Author Topic: The Expanse - James S A Corey  (Read 30836 times)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Expanse - James S A Corey
« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2019, 04:09:53 pm »
Good points which I completely agree with.  The pacing problems that you mention in particular are definitely an issue, which I think are made worse - or at least more obvious - by the fact that it constantly cuts between multiple, somewhat unconnected stories.   It's also an interesting point that you make about the book.  I know that Cibola Burn is not very well rated by some, but I think that there's also the aspect that some books simply don't translate as well as others to television.  Caliban's War for example was always going to be a better fit due to it's nature.  There's no way that Cibola Burn could really be skipped, but yeah,  this has really felt somewhat like a filler season so far.  Still far better than ninety percent of the crap currently on the tele though.

Yep, it certainly is. Even if it's dipped by it's own standards, there's still plenty to ingest here. The cinematography of the landscapes are amazing to look at. In fact, the way it looks overall is fantastic, and it reminds me a lot of Bladerunner 2049 with it's cold light saturation and framing. No doubt they took some inspiration from that. Then there's the usual realistic sci fi stuff this show does with detail like Naomi's problem, wounds in low gravity, and seismic events on planets. I love all that stuff. But, yeah, the cutting back and forth to the more boring political stuff in each faction is giving it a bit of a disjointed feel. I can see what they are going for by giving logical scenarios to how each of those factions and planets would respond to the ring opening up, but the way it's edited together makes it hard to follow.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2019, 06:44:06 pm »
Yep, it certainly is. Even if it's dipped by it's own standards, there's still plenty to ingest here. The cinematography of the landscapes are amazing to look at. In fact, the way it looks overall is fantastic, and it reminds me a lot of Bladerunner 2049 with it's cold light saturation and framing. No doubt they took some inspiration from that. Then there's the usual realistic sci fi stuff this show does with detail like Naomi's problem, wounds in low gravity, and seismic events on planets. I love all that stuff. But, yeah, the cutting back and forth to the more boring political stuff in each faction is giving it a bit of a disjointed feel. I can see what they are going for by giving logical scenarios to how each of those factions and planets would respond to the ring opening up, but the way it's edited together makes it hard to follow.

Yeah, the cinematography has been amazing this season in particular.  Hadn't really considered the Bladerunner parallels, but that's pretty much on the money.  Like yourself I greatly enjoy the 'hard sci-fi' aspects of this show such as the things that you have mentioned and am also looking forward to finding out...
Spoiler
more about the ancient war that led to the creators of the proto-molecule destroying whole systems.  I really enjoy all of that universal scale, 'big picture' stuff, especially when there is a mystery element to it.  The ancient war aspect of The Expanse does feel very reminiscent of Stephen Baxter's 'Xeelee Sequence' of novels, but that's not a bad thing as they're fantastic books, the scope of which is incredible. 
[close]

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 06:46:09 pm by Darren G »

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2019, 11:17:51 pm »
Finished it. Last couple of episodes were great, and really tied everything off and set up the scenario for the next series. Not as good as series 3, but isn't the disappointment that some people are saying elsewhere. Far from it.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2019, 07:46:01 pm »
Started watching series 1 today so far on episode 10 must admit quite like the look of this.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2019, 05:27:19 pm »
Good show, B+. That timejump in season three really threw me off though and I never felt as invested after that. Still good tv, makes you realise the complete dirth of decent sci-fi out there despite more tv being made than ever.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2020, 11:17:32 am »
So after struggling wmto get into season 1 a couple of years ago i returned to this again last week off sick with man flu. OMG best show ever. Up to start of season 4 now and its just incredible. Not sure if to read this thread at all incase its full of spoilers but just wanted to express my happiness with this show. Amos, what a badass.
Football is a lie

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2020, 09:40:59 am »
So after struggling wmto get into season 1 a couple of years ago i returned to this again last week off sick with man flu. OMG best show ever. Up to start of season 4 now and its just incredible. Not sure if to read this thread at all incase its full of spoilers but just wanted to express my happiness with this show. Amos, what a badass.

Yeah, I was gutted when he died.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2020, 11:17:53 am »

Death by pretzel,there's lazy writing and then there's the shite the Expanse team started to churn out.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2020, 07:14:45 am »

Eh? Wut! Lol
Football is a lie

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2020, 11:54:50 am »
Started watching this a couple of weeks back after finally following up a recommendation from a friend. He was right, this is a really good series. Way better than a lot of other TV that gets hyped.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #170 on: October 8, 2020, 11:22:19 pm »
New season starts December 16th

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/caLji74IIp4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/caLji74IIp4</a>
« Last Edit: October 8, 2020, 11:23:55 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #171 on: October 9, 2020, 12:59:37 pm »
Good news, I was worried this would end up being pushed back more due to COVID

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: October 9, 2020, 02:00:18 pm »
Good to hear, looking forward to it.
I might rewatch all seasons leading up to it.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #173 on: October 9, 2020, 04:55:03 pm »
Finally, some good news! Although that also reminded me how gutted I was...

S4 spoiler

Spoiler
When my favourite character Ashford was killed  :(
[close]
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2020, 10:38:56 am »
Amazon have confirmed this will have the same release schedule as The Boys, first 3 episodes released at launch, the remainder will then be released weekly.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2020, 12:02:17 pm »
Amazon have confirmed this will have the same release schedule as The Boys, first 3 episodes released at launch, the remainder will then be released weekly.

Was reading James Corey's Twitter thread about this the other day. He was basically saying this looks like being the norm now, rather than all released at once. The streaming companies seem to agree that it keeps a show in the public eye for longer.

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: November 25, 2020, 10:46:42 am »
The Expanse has also been renewed for a season 6, but that will unfortunately be the final season

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 25, 2020, 12:49:36 pm »
The Expanse has also been renewed for a season 6, but that will unfortunately be the final season
That's terrible news.

I thought they were following the novels. :butt
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2020, 02:46:40 pm »
Cas Anvar won't be returning due to the allegations against him, so I assume a recast rather than cutting the character out.

That's terrible news.

I thought they were following the novels. :butt

They are, and from what I know
Spoiler
The books are three duologies and then a trilogy. But the trilogy is 30 years later, so maybe ending with book six is a natural end of some sorts
[close]
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2020, 03:40:18 pm »
Cas Anvar won't be returning due to the allegations against him, so I assume a recast rather than cutting the character out.

They are, and from what I know
Spoiler
The books are three duologies and then a trilogy. But the trilogy is 30 years later, so maybe ending with book six is a natural end of some sorts
[close]
Ahh okay, so we will see some closure and not a rushed up clusterfuck that got further than the books like HBO did with GoT.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2020, 07:16:45 pm »
So the authors are saying it’s paused, not cancelled.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/12/10/22167489/the-expanse-season-6-canceled-or-season-7-beyond-plans

So that’s promising. Maybe we’ll get some films based off the last three books.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2020, 08:48:51 am »
T minus one day!

I binged all four series at the beginning of the month, then immediately started reading the books (on the third now, Abbadon's Gate).

Is it just me, or is the show, for once, a considerable improvement on the books?

The novels are comprised of viewpoint chapters (book 1: Holden & Miller / book 2: Holden, Avasarala, Bobbie, Prax) and those are quite limiting (by nature) in respect to the secondary characters. The likes of Amos, Naomi, Mao, Strickland, Cotyar etc. are a lot more fleshed out on the show.

Also, while the general direction of the story is the same, the individual scenes have a lot more intrigue on the show it's crazy! Many of the best and most talked about scenes from the show are nowhere to be found in the novels ("I AM that man" / the mutinity on the Agatha King / Bobbie's beach adventure etc.)

And don't even get me started on everyone's favourite female character, Drummer!  :no

In essence, what I'm trying to say is: While I enjoy the novels (and will definitely finish all nine of them), HATS OFF to the showrunners, who've elevated the material to something truly special.

Bring on series 5!

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2020, 07:02:58 am »
PSA: The first three episodes are out now!

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2020, 11:29:23 pm »
Well, I burned through those pretty quickly! As intense as ever even if it's off to the usual slow start. I seem to feel lost at the start of every new season as there are so many characters and so much going on, but after an episode or so I'm usually back on track.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #184 on: December 18, 2020, 05:53:06 pm »
Does anyone else freak out when your eye starts itching in real life?
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2020, 11:20:31 pm »
I'm going to hold off on and then binge the full season.

I hate this new trend by streaming networks of drip feeding episodes instead of the releasing all the episodes.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2020, 07:26:56 am »
I hate this new trend by streaming networks of drip feeding episodes instead of the releasing all the episodes.

I think most viewers feel this way these days. I'm the opposite, I enjoy the ol' one-episode-per-week format. It leaves you that space to really mull it over and to go online and trade ideas and theories with other viewers.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2020, 08:06:16 am »
Fuck me, that was some episode! (s5.e4)

That was right up there with the best parts of series 3. It felt like I was holding my breath for minutes on end.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 08:34:41 am by emergency exit »

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: December 23, 2020, 10:21:29 pm »
Fuck me, that was some episode! (s5.e4)

That was right up there with the best parts of series 3. It felt like I was holding my breath for minutes on end.

Very much so!

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2020, 12:06:31 am »
I'm going to hold off on and then binge the full season.

I think I'll do the same. I don't understand them releasing a 3rd of the thing, and the rest is drip fed to us. This is the reason why I felt The Boys S2 felt a bit slower or had less impact than the first.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2020, 10:14:34 am »
New episode out...

Spoiler
Amos' finishing move was delicious!

And the escape sequence with the Screaming Firehawk (FKA Razorback) got my juices flowing... loved the attention to detail. You felt pressed into your chair yourself.
[close]

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #191 on: December 30, 2020, 02:21:35 pm »
These two episodes (4 and 5) have been two of the best the show has ever made. The waiting is the hardest part.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2020, 03:32:43 pm »
Fantastic stuff, especially the last two episodes. Best thing on TV at the moment.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 1, 2021, 10:37:48 am »
Season 4 for me was slightly disappointing, but I am up to Episode 4 of the current season (still 1 behind) and it is back to its absolute best.

I am a looong time Trek fan, and I don't want to start mudflinging, but how anyone can watch Discovery or Picard over this is absolutely unbelievable.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 5, 2021, 06:06:42 am »
Season 4 for me was slightly disappointing, but I am up to Episode 4 of the current season (still 1 behind) and it is back to its absolute best.

I am a looong time Trek fan, and I don't want to start mudflinging, but how anyone can watch Discovery or Picard over this is absolutely unbelievable.

I think that season four was always likely to be a bit poorer than most as it's based on what is generally considered the poorest book in the series. Trying to hold off on season five as I'd rather binge watch it. I don't mind Discovery and Picard but agree, The Expanse is simply in a different class in my opinion.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 8, 2021, 05:33:40 pm »
Held off for weeks and gave in and watched 4 episodes last night.

Such a strong start to this season.

Going to be a void when this show wraps up next year.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2021, 08:38:51 am »
Another cracker, goddamn. I was close to tears multiple times.

(Also I just realized that what happens in that final scene was actually foreshadowed in one of the earlier episodes of the current series.)

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2021, 06:20:48 pm »
Season wraps up next week.

Been another fantastic season.

Episode 9 was pretty good, been nice seeing a bit more of a futuristic Earth this season.

Amos has been the best character this season.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2021, 06:43:09 pm »
Loved this season. Once the final episode is out I might start from season one again. So good to have a show like this around, proper grownup sci fi.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 1, 2021, 11:36:06 am »
I agree, it's been a really good season.  I felt that episode 9 was the strongest so far for season five and agree with RedSince86 in that Amos has been the most interesting, layered character.  Such a shame that we'll only get one more season of this, at least for the foreseeable future.