Author Topic: Triathlons  (Read 32885 times)

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Triathlons
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:53:38 pm »
We must have some triathletes on here?

I did Blenheim Tri for the first time this weekend - it was absolutely brilliant.  Great atmostphere, great marshalls and a decent sized crowd.  It had the feel of a "big" event.

Does anyone have anything planned this season?

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
Re: Triathlons
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 08:50:13 pm »
Olympic or sprint ?

Wouldn't call myself a triathlete though have done the Hever castle (Kent) Olympic tri the last two years and will do this year.

I'm a back of the packer just aiming to get round without stopping ! Your right about the buzz , good crowd gives you a lift .
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:01:14 pm »
I hope you've got a wetsuit !

If your not a reasonably strong swimmer I'd avoid the sea for a while.

People think the sprint tri's are easier because they're shorter whereas  I think they're harder as its all about the level of intensity , the longer distance is more endurance , and if like me you do it for fun then your racing yourself . On the sprints there's no where to hide as your racing against everyone else.
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Pheeny

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 04:53:08 pm »
You come from an island Rhi so swimming in the sea should be a doddle...

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 06:21:36 pm »
I did the sprint at Blenhiem, I think i'm going to do the sprint at London as well - then gear up for Olympics at Liverpool and Windermere next year.

I have to get ALOT more compitent at the open water swim first though.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
  • We must all at least Tri
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 08:53:10 am »
Following on from the personal goals thread, I have now signed up for a sprint Triathlon!!  :o
I started to swim at the end of last month & have literally only just done my first 16 lengths without stopping!!
I can't believe how hard swimming is, as far as breathing is concerned!!
Well my first ever Triathlon is on the 22nd (next week) & I'm not very confident at all, but we'll see what happens eh?
I'll let you know how badly I do, I'm hoping to complete it in about 1hr 15mins????

Pheeny

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 11:07:59 am »
Don't want to start a new thread but has anyone done  Dulathon?

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 12:13:13 am »
I'm signing up for an off road Duathlon on the 5th Oct.  5k run - 16k bike - 3k run
On a crappy old GT i-drive mountain bike!!

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 11:18:01 pm »
Well I've completed my first ever sprint triathlon & I'm well pleased with my time, 1:09:32!!!!   ;D :wave

Pheeny

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 04:53:07 pm »
Nice one Jay!

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 11:26:36 pm »
Nice one Jay!
Cheers matey.
I've got the bug now though.... My goal for next year is to beat the hour mark?? & maybe try the half Ironman??  :o

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: October 6, 2013, 06:10:37 pm »
I did my first ever Duathlon & it was an off road one at that, yesterday!!
5km run 17km bike 3km run!  I did it in 1:29:25 which considering the bike I used, I'm very pleased with!!   :D ;D
If I can get hold of another bike there is two more to do? One in Nov & another in Dec!!

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: November 4, 2013, 11:45:47 am »
I've got my 2nd Off Road Duathlon on Saturday (9th)! I managed to get myself another bike,  a Specialized Camber! I've only ridden it once though, so I'll just have to see how I get on with this next one? Again I'm not hoping for much!
I'vejust ssigned up for the Dambuster triathlon too which will be my first Olympic length & also my first open water too!!  :o

Pheeny

« Reply #13 on: November 4, 2013, 04:33:17 pm »
What type of training do you do Jay?

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: November 5, 2013, 10:50:18 am »
What type of training do you do Jay?
I've not really got any structure to my training yet matey! I've just joined a new triathlon club that'sjust started up . We go on a 17mile(ish) bike ride Tuesday nights a 6(ish) mile run Thursday nights & we've just got a coached swim session on Saturday afternoon! I then try & get 1or 2 more swims in during the week & try & get another bike & run in over the weekend?
I am definitely going to try & work around proper training plan though & try & change my diet slightly too?

Pheeny

« Reply #15 on: November 5, 2013, 11:34:31 am »
Been trying to find a good plan for Duathlon so if you come across one give us a shout ;)

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: November 5, 2013, 12:28:51 pm »
Been trying to find a good plan for Duathlon so if you come across one give us a shout ;)
funnily enough matey I've been given an issue of a triathlon magazine whichhas got a 6 week training plan for a Duathlon! I'll look it up when I get home & either get you a link or tell you what magazine & issue it is! I'm not sure I can photocopy it & post it worse case?

Pheeny

« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2013, 01:33:31 pm »
Cheers Jay.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: November 5, 2013, 10:40:06 pm »
Right then matey, after literally hours of pratting about because my pc decides to go into meltdown. I then after fire up my old laptop only to find it hasn't got any drivers for my printer/scanner!! Anyhow Ive managed to sort that lot out & I have managed to scan the 6 week training plan but I can't seem to upload them on here matey, any advice? I click on the 'insert image' button but I can't paste the images?
The training plan is in October's edition of Triathlon plus, in case I can't manage to upload the pictures tomorrow!!

Pheeny

« Reply #19 on: November 5, 2013, 10:48:06 pm »
Right then matey, after literally hours of pratting about because my pc decides to go into meltdown. I then after fire up my old laptop only to find it hasn't got any drivers for my printer/scanner!! Anyhow Ive managed to sort that lot out & I have managed to scan the 6 week training plan but I can't seem to upload them on here matey, any advice? I click on the 'insert image' button but I can't paste the images?
The training plan is in October's edition of Triathlon plus, in case I can't manage to upload the pictures tomorrow!!
Sent you a mail to your registered email address.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: November 6, 2013, 07:35:05 am »
If you're looking for an event to enter try Trifinder? There's a list of events organisers  in there too, so there should be plenty to choose from near you?      :wave
Oh I forgot to mention, it's not just for triathlons!
« Last Edit: November 6, 2013, 07:37:10 am by Jay797 »

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #21 on: November 6, 2013, 11:38:11 am »
If you're looking for an event to enter try Trifinder? There's a list of events organisers  in there too, so there should be plenty to choose from near you?      :wave
Oh I forgot to mention, it's not just for triathlons!

That websites really good.

Also try TriFerris - I did the Cotswolds tri 2 months ago, organised by them - it was brilliant.

I'm feeling a little out of practice at the moment seeing as all the lakes for open water swimming have shut for winter now.  I think me and a few friends are gonig to go out for Mallorca Tri in May.

Pheeny

« Reply #22 on: November 6, 2013, 11:49:27 am »
Problem is, I'm not in the UK ;)

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2013, 12:54:15 pm »
Problem is, I'm not in the UK ;)
lucky you!    ;-)
There must be a site for the country you're in? Either that or you'll have to visit here?   :-D

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: November 9, 2013, 07:47:25 pm »
Just done my 2nd ever Duathlon today & an off road one at that (again)!!
I did it in 1:30:51 & finished in 14th for my age group!! (according to the race ticket at the end?)
Pretty chuffed if thats the case!  ;D
It was bloody tough going as obviously was pretty muddy & wet!!
Then this afternoon I went to our Triathlon club's coached swim session!!  :o
To say I'm knackered is an understatement!!

Pheeny

« Reply #25 on: November 9, 2013, 08:27:44 pm »
Nice one Jay.

Yesterday I did a 20k each way commute on the MTB and then a 7k run when I got home just as a tester to see if I could hack it.

It's bloody knackering isn't it. ;)

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: November 9, 2013, 08:49:13 pm »
Cheers Tony
Ha ha you don't know the half matey!! The second run in the Duathlon was mega hard both times I did it  :o
I mean your/my legs just feel like lead & you're running as fast as you can but only doing about 2mph!!!  :shocked
To me that 2nd run is harder than the run in a Triathlon or rather the only one I did anyway!!

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 07:25:39 pm »
Cheers Tony
Ha ha you don't know the half matey!! The second run in the Duathlon was mega hard both times I did it  :o
I mean your/my legs just feel like lead & you're running as fast as you can but only doing about 2mph!!!  :shocked
To me that 2nd run is harder than the run in a Triathlon or rather the only one I did anyway!!

Yup

second run in duathlons is very very difficult.  you have to pace the first run and the bike just to make the final run even remotely respectable.

Just tried to sign up for Blenhiem Tri 2014 only to find it's already sold out :( devastating.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 09:14:14 pm »
Yup

second run in duathlons is very very difficult.  you have to pace the first run and the bike just to make the final run even remotely respectable.

Just tried to sign up for Blenhiem Tri 2014 only to find it's already sold out :( devastating.
That's a bummer mate!! Was it a sprint or olympic? Is there not another one you can do instead? There's literally hundreds around nowadays!!

The 2nd run on the Duathlon is kinda funny too when you look back??  :o You are running as fast as you can but you are literally running at about 2mph & thinking that everyone is going to catch & overtake you, yet you look ahead & you're catching some of the others up!!! which obviously means evrybody is going through hell with the run!!??   ;D

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 12:00:29 pm »
That's a bummer mate!! Was it a sprint or olympic? Is there not another one you can do instead? There's literally hundreds around nowadays!!

The 2nd run on the Duathlon is kinda funny too when you look back??  :o You are running as fast as you can but you are literally running at about 2mph & thinking that everyone is going to catch & overtake you, yet you look ahead & you're catching some of the others up!!! which obviously means evrybody is going through hell with the run!!??   ;D

Sprint at Blenhiem.

Yer- there's loads, but Blenhiem is particularly good.

On my hitlist for 2014 i have:

Mallorca
Winderemere
Liverpool
Cotswolds
London (possibly)
and I'd like to get out to the states for one as well - but we'll have to see.

Anyone got any events planned next year?

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: December 7, 2013, 02:38:39 pm »
Just got in from doing my last (off road) Duathlon for this year!! Ive been ill for 3weeks now & have done practically nothing training wise since my last one, & in saying all that I finished 6th in my age group which is mega mega brilliant (for my low expectations anyway!) I am really pleased with that result!!   ;D
 I practically needed a paramedic at the end though as I was about coughing my lungs up!!! :(
This one was the hardest one out of the 3 that I've done, probably because I thought the bike route would be pretty flat & fast being as though it was round a 1.2 mile long boating lake!! How wrong was I???   :o
Oh & that second run is still such a bloody bitch!!! Where does all your power & energy go It is so hard!!
I really enjoyed it though & I am absolutely shattered!!
Looking forward to next year now, just need to get rid of this bug & get some proper training in!
I will be giving update as & when!!

Oh I forgot to add, Ive enterd the Dambusters Triathlon (olympic) for next year which is at  Rutland water!!
That's the only Triathlon I've entered so far!!   :wave
« Last Edit: December 7, 2013, 02:41:27 pm by Jay797 »

Pheeny

« Reply #31 on: December 7, 2013, 07:00:29 pm »
Nice one Jay

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #32 on: December 8, 2013, 05:04:49 pm »

Oh I forgot to add, Ive enterd the Dambusters Triathlon (olympic) for next year which is at  Rutland water!!
That's the only Triathlon I've entered so far!!   :wave

Good man

I manned up and entered London Olympic Tri for next year.  Been talking a big game about it for a while now - actually committed.

I plan to do:

Mallorca
London
Liverpool

as my 3 olympic distances.  I'll try and squeeze in a couple of sprints as well.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 07:19:12 pm »
Right then guys, Triathlon season is almost upon us now!! What triathlons have you entered? So far I've entered

Southwell Tri (pool sprint)
Nottingham Tri (open water sprint)
Dambusters (open water Olympic)
Erewash Tri (pool sprint)
There might be another one or two to add to that list further into the season??
I've also bought myself a pressy too   ;D

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_uk/bikes/models/images/2000/2013/2013_GIANT_TRINITY_COMPOSITE_0.jpg

& ooooohh I love it!!!  I just hope I can do her justice & be able to post a decentish time???
Talk about a massive upgrade on what I've got!! I need to get out on her & get used to the ride position!!   :D
Sorry about the link but I can't seem to upload any photo's at all here   :wave

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 10:32:06 am »
Right then guys, Triathlon season is almost upon us now!! What triathlons have you entered? So far I've entered

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_uk/bikes/models/images/2000/2013/2013_GIANT_TRINITY_COMPOSITE_0.jpg

& ooooohh I love it!!!  I just hope I can do her justice & be able to post a decentish time???
Talk about a massive upgrade on what I've got!! I need to get out on her & get used to the ride position!!   :D

It's stooopid...and it's the last time I give yer any advice :nirnir

Just playing Jay..that's a nice looking scoot....triathalons are still stoooopid though. ;D  ;)
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 05:56:08 pm »

Good season planned out mate.

My season was meant to be:

South Cerney - open water olympic
Blenhiem - Open water sprint
Windermere - open water olympic
London - open water olympic
Liverpool - open water olympic
Cotswolds - Open water sprint.
Oxford - Pool sprint.

But, i think i'm gonna get all catholic and pull out.  Going to concentrate on my National Cat 4 bike racing this year - i want to get upto Cat 3 ASAP.

The amount of time in need to be putting in on the bike doesn't lends itself to training for 2 other disciplines too.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 06:57:18 pm »
It's stooopid...and it's the last time I give yer any advice :nirnir

Just playing Jay..that's a nice looking scoot....triathalons are still stoooopid though. ;D  ;)
Ha ha I knew you'd say that Dave, but it is still a form of cycling & it is a lovely looking bike!!   ;)
I've just been out on it, I only did 15 miles but it felt quite hard work really! I think I need to make a few adjustments?
Trouble is, I can't warrant spending £150 on a bike fit!!!!   :o
Good season planned out mate.

My season was meant to be:

South Cerney - open water olympic
Blenhiem - Open water sprint
Windermere - open water olympic
London - open water olympic
Liverpool - open water olympic
Cotswolds - Open water sprint.
Oxford - Pool sprint.

But, i think i'm gonna get all catholic and pull out.  Going to concentrate on my National Cat 4 bike racing this year - i want to get upto Cat 3 ASAP.

The amount of time in need to be putting in on the bike doesn't lends itself to training for 2 other disciplines too.
Well good luck in your cycling Adam, Triathlons will still be there when you fancy a change!! You'll improve your time no end too as, as you know the bike leg accounts for half your time??!!   ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #37 on: April 8, 2014, 06:57:48 pm »
Ha ha I knew you'd say that Dave, but it is still a form of cycling & it is a lovely looking bike!!   ;)
I've just been out on it, I only did 15 miles but it felt quite hard work really! I think I need to make a few adjustments?
Trouble is, I can't warrant spending £150 on a bike fit!!!!   :oWell good luck in your cycling Adam, Triathlons will still be there when you fancy a change!! You'll improve your time no end too as, as you know the bike leg accounts for half your time??!!   ;D
I meant to reply to this at the time..sorry Jay.

It's probably better if you do a few miles on it first...see if that irons out any positional kinks.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: April 8, 2014, 10:37:39 pm »
I meant to reply to this at the time..sorry Jay.

It's probably better if you do a few miles on it first...see if that irons out any positional kinks.
That's ok Dave. I've made a couple of tiny adjustments to it,  but my arms still ache a little on it!! I'll keep tinkering til hopefully I find something thats good?
I've read quite a few good reviews on that Adrian Timmis chap but he charges £180!! Loads of folk say its the best money you can spend!! But £180 is a lot of money  :(

Offline Adamski7

• Racing snake
  • Kopite
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2014, 11:34:57 am »
Got a place on Liverpool Tri - and the bike course just looks FUCKING SENSATIONAL.  So looks like i'm doing at least 2 triathlons this year now  :).

Best get in the water soon.