Author Topic: The Expanse - James S A Corey  (Read 30804 times)

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Expanse - James S A Corey
« Reply #40 on: May 7, 2018, 07:45:55 pm »
I was holding off on picking up the new season as I couldn't remember half of the story lines anyway, but I decided to watch the first episode this weekend and 4 hours later I'm all caught up and completely sucked in again.

It doesn't seem to get same amount of attention as the big shows but it's one of the best things on TV right now. It's weird to think that the first time I watched the first episode I wasn't all that sold.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: May 7, 2018, 07:48:55 pm »
Best sci-fi show since Battlestar Galactica.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 7, 2018, 07:56:10 pm »

Easily and not even up for debate imo.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 8, 2018, 04:15:08 pm »
It's the best thing on the telly right now, and I include Westworld in this (which I like very much). The show suffers a little bit due to worse execution and lower $$$ compared to HBO shows, but the story is great.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: May 8, 2018, 04:59:20 pm »
I miss Thomas Jane's detective :( I liked the detective part of the show in series 1. I would have watched this show even without that element but it added something to a premise of huge space opera that we rarely see. The works of the little men on the day to day basis, rather than the big save the galaxy kinda stuff you usually get from sci-fi series.

I think we need more of that kind of stuff in outer space TV shows sometimes.

However I still really enjoy The Expanse. It is a very good story wiith actors that play their parts very very well :)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 8, 2018, 06:00:42 pm »
One of the best shows out there, and if it's allowed to keep going, one of the best ever made.

I keep expecting the quality of it to dip, as it usually does with shows of this nature and science fiction, but it doesn't. There's a proper restraint to everything which I love, particularly with the Protomolecule stuff. It's reminiscent of the White Walkers in Game of Thrones, where they revealed them early, then put them back in the box and concentrated on other stuff to build the characters and the overall world and plot up, then brought them back out again to remind you of the main threat.

If this gets cancelled, I'll be fucking raging.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 8, 2018, 08:02:53 pm »
Would love to know where Solomon Epstein ended up.

A short story about the drive

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/drive/prequel.php
« Last Edit: May 8, 2018, 08:19:19 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2018, 12:23:55 am »

If this gets cancelled, I'll be fucking raging.

Well, well. Typical.

Good news is, I've read it's being hawked around to see if any other network wants to pick it up. Netflix to the rescue, then.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2018, 12:40:59 am »
Well, well. Typical.

Good news is, I've read it's being hawked around to see if any other network wants to pick it up. Netflix to the rescue, then.

I hope so mate,been really looking forward to the main story getting started.I am going to give it a year and if it isn't picked up I will start on the books.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2018, 12:44:16 am »
I hope so mate,been really looking forward to the main story getting started.I am going to give it a year and if it isn't picked up I will start on the books.
How's it not the main story? Does the main story only begin when they
Spoiler
go through the wormhole/gate thing the protomolecule creates?
[close]

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2018, 12:53:29 am »
How's it not the main story? Does the main story only begin when they
Spoiler
go through the wormhole/gate thing the protomolecule creates?
[close]

Is what I have read,been careful not to read too much though as I don't want to spoil it.
Spoiler
I think they start spreading out sometime in book 3 and there are 8 books in the main series so far (not sure if there will be more).I know that the detective is/was due back.
[close]

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2018, 04:55:26 am »
:(

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2018, 12:37:32 pm »
Is what I have read,been careful not to read too much though as I don't want to spoil it.
Spoiler
I think they start spreading out sometime in book 3 and there are 8 books in the main series so far (not sure if there will be more).I know that the detective is/was due back.
[close]
Cheers

Spoiler
I read up to and including Book Three. Won't spoil it for you, but will say that yeah, Miller comes back, after a fashion...
[close]

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2018, 05:02:03 pm »
The last episode was just WOW,felt like the finale but it wasn't.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2018, 02:32:50 am »
Amazing episode, and the airlock scenes just exemplifies why this show is so good. Good, well written, likeable characters, each with their own unique individuality. It's immensely satisfying to know the words and actions of a character before they say or do something, but I knew exactly what was happening in that scene, and it was great because of it.

This is the best thing on TV at the moment, and I dare say I enjoyed that episode almost as much as any Game of Thrones episode when its at its best. It might not have the production values of the likes of Westworld, but I'm enjoying this more currently. It just keeps getting better.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2018, 09:27:15 am »
What an absolutely brilliant bit of TV that last episode was.  For the love of God, please pick this up Netflix, Amazon, whoever. 

I completely agree on the points made about the airlock scene, which was also executed to perfection (no pun intended).  I don't know that an objective comparison can be made to say that it's the best thing on tv, at least outside of the realm of personal opinion, but I'm also loving the program more than anything else currently on.  I'm going to be seriously gutted if this doesn't get picked up. 

https://twitter.com/TheExpanseWR/status/996483893732696064

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2018, 10:48:34 am »
Best episode of the season so far, and what an ending!

Spoiler
I get the feeling we're getting close to the Mars vs Earth conflict taking a backseat to something bigger. Also wondering if Julie and Miller might be back in some strange capacity.
[close]

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2018, 02:30:49 pm »
I agree amazing episode.

I read that some fans hired a plane Arsenal style and flew a banner over the Amazon studios with SAVE THE EXPANSE.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline losCHUNK

• Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2018, 03:45:35 pm »
That ep was some of the best TV I've seen in a while.  I'm desperately hoping this show doesn't die, this has filled an appetite the likes of Firefly left and hasn't been filled since.

They need new viewers basically, Alcon the production company are shopping the rights around but they've also locked themselves into deals for future seasons with Amazon and Netflix, with SyFy relying on live viewing in the US only to make their bank (seeing as SyFy hasn't got the stomach to do 1st viewings worldwide, the only way to keep up to date outside the US is pirate ?).  It's their funding they need and that channel hasn't got the legs to support a show like this :/, I don't think they've done any marketing.

If you're new to this thread then please check it out on Netflix (or Prime in the US), if they get enough viewers then it's possible heads may be turned and ofc tell your friends and family if you enjoy the show.  If you're in the US too try to effect the Nielson ratings to get SyFy to reconsider.

I like the fan trailer n all -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNjobkmzaOY

It's a bloody shame this hasn't got the audience it deserves, or maybe I'm just a left over relic from a time when this genre of TV was the norm.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:53:50 pm by losCHUNK »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2018, 06:10:50 pm »
Amazing episode, and the airlock scenes just exemplifies why this show is so good. Good, well written, likeable characters, each with their own unique individuality. It's immensely satisfying to know the words and actions of a character before they say or do something, but I knew exactly what was happening in that scene, and it was great because of it.

This is the best thing on TV at the moment, and I dare say I enjoyed that episode almost as much as any Game of Thrones episode when its at its best. It might not have the production values of the likes of Westworld, but I'm enjoying this more currently. It just keeps getting better.

Spoiler
The way they shot it so that it looked like it was Praxidikes hand trying to steady the gun was perfection
[close]

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2018, 06:14:01 pm »
Spoiler
The way they shot it so that it looked like it was Praxidikes hand trying to steady the gun was perfection
[close]
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. And when he said
Spoiler
"You're not that guy." I said instinctively, "Na, but you are!"
[close]
Brilliant scene.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2018, 06:18:50 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. And when he said
Spoiler
"You're not that guy." I said instinctively, "Na, but you are!"
[close]
Brilliant scene.

Yeah it was so obvious but so satisfying.

Amos is my favourite,loved when he came back to the ship and was gutted that he had missed the action,again obvious but brilliant.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2018, 06:21:22 pm »
Yeah it was so obvious but so satisfying.

Amos is my favourite,loved when he came back to the ship and was gutted that he had missed the action,again obvious but brilliant.
He's like Cobb from Firefly, only a scary version.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2018, 08:15:31 pm »
I've never watched firefly

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2018, 01:48:36 am »
Revived by Amazon.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/expanse-revived-season-4-at-amazon-1113803

Nice news to read before hitting the sack,I would expect Amazon to take it through to conclusion as well.

Well chuffed.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2018, 03:59:57 am »
It's not a done deal. They are just 'in talks' and amazon have declined to comment. Here's hoping though lads.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2018, 04:04:03 pm »
Revived by Amazon.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/expanse-revived-season-4-at-amazon-1113803
Hope this comes off, this show does not deserve to die.

I've never watched firefly
:shocked You'd be a shit nerd.

Only kidding mate, I'm sure you'd be a great nerd. And you really should get on Firefly, it's tremendous. Its cancellation was a travesty. I'm actually jealous of you that you haven't seen it yet - the first time I watched that was one of the most enjoyable televisual experiences of my life, right up there with when I first watched the Wire, possibly.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2018, 04:08:21 pm »
Awesome news if it comes off.

That flying banner above Amazon Studios paid for by fans worked.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2018, 08:24:56 pm »
If you're going to watch Firefly, be sure to watch them in the correct sequence. Fox, as we already know, are complete inept fucktards. They didn't even bother broadcasting it, at the time it aired, in the correct order before canning it.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2018, 03:58:58 am »
If you're going to watch Firefly, be sure to watch them in the correct sequence. Fox, as we already know, are complete inept fucktards. They didn't even bother broadcasting it, at the time it aired, in the correct order before canning it.

Yeah, if memory serves, I think that they aired the double length pilot half way through, right? By which point they had lost half their viewers who didn't know wtf was going on. At that point they decided to cancel it due to poor ratings. Criminal.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2018, 08:11:37 pm »
What a glorious death that was in that episode.

Has to be one of the best in TV history.

;D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2018, 08:53:55 pm »
What a glorious death that was in that episode.

Has to be one of the best in TV history.

;D

Yeah & then zooming in on the gif photo frame with him and his missus pointing & laughing  ;D  nice extra touch.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2018, 12:00:24 pm »
Massive change of focus in that last episode.  I wasn't expecting things to move on that quickly, but the writers handled the transition brilliantly in my opinion as the show lost none of it's momentum.  Having never read the books, I'm really interested to see where this is going and what the ring is (all very Stephen Baxter).  And yeah, that death...

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:06:37 pm by Darren G »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2018, 12:22:53 pm »
Massive change of focus in that last episode.  I wasn't expecting things to move on that quickly, but the writers handled the transition brilliantly in my opinion as the show lost none of it's momentum.  Having never read the books, I'm really interested to see where this is going and what the ring is (all very Stephen Baxter).  And yeah, that death...

Yeah the 6 month jump was perfectly done.Now we get to see the start of the main story for maybe just 6 episodes & then spend months crossing everything in the hope that one of Netflix or Amazon take it over,that will only happen though if one of them allows the production company to break its contract.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2018, 07:03:57 pm »
An episode that showed just how confident it is in its narrative, and just how good it is as a show overall. Fucking excellent. It just keeps managing to push things forward in the most surprising and intriguing way.

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2018, 12:31:57 pm »
Confirmed that Amazon has officially picked up The Expanse.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2018, 12:43:00 pm »
Confirmed that Amazon has officially picked up The Expanse.
Great news.

I read that Jeff Bezos is a huge fan of the books and show and lost his shit when it got cancelled.

I'm guessing that ring thing is a like gel like substance and to pass through it safely is by slowly submerging through it.

The thing is huge whatever it is.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:36:51 pm by RedSince86 »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2018, 08:32:45 pm »
Well this is good news.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2018, 08:38:04 pm »
Fucking A, this is capital news. Jeff Bezos is a c*nt, but he gets grudging respect from me for this and for winding Trump up like he does.