Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 281778 times)

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2360 on: March 29, 2021, 05:18:21 pm »
Been seeing quite a bit of this lovely little character since the buds started appearing but difficult to snap because s/he is never still for a moment!

Most likely a chiffchaff?  Very similar to willow warbler but more common and has darker legs (apparently).

click to enlarge

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #2361 on: March 30, 2021, 12:01:48 pm »
I seen two coal tits building a nest yesterday in the park. I hope the leaves on the hedge grow quick as the nest looks exposed and its only about waist high.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2362 on: March 30, 2021, 12:18:28 pm »
Been seeing quite a bit of this lovely little character since the buds started appearing but difficult to snap because s/he is never still for a moment!

Most likely a chiffchaff?  Very similar to willow warbler but more common and has darker legs (apparently).

yes a chiffchaff - if you can't see their legs then listen out for the distinctive 'chiff chaff' call (that earned them their name) as that will help you identify

nice pics btw
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2363 on: March 30, 2021, 01:21:52 pm »
Thanks - have to say I am rubbish at identifying calls.  The sparrows make quite a collective racket which makes it hard to separate out the others. I can just about pick out the robin burbling away, and the blackbirds when they are squaring off, but should probably check out youtube or something to try to get my ear in.

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #2364 on: March 30, 2021, 01:58:55 pm »
Thanks - have to say I am rubbish at identifying calls.  The sparrows make quite a collective racket which makes it hard to separate out the others. I can just about pick out the robin burbling away, and the blackbirds when they are squaring off, but should probably check out youtube or something to try to get my ear in.

I use a decent free ap called BirdNET - really handy for identifying calls when out & about!
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2365 on: March 30, 2021, 02:14:50 pm »
I use a decent free ap called BirdNET - really handy for identifying calls when out & about!
Thanks, this looks excellent - an EU funded research project.  I will look forward to trying it out when the neighbours have finished mowing the lawn.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2366 on: March 30, 2021, 02:19:18 pm »
Funnily enough I was trying to get another picture of the chiffchaff when these two long-tailed tits flew into the frame (literally). They are amazing - the bottom one seems to have a beakful of feather.

click to enlarge
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 02:21:09 pm by Red Raw »

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2367 on: March 30, 2021, 03:14:38 pm »
Funnily enough I was trying to get another picture of the chiffchaff when these two long-tailed tits flew into the frame (literally). They are amazing - the bottom one seems to have a beakful of feather.

lovely characterful birds - those feathers will be for making a nest

they have beautiful nests made combining cobwebs, lichen, petals, small bits of paper and the like (see below)

regarding the bird song - best to get out there and record on your phone the songs and then try and decipher them yourself before letting an app do the hard work - the apps can be a great tool but there's nothing like extending your 'ear' by just listening
it also makes you look knowledgable in front of family and friends

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2368 on: March 30, 2021, 03:52:14 pm »
Amazing  - looks like a xmas card!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2369 on: March 30, 2021, 04:41:23 pm »
Amazing  - looks like a xmas card!

Available in Card Factory from September 2021
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 04:54:34 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2370 on: March 30, 2021, 05:36:47 pm »
Available in Card Factory from September 2021
;D

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #2371 on: March 30, 2021, 07:46:12 pm »

The Kingfisher

A King without need of robe or throne.
No Kingdoms or Palace to call home.
Upon his head, you will find no crown.
No Title to own or to ever hand down.
Striking in colour, be orange or green.
At times, just a blue flash to be seen!
No song to own, just whistle like shrill.
The master of the dive, dagger like bill.
With a very distinctive 'peep peep' call.
The Kingfisher flies away with its haul.

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2372 on: March 30, 2021, 08:07:07 pm »
That's lovely Mike.
There is a little stream just down the road from us, not much more than a ditch really, but there is a kingfisher down there occasionally.  It is such a thrill to see that brilliant blue flash.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2373 on: April 2, 2021, 01:35:00 am »
I seen two coal tits building a nest yesterday in the park. I hope the leaves on the hedge grow quick as the nest looks exposed and its only about waist high.

I have a pair of Coal tits that visit my garden, only very early in the morning before our bird feeder starts to get really busy.
They are lovely little things.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2374 on: April 2, 2021, 01:36:34 am »

click to enlarge

Beautiful, I've only seen them once or twice at our feeder. I guess they get scared off by the starlings, wood pigeons and house sparrows.

Great photos too 👍

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2375 on: April 5, 2021, 05:47:42 pm »
Got a regular linnet visiting the garden this weekend and a bullfinch made an appearance this weekend too.

Been down to the estuary whilst the tide was out today and there's loads of shelduck and redshank feeding on the mudflats.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2021, 05:49:19 pm by reddebs »

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2376 on: April 5, 2021, 06:29:48 pm »
^ nice

meant to post this earlier in the week

saw a common sandpiper on the blimmin leeds/liverpool canal at melling - very rare to see such a bird on the canal

on rivers etc but down on the bloody cut  ;D

anyhoo, he seemed a bit lost and did a quick flit so only got a few blurred images - here's one (he's just clocked me)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #2377 on: April 6, 2021, 11:03:45 am »
I have a pair of Coal tits that visit my garden, only very early in the morning before our bird feeder starts to get really busy.
They are lovely little things.

I think they've moved in as ( with me keeping my distance of course )  there's bird shit all over the branches .

Also. Iam hearing new tweets of a morning outside of ours. Is it in May when the dawn chorus peaks ?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2378 on: April 6, 2021, 07:28:08 pm »
I think they've moved in as ( with me keeping my distance of course )  there's bird shit all over the branches .

Also. Iam hearing new tweets of a morning outside of ours. Is it in May when the dawn chorus peaks ?

International dawn chorus day is the first Sunday in May (2nd May this year) but really anytime from May to the end of June is the best for it.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2379 on: April 9, 2021, 08:51:15 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2380 on: April 9, 2021, 09:09:56 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-56654460

Some beauties there mate.  They must have the patience of a saint to wait for that perfect shot to happen though.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2021, 09:24:00 pm by reddebs »

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2381 on: April 10, 2021, 05:50:33 pm »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2382 on: April 10, 2021, 07:13:52 pm »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2383 on: April 19, 2021, 07:08:42 pm »
As part of our plans for enjoying having a garden we've bought a bird feeding station today and our first visitors were a pair of siskins.

Can't wait to see what else we can attract in the future.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2384 on: April 19, 2021, 09:39:38 pm »

I've got a window feeder on the patio doors - a robin is feeding like crazy at the moment, flying backwards and forth to it's nest.  It's had some huge worms in it's mouth the past few days.

I also have a feeding station with sunflower seeds, suet pellets and fat blocks.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2385 on: April 19, 2021, 10:07:09 pm »
As part of our plans for enjoying having a garden we've bought a bird feeding station today and our first visitors were a pair of siskins.

Can't wait to see what else we can attract in the future.

My sister get those a lot, I've never had them. But they look pretty, just loads and loads of goldfinches here.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2386 on: April 21, 2021, 06:36:54 pm »
My sister get those a lot, I've never had them. But they look pretty, just loads and loads of goldfinches here.  ;D

They're so bright close up too.  Also had a blackcap in the garden yesterday then this morning a red squirrel had found the dish of black sunflower seeds on the feeder and sat there for nearly an hour munching its way through them all pretty much.

At least I got a photo finally, it's usually too quick to get one.

Can't wait to see what else we attract, our closest neighbour has feeders everywhere as he's an avid birder so hopefully we'll get a good variety.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2387 on: April 21, 2021, 07:08:28 pm »
There's a poor buzzard out trying to hunt and getting bombarded and chased off by stroppy crows and as if he hadn't had enough, a pair of lesser black backed gulls have come in to finish the job.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2388 on: April 22, 2021, 06:37:18 pm »
Just saw a goldfinch right outside my kitchen window tucking into something tasty. Had seen a couple in the same spot this morning so hopefully they’ll stick around for a while.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 06:42:33 pm by BIG DICK NICK »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2389 on: April 22, 2021, 06:41:30 pm »
Great to see everyone joining the bird feeding community. Nothing quite beats, sitting there with a drink watching everyone coming down for a feed. We are having constant fights between the blackbirds and magipies at the moment. The blackbirds are just constantly being harassed, which makes me think there must be a nest somewhere around.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2390 on: April 22, 2021, 07:11:17 pm »
I was watching a female Blackbird having a bath in our dog's old water dish this afternoon. I fill it with fresh water each day. The sparrows also love a bath in there too.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2391 on: April 22, 2021, 08:11:58 pm »
There's a poor buzzard out trying to hunt and getting bombarded and chased off by stroppy crows and as if he hadn't had enough, a pair of lesser black backed gulls have come in to finish the job.
Crows are territorial pricks, Debs. Before I even hear the Buzzards I often know they're overheard by the screeching of the Crows.
And its often the same with any Seagulls in the vicinity, they chase Buzzards also, and I'm thinking yus don't even live round here :)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2392 on: April 22, 2021, 08:20:02 pm »
Crows are territorial pricks,

Shoot them, shoot all the Corvids, bar the Jays of course, for obvious reasons  ;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2393 on: April 22, 2021, 08:26:28 pm »
Crows are territorial pricks, Debs. Before I even hear the Buzzards I often know they're overheard by the screeching of the Crows.
And its often the same with any Seagulls in the vicinity, they chase Buzzards also, and I'm thinking yus don't even live round here :)

Not that far away now John being just across Liverpool Bay on Anglesey 😁

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2394 on: April 22, 2021, 08:29:25 pm »
Not that far away now John being just across Liverpool Bay on Anglesey 😁
I meant the Seagulls not you Debs  ;D

Thought you were going to France?

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2395 on: April 22, 2021, 08:35:26 pm »
I meant the Seagulls not you Debs  ;D

Thought you were going to France?

Oh 🤦😂😂

Yep we were but the lockdown in November here and in France meant we ran out of time before Brexit happened but moving somewhere, anywhere that wasn't where we were had to happen for my mental well-being.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2396 on: April 23, 2021, 01:23:42 pm »
Thought I'd trawl through some photos from past holidays (remember them!?) and post some pics of birds I've snapped. Hopefully you all enjoy seeing something a bit different to what we see in our gardens!

Toucan/Hornbill:
That's a Southern Yellow-billed hornbill. Need to go to the Americas for Toucans

Not sure on this fella either. Also South Africa:
A Lilac-breasted Roller, I think.

Lilac by zero zero, on Flickr

I'm sure I've posted this before, so here it is again if you missed it. Love your photos .adam

« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 01:07:14 pm by zero zero »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2397 on: April 23, 2021, 06:10:28 pm »
They are stunning photographs.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2398 on: April 24, 2021, 07:53:35 am »
these photos are all great - it's inspired me to get out this weekend and hopefully share some of my own recent ones next week

wild liverpool - it's more than just a busy bustling metropolitan city full of e-scooters, students and duck-billed platy-lasses

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2399 on: April 24, 2021, 11:18:51 am »
Driving back to Yorkshire yesterday morning on the M60 south of Manchester there was a green parakeet flew across Infront of me 😁