Author Topic: Tough Mudder.  (Read 8243 times)

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
Tough Mudder.
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:40:50 pm »
So not sure if anyone knows about this or has maybe done it? A group of six of us have entered this from work. I was just wondering if anyone has done it/is intending to do it,and/or if anyone has any tips regarding training?

toughmudder.co.uk/

www.youtube.com/user/ToughMudder

It looks pretty good fun to me! Some of the group reckon its going to be an absolute nightmare but im not convinced and with the right training i honestly beleive it would be great fun.Anyways anyone whos done this or is intending on doing it and has a training routine/schedule be kind enough to post.

Cheers.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Tough Mudder.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 02:37:43 pm »
Me an a few lads from the gym where thinking of doing it. Freezing water, electric shocks and fire. Sounds right up my street!
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:03:04 pm »
certainly looks like a great laugh,Im sure itll be far from easy but its something a bit different and so we thought we would give it a go.Really looking forward to it!

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 03:08:29 pm »
One of my mates did it last year. All he said was don't underestimate it.
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 05:38:51 pm »
Tough Mudder fans might also like PrisonBreaker - in this one you're chased. It's run by a good mate of mine, see http://prisonbreaker.eventbrite.com/

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:44:51 pm »
Looks good.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 05:48:22 pm »
im really loooking forward to it! Think id be caught pretty swiftly if i were being chased though hahaha

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2013, 11:24:02 pm »
Wouldn't underestimate it Roady, that is a serious challenge. To do well, you've got to be in top shape. I hope you've been training a while because that requires several different 'types' of fitness. You've got you cardiovascular endurance for the slog it'll be, the necessary strength as it looks to be very bodyweight-based and just base muscle endurance, because approach this without proper training and you'll be flooded with lactic and crippled early on. It looks severe.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #8 on: October 1, 2013, 11:36:43 am »
Anyone doing Tough Mudder this weekend???

Signed up last minute and cant wait!!
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 1, 2013, 03:10:09 pm »
A few friends of mine have done this.  It's pretty tough but looks to be a bit of fun as well. 

Offline NotAsBigDanno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 08:31:23 am »
I'm signed up to do the 10k event at this http://www.rocksolidrace.com/milton-keynes.html

Looks like fun!

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 11:25:35 am »
/Is that Prison Breaker still going? Sounds boss!

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #12 on: July 5, 2014, 10:17:12 am »
https://www.facebook.com/mudmastersdeutschland?fref=photo

Weeze is a lovely place if anyone is interested.I was stationed there with the RAF (Laarbruch) for 4 years and had a wonderful time.

Oh yea and Ryan Air fly to Weeze...

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 5, 2014, 01:07:38 pm »
Forgot all about this thread.Was a great experience,loved it all,tough at times,very tough but great fun too.Didnt honestly think it was as hard as the tirathlon i did in 09 though,that was harder by some distance,even if it wasnt a full length triathlon

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 11:45:39 pm »
Signed up to do something similar in 36 days (http://runamuckchallenge.com/course.php)

loads of us from Cross-fit doing it as a group

Should be fun.

Offline NotAsBigDanno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 08:27:34 pm »
10k RockSolid race this Saturday! Can't wait  :)

Offline NotAsBigDanno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 05:48:21 pm »
10k RockSolid race this Saturday! Can't wait  :)

I done the 10k RockSolid yesterday in 2hrs 4mins which is much quicker than I expected so I'm really happy with that.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 02:33:08 am »
Signed up for Tough Mudder Virgina in June 2015 yesterday

I'm already scared

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 10:52:56 am »
At first It looked similar to Takishi's Castle but then..
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 10:56:10 pm »
I read a piece in the telegraph about it just two days ago. Don't ubderestimate it seems to be the best advice. Have good cardio vascular but also decent upper body and the rest is mental. For me the prize will be crossing the line. I couldn't care less about the time.

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 8, 2015, 11:47:54 pm »
Doing something similar on 25th January and have barely done any training for it. Will really have to step up the training over the next week. As Andy said above I'll just be happy to finish it at this stage.

http://www.hellandback.ie/

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 9, 2015, 12:21:35 am »
Doing something similar on 25th January and have barely done any training for it. Will really have to step up the training over the next week. As Andy said above I'll just be happy to finish it at this stage.

http://www.hellandback.ie/

there's a few of us from the gym doing that too, I'll be the same, once i cross the finish line in one piece i'll count it as a victory

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 04:54:01 pm »
This lifted from the Telegraph

Three Telegraph reporters took on the South London event to find out just how tough Tough Mudder really is ...

Andrew Trotman – the adrenalin junkie
I can't do this, it's too much, I want to go home. All these thoughts rushed through my head when Tough Mudder asked me to pay £10 for parking my car ahead of the event.
Sorry, I tend to get a bit self-righteous when money is involved. And I should have spent less time saving and more time training.
In the lead up to the UK's final Tough Mudder of 2014, I didn't set foot in a gym, didn't touch one treadmill, didn't try to dodge a cloud of Lynx deodorant sprayed by a 16-year-old in a changing room.
In short, I didn't train for a 12-mile cross-country obstacle course. Just writing that makes me realise how stupid I was. But I'm a thrill-seeker, I like danger. I was concentrating on the fire, electricity and barbed wire that I would be ploughing through at Tough Mudder's South London event (which for some reason is near Winchester).
And they're off (PIC: Kirsten Holst / Tough Mudder)
I jogged most of the first mile, combined that with walking for the second mile, and slowly plodded along for the next 10. By mile eight I was exhausted, and convinced myself the best thing would be to drop out at the next obstacle.
By the time I got to that obstacle (a huge wall that someone tried to help me climb over before giving up), I was so tired that I forgot all about my plan. I kept walking, like a zombie with rickets, until my left knee gave out at mile nine.
From there, I hobbled until the end, bypassing "Everest" (a long run up an almost vertical incline) and "Fire in your Hole" (a slide into fire that ends in water). I was gutted about missing the latter, but I found out that if you can't swim (I do depths, not lengths) then you have to miss quite a few obstacles.
Still, I'd managed to jump into skips of iced water, get electrocuted (a lot) and crawled through barbed wire, so the day wasn't completely wasted.
Tough Mudder was by far the hardest thing I have ever attempted, because I had massively underestimated what I had to do to prepare for it. The average finishing time is around three hours. I finished in 3:45, despite skipping obstacles – but I was still feeling the effects three days after that.

Andrew Critchlow – the former Army soldier
According to British Army legend, a group of US Marines on a joint training exercise sometime in the 1980s were billeted at the old Guards Training Depot in Pirbright.
Hidden away in the backwoods of Surrey, the depot was an inhospitable collection of corrugated tin huts built around a drill square and arguably one of the toughest military assault courses in the world. The legend goes that these unsuspecting US Marines were asked to tackle the obstacle course but refused because they considered it to be too dangerous.
I had the pleasure of conquering this famous test of military endurance in the 1990s. Having survived that shuddering experience, I was naturally sceptical about how challenging I would find Tough Mudder. Surely this kind of event was just aimed at soft City types who want to get a bit dirty over the weekend?
How wrong I was.
In reality, Tough Mudder was three hours of pain from beginning to end and easily one of the hardest events I have ever attempted. To run the 12-mile course built around the hilly terrain of the Matterley Bowl near Winchester would be enough of a challenge on its own, but throw in treacherous obstacles designed by ex-Special Forces and this is the kind of test that would have the US Marines thinking twice before entering.
I was just glad to finish, but I will be back next year for more.
Andrew Critchlow struggles to find words to describe his experience

Matthew Sparkes – the marathon runner
I was cynical about Tough Mudder, as I am about most things: adults paying £150 to prove their machismo by running around carrying logs? It didn’t sit right with me.
The American-style warm-up didn’t do much to sway me: I’m too British to enjoy chanting “hoorah” and putting my arms around strangers.
But within a couple of miles I was having a whale of a time: a nice run in the countryside, instead of my usual route through grey suburbia, broken up with smoke bombs, a leap into freezing water and getting head-to-toe muddy. In short: a proper laugh.
A few miles later and I’d swum through ice-water, crawled under barbed wire, waded through thigh-deep mud that tried to steal my trainers for yet-unborn archaeologists to find, and been mildly electrocuted.
Tired? Certainly. But I was having a huge amount of fun.
It was the camaraderie that lifted my spirits most of all. Some of the obstacles are near impossible to clear on your own, but there’s always someone willing to form a human stepladder and boost you up, or grab a limb from above and haul you over.
In return, you try to help one or two people behind you. Tough Mudder is perhaps the only situation where someone will be truly grateful because you and a third stranger helped throw them over a six-foot wooden fence.
I’ve run several marathons, which are totally independent endeavours; in comparison, being able to help others get to the TM finish line (and rely on them to get you there) was positively heart-warming.
How tough was it? My lower half – which does a lot of cycling and running – found it quite easy. My upper half – which does a lot of typing and drinking tea – took a good week to recover. Putting on socks and applying deodorant was genuinely painful for a while. Muscles I have never noticed before were surprisingly vocal in their anger at what I'd put them through.
So there are a lot of pull-ups and push-ups to be done before I do another. Which I certainly will.
Brothers and sisters in arms (PIC: Kirsten Holst / Tough Mudder)
John Fidoe – Tough Mudder marketing director
Tough Mudder is a real test of your mental strength, determination and, most importantly, teamwork. It's a test of your fears and strength. You're there to test yourself and push yourself as hard as you can.
The worst obstacle for me is Boa Constrictor (two narrow pipes separated by a muddy pool that competitors have to crawl through), as I don't enjoy tight spaces. It's not a lot of fun. Mentally, that's tough.
But the electricity is most people's least favourite obstacle. That's our signature obstacle. No one does electricity.
We are currently testing 20 to 25 new or improved obstacles for next year's races, but that's top secret. [The events are] going to look a bit different next year.

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 09:12:55 pm »
there's a few of us from the gym doing that too, I'll be the same, once i cross the finish line in one piece i'll count it as a victory

How'd you get on mate? Finished it in one piece even if the calves and hamstrings are a little sore. Definitely want to do it again though. Great feeling to finish.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 01:55:31 pm »

How'd you get on mate? Finished it in one piece even if the calves and hamstrings are a little sore. Definitely want to do it again though. Great feeling to finish.

Forgot to reply to this, I was just delighted to get through it!

Only popped in here to say that I'm doing Tough Mudder Dublin in July

Gonna start conditioning for it soon... The obstacles won't be too bad, I'm strong enough so they'll be meat and drink to me

just the running in between that kills me

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 03:29:31 am »
Did Tough Mudder Virginia yesterday. Up at 3.30am,drove 3.5 hours to get there. Did the Mudder then took about 5 hours to get home safe. Long day.

I really enjoyed it. Some obstacles were super hard and some a bit challenging but overall it's just a slog. It's not impossible as there is no race element and they don't even keep times. Most people were walking towards the end.

10.5 miles of hard slog in 30c heat. It really was a tough day out.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #26 on: February 9, 2016, 03:30:42 pm »
just signed up for a Spartan Sprint race in April in Charlotte

looks basically like an intense army assault course, only 3-5 miles

I like having a definite goal to motivate me to train leading up to it

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 9, 2016, 04:48:28 pm »
Running through some parts of London is enough of a challenge without being electrocuted and having to climb through barbed wire...  They do look fun, so I may enter an event one day.  I've got runners arms though; just used a jump rope and my arms couldn't keep up with my legs. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 09:00:57 am »
Signed up for this. Can anyone recommend any decent training programmes?

Not exactly a beginner, but i play 5 a side football and badminton weekly and also try to hit the gym 2/3 times a week (doing mainly squats/bench press/deadlifts) notice a severe lack of cardio aha, after doing all this i still feel extremely unfit.

Thanks!

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 01:59:58 pm »
Signed up for this. Can anyone recommend any decent training programmes?

on tough mudder the obstacles re really not especially hard, some are more mental than physical. If your physically fit you will be fine. there will be at least two obstacles that will require arms and shoulders. see if you can find some monkey bars or pull up bars to exercise on. If you get your ability to do money bars good then you should be fine.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 08:05:27 pm »
Running my second tough mudder tomorrow in Grantham . Up at 5am tomorrow driving to Crewe and loads of us from work doing it so getting a minibus from there. Cannot wait. I didn't think I'd do it last time but none of these events are timed. I'm not as fit as I was last time round but still think ill do it. It's more about mental state to be honest . This course is about 12.5 miles. The running isn't an issue as your waiting a lot of the time so get a breather . Cannot wait 😀 Raised 4000 quid for Macmillan and help for heroes in the process 😀

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 08:16:21 am »
Well completed my second tough mudder yesterday and I think they are definitely getting much harder each year. Loved it but I'm complete and utter agony now. I done a triathlon in 2009 and if do that 3 or 4 times over before doing one tough mudder. Hard work! So much so when I when I got out of the arctic enima at mile 4 or so I had to run with a blanket for a few miles to keep warm. Then passing out on the last obstacle coz I got zapped in the face 😂 Woke up and crawled over the finish line with cramp all down one side of my body. Signing up for next year though. Great fun despite the agony I'm in. But don't underestimate it. People who do it the first time see it as a cross country run with obstacles thrown in. For the vast majority of the 12.5 miles you can barely stand up becuase the mud under your feet. Massive inclines to run up and the course is not flat. Good three or four miles at least are uphill. Wading through mud up to your nips is not fun once your about 100yards in and have another 100 to go. Some of the obstacles are near on impossible . I've never had to challenge myself so much in any event . It was hard work. I'm in pain and have bruises and cuts everywhere. One of my colleagues broke two fingers and another was treated for hypothermia. It's seriously tough. But I'll be back next year!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #32 on: September 4, 2016, 12:57:02 pm »
Me and a group of mates are signing up for the Grantham Tough Mudder which is May next year. Really looking forward to it.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33 on: September 5, 2016, 11:24:48 am »
Me and a group of mates are signing up for the Grantham Tough Mudder which is May next year. Really looking forward to it.

7 of us in so far, waiting on another 11 to make their minds up  ;D

We've decided to go for the Scotland on instead in the June and make a weekend of it.

Edit - 9 now!
« Last Edit: September 5, 2016, 06:06:31 pm by CraigDS »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #34 on: September 7, 2016, 07:48:48 pm »
Tickets bought and paid for. 9 of us in the team at the moment but think could be another 5 or 6 in the end.

Paid of trails running shoes ordered - best get able to run more than 100m.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 06:39:33 pm »
Tickets bought and paid for. 9 of us in the team at the moment but think could be another 5 or 6 in the end.

Paid of trails running shoes ordered - best get able to run more than 100m.
[/quote

Don't under estimate mate seriously. Not sure what your general fitness level is like. But give yourself plenty of training

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 11:46:08 am »
Fitness levels in general are OK, workout 5+ times a week (lifting) but have increased the cardio to get some running ability in.

What sort of distance is it between obstacles?

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #37 on: November 5, 2016, 05:31:11 pm »
Fitness levels in general are OK, workout 5+ times a week (lifting) but have increased the cardio to get some running ability in.

What sort of distance is it between obstacles?
varies but they are not right next to each other

anywhere from a few hundred yards to 1/2 mile

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #38 on: November 7, 2016, 02:14:43 pm »
varies but they are not right next to each other

anywhere from a few hundred yards to 1/2 mile

As long as it's under a couple of miles I'll be fine. Aiming to be able to jog around 8-10 miles across rough/muddy/uphill terrain by the time this starts.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 12:27:21 pm »
nowhere near a couple of miles on the one I did which was about 10 miles to get round

I did mine in fairly brutal heat and most people just walked between obstacles

tough mudder is more of just an abject grind to get through

just a test against yourself to try and get through the tougher obstacles when you are a bit tired from a long jog/walk