Author Topic: What games are you playing at the moment?  (Read 208667 times)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Re: What games are you playing at the moment?
« Reply #1240 on: February 4, 2021, 09:41:53 am »
thanks spammer!

He wasn’t even subtle :lmao

End of his RAWK road.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1241 on: February 4, 2021, 11:44:08 am »
Been messing about with XCom2: WotC again. Happens every time I try a new TTB which whiffs. XCom3 when?

For a slightly different, though not entirely exact experience and from the same creator, you could try Phoenix Point.

It has all the base elements that make X-COM good but with a tonne of variances.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2021, 11:46:26 am by has gone odd »
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1242 on: February 4, 2021, 12:25:52 pm »
Playing through control at the moment. Nice game although the facial animation is a bit weird. Like the uses of different powers and mods. Also like the way each level/area is designed, feels more retro.

Could never get in to Alan Wake and never played Quantum Break but enjoying this one.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1243 on: February 4, 2021, 04:36:28 pm »
Been messing about with XCom2: WotC again. Happens every time I try a new TTB which whiffs. XCom3 when?

Total War Warhammer 3 release video dropped today, incidentally. Creative Assembly's art department has been on point for a few years now and nailing it again. Here's to a smooth release of goodness later this year. WH2 has set a crazy high standard for them to match or surpass.
You are a man of great taste! I finally beat XCOM2 in 2020 (!) after trying, failing, deleting and reinstalling for many years.
I love Total War Warhammer 2, but I never manage to master it. It’s just too complex for me. I watch Vulcan Total War on YouTube to get my fix, he knows what’s up.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1244 on: February 4, 2021, 11:48:53 pm »
Playing through control at the moment. Nice game although the facial animation is a bit weird. Like the uses of different powers and mods. Also like the way each level/area is designed, feels more retro.

Could never get in to Alan Wake and never played Quantum Break but enjoying this one.

I got bored with Control after a while because it was getting a bit same samey.

Too much of the combat is just telekinesis and shooting.

I loved the atmosphere at first and that was really good fun but I got a bit impatient with the mystery at the end, which didn't end up grabbing me.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1245 on: February 6, 2021, 02:50:28 pm »
Have you tried going for Silent Assassin? I think that’s what it’s called. I found that good fun because you’re basically on you’re own.

You can disable opportunity alerts or set them to minimal which gives you something similar to what you're suggesting. The trouble is it feels like the levels are designed with everything enabled so you end up with a lot of objectives floating around the map which are unintuitive and time constrained.

I think the issue is that as tech has improved levels have gone bigger and more complex, which has made figuring things out for yourself a lot more difficult, so they added in the perception skill back in Absolution (highlights important objects) and then opportunities later on as a way to guide players through these bigger spaces. It's hard to just turn everything off and go back to the old way because the levels are just so much more detailed now and have so much going on.

I put myself off the new Hitman games running levels for the first time with opportunity hints disabled so I think I might play with them enabled and then turn things off when I repeat missions and try to hit the other objectives, these games have always been about replayability anyway.

I got bored with Control after a while because it was getting a bit same samey.

Too much of the combat is just telekinesis and shooting.

I loved the atmosphere at first and that was really good fun but I got a bit impatient with the mystery at the end, which didn't end up grabbing me.

I just finished Control too after it hit game pass, was fun but yeah a bit overrated. A lot of the progression systems felt kind of superfluous, I was constantly picking up weapon mods that barely did anything and had to repeatedly stop and delete them one by one as my inventory would fill way too fast. The way the weapon system worked too, where you had two equipped weapons you could switch between and had to go into a menu to equip others, felt really cumbersome in a game that seemed to want free flowing combat. I ended up sticking with the Pierce/Charge combo for most of the game as they were the most versatile.

I also wasn't a fan of just randomly exploding because a rocket would fly in hidden in a mess of special effects.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2021, 03:06:05 pm by Schmidt »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1246 on: February 7, 2021, 09:19:50 am »
For a slightly different, though not entirely exact experience and from the same creator, you could try Phoenix Point.

It has all the base elements that make X-COM good but with a tonne of variances.

I've actually got Phoenix Point, got it early in development. Waiting on the next DLC to drop to have another try of it. It's not bad, is it? Quite like the slight difference in take to it but it is very old school in a lot of ways, if not quite as much as Xenonauts is.

You are a man of great taste! I finally beat XCOM2 in 2020 (!) after trying, failing, deleting and reinstalling for many years.
I love Total War Warhammer 2, but I never manage to master it. It’s just too complex for me. I watch Vulcan Total War on YouTube to get my fix, he knows what’s up.

Not heard of that Youtuber but will have a listen. Don't really do that scene too much but Janet on Occasion and Turin are really generous with their time away from the whole 'content creation' and are easy to listen to in the background. I just potter about on normal battle difficulty and whatever AI buffs I'm in the mood for - sort of game I find the spectacle as enthralling as the actual gameplay. Give me Wood Elfs and an ambush battle and I'm happy. ;) CA have done a great job on it, as is obvious from Games Workshop basically letting them define whole reworks of their IP even before GW have put them out.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1247 on: February 7, 2021, 09:42:20 am »
I finished the story of God of War last night, still a few bits to do but am not sure I’ll do it all - especially the Valkyries!

I started it a couple of years ago and made it to the Lake of Nines and then got distracted and never went back. In hindsight that was a daft thing to do as it really is a brilliant game, one of the best I’ve played. With the PS5 update it looks and plays beautifully. Just a brilliant example of great story telling, world building and high quality execution across the board.

Ragnarok has gone right up my list of future games of interest!

Uncharted Lost Legacy next, then RDR2! Am finally working through my backlog of games.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1248 on: February 7, 2021, 01:56:19 pm »
Back to the Division 2 after it received its 4k/60fps next gen console patch, Donut County which I just downloaded and tried from Game Pass, not really expecting much, but it's ridiculously addictive, and a lot of fun, awaiting the new season of Destiny 2 as well.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1249 on: February 7, 2021, 03:52:35 pm »
Played Return of the Obra Dinn last few days. It’s a challenging game, that does take a bit to click and by design chooses not to teach players how to play - but it is also one of most memorable gaming experiences I’ve had in a while. Lucas Pope is a game design genius, no doubt about it.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1250 on: February 8, 2021, 09:04:24 am »
After not liking it too much initially I'm now totally hooked on RDR2 online.  Started around 5 days ago and already have around 35 hours. Really should get back to the gym, but too busy saving for a bounty hunter license.

Offline has gone odd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1251 on: February 9, 2021, 09:13:32 am »
I've actually got Phoenix Point, got it early in development. Waiting on the next DLC to drop to have another try of it. It's not bad, is it? Quite like the slight difference in take to it but it is very old school in a lot of ways, if not quite as much as Xenonauts is.

X-COM is probably still my preferred game, though Phoenix Point has enough difference to make it a new experience. In particular the real time attack where you can aim your gun at the enemy weak points is nifty, doesn't add a great deal but its nice. Like X-COM, the more you play the better it gets, though only racked about 7 hours so far, as only got it at xmas. Since then Destiny 2 has burned a lot of spare time.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1252 on: February 9, 2021, 11:55:33 am »
X-COM is probably still my preferred game, though Phoenix Point has enough difference to make it a new experience. In particular the real time attack where you can aim your gun at the enemy weak points is nifty, doesn't add a great deal but its nice. Like X-COM, the more you play the better it gets, though only racked about 7 hours so far, as only got it at xmas. Since then Destiny 2 has burned a lot of spare time.

I enjoyed a couple of runs through it, doing the ally thing with a couple of different factions. Thing I found to it was it runs into a fair bit of micromanagement hell once you get to more than a couple of bases with shuttles flying out of them. It's not alone in having that problem but it's noticeable how well paced XCom:WotC is by comparison, never mind the initial XCom2. But different strokes for different folks on whether making each bit of ammo and every grenade is fun or not I guess. Did you try the XCom spin-off 'Chimera Squad'? Thought that was a fun, if short, take on some new mechanics in the game, and in leaning heavily on a narrative, while being pretty linear and basic in other areas.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline has gone odd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1253 on: February 11, 2021, 10:15:34 am »
The base building in XCOM is prefect, doesnt really interfere with the core game, once the mechanics of it are nailed.

I did see the spin off release a few months back, it was cheap but didnt bite due to backlog of games. However, due to this conversation and its now 50% less on steam at the moment, probably time to take a look. The fact that its short probably suits me at the moment, the original game took weeks to complete!

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #1254 on: February 11, 2021, 10:22:42 am »
The base building in XCOM is prefect, doesnt really interfere with the core game, once the mechanics of it are nailed.

I did see the spin off release a few months back, it was cheap but didnt bite due to backlog of games. However, due to this conversation and its now 50% less on steam at the moment, probably time to take a look. The fact that its short probably suits me at the moment, the original game took weeks to complete!
Chimera Squad is really fun! A lot more personality to the squadmates and I did laugh out loud a couple of times playing it. It plays more like a mobile console game, like Switch or Vita in that the maps are smaller, fewer enemies etc. You can progress a lot quicker through the plot.

Definitely them experimenting with some new narrative techniques for Xcom 3 whenever we are gonna get that.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1255 on: February 20, 2021, 01:19:18 pm »
FF12: Zodiac Age has come to Gamepass and I'm 7 hours into it. Don't enjoy the battle system as much as the ATB I'm used to, but so far its a good game. Bit more gritty and less magic and monsters focussed than the others I've played.

As someone who never had a Playstation, I'm so pleased they're all being ported to Xbox. I played 13 on Xbox 360 and 15 on the Xbox One. I've played 7, 8 and 9 now, which I missed out on in my youth. X and X2 are still £40.00 on Xbox and I bought them on sale years ago on my PC but I'm waiting to play them on the big telly :)
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1256 on: February 24, 2021, 02:12:57 pm »
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. Just barely getting started but liking what I’ve seen so far. It’s much more fluid than XCOM. There’s humor as well: I found an old cassette player and the mutants were convinced it was a bomb because it was called a “boom box” by humans.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1257 on: February 24, 2021, 07:58:56 pm »
Ghost of Tsushima. Probably the best game I've ever played.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1258 on: February 26, 2021, 06:17:47 pm »
Haven't really played many (any) AAA offerings this year, but 'Hades' has to be a strong contender for GOTY - no matter what the competition. This game is crisp as a fresh winter morning, sharp as a scalpel and full of content like Trump's Twitter feed is full of bullshit. It's a remarkable case study for early access done right. Graphics are delightful, animations and characters full of individuality and expression but the sounds and music - oh my, I'd pay for the soundtrack alone - having a game to go with it is just icing on the cake. These guys and girls from Supergiant Games have been dancing on the verge of perfection for a while - but they've nailed it here. Check this game, if you're even marginally interested in RPG/roguelikes this is the game to buy. 

I don't usually play many games but got this a few weeks ago and you're right, it's brilliant. You're right about the design and sound (and the voicework too), it's great. I'm rubbish at it (only just got to Elysium) but it's not frustrating to keep dying at all given the characters design.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1259 on: February 27, 2021, 05:54:55 am »
Playing SimCity 3000 again after like 20 years. Forgot how much I used to like it
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1260 on: February 27, 2021, 09:11:43 am »
Ghost of Tsushima. Probably the best game I've ever played.

It's a wee bit late IMO and doesn't challenge much of the genre - it could easily be an Assassins Creed - but GoT is a superb game,a really involving, gorgeous time, and most of the systems mesh together finely.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1261 on: February 27, 2021, 11:26:25 am »
Hadn't played Modern Warfare before so got it off a mate to borrow. 13 hours install time! Fucking hell. Never taken a game out of the console so quickly. Miss the days you could just stick a disc in and start playing.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1262 on: February 27, 2021, 12:54:54 pm »
Hadn't played Modern Warfare before so got it off a mate to borrow. 13 hours install time! Fucking hell. Never taken a game out of the console so quickly. Miss the days you could just stick a disc in and start playing.
Haha. You can add a “day 1 patch” to that list, seems to be the norm now. I had a lot of fun with MW 2019 but it took up way too much space on my ps4 hard drive. You should give it a go! It’s relatively easy to get into.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1263 on: February 27, 2021, 02:23:40 pm »
Flight Sim has Anfield now! So installing that... Which is an all day job, sigh

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1264 on: February 28, 2021, 07:51:11 pm »
Flight Sim has Anfield now! So installing that... Which is an all day job, sigh
I was playing it religiously a month ago but really gone off it due to the lack of traffic at airports. Flew into Heathrow and there were only about 10 generic aircraft.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1265 on: February 28, 2021, 08:11:51 pm »

Haha yes, I just bought it today on CDkeys. Around midday.

Downloaded in an hour or two. Or so I thought. Went to turn it on and there are 12 data packs I need to download.

Eesh
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Demo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1266 on: March 1, 2021, 10:40:21 am »
I'm currently replaying Uncharted Lost Legacy on PS4 Pro and i'm enjoying it more now than when i first got it!!

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1267 on: March 1, 2021, 11:50:47 am »
I'm currently replaying Uncharted Lost Legacy on PS4 Pro and i'm enjoying it more now than when i first got it!!

I finished it over the week. Really enjoyed it, a nice combination of more linear sections and a bit of exploration. The final few stages have some great set pieces too.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1268 on: March 2, 2021, 01:44:18 pm »
It's a wee bit late IMO and doesn't challenge much of the genre - it could easily be an Assassins Creed - but GoT is a superb game,a really involving, gorgeous time, and most of the systems mesh together finely.

Just started playing it myself. Love it. It’s by no means perfect but I’m having far more fun playing it that any Assassins Creed game, and RDR2 to be honest

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1269 on: March 3, 2021, 05:46:07 pm »
Final fantasy 7 remake on PS+.

Never played these games before, but played a couple of hours today and it's pretty good so far, Cinematic cut scenes are so good as well, remind me of Metal Gear.

Just need to get used to fighting stuff, seems i'm winging it at the moment pressing random buttons. :D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Goodnight sweet girl gonna miss you
« Reply #1270 on: March 3, 2021, 09:30:27 pm »
I'm currently loving Eagle dynamics DCS. I've joined a squadron of Harrier pilots and learning the ropes but fook me It's hard going but rewarding.
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1271 on: March 7, 2021, 01:18:39 pm »
Started Ring Fit Adventure this morning which is great and playing Spider-Man: Miles Morales which is also great.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1272 on: March 8, 2021, 04:57:54 pm »
Finally got around to playing Grounded which is on Game Pass and which I have had downloaded ages ago, but never really managed to start a playthrough. I still can't fight anything really, but it's quite enjoyable. Have built three small bases so far and am now kind of preparing to connect them all with zip lines so I can get around a bit quicker without having to constantly be afraid of encountering spiders or other insects that will basically insta-kill me... ;) The game is still in "Early Access" so they're adding stuff, but you can already do quite a lot. Needs quite a bit of polishing though...

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1273 on: March 9, 2021, 08:46:00 am »
Using Climb 2 to overcome fear of heights (Me smart), Valhalla and Trover saves the Universe

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1274 on: March 14, 2021, 11:15:19 am »
Tried Valheim, which for an early access indie game is fantastic in fairness, but just way too grindy as a single player. Definitely one for pre-arranged groups of 3 or 4 players.

So moved over to Mount and Blade Bannerlord to see where that is at a year into early access. It's alright - the controls with moving the mouse to control arc of weapon are a bit cumbersome initially and there's clearly years and years of development ahead but there is something to it.

Other game I've been dipping into has been Shadow Empire. It's a 4x-ish type game which has been developed by a single bloke from his old school wargames. Kind of reminds me of an early one planet version of Emperor of the Fading Suns by way of Aurora 4X. It's rough around the edges, and a fair number of systems where you'd love to see the AAA polish put on them, but it does have a charm to it.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1275 on: March 14, 2021, 11:51:42 am »
MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1276 on: March 14, 2021, 12:38:33 pm »
MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/b2Ls6CD3s4w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/b2Ls6CD3s4w</a>

I'd play a game about Hank Williams.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1277 on: March 14, 2021, 12:54:31 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/b2Ls6CD3s4w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/b2Ls6CD3s4w</a>

I'd play a game about Hank Williams.

Well you do love your anime dating simulators!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1278 on: March 19, 2021, 11:05:09 pm »
Put about 25hrs into Skyrim before I realised that the main story hadn't updated to allow me to kill the 1st dragon,rage uninstalled it.

Rookie mistake I know.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1279 on: March 20, 2021, 09:55:00 am »
Need some variation after three months of AC Valhalla so went for some old school Empire Total War playing as the United Provinces. Have established a foothold in India and the plan is to conquer the entire sub continent before I steamroll Europe.
Have Total War Warhammer 2 installed as well but it is a bit too complicated for my slightly simple mind.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:56:55 am by dalarr »