Author Topic: The Expanse - James S A Corey  (Read 30793 times)

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Expanse - James S A Corey
« Reply #80 on: June 1, 2018, 08:58:31 am »
Another brilliant episode.  Thank fuck this program got saved because it's easily one of the best sci-fi's ever made and if it keeps the current quality - and given that the source material is already in place why shouldn't it? -  could go down as the best.  Some real Game of Thrones level gore in the past two episodes now, but not to the point where it feels voyeuristic or is overwhelming the other aspects of the story.  Fucking love this show!

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: June 1, 2018, 12:52:13 pm »
This show every episode this season hits one out of the park.

Brilliant Sci-Fi.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: June 1, 2018, 02:23:09 pm »
This show every episode this season hits one out of the park.

Brilliant Sci-Fi.

Any one of the last three episodes could've been the finale and I wouldn't be disappointed, the only flaw so far for me is the dull documentary crew stuff.

Theories on what happens next?

Spoiler
I assumed the proto-molecule would lead to an alien invasion but it's looking like it could go into more of a Lost in Space kind of thing now.
[close]

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 2, 2018, 07:20:38 pm »
Yep. It's got it.

Every episode something drastic or dramatic happens and the plot shoots forward and leaves you eagre for more.

I agree that the documentary stuff on the Roci is a little bit silly at times, but its still fun. It'll be interesting to see where that one ends up going, as
Spoiler
those two are effectively spies, with at least one of them deliberately sent by an unknown party to sabotage and frame the crew for some reason They're stuck in the shit now, though. Bet they weren't expecting to be going where Holden has taken them, or if the creepy, shifty blind bloke even intended on surviving.
[close]

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: June 8, 2018, 07:12:12 pm »
Yet another episode that could've easily been the finale.

I am past explaining to people how great a show this is,now I just tell them that they have to watch it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 8, 2018, 09:55:12 pm »
What an amazing show. It’s fantastic news that Amazon have picked it up for series 4 (mainly because it means I don’t have to watch a dodgy stream). Every episode this series is a lesson in sci-fi storytelling and production.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 8, 2018, 09:56:37 pm »
Just finishing Season one after reading praises on this thread.
Great show, left me baffled that stuff like this is actually made these days.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 9, 2018, 01:34:35 am »
Just finishing Season one after reading praises on this thread.
Great show, left me baffled that stuff like this is actually made these days.

Made by Alcon Entertainment, the same company that financed Blade Runner 2049. Someone in that company is a fan of intelligent, niche science fiction, that's for sure.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 9, 2018, 01:52:04 am »
Made by Alcon Entertainment, the same company that financed Blade Runner 2049. Someone in that company is a fan of intelligent, niche science fiction, that's for sure.

There’s some really strong characters. I think the documentary storyline is okay because it is being used, for example, to delve into Amos’ personality/background.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 9, 2018, 02:32:04 am »
There’s some really strong characters. I think the documentary storyline is okay because it is being used, for example, to delve into Amos’ personality/background.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2018, 09:49:18 am »
That ep was some of the best TV I've seen in a while.  I'm desperately hoping this show doesn't die, this has filled an appetite the likes of Firefly left and hasn't been filled since.

Absolutely this.
Loved Firefly and was pissed when that was cancelled...

i'm late on the scene with this show but love it. Just read through the last 3 pages of this thread and agree with most, this show is on point.

Almost at the end of season 3 now but hope there's not too long a wait until season 4.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2018, 04:55:58 pm »
The last few episodes have been so good I assumed that episode 10 was the finale, was pretty happy when the next one dropped and I realised there's actually 13.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2018, 05:21:26 pm »
The last few episodes have been so good I assumed that episode 10 was the finale, was pretty happy when the next one dropped and I realised there's actually 13.

I wasn't paying attention to how many episodes had aired or how many were left,so for me when I finished watching Ep7 I just assumed it was the finale,from Ep7 to now each episode could've been the finale.

It always leaves you wanting more but you never feel shortchanged or that the writers are being lazy with the story telling.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2018, 06:14:32 pm »
The last episode put the 'science' in science fiction.

Few details I caught involved what things would actually look and behave like in zero gravity and the complications that would result.

Spoiler
Fire in zero gravity is often misrepresented in visual. It would most likely be blue, or a very faint yellow. It would also fan out in a sphere from the point of origin, as it was shown exactly in this when an electrical fire started in Naome's ship. No gravity means that it will just expand outwards instead of upwards, setting everything on fire inside whatever atmosphere its contained in. Other stuff like rapid deceleration causing anyone on the ships that weren't strapped in to either be seriously injured internally, or die. The injured couldn't heal because no gravity meant that blood could not pool and drain from an injury. The tears in the eyes of one character pooling directly underneath and inside the eye and not streaming downwards.
[close]

It's little details like those that most shows would miss, or just not bother with, which is just another reason why the Expanse is so good.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2018, 06:23:59 pm »
Will have to rewatch this. Watched about 6 episodes and got totally confused. Everyones raving about it it seems and is right up my street.
Football is a lie

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2018, 04:33:47 am »
If you mean six episodes of season 1, then yeah, you do get a lot of new places and names to digest. Although both the story progress and the action picks up in the second half of season 1, the whole season is about world-building more than anything else in my opinion.  It's well worth the investment though as it's a brilliant series.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2018, 11:48:00 pm »
This show is the bees knees.

Spoiler
Going full Star Trek? Good to see Draper join the crew, hopefully Anna does too as she seems to have a good thing going with Amos, though hopefully she doesn't ruin him like when Morgan ruined Carol in TWD.
[close]

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2018, 07:00:50 pm »
Amazing finale.

A bit hurried in places, but overall it was just an hour and 20 minutes of pure entertainment. It's episodes, and a finale, like that that makes you wonder just what the fuck Syfy were smoking when they decided to cancel this show. Idiots.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2018, 07:07:18 pm »
Yeah I felt that it was a bit rushed,still good though.Not a bad endorsement that after 34 episodes my only (very small) complaint it that the last two would've been better had they been 3.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2018, 08:12:33 pm »
Yeah I felt that it was a bit rushed,still good though.Not a bad endorsement that after 34 episodes my only (very small) complaint it that the last two would've been better had they been 3.
Yep. Just an episode to
Spoiler
build up Ashford's motives for going all Ahab on the crew of the Behemoth, and maybe some more deliberation over the launching of the nuke, despite the obvious dangers it posed and the resulting, predictable outcome.
[close]

Other than that, though, it has to go down as one of the best series of a TV show ever.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2018, 03:41:10 am »
Amazing finale.

A bit hurried in places, but overall it was just an hour and 20 minutes of pure entertainment. It's episodes, and a finale, like that that makes you wonder just what the fuck Syfy were smoking when they decided to cancel this show. Idiots.

This. I agree that the pacing was a little off, but yeah, still epic stuff. As for Syfy cancelling it after having been able to see the brilliance of this season before doing so, well the dollars are clearly their one and only priority because in terms of quality The Expanse is leagues ahead of anything else they have
 Again, thank you Amazon!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:43:22 am by Darren G »

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2018, 04:21:31 am »
Is Amazon definitely taking this on and continuing the series?

Also very good finale. Now we can get to see what else the protomolecule and it's creators have in store :D

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2018, 10:15:37 am »
Wait, is the third series live?!
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2018, 02:00:04 pm »
Is Amazon definitely taking this on and continuing the series?

Also very good finale. Now we can get to see what else the protomolecule and it's creators have in store :D

Yes Bezos announced it himself.

https://www.space.com/40722-jeff-bezos-talks-the-expanse-blue-origin.html

Spoiler
I cannot wait to see the people who managed to wipe out the people who built the gates and had the power to burn whole Solar Systems to ash
[close]

Wait, is the third series live?!

Done and dusted mate.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 1, 2018, 02:07:27 pm »
Well S3 was amazing.

I wonder if Amazon will increase the budget, or did they blow it all on LOTR ;D
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 1, 2018, 08:17:41 pm »
I'm a recent convert to this show, am halfway through series 1. Have no idea where it's going but I do like it.

Does anyone know when series 3 will air in the UK? Netflix only has 2 series.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #106 on: July 2, 2018, 09:46:36 am »
Have finished season 3 now. Blown away by this show...

Very interesting how it could go from here
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: July 2, 2018, 10:38:50 am »
Started watching this after seeing this thread. Just finished season 2 and wow, i've been waiting for something like this since Battlestar finished. It's bloody brilliant.

How the hell could ScFy cancel this? I really hope Amazon see it's potential and really up the budget and advertise the fook out of it. If it wasn't for rawk i'd have never even known about it.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: July 2, 2018, 03:32:33 pm »
I loved the season. In a way, I am happy that the show didn't end with a cliffhanger. It ended with a hint to more interesting adventures.

Hope next season is back in a year. Any news on release date yet?

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 3, 2018, 06:40:28 am »
I'm a recent convert to this show, am halfway through series 1. Have no idea where it's going but I do like it.

Does anyone know when series 3 will air in the UK? Netflix only has 2 series.

I don't think that Netflix is going to be getting S3. I can PM you a torrent link if that would be helpful.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 3, 2018, 04:28:24 pm »
I don't think that Netflix is going to be getting S3. I can PM you a torrent link if that would be helpful.

Many thanks for the reply and the kind offer. Unfortunately i've never used torrents for tv shows, would have no idea how to sort it out, im a bit of a luddite for certain tech things, but cheers anyway. Im sure I'll see it someday.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 3, 2018, 04:43:17 pm »
Many thanks for the reply and the kind offer. Unfortunately i've never used torrents for tv shows, would have no idea how to sort it out, im a bit of a luddite for certain tech things, but cheers anyway. Im sure I'll see it someday.

Says here that it will get to Netflix in October

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-expanse-season-3-netflix-release-schedule/

Online Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: July 4, 2018, 06:57:35 am »
Says here that it will get to Netflix in October

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-expanse-season-3-netflix-release-schedule/

Five lines in:

"Updated: The Expanse won’t be arriving weekly on Netflix like we originally thought. Apologies for the confusion."

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #114 on: July 4, 2018, 03:34:48 pm »
I watched season 1 a while ago and enjoyed it but wasn't blown away by it in all honesty.

Finally got started on Season 2 this weekend and obviously it greatly surpassed my expectations as I have now fully watched Season 2 and 3!

Great to hear that amazon have saved it!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: July 4, 2018, 05:27:21 pm »
Five lines in:

"Updated: The Expanse won’t be arriving weekly on Netflix like we originally thought. Apologies for the confusion."

You should've kept reading  ;D

Many regions get the show exclusively including but not limited to, the United Kingdom, Australia, France, Germany, India, Japan, Spain, Israel and the Netherlands.
Netflix Release Schedule

If you’re in one of the regions above or a region that gets The Expanse on Netflix, you may be waiting for quite some time. On average, the wait for the new seasons of The Expanse to arrive on Netflix is around 6 months. In which case, you’ll likely have to wait until October 2018 until it arrives on Netflix.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #116 on: July 4, 2018, 05:44:30 pm »
Binge watched series 1 and 2 this weekend just gone. Absolutely blown away by how well it's been done. Banks' work getting made will be a welcome antidote to US SF though. The whole 'takers' thing on Earth. Le eyeroll.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #117 on: July 5, 2018, 12:52:42 pm »

How the hell could ScFy cancel this? I really hope Amazon see it's potential and really up the budget and advertise the fook out of it. If it wasn't for rawk i'd have never even known about it.

I'm not sure if that was what they wanted to do, but from what I read this show had such a convoluted distribution rights contract that SyFy were not able to make much money from it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/05/syfy-has-canceled-the-expanse-but-its-producers-want-to-find-it-a-new-home/

This goes into some details about why if you are interested.

I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: July 6, 2018, 04:08:26 am »
You should've kept reading  ;D

Well, that was a wild ride.  ;D

Good news for the UK viewers that aren't torrenting it though. Apologies for the error.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2018, 10:45:48 pm »
Just finished season 3...what a belter of a show. Was struggling through season 1 but once you get into seasons 2 and 3 it all comes together nicely.

Hurry up season 4.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds