Author Topic: The Last of Us.... Part II  (Read 23514 times)

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Last of Us.... Part II
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2020, 04:20:39 pm »
What I’m failing to understand is the game is apparently 25-30 hours long yet the user review was 35% when it only came out yesterday. How have these nerds completed it already?
Most of them won't have touched it
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2020, 05:01:31 pm »
The first one was about finding the small joys in a horrible world and fighting for it, sometimes against better judgement. It was suffering but there was something close to hope with it. A lot of people complaints on this is that it is all suffering all the time, aimed to make you feel bad and bad about yourself.

On the gameplay, that's fair enough from your standpoint, but there are people who disagree.

And fair point on the crunch, but again  I know there are people who just dont like that aspect.

Maybe it didn't have an effect on the review bomb, but it is fair to say there is some criticism of the game which is not just "stick it to the SJW's".

Basically this game improves on all aspects of gameplay, it doesn't revolutionise it but there is a lot more to it than the first and the first game didn't get review bombed for the way it played. Sure some liked it, some didn't but nobody got hung up on it.

As for the way the story has changed between the first and second well I'll spoiler tag (I won't spoil the second game)

Spoiler
Didnt you ever think it was strange how Joel survived 20 years. I mean he didn't fluke that, he did some horrible fucked up shit most likely. The game just never explored it. Then at the end he shoots Marlene, he shoots doctors, and then lies to Ellie about it. Because (and these are his words in the first) you keep finding something to live for. And Joel found Ellie.

Ellie almost gets raped at one point so there are a lot of dark things happening throughout.

There are small joys in this game, I won't say what but living in the world they do, they could be considered joys. The game or games in this case show you just how fucked up human beings are, or would be. Just like the walking dead, the infected are just a distraction now, it's the humans who each one believe they are fighting for the right cause and the right people and revenge is a part of that.

[close]

If people think the violence is too much or the themes are too dark, they aren't doing anything which thousands of people haven't done before them. Maybe not on a gaming platform but for me that just makes the experience more immersive.

Also nobody had a problem with Trevor from GTA being a torturing, murdering rapist. The guys at Rockstar, they actually went out of there way to make it comical.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 05:23:21 pm by naYoRHa2b »

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2020, 06:28:02 pm »
I'm just started and I've found it really engrossing. Quite a lot of surprises already (I'm less than 2 hours in) and the character development is fantastic, it's just like the first game but more engrossing.

The post above hits the nail on the end for me, people complaining about the violence.. same people who find it runny to go shooting down randoms and killing hookers on GTA but as soon as it's a bit more human it's all "no way this should be happenin!!". I've avoided all the spoilers and I understand there is a narrative descision taken somewhere which has irked people, the Directors have spoken that this will be controversial. But numerous reviewers have said it pays off.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2020, 07:29:33 pm »
This isn't why it's being review bombed.

It's pathetic that it's happening but there are specifics as to why, and it's not Ellie being a lesbian.

Sure it isn't,it's not those beta pricks don't have form when it comes to this.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2020, 08:51:54 pm »
Just beat it as I wanted to trade it in as soon as possible, not much replay value in these games plus there will be a super-duper PS5 DLC version. The 1st one is the better game for me some of the writing in this is Game of thrones level bad just seems horribly forced with a lot of forgettable characters making nonsensical decisions. The 2nd half of the game really dragged, to be honest, graphically the game is stunning though. I think some middle ground is needed, is the game a zero like the saddos voted no but is it a masterpiece like all the critics have said? Not for me. I would give it a 7.5 personally, another fantastic effort from Naughty Dog but does not reinvent the wheel by any means and the writing is way too questionable for a game that relies heavily on it's story.

This is only my personal opinion please don't attack me. I feel like if anything negative is said about this game people flip out because it got 10's you have to love it 100% just as bad as the ones who have given it 0 without playing it  ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 11:30:39 pm by Dynasty »

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2020, 09:40:05 pm »
It's not the first time I've seen the GoT comparison (later season comparison unfortunately)
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2020, 09:43:05 pm »
Just beat it as I wanted to trade it in as soon as possible, not much replay value in these games plus there will be a super-duper PS5 DLC version. The 1st one is the better game for me some of the writing in this is Game of thrones level bad just seems horribly forced with a lot of forgettable characters making nonsensical decisions. The 2nd half of the game really dragged, to be honest, graphically the game is stunning though. I think some middle ground is needed, is the game a zero like the saddos voted no but is it a masterpiece like all the critics have said? Not for me. I would give it a 7.5 personally, another fantastic effort from Naughty Dog but does not reinvent the wheel by any means and the writing is way too questionable for a game that relies heavily on Its story.

This is only my personal opinion please don't attack me. I feel like if anything negative is said about this game people flip out because it got 10's you have to love it 100% just as bad as the ones who have given it 0 without playing it  ;D

I’ll be waiting for it to drop in price a bit, I loved the first one but some of my mates who’ve got it already are grumbling about it (and not for incel neckbeard reasons).

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2020, 11:40:08 am »
Started it this morning, graphics are stunning aren’t they?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2020, 02:44:33 pm »
Just got it, first game I've bought on launch week since Black Ops 2.

They made a storyline decision people didn't like, it's pathetic.
Twats
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2020, 02:49:54 pm »
I started it this morning, so far I’m loving it. It’s not miles away from the first which is one of my favourite games.  Going to work through my inevitable hangover with it tomorrow.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2020, 06:54:35 pm »
Playing it in spurts over share play. Watching for an our or so, then playing an hour. Yeah, I'm losing some of the graphical impact doing that, but from what I can see, it looks really good. Not mind-blowing, but about par for an end of generation title. It doesn't look as good as that initial reveal. So far I'm enjoying it, and it's too early to form a decent opinion on it, but one thing that struck me as a bit daft was (If you've gotten past the first couple of hours, it's safe to read this):
Spoiler
Joel and his brother naively agreeing to go to the girl they rescued hideout and meeting up with her gang, who they know fuck all about, and just assumed they were friendly? Doesn't wash or add up for me. Completely out of character and goes against the logic of the game world that was built up in the first game. Even The Walking Dead, as shit as that can be, wouldn't have characters doing this. Also, letting the player take control over the girl at the start was somewhat a bit of a pointless exercise that went nowhere interesting only to serve for the meeting point with Joel and his brother. Would have been a better decision to let you take control of Joel for one last time to make the impact of his demise even more dramatic for the player.
[close]

Offline WAQS

• LYRIQAL
  • Anny Roader
The Last of Us.... Part II
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2020, 07:27:01 pm »
Been playing this every night with lights off in 4K and using the wireless PS4 7.1 headphones. Put around 20 hours into it so far. Definitely one of the best ever.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2020, 07:49:44 pm »
Playing it in spurts over share play. Watching for an our or so, then playing an hour. Yeah, I'm losing some of the graphical impact doing that, but from what I can see, it looks really good. Not mind-blowing, but about par for an end of generation title. It doesn't look as good as that initial reveal. So far I'm enjoying it, and it's too early to form a decent opinion on it, but one thing that struck me as a bit daft was (If you've gotten past the first couple of hours, it's safe to read this):
Spoiler
Joel and his brother naively agreeing to go to the girl they rescued hideout and meeting up with her gang, who they know fuck all about, and just assumed they were friendly? Doesn't wash or add up for me. Completely out of character and goes against the logic of the game world that was built up in the first game. Even The Walking Dead, as shit as that can be, wouldn't have characters doing this. Also, letting the player take control over the girl at the start was somewhat a bit of a pointless exercise that went nowhere interesting only to serve for the meeting point with Joel and his brother. Would have been a better decision to let you take control of Joel for one last time to make the impact of his demise even more dramatic for the player.
[close]

Spoiler
They had just saved her life and were surrounded by infected, I think it makes sense as a calculated risk to join up with their group, just one that obviously doesn't pay off!
[close]

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2020, 11:32:47 am »
I'm loving this. I love how its semi-open world compared to the first one and loving exploring certain buildings.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2020, 12:15:45 pm »
I'm loving this. I love how its semi-open world compared to the first one and loving exploring certain buildings.

Same here - I think it's fantastic. As a general rule, I don't do horror films or games because I'm too much of a wimp, but I made an exception for the first game because everyone raved so much about it and so had to get this.

It's been scaring the fucking life out of me.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2020, 01:16:09 pm »
For anyone who has finished day one of Seattle, some thoughts...

Spoiler
I like how the humans take much more of a lead this time round, as opposed to the infected. AI is much better and i like how you can use the infected against them and vice versa. I really enjoy exploring the different areas and the small conversations optional areas lead to. There is always something new to discover about there past or personalities.

The museum bit at the end...i don't think i've ever smiled so much in any portion of a game, it was wonderfully done

Visually it's definitely up there with anything, the smaller areas where you are confined to the woods, the lighting is amazing, as is the foliage.
[close]

I'm just about to start day 2. I need to take my time though because number one i don't want it to be over quickly and 2 I like to digest everything which has happened and think about it before diving back in.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
  I know what you mean but they kind of had no option, also Joel has changed as an individual, he's more trusting since meeting ellie and living in a proper community for the past 4 years. They were surrounded by infected and they needed shelter.
[close]

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2020, 02:02:31 pm »
God regarding the ending I forget to add..

Spoiler
Ellie kills 100's of people during the campaign, oh but I'm suddenly going to show Abby mercy and let her off? despite her being the one who actually killed Joel...  How does this even make sense because plot armour  ::).....honestly I expect better than some crappy C grade movie writing from the Last of Us
[close]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 05:13:45 pm by Dynasty »

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2020, 03:48:37 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-Wt4Q6AnhLk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-Wt4Q6AnhLk</a>

Jim more or less reiterating what I've been saying about these games - and others (mostly Naughty Dog games) - for ages. Well, maybe not the games themselves as such, but the gaming media.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2020, 06:08:26 pm »
Spoiler
Don't forget to explore the music shop when you first get to Seattle.
[close]

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2020, 07:17:13 pm »
For anyone who has finished day one of Seattle, some thoughts...

Spoiler
I like how the humans take much more of a lead this time round, as opposed to the infected. AI is much better and i like how you can use the infected against them and vice versa. I really enjoy exploring the different areas and the small conversations optional areas lead to. There is always something new to discover about there past or personalities.

The museum bit at the end...i don't think i've ever smiled so much in any portion of a game, it was wonderfully done

Visually it's definitely up there with anything, the smaller areas where you are confined to the woods, the lighting is amazing, as is the foliage.
[close]

I'm just about to start day 2. I need to take my time though because number one i don't want it to be over quickly and 2 I like to digest everything which has happened and think about it before diving back in.

Spoiler
  I know what you mean but they kind of had no option, also Joel has changed as an individual, he's more trusting since meeting ellie and living in a proper community for the past 4 years. They were surrounded by infected and they needed shelter.
[close]

Having just started day 2 in Seattle myself I agree with everything you’ve said here. Fantastic stuff.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2020, 07:47:03 am »
The vegetation looks incredible, Naughty Dog games are going to look absolutely ridiculous on the PS5 isn't it?

Game is fantastic so far but the pacing feels a tad slow, hopefully, it picks up a bit now that I'm a half a dozen hours or so in.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2020, 08:38:01 am »
Same here - I think it's fantastic. As a general rule, I don't do horror films or games because I'm too much of a wimp, but I made an exception for the first game because everyone raved so much about it and so had to get this.

It's been scaring the fucking life out of me.
yeah, me too. I actually have to take breaks because it’s so intense at times.

So far, it’s like I suspected. Far from being The Best Game Ever, but very very very good. I suspect the people complaining prefer the yearly copy/paste installments over quality games like these.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2020, 10:43:08 am »
Having made it quite far I can safely say that the people blaming the review bombing on the lack of gameplay and excessive cutscenes are talking out of their arses. There is an absolute ton of gameplay between cutscenes, it's actually a pretty relentless amount where the journey between areas can be a brutal drain on your resources, particularly later on when it's tougher to do everything with stealth. It's a lot of fun.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2020, 01:02:49 pm »
Having made it quite far I can safely say that the people blaming the review bombing on the lack of gameplay and excessive cutscenes are talking out of their arses. There is an absolute ton of gameplay between cutscenes, it's actually a pretty relentless amount where the journey between areas can be a brutal drain on your resources, particularly later on when it's tougher to do everything with stealth. It's a lot of fun.
What difficulty have you got it on? I'm on moderate, but I'm finding I have a lot of resources most of the time. That said, I do explore the shit out of every area before I move on.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: June 23, 2020, 01:08:03 pm »
What difficulty have you got it on? I'm on moderate, but I'm finding I have a lot of resources most of the time. That said, I do explore the shit out of every area before I move on.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Just normal, I was full up on pretty much everything for the first chunk of the game but it throws a lot more at you later on. I've probably been a bit more slack on resource management late on too, knowing that I had to pass up on so much in the early game because I was trying to not fire a single bullet for large parts of it.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: June 23, 2020, 03:31:26 pm »
I’ve just completed it and wow is all I can say. Absolutely superb game!

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: June 23, 2020, 09:33:48 pm »
Gameplay wise I’ve got this ahead of the first one. I’ve just played a section which blew my mind in how intense it was throughout. Unbelievable.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2020, 06:14:38 am »
The Birthday Gift section... wow.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: June 25, 2020, 06:52:29 pm »
Superb game this, people get so dead set against anything successful
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: June 25, 2020, 07:36:54 pm »
Just finished It. I hardly have no words.

I loved the first. This is ten times that game. What a rollercoaster

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2020, 08:38:01 pm »
So far from what I've played, I think I agree with the assessment that the gameplay in this is a lot more refined than the first one. Those stalker, sneaky, zombie things are a bunch of sneaky bastards. Great fun in those sections of the game.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2020, 08:47:18 pm »
So far from what I've played, I think I agree with the assessment that the gameplay in this is a lot more refined than the first one. Those stalker, sneaky, zombie things are a bunch of sneaky bastards. Great fun in those sections of the game.

Where abouts are you?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2020, 06:36:54 pm »
Where abouts are you?
Spoiler
At the pier/aquarium. Killed a dog. Killed the pregnant woman.

Here's the thing about that: if those moments were supposed to be profound or impactful, they weren't. Reason being is that I've already killed a bunch of dogs for being annoying c*nts, and slaughtered half the population of a small country by now in pretty brutal ways. Killing a pregnant woman? Who gives a fuck at this point. Basically, that's the TLoU 2's main problem as far as narrative is concerned so far. I already stated that it was a misstep early on as far as the narrative in the game was concerned when it let you take control of Abby. That more or less betrayed some of the supposed big twists and themes the game was aiming for. It failed miserably at that, if the aim was to make me feel guilty in that I was killing the wrong people and Ellie was as bad as anyone else I'd been slaughtering? Yeah, guess what: when you're having fun blowing heads off of people, and blowing them into tiny little giblets with home made bombs, emotional impact is something that goes out the window. Game directors like Druckman need to pull their ego's out of their anus's and realise they are making a game, not a profound written novel or an art movie. It's a game. First and foremost, games are supposed to be fun. There's just some things that aren't achievable in a narrative sense in games that would otherwise be possible in books and film. Stop it, Naughty Dog!
[close]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 06:38:25 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2020, 09:05:28 pm »
Spoiler

Here's the thing about that: if those moments were supposed to be profound or impactful, they weren't. Reason being is that I've already killed a bunch of dogs for being annoying c*nts, and slaughtered half the population of a small country by now in pretty brutal ways. Killing a pregnant woman? Who gives a fuck at this point. Basically, that's the TLoU 2's main problem as far as narrative is concerned so far. I already stated that it was a misstep early on as far as the narrative in the game was concerned when it let you take control of Abby. That more or less betrayed some of the supposed big twists and themes the game was aiming for. It failed miserably at that, if the aim was to make me feel guilty in that I was killing the wrong people and Ellie was as bad as anyone else I'd been slaughtering? Yeah, guess what: when you're having fun blowing heads off of people, and blowing them into tiny little giblets with home made bombs, emotional impact is something that goes out the window. Game directors like Druckman need to pull their ego's out of their anus's and realise they are making a game, not a profound written novel or an art movie. It's a game. First and foremost, games are supposed to be fun. There's just some things that aren't achievable in a narrative sense in games that would otherwise be possible in books and film. Stop it, Naughty Dog!
[close]

That's the video game equivalent of Schindler's List you're talking about there pal!
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2020, 09:59:03 pm »
Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler
Have to agree. I can't believe the people who called the story a masterpiece, it's essentially torture porn like a Saw or Hostel movie  ??? 
[close]

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2020, 10:55:04 pm »
Spoiler
Have to agree. I can't believe the people who called the story a masterpiece, it's essentially torture porn like a Saw or Hostel movie  ??? 
[close]
It suffers from the same shite the recent Tomb Raider reboots did, in that the devs tried to make the central character and her story more grandiose and pretentious than what was possible in the medium of a computer game. The thing is, it's OK trying to convey how vulnerable a teenage girl is, and how she goes through this transition into becoming a fearless tomb raiding veteran along the way by surviving harsh environments and adversity through savage animals and human beings alike. But when you suddenly allow the player to instantly be a one man killing machine, it sort of negates everything you've previously tried to achieve and your narrative goes clean out the window. It instantly renders the story an absolute load of bollocks. The game it's trying to be then takes over, and thankfully for TLoU 2's sake, it's solid in the gameplay department, and once again the environmental artists ND have did an amazing job and built an impressive atmospheric and believable world. The first game struck the right balance. It was a simple enough story that never got in the way, and it felt like you were on a journey with two characters, and any story telling became about them and their progressing relationship as the seasons moved on. TLoU 2 has none of that to keep the player invested or interested enough to give a shit.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2020, 09:35:22 am »
You only choose to be a killing machine. The majority of encounters can be avoided.
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
calling the game torture porn is just ridiculous and overshadows your post higher up
[close]

Out of curiosity Dynasty what do you consider a masterpiece in story telling in videos games?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:07:41 am by naYoRHa2b »

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2020, 11:11:46 am »
You only choose to be a killing machine. The majority of encounters can be avoided.
Spoiler
calling the game torture porn is just ridiculous and overshadows your post higher up
[close]

Out of curiosity Dynasty what do you consider a masterpiece in story telling in videos games?

Considering Dynasty completed it in a day he must have really hated it  ;D

I’ve played it every night since release and I still haven’t completed it. I’m far into it but still not close to finishing it.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 28, 2020, 11:21:52 am »
Considering Dynasty completed it in a day he must have really hated it  ;D

I’ve played it every night since release and I still haven’t completed it. I’m far into it but still not close to finishing it.

I mean, it's a 20-30 odd hour game so it's an impressive feat.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #199 on: June 28, 2020, 11:51:00 am »
Spoiler
[close]

Think you said the same about the first game a few pages back and that just isn't true, the closest seems to be an 11 kill run using glitches. The story in the second game is literally about killing too much, there's no divirgent story path where you choose not to be a killing machine.