract the world-wide audience that would almost certainly follow the Super League but it would create a more, stable and more competitive structure, the kind supporters have yearned for, when rallying against Modern Football.

There might be some losers at the top of the tier, like Everton and Tottenham, but if we are to believe people, there would be more interest in the rest of the sides, who'd gain a larger proportion of the domestic viewing figures than today, earning themselves more.

The clubs who could live with this would remain in the long run, the clubs who couldn't and wanted to chase the mega-money (like Spurs) would form the Super League 2nd tier along with the other big European clubs excluded from the original version.

You're then left with two different structures in European football. The commercial giant and the domestic game. One which epitomizes everything football really is today (a money-making machine filled with super brands) and one which is closer to football from a previous era. Both would have a following, some of which would overlap, but both could also exist as two very different options.

For Liverpool fans, some would stay with them, otherwise wouldn't. The two camps probably best defined by there loyalty. Undoubtedly some would see it as losing their club, but getting their game back. Given our outlook as supporters, I think this change would hit us harder than many. There is a chance we leave for the new league and lose all our local support.

The transition is likely to be painful. Some will win and other will lose and I stand on the side that eventually more will win. It would cause many people to question what they want from supporting a football team and in the long run it could make no difference, with the domestic game just evolving along the same path as modern football but it could become something the match-going fan prefers.

The current system seems like someone suffering an existential crisis, as it is lying to itself about what it has become. To me, this means it doesn't best suit anyone's needs or wants. The European Super League could break this lie and allow football to exist in its to opposing states. It may be idealistic but I think this could actually save football and leave everyone more satisfied in the long run.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: November 7, 2018, 04:39:01 pm »
From what I can see, it would be a terrible idea, as people don't seem interested in the idea. If people are taken on their word in here, people wouldn't watch the European Super League and would watch a local team instead. This suggests many regular match-goers would not watch the new league meaning it would lose a section of its audience, who would instead, rather still watch the domestic game as-is, without the 5 teams who are leaving involved.

This suggests there would be a market for the English domestic league as it is. It wouldn't attract the world-wide audience that would almost certainly follow the Super League but it would create a more, stable and more competitive structure, the kind supporters have yearned for, when rallying against Modern Football.

There might be some losers at the top of the tier, like Everton and Tottenham, but if we are to believe people, there would be more interest in the rest of the sides, who'd gain a larger proportion of the domestic viewing figures than today, earning themselves more.

The clubs who could live with this would remain in the long run, the clubs who couldn't and wanted to chase the mega-money (like Spurs) would form the Super League 2nd tier along with the other big European clubs excluded from the original version.

You're then left with two different structures in European football. The commercial giant and the domestic game. One which epitomizes everything football really is today (a money-making machine filled with super brands) and one which is closer to football from a previous era. Both would have a following, some of which would overlap, but both could also exist as two very different options.

For Liverpool fans, some would stay with them, otherwise wouldn't. The two camps probably best defined by there loyalty. Undoubtedly some would see it as losing their club, but getting their game back. Given our outlook as supporters, I think this change would hit us harder than many. There is a chance we leave for the new league and lose all our local support.

The transition is likely to be painful. Some will win and other will lose and I stand on the side that eventually more will win. It would cause many people to question what they want from supporting a football team and in the long run it could make no difference, with the domestic game just evolving along the same path as modern football but it could become something the match-going fan prefers.

The current system seems like someone suffering an existential crisis, as it is lying to itself about what it has become. To me, this means it doesn't best suit anyone's needs or wants. The European Super League could break this lie and allow football to exist in its to opposing states. It may be idealistic but I think this could actually save football and leave everyone more satisfied in the long run.

why should we give our club up because of the money men and fucking geg in c*nts? it was here long before any of them gave a fuck and it will still be here once they've totally fucked everything up and lost interest, they can fuck right off and anything like this should be fought against tooth and nail to kill it off before it even gets off the ground

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: November 7, 2018, 05:26:58 pm »
It'd be like one of those pre-season tournaments in long form. Horrendous. And it'd be shite for domestic leagues. All in all, it's an awful idea for everyone except the clubs who will get really rich for a few years. And let's face it, these poor sods need the money.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: November 7, 2018, 07:03:01 pm »
why should we give our club up because of the money men and fucking geg in c*nts? it was here long before any of them gave a fuck and it will still be here once they've totally fucked everything up and lost interest, they can fuck right off and anything like this should be fought against tooth and nail to kill it off before it even gets off the ground

We don’t have to give up anything. However, the attempt to create a Super League of sorts seems inevitable and it may well beyond the power of our supporter base to stop it, as other European sides, including English clubs, may be for it and therefore it could happen with or without us.

The question for us will then be, do we want to be apart of this new league potentially sacrificing our place in domestic football or stay with the rest potentially sacrificing our chance to play any of the European Giants again?

Deciding either way has huge consequences and may not sit well with sections of our supporter base. If we go with the new league, I don’t doubt they’ll be a swathe of supporters leaving for other clubs like AFC Liverpool, and if we stay we risk losing touch with our international following due to the diminishing of our status in world football.

I don’t doubt our ability as a fan base to force the owners hand either way. We’ve done as much before and we’ll be able to do it again, but it is bound to be a divisive issue if the new league becomes less of a possibility and more of a certainty.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 7, 2018, 07:43:26 pm »
FIFA say anyone who plays in it will be banned from playing in the World Cup. That'll be the end of it.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: November 7, 2018, 08:23:48 pm »
FIFA say anyone who plays in it will be banned from playing in the World Cup. That'll be the end of it.

How much money does it take to convince players to not play for their country? If anything that could be a bonus for those running the league. No burden of international football.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #170 on: November 7, 2018, 08:29:38 pm »

I'm for it now... :P   ;)

If a Super League is formed to replace the Champions League, then we would end up playing Man Utd, City, Arsenal, Chelsea home and away in the Premier League and the Super League.

So that's 4 times per season minimum. We could draw any of them in the domestic cups as well.

That would dilute things eventually as supporters get tired of the same ol' teams every season. Remember when it seemed we played Chelsea 5 times a season back in 2005-2007. Boring.

If a Super League is a breakaway league, then that is different proposition. A virtual closed shop with 11 sides guaranteed their spot. League meetings, then playoffs, then the Super League Super Bowl.

The Super League would be perfect for moving matches to different venues around the World. The Super League would be club run and not FIFA. So confederations approvel wouldn't be needed to have a match outside Europe.

Further I could envision a breakway Super League Americas.

So two Super Leagues and the Super Bowl Final would be between the European Champion v Americas Champion.

A World Cup wouldn't be needed because the best players would be in the Super League(s).
« Last Edit: November 7, 2018, 08:31:45 pm by 4pool »
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: November 7, 2018, 08:32:46 pm »
How much money does it take to convince players to not play for their country? If anything that could be a bonus for those running the league. No burden of international football.

Every players seems to love playing for their country

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #172 on: November 7, 2018, 08:38:52 pm »
Every players seems to love playing for their country

I think we would see that change if they where offered enough money
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #173 on: November 7, 2018, 08:42:37 pm »

Players at the highest level WILL ALWAYS want to play for their countries no matter how much money you offered them not to.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: November 7, 2018, 08:43:39 pm »
I think we would see that change if they where offered enough money

I don't think so. Especially when it comes to Latin players. Playing for their countries means absolutely everything to them.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #175 on: November 8, 2018, 11:21:03 am »

This was my point - clubs be delighted with no international friendly breaks, less games, less injuries. Players might be upset for a bit but after couple years meh internationals don't pay....
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #176 on: November 8, 2018, 11:27:29 am »
This was my point - clubs be delighted with no international friendly breaks, less games, less injuries. Players might be upset for a bit but after couple years meh internationals don't pay....

Us fans might not like internationals, the players by and large love them though. They absolutely love playing for their countries. It's a great honour for them. Especially for the Latin and probably the Arab and the Balkan players too. I just couldn't see them ever giving up the chance to play for their countries. No matter how much money you offered them.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #177 on: November 8, 2018, 11:29:52 am »

Us fans might not like internationals, the players by and large love them though. They absolutely love playing for their countries. It's a great honour for them. Especially for the Latin and probably the Arab and the Balkan players too. I just couldn't see them ever giving up the chance to play for their countries. No matter how much money you offered them.

Ones that never have won't notice the difference. If they already play say under age of 20 for the "super league" they'll never know international football and won't care.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #178 on: November 8, 2018, 11:35:56 am »
Ones that never have won't notice the difference. If they already play say under age of 20 for the "super league" they'll never know international football and won't care.

They'd be playing in a super league, not on another bloody planet. Those young lads would have grown up watching their heroes play in WC's, European Championships, African Cup of Nations etc...And will dream of doing the same.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: November 8, 2018, 11:50:28 am »
You could just imagne those young players playing for these super league clubs, sat at home twiddling their thumbs. Watching enviously as their mates who play for the likes of Spurs, Everton, Leicester etc..were all away playing at a World Cup. Possibly even playing in a final. Yeah, that would go down well...

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #180 on: November 8, 2018, 01:50:02 pm »
Yeah, it's not a matter of how much to pay players to get them to give up international football, it's a matter of how much will it cost bribe FIFA for them to change their minds.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline ArthurDent

• Knows where his towel is!
  • Kopite
« Reply #181 on: November 9, 2018, 12:08:03 pm »
Is it just me or does this not make sense. If 11 teams are guaranteed to not be relegated, then some of the other 5 teams will be relegated, no matter where they finish. Or am I missing something ?
"Stop thinking about money. Only think about football." Jürgen Klopp 9th Oct 2015.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #182 on: November 9, 2018, 04:09:24 pm »
Is it just me or does this not make sense. If 11 teams are guaranteed to not be relegated, then some of the other 5 teams will be relegated, no matter where they finish. Or am I missing something ?

Sounds like it. So you could be third and relegated? Also, if this is to replace the CL, you could have a team in this, guaranteed not to be relegated, who also get relegated to the championship?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 9, 2018, 04:24:33 pm »
I'll pack footy in altogether if this comes to fruition.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2018, 05:10:44 pm »
Dortmund fans banner today at the front of the yellow wall:

"Borussia Dortmund must not be part of an elite league that is closed off. NO to the Super League."

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2019, 07:09:21 pm »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/sports/champions-league-europe-restructuring.html

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here yet.  No surprise that it's Agnelli and Juve and the Milan teams who have the most to gain from this.  You would think the English teams would say no to this as it would erode their domestic money advantage.  Would also basically destroy teams like Brighton, Bournemouth, etc.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2019, 10:52:06 pm »
Great news.

Can't wait for this to go forward and see one of the franchises sold to Mateschitz, or anyone with more money to offer.
Yes, they would be franchises. Every single club joining this bastardchild of greed and... well greed, would not exist in anyway but name.

Fuschl am See United for anyone?
Red Bull Arse?
Moscow Reds playing at Dalglish Arena at the red square?

They've done it before, and if they get their sticky fingers in football they'll do it again.

Minnesota North Stars -> Dallas Stars
Quebec Nordiques -> Colorado Avalanche
Hartford Whalers -> Carolina Hurricanes
Winnipeg Jets -> Phoenix Coyotes
Atlanta Trashers -> Winnipeg Jets, yes they are back by name.

And there are more in the NHL.

Can't be arsed to look up the other "sports entertainment" teams in the US, guessing there are plenty.

Glory hunters won't mind, those owners who approve to this are in it just for the money.

Only the fans get fucked.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2019, 10:58:26 pm »
Maybe it means the Sheik sells up and moves to a different club.  City will be fucked. :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2019, 05:14:11 am »
Can't be arsed to look up the other "sports entertainment" teams in the US, guessing there are plenty.
The best one I can think of is the Utah Jazz of the NBA.

Utah, home of the very conservative lily-white Mormons. Probably not a jazz aficianado in the whole state. ;D

The Jazz franchise used to be in New Orleans, which is -- you guessed it -- the home of jazz music (and heavy drinking, women flashing their hooters, and other related debauchery).

“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #189 on: February 4, 2021, 05:07:40 pm »
New info from the Telegraph on a proposed revision to the Champions League

Six Premier League clubs may play in Champions League from 2024 onwards

by Telegraph Sport, Chris Bascombe, Sam Wallace, Jason Burt, Sam Wallace,, Tom Garry,

Premier League clubs discussed for the first time on Thursday new Uefa proposals for expanded European club competitions post-2024 which would potentially see six English clubs in the Champions League — the top four plus two upgraded on historic performance.

An option put in front of the 20 clubs on the February shareholders’ call on Thursday afternoon, one of the so-called “Swiss model” ideas, would see 36 clubs in a new look Champions League post 2024. Those clubs would each play 10 group games, with fixtures based on seeding, and be placed from first to 36th in a league table at the end of the stage.

Critically, qualification for this new Champions League could be earned by clubs finishing outside the top four by Uefa co-efficient – a metric measuring historical performance. Under the 36-team proposal, the Premier League would be given seven places in Europe: four in the Champions League, two in the Europa League and one in the new Uefa Europa Conference League to be launched from next season.

Any club finishing outside the Premier League’s top four automatic Champions League places — but in fifth to seventh place — could potentially be upgraded to the Champions League by virtue of their co-efficient. For example, should Manchester United finish seventh in the Premier League – only good for an automatic Uefa Conference League place, they could see their co-efficient “boost” them up to a Champions League place. Any Premier League club finishing outside the top seven would be unable to qualify for European football, regardless of their co-efficient.

It means that depending on the final Premier League position of certain clubs, and the strength of their co-efficient relative to clubs across other European leagues in equivalent positions, there could be as many as six English Champions League teams in one season. That would consist of the top four automatic qualifiers and two more who have been boosted up by their co-efficient. Their vacated places in the Europa and Conference Leagues would not be taken by other English clubs.

Under this proposal, the total of English clubs in all European competitions would be capped at seven. In a scenario where two extra English clubs are boosted up to the Champions League there would be a total of six in that competition and one in the Europa League.

Of the 36-team league playing 10 matches each, an equal number home and away, the top eight clubs would then qualify automatically for the next round, the first knockout round of 16. The clubs placed from ninth to 24th would play off to go into that round of 16. There would be a total of 19 matchdays and 225 matches. There are currently 32 clubs in the Champions League and 48 in the Europa League. Under new proposals that would be adjusted to 36 in the Champions League and 32 in both the Europa League and the new Conference League.

The Premier League clubs discussed the proposals but no decisions were made. They will eventually agree on a set of recommendations which will be fed back to Uefa. There was no discussion of a putative breakaway, the European super league. No model has yet been suggested for the new distribution of revenue.

Uefa’s broadcast contracts expire in 2024 after which the big European clubs led by Real Madrid president Florentino Perez and Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli are asking for a huge increase in games and a much greater share of revenue for what they consider to be the established powers.

Uefa are fighting to keep control of their most lucrative competitions, the Champions League and the Europa League, as well as the new Conference League but recognise that they will have to make huge changes to appease the biggest clubs.

Fifa has issued a warning that any player who participates in an unsanctioned breakaway competition will be banned from playing in a World Cup finals. Fifa has plans to expand its Fifa Club World Cup and appears to have an informal agreement with Uefa in which they will support one another against any independent breakaways.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 4, 2021, 05:10:26 pm »
More games, it's always more fucking games

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 4, 2021, 05:19:24 pm »
Money grabbing c*nts.

They don't want to risk having one of the big names not in the CL and missing out on a payday.

Completely diminishing the value of the competition.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2021, 05:21:55 pm by deano2727 »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #192 on: February 4, 2021, 05:21:44 pm »
Great news.

Can't wait for this to go forward and see one of the franchises sold to Mateschitz, or anyone with more money to offer.
Yes, they would be franchises. Every single club joining this bastardchild of greed and... well greed, would not exist in anyway but name.

Fuschl am See United for anyone?
Red Bull Arse?
Moscow Reds playing at Dalglish Arena at the red square?

They've done it before, and if they get their sticky fingers in football they'll do it again.

Minnesota North Stars -> Dallas Stars
Quebec Nordiques -> Colorado Avalanche
Hartford Whalers -> Carolina Hurricanes
Winnipeg Jets -> Phoenix Coyotes
Atlanta Trashers -> Winnipeg Jets, yes they are back by name.

And there are more in the NHL.

Glory hunters won't mind, those owners who approve to this are in it just for the money.

Only the fans get fucked.
That's it, back to Winnipeg!
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #193 on: February 4, 2021, 05:44:33 pm »
The update doesn't really go with this thread.  Either way this has been coming for a while as a way to get more TV money.  Still think the new 3rd tier is stupid.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 4, 2021, 05:49:17 pm »
Its the Super League by stealth.

I'll be honest, I no longer give a fuck about the PL, corrupt beast full of shit. The owners will want it too, over £500 million of the money that is generated solely due to us and the Mancs being in the league paid to Burnley, Brighton, Fulham, West Brom and Sheff Utd. How many of those voted to fuck us over with the 5 subs? Who would actually pay to watch a game involving them and anyone outside the top 4 established clubs?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 4, 2021, 06:07:44 pm »
Think so much of this is Real Madrid, Barcelona and other big European clubs realising the Premier League clubs money is seeing their power decrease so they want more revenue to compete by other means/ draw some of the money from the Premier League tv contracts into a model that they get a benefit from

Really don't like it- I've always thought it should be meritocratic and you need to earn a place in the competition.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #196 on: February 4, 2021, 06:21:22 pm »
More games, it's always more fucking games

Yep. It's a shite proposal to boot

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #197 on: February 4, 2021, 06:26:18 pm »
Fifa has issued a warning that any player who participates in an unsanctioned breakaway competition will be banned from playing in a World Cup finals. Fifa has plans to expand its Fifa Club World Cup and appears to have an informal agreement with Uefa in which they will support one another against any independent breakaways.

The reality is if English, Italian, German or Spanish clubs broke away to form a Super League, there's no way FIFA are realistically banning star players from those clubs. If Germany said we're picking Neuer, Kimmich, Sane etc what are FIFA going to do ban Germany from a WC? No chance.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 4, 2021, 07:45:01 pm »
The reality is if English, Italian, German or Spanish clubs broke away to form a Super League, there's no way FIFA are realistically banning star players from those clubs. If Germany said we're picking Neuer, Kimmich, Sane etc what are FIFA going to do ban Germany from a WC? No chance.

That's it right there, imagine Brazil without its European based players. A WC without all the star names is a World Cup no-one wants to watch anyway. And while players give it all the "playing for my country is the pinnacle shite" when the £300k a week wage is dropped to £10k a week in a stripped of TV deal league, you full well know what comes first.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #199 on: February 4, 2021, 07:51:52 pm »
The reality is that there is no Super League for every German, Italian, Spanish and French team so those leagues will still exist.  Same as the leagues in the UK.  So yeah, FIFA could toss them as it would only affect a small percentage of the overall players.