Author Topic: Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2  (Read 65768 times)

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #40 on: October 5, 2011, 11:37:29 am »
Just got my despatched e-mail from shopto!

Happy days!

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 5, 2011, 12:26:37 pm »
Happy days!

You mean bleak and sorrowful days of despair, cruelty basked in glorious cold moonlight and wicked glow of demonic eyes.
;)

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 5, 2011, 12:31:42 pm »
You mean bleak and sorrowful days of despair, cruelty basked in glorious cold moonlight and wicked glow of demonic eyes.
;)

I shall vanquish all foes!

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 5, 2011, 12:39:49 pm »
Do write up some impressions once you play it.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 5, 2011, 12:57:29 pm »
Do write up some impressions once you play it.

I shall do my friend, I shall do.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #45 on: October 5, 2011, 01:25:07 pm »
Mine's been despatched by Simply Games, so I should have it tomorrow.

That's this evening accounted for then.  I'll be busy bubble-wrapping my telly.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: October 6, 2011, 12:32:08 pm »
mines just turned up

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 6, 2011, 02:21:20 pm »
mines just turned up

Same here.

Love the box for the special edition.

Will give it a bash either tonight or tomorrow night and post up a full review :thumbup

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 6, 2011, 04:25:11 pm »
fuckin hell it's solid

got to the first proper boss (well i think it is anyway?) twice and been killed first hit both times

been playing for a couple of hours and must've died nearly 50 times already, a lot of them through my own stupidity trying to rush back to where i was before i got killed

graphically it's a lot better than demon's souls (not too hard to do really) the control system is more or less the same with combat being identical to it's predecessor, the only thing i've noticed with the controls is that the select button does the gestures (think you held the d pad in demon's souls) and to write or rate messages you press square (you need to buy orange soapstone from the first vendor which you assign like usable items)

leveling up works better now with no traveling backwards and forwards to the nexus, just find a bonfire and level up, there's a couple of other options you can use at a fire as well but i've not figured out what to do with them but think it's something to do with your humanity level which is in the top left corner near the health & stamina bars, like demon's souls the game & manual don't give much away and leaves you to figure it out

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 6, 2011, 04:30:03 pm »
Taurus demon?
Have you tried the new plummeting strike, when you drop onto your opponent from above?

Shit I've read too much about this game..

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 6, 2011, 04:39:22 pm »
yeah it's the taurus demon, i've not seen anywhere to get high enough to do the plummeting strike unless i'm missing somewhere on the map

there's a boss demon in the first area that you use it on but think that's more just to teach you the controls

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 6, 2011, 04:42:11 pm »
Ah, must have mistaken that one for Taurus demon. So overall it did not disappoint?
 Really can't wait to sink my teeth in it, but it might have to wait until holidays :(

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 6, 2011, 04:53:16 pm »
Ah, must have mistaken that one for Taurus demon. So overall it did not disappoint?
 Really can't wait to sink my teeth in it, but it might have to wait until holidays :(

Spoiler
yeah you do use it on the taurus demon, there's some ladders on the right as you come out of the tower which i hadn't spotted so you need to lure it along the ramparts then climb up and do the plummeting strike
[close]

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #53 on: October 6, 2011, 06:20:07 pm »

Spoiler
What have you done about that big Knight guarding what seems to be a treasure? It is before that spiraling stairs, towards the right of that spear wielding enemy
[close]

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 6, 2011, 06:23:49 pm »
Spoiler
What have you done about that big Knight guarding what seems to be a treasure? It is before that spiraling stairs, towards the right of that spear wielding enemy
[close]

Spoiler
fuck all yet  :)
tried fighting him a couple of times earlier on and he was too strong for me, i might have another try now i've leveled up a bit
[close]

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 6, 2011, 06:25:04 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
shit himself and done a fucking runner
[close]

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #56 on: October 6, 2011, 06:28:55 pm »
Spoiler
shit himself and done a fucking runner
[close]

Spoiler
I've tried killing him multiple times but have not succeeded. Sneak attack doesn't work, the plunge attack works but he hits back very fast. Think I will need to level up quite a bit before I can take it down.
[close]

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 6, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »
Can you still get a mate to co-op on this one lke you could in demon souls?

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 6, 2011, 06:37:14 pm »
yeah

Spoiler
after you beat the taurus demon go into the tower at the far end, go down some stairs and when you come back out onto the ramparts turn right and there's some more steps on the left & right, go down either side and there's a knoght at the end, talk to him and select yes when it prompts you and you get white soapstone which you use to summon
[close]

Spoiler
I've tried killing him multiple times but have not succeeded. Sneak attack doesn't work, the plunge attack works but he hits back very fast. Think I will need to level up quite a bit before I can take it down.
[close]

think he's a bit like the red eye knight in 1-1 on demon's souls, impossible to beat at low levels

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #59 on: October 6, 2011, 06:47:35 pm »
yeah

Spoiler
after you beat the taurus demon go into the tower at the far end, go down some stairs and when you come back out onto the ramparts turn right and there's some more steps on the left & right, go down either side and there's a knoght at the end, talk to him and select yes when it prompts you and you get white soapstone which you use to summon
[close]

Does it make sense to start summoning in early levels or stack those up for really difficult bits?

Spoiler
Or is it for the Dragon
[close]

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 6, 2011, 07:07:40 pm »
Does it make sense to start summoning in early levels or stack those up for really difficult bits?

Spoiler
Or is it for the Dragon
[close]

once you have the white sign soapstone you can use it as often as you want (i think?)

i'm not 100% sure how it works but it's something like when you're undead use the white soapstone to place a marker, it can only be used outside, anybody who is in human form will be able to see it and summon you into their game, i'm not sure if there is a level range of people you can play with though

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #61 on: October 7, 2011, 01:57:58 pm »

Spoiler
Any idea how to pass the red dragon?
[close]

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 7, 2011, 06:24:16 pm »
Spoiler
Any idea how to pass the red dragon?
[close]

Spoiler
walk slowly along the bridge with the dragon on, as soon as it starts to breathe fire turn and leg it, it's possible to make it into the doorway where you came out of the tower without taking any damage but as long as your health is pretty high the flames won't kill you if you don't make it, that should take care of the guards on the bridge, leg it down the bridge then go down some stairs on the right roughly where those guards were

in this room there's another set of stairs that lead down to a ladder, kick it down then you can get to the bonfire in undead burg near the narrow bridge where the guards chuck firebombs at you

go back up the ladder and stairs and out of the door, this brings you out under the bridge, there's a couple of guards under here then follow the ledge the spear guard was on into a room with 3 rats, it's best to lure them out as you can get easily poisoned if you get surrounded, go up some ladders into the undead parish

this next bit is quite tough, there's an armored boar & several guards, once you've killed them go down the stairs on the right under the ledge the crossbowmen were stood on, there's 5 or 6 zombies in here so try to lure them outside a couple at a time as they can easily surround you

that's about as far as i've got so far, i got a mystery key either in the last room or from the boar (can't remember which) but haven't found out what it's for yet
[close]

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 7, 2011, 06:43:01 pm »
Let me tell you a little story about a boy who got home, ready to kick some demon arse on Dark Souls...

...He threw his pad through the tele and was never heard from again.

Dark Souls continues on in that vain from Demon Souls, with enemies being nigh on impossible to kill if you go in all hack and slash, the game doesn't change much from what you're used to with Demon Souls however the first 'boss' will give you a bit of a jump when you first meet him/her/it.

Combat hasn't changed at all from the previous game however the start menu seems to take an age to appear which pisses you off.

Overall though, the game is a lot harder, there are more traps, tougher enemies and less time to dwell around.

If you want a challenge that's harder than Demon Souls then get Dark Souls.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #64 on: October 7, 2011, 08:59:07 pm »

Spoiler
Yea I figured it out but didn't kick the ladder down and the armored boar got me, will try again tomorrow, thanks. I also tried shooting arrows at the dragons tail and it seems to connect, so might get about 50-100 arrows and see how much damage I can do it before it disappears from the bridge. It seems there is some treasure it is guarding, which could come handy.

Also, don't go up the spiral case when you go up the ladders, there's another heavily armored knight with quite a large sword. Had to leg it when it ran after me, so didn't quite get a good look.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 7, 2011, 09:01:41 pm by thegoodfella »

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 7, 2011, 09:09:05 pm »
Spoiler
Yea I figured it out but didn't kick the ladder down and the armored boar got me, will try again tomorrow, thanks. I also tried shooting arrows at the dragons tail and it seems to connect, so might get about 50-100 arrows and see how much damage I can do it before it disappears from the bridge. It seems there is some treasure it is guarding, which could come handy.

Also, don't go up the spiral case when you go up the ladders, there's another heavily armored knight with quite a large sword. Had to leg it when it ran after me, so didn't quite get a good look.
[close]
[/spoiler]

Spoiler
get the boar to charge at you then run back and take the right hand ledge, you can use plummeting strike on it, only takes a couple of hits to kill it

i've not got a bow or crossbow so haven't had a go at killing the dragon but i've seen plenty of messages under the bridge saying the tail is it's weakness so presume it's possible to either kill it or get it to fuck off somewhere else

i knew about the knight up those stairs but didn't want to spoil it for you  ;)
first time i got there i had a look round the corner first where the boar is then decided to go up the stairs, saw the knight so tried legging it back down but one of the guards had followed me up the stairs so got caught between them
[close]

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #66 on: October 7, 2011, 09:40:09 pm »
Spoiler
The running away bit is probably one of the reasons why I love this game, the sudden realization that you must run away or get killed, the heart beat jumping up a few notches and then listening if the c*nt's following you or gone back ;)
[close]

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 8, 2011, 05:22:31 pm »
Spoiler
if you've got a bow shoot the dragons tail a few times when you're under the bridge, when you shoot it it'll move down the bridge a bit then goes back to the wall so if you stand somewhere near the doorway where you enter the area you can get hit it when it's on the wall then get a 2nd hit in when it moves down the bridge, i only used around 30 arrows and some of those missed, once the tail is destroyed you get the drake sword

you can also stand on the ledge just past the room with the rats in it and fire an arrow at it's head, it'll jump off the wall and you'll have time to fire another 3 or 4 arrows at it's body before it jumps back on the wall, i've fired around 200 arrows into and it hardly made a dint in it's health though, also it's hard to tell but seemed to regenerate health, every once in a while it'd do a different animation on the wall and it's head would raise up too high for me to aim at and the health looked higher once i could hit it again
[close]

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #68 on: October 8, 2011, 08:15:11 pm »
Spoiler
if you've got a bow shoot the dragons tail a few times when you're under the bridge, when you shoot it it'll move down the bridge a bit then goes back to the wall so if you stand somewhere near the doorway where you enter the area you can get hit it when it's on the wall then get a 2nd hit in when it moves down the bridge, i only used around 30 arrows and some of those missed, once the tail is destroyed you get the drake sword

you can also stand on the ledge just past the room with the rats in it and fire an arrow at it's head, it'll jump off the wall and you'll have time to fire another 3 or 4 arrows at it's body before it jumps back on the wall, i've fired around 200 arrows into and it hardly made a dint in it's health though, also it's hard to tell but seemed to regenerate health, every once in a while it'd do a different animation on the wall and it's head would raise up too high for me to aim at and the health looked higher once i could hit it again
[close]

Spoiler
Got the dragon tail bit and the boar out of the way. Also took care of the knight up the spiral staircase by cornering him.

Which shield is the best to have at this early stage, someone told me to equip the heater shield but I am not sure if I buy it or not. Any suggestions?
[close]

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 8, 2011, 09:39:00 pm »
Spoiler
Got the dragon tail bit and the boar out of the way. Also took care of the knight up the spiral staircase by cornering him.

Which shield is the best to have at this early stage, someone told me to equip the heater shield but I am not sure if I buy it or not. Any suggestions?
[close]

i have the heater shield but i started off as a warrior so it's part of the starting equipment, it's better than all the other shields i've picked up so far but they've been dropped by the weaker enemies, looking through the stuff the first merchant sells i'd say the heater shield is probably the best one during the early part of the game unless i've missed one somewhere
Spoiler
i've not checked out the graveyard yet near where the giant crow drops you after the asylum, i can see a few items to pick up but the skeletons guarding them are hard bastards, i'll go back once i've leveled up a bit
[close]

as a rough guess i'd say the tower kite shield is probably the best shield early on, i've not seen one to pick up or buy and seeing that it's starting equipment for a knight i reckon most other classes would need their strength building up to be able to use it

watching a film with the missus then she's off to bed cos she's up at 6 for work so i'll get a few more hours in tonight then all day tomorrow seeing as there's no football on

edit: got a hollow soldier shield from a random drop in the yard where the armored boar was, it has slightly higher physical damage plus higher fire reduction & stability than the heater shield, the difference seems marginal in terms of numbers but i'm going through all enemies between the merchant in undead burg & the room with the zombies in just past the armored boar without getting a scratch unless i get careless and start hacking & slashing, roughly 40 kills in each run so i'm gonna stock up on firebombs plus go back to firelink shrine to see what miracles i can learn

edit:
Spoiler
first chance you get buy the repairbox from the merchant in undead burg, it costs 3000 souls which is expensive but you can use it as many times as you want at a bonfire, you pay a small fee for each item you repair but it works out cheaper in the long run than than buying repair powder at 500 a pop
[close]
« Last Edit: October 9, 2011, 04:24:06 am by FiSh77 »

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #70 on: October 9, 2011, 03:46:26 pm »
edit: got a hollow soldier shield from a random drop in the yard where the armored boar was, it has slightly higher physical damage plus higher fire reduction & stability than the heater shield, the difference seems marginal in terms of numbers but i'm going through all enemies between the merchant in undead burg & the room with the zombies in just past the armored boar without getting a scratch unless i get careless and start hacking & slashing, roughly 40 kills in each run so i'm gonna stock up on firebombs plus go back to firelink shrine to see what miracles i can learn

Yea, I got the hollow shield in a random drop as well, plus the drake sword. So I am carving up the foot soldiers right, left and center as well. Also found that lift that took me down to the starting point as well so might run a second round and see if I can pick up some loot and stack up on souls for some purchases and level up.

Found the miracle man as well, but
Spoiler
should I join the covenant, or not. I considered it but then didn't press the button because I ain't joining any body just yet. Also freed up the prisoner with that miracle key. Any idea where do we get to learn some magic? I thought that soul arrow fella might drop something but he didn't.
[close]

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 9, 2011, 05:43:33 pm »
yeah the drake sword makes it pretty easy, first time i got past the area where the armored boar is i got battered by one of those knights wearing a cape, with the drake sword you can kill them in a couple of hits

Spoiler
i joined the covenant with the guy near where the crow drops you but haven't learnt any miracles yet

if you go back to the fire at firelink shrine there's some steps that lead down, think they're to the left of that fella who's sat near the fire, go down a couple of sets of steps and you'll find a woman in a cell, if you've got the soul from the church in undead parish (fire keeper's soul?) you can give it to her to reinforce your flask so it restores more health, continue working your way down until you come to an elevator which takes you down to londo ruins, when you enter the ruins run straight ahead upto the wall then follow it to the right, there's some steps that go down and there's a fella in a cell who can forge weapons plus you can buy a catalyst and soul arrow & heavy soul arrow spells
[close]

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2011, 04:01:05 am »
yeah the drake sword makes it pretty easy, first time i got past the area where the armored boar is i got battered by one of those knights wearing a cape, with the drake sword you can kill them in a couple of hits

Spoiler
i joined the covenant with the guy near where the crow drops you but haven't learnt any miracles yet

if you go back to the fire at firelink shrine there's some steps that lead down, think they're to the left of that fella who's sat near the fire, go down a couple of sets of steps and you'll find a woman in a cell, if you've got the soul from the church in undead parish (fire keeper's soul?) you can give it to her to reinforce your flask so it restores more health, continue working your way down until you come to an elevator which takes you down to londo ruins, when you enter the ruins run straight ahead upto the wall then follow it to the right, there's some steps that go down and there's a fella in a cell who can forge weapons plus you can buy a catalyst and soul arrow & heavy soul arrow spells
[close]
Found him mate, thanks. I was avoiding going down there really, thought there might be tough baddies down there so was waiting to level up first.
Spoiler
The graveyard near where the crow drops you has some skeleton undead which are rather tough so be careful when you go around that area. Best to draw them out back where you enter, so in case you die, you can easily get your souls back without having to fight them again.
I've killed that big knight in the borg near that merchant as well, there's a ring behind him. The fatty down the spiral staircase is still too tough though.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:03:22 am by thegoodfella »

Offline NeoAdjuvant

• Kopite
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2011, 11:38:29 pm »
I've killed the Knight guarding the ring, and the fat Knight at the bottom of the spiral staircase. He gives you 3000 souls and a ring that bumps your equip burden up by 50%. He's guarding a door that, *sigh*, leads to even tougher enemies.

I love this game.
But like the jet engine, there's sadly very little this country does better than having the raw materials to do something truly amazing that would benefit the whole of society only to piss it away due to a total lack of long term thinking and/or suspicion of anything European.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2011, 09:06:07 am »
Does anyone know what to do with all the stuff you find yet? I seem to be carrying arournd way too much...wheres stockpile when you need him?

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2011, 11:04:59 am »
and the fat Knight at the bottom of the spiral staircase.

How did you kill the fat bastard? Magic or a sword?

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2011, 07:05:22 pm »
Does anyone know what to do with all the stuff you find yet? I seem to be carrying arournd way too much...wheres stockpile when you need him?

i don't think there's any item burden so you can carry as much shite as you want, the weight only matters if you equip something

it would've been better if there was a storage chest at each fire

i just dump any weapons or armor that i already have then hoard everything else

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2011, 08:33:19 pm »
Wish this was out on PC....
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seņor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2011, 08:54:24 pm »
i don't think there's any item burden so you can carry as much shite as you want, the weight only matters if you equip something

Do you prefer the open world, or did you prefer the hubworld set-up of Demon's Souls. The Nexus was an amazing place to sort your character out and get your breath back

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2011, 09:02:00 pm »

Gotten around killing the gargoyles yet mate? I just rand the bell on top of the tower, quite a fight that was. I'm not sure which direction I should take now, might be the fatty down the spiral stairs or  the graveyard.