Author Topic: The RAWK Football Coaching Circle  (Read 109786 times)

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The RAWK Football Coaching Circle
« on: February 24, 2010, 02:52:38 am »
This is a place for all the coaches and prospective coaches to discuss ideas, ask questions, mull over the finer points of the game (like how do you stop the 8 year old kid chasing insects during your game), and generally help each other out.

Whether you're an old hand and can offer some assistance to others (Ciao, Senor Benitez :wave ), a parent who volunteers with their kid's team, or a student looking to spend a summer coaching in America, this is the place to find help and advice from others who can help you get your head around things.

If you run an academy, have or work for a coaching company, want to advertise for players for your club, want to find a coach to work with your club, are interested in starting coaching or maybe even just want to figure out why on earth your team can't keep a clean sheet, here's the place to discuss it.

Fire away!
« Last Edit: August 8, 2012, 02:34:55 pm by MichaelA »
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline finchie

• It's the truth I tells ya!... the truth!...
  • Kopite
Re: The RAWK Coaching Circle
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:35:05 pm »
Good idea for a thread.

Under 8 football team. Up until October we were doing well, improving by the week, starting to pass the ball around, lads getting more confident then a new boy arrives who just can't play. He's a happy lad, tries but at  most gets 2 weak kicks per 30 minute game. I wouldn't want to write off anyone at this age but we play 7-a-side and  we are always effectively playing with one less player. The result is we are losing whenever this lad plays and he's a regular. For the sake of the rest of the players should I ask this lad (via his parents) to stop attending? I really am torn on this.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:37:24 pm by finchie »

Offline wardides

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A FUCKING BEACH BALL
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 02:04:24 pm »
Not so much about what im doing at the minute but what i want to do.Currently im coaching an U10s team.Im 19 and I play football with the senior team at the same club.Its something i really really enjoy doing and wish i could do it every night/day of the week really.I was wondering if theres any coaches or anything out there who could help me with a few things?Currently unemployed at the minute and i dont start college til september.However im not sure what i want to do and college is just like a stop gap basically.Id love to get into coaching at any level.IS there any course i can do to improve?Also id love to go and coach in the states but im sure theres alot more to it then just applying.By the way im in Ireland!
Bet 1, Lyon v B Munich...No Hat Trick @ 1.03.
Little does he know, he's left the Beatles and joined fucking Razorlight.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »
I'm a qualified coach with a CRB but can't find a job at the moment, which is crap.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:24:04 pm »
I used to help coach my lad's team when he was an U8 and refereed most of the matches. Packed it in because of the arsehole parents you have to deal with and he got fed up with it anyway. He still plays but just friendlies and I just watch.

I didn't do any coaching courses, just tried to encourage them to have fun and be as positive as possible. They really enjoyed it, won most of their matches and didn't get too downhearted when they lost, even though one loss was a right thrashing.

Some of the parents spoil it though, total idiots.
Legacy fan

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 06:06:30 am »
Not so much about what im doing at the minute but what i want to do.Currently im coaching an U10s team.Im 19 and I play football with the senior team at the same club.Its something i really really enjoy doing and wish i could do it every night/day of the week really.I was wondering if theres any coaches or anything out there who could help me with a few things?Currently unemployed at the minute and i dont start college til september.However im not sure what i want to do and college is just like a stop gap basically.Id love to get into coaching at any level.IS there any course i can do to improve?Also id love to go and coach in the states but im sure theres alot more to it then just applying.By the way im in Ireland!

Sports science? But make really, really sure coaching is what you want to do and be obsessed about improving at it because a sports science degree does not have an 'open' scope. Ever thought about studying overseas? They let paddies in without much fuss into Australia; the Aussies have a fantastic set-up for sports science, both in terms of the number of universities that offer the course, the education (took a short course there) as well as job options.

Only drawback might be that 'soccer' is not a major sport there, hence you won't be getting top level coach coaching if you try to do your football badges there. But I suppose you could always get the sports science degree done, get the background, work on your football coaching on the side and then apply seriously for jobs in England.

Anyway, just putting it out there. I'm sure you'll consider all angles. All the best.

Offline wardides

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A FUCKING BEACH BALL
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 06:22:00 am »
Sports science? But make really, really sure coaching is what you want to do and be obsessed about improving at it because a sports science degree does not have an 'open' scope. Ever thought about studying overseas? They let paddies in without much fuss into Australia; the Aussies have a fantastic set-up for sports science, both in terms of the number of universities that offer the course, the education (took a short course there) as well as job options.

Only drawback might be that 'soccer' is not a major sport there, hence you won't be getting top level coach coaching if you try to do your football badges there. But I suppose you could always get the sports science degree done, get the background, work on your football coaching on the side and then apply seriously for jobs in England.

Anyway, just putting it out there. I'm sure you'll consider all angles. All the best.

Cheers for the reply lad..Ye i wanted to do sports science but i didnt do a science subject when leaving school so couldnt get into college over here for that.Plus theres no real emphasis on anything like that in the course anyway as i checked it out and its mostly just physio/pe teacher sort of road..Id love to study overseas,and planning on moving to australia before im 25 hopefully so that would be ideal but its the cost of it all i supose..Somewhere like the states/australia would be ideal for me.Theres a course over here you can do with FAS that you do for the year and get paid like 100 squid a quick to do it.You get all your coaching badges through it in all but its run arseways.First of all you have to apply along with a letter of recomandation.Not so bad.Then if they like the application you get invited for a trial with a couple of hundred people and they choose it on footballing ability.Basically prob wont touch you if youre playing just sunday league level..Found that out the hard way even though i was bloody playing with my towns youth team for the 6 years before!

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 10:02:49 am »
i would like to go into coaching when im older (one of many things i would like to do) but i have no experience whatsoever. how do you start off?
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 10:45:22 am »
"With coaching experience spanning over five years and three continents..."

Go on, Col...  :D

Didn't know you ended up in Oz, have applied for jobs in Boise, Idaho and Denver, Colorado, myself...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 10:57:50 am »
Good idea for a thread.

Under 8 football team. Up until October we were doing well, improving by the week, starting to pass the ball around, lads getting more confident then a new boy arrives who just can't play. He's a happy lad, tries but at  most gets 2 weak kicks per 30 minute game. I wouldn't want to write off anyone at this age but we play 7-a-side and  we are always effectively playing with one less player. The result is we are losing whenever this lad plays and he's a regular. For the sake of the rest of the players should I ask this lad (via his parents) to stop attending? I really am torn on this.

Football is never about results at that age...never. It's about involvement, fun, exercise, and technical development. What a lot of parents and coaches inadvertently do is heap a load of pressure on their 7 year old kid by focussing on results as opposed to what they've learnt and what new skills they can show. If a kid or team then goes a week or two without winning, then the fun goes. If the fun goes, you lose the child from the game at the end of the season, potentially forever.

My advice would be two-fold... firstly, don't keep a record of the scores, not even during the game. The kids might do themselves, but if they ask, just tell them it doesn't matter. Sit them down at the end of the game and ask firstly if they've had fun (which should be a yes!), and second if any of them have put into practice the dribbling/shooting/passing you may have worked on in training.

It's far better to develop the kids and let them enjoy themselves than focus on winning and giving the ball to the kid who's a year or two ahead in their football development. The role of a coach at such ages is to help develop the tools the children can use to become better players later in life.

So following from that, I'd embrace the weaker kid, and make every session fun for them. See it not as a hinderance, but as a challenge - can you, as the coach, help the child progress to the stage where they're closer to par with the rest of the group? If you can, I can guarantee that you'll have done something more rewarding than winning a few games in a U8 league.

What experience / badges do you currently have? I'd recommend taking on as much learning as possible - I'm not sure how the FAI works, but the English FA, aside from their standard courses, youth courses etc, also have a lot of online courses which help explain the pathways into the industry. As for working abroad, I can only speak from experience - the FA Level 1 was sufficient for me to work in America in 2006/2007, and whilst you'll spend your time coaching young kids and playing games, I'd recommend it to anyone. It's a great way to spend a few months, and can lead to a lot more.

I'm a qualified coach with a CRB but can't find a job at the moment, which is crap.

Where are you? What qualifications / experience do you have?

Cheers for the reply lad..Ye i wanted to do sports science but i didnt do a science subject when leaving school so couldnt get into college over here for that.Plus theres no real emphasis on anything like that in the course anyway as i checked it out and its mostly just physio/pe teacher sort of road..Id love to study overseas,and planning on moving to australia before im 25 hopefully so that would be ideal but its the cost of it all i supose..Somewhere like the states/australia would be ideal for me.Theres a course over here you can do with FAS that you do for the year and get paid like 100 squid a quick to do it.You get all your coaching badges through it in all but its run arseways.First of all you have to apply along with a letter of recomandation.Not so bad.Then if they like the application you get invited for a trial with a couple of hundred people and they choose it on footballing ability.Basically prob wont touch you if youre playing just sunday league level..Found that out the hard way even though i was bloody playing with my towns youth team for the 6 years before!

Depending on your location, you can actually get football coaching apprenticeships which take you through your NVQ in football coaching up to Level 3 (which is nonsense in all honesty), and your FA Level 2 course, and they'll normally assist you in finding somewhere to coach during the length of the course too. You don't need to be able to play to any great standard, you need to want to be a part of it all. If you're down Liverpool way, send me a PM.

i would like to go into coaching when im older (one of many things i would like to do) but i have no experience whatsoever. how do you start off?

How old are you? The best way to start if you're young is to help out with a team at your local club. If you know anyone who coahes a team, or know any young players / parents of young players, than just have an ask around to see if any of their teams wouldn't mind you helping out for a season.

If you decide you like it, then enrol yourself on the FA Level 1 course (normally about £80) - it's an easy course to complete, but covers essential information such as session delivery, how to interact with the kids, and you'll pick up a few useful games in there too.

Offline andrew1978

• Kopite
  • The Truth we all knew now known by all. RIP 96
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 12:09:30 pm »
Does anyone have any good tips for improving a 10yr old keepers kicking. My son is very highly regarded throughout his league and ive been 'tapped up' by rival teams. He has amazing positioning and catching skills for a 10yr old but he can struggle on the ground sometimes.

All tips welcome
Where once we watched King Kenny Play.....And Could He Play

Offline finchie

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 01:28:24 pm »
My advice would be two-fold... firstly, don't keep a record of the scores, not even during the game. The kids might do themselves, but if they ask, just tell them it doesn't matter. Sit them down at the end of the game and ask firstly if they've had fun (which should be a yes!), and second if any of them have put into practice the dribbling/shooting/passing you may have worked on in training.
Your advice will be heeded-no mention at all about the result from now on. Thanks.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 02:50:43 pm »

become an assistant coach at any local level

best to start early

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 03:14:19 pm »
Football is never about results at that age...never. It's about involvement, fun, exercise, and technical development. What a lot of parents and coaches inadvertently do is heap a load of pressure on their 7 year old kid by focussing on results as opposed to what they've learnt and what new skills they can show. If a kid or team then goes a week or two without winning, then the fun goes. If the fun goes, you lose the child from the game at the end of the season, potentially forever.

It's far better to develop the kids and let them enjoy themselves than focus on winning and giving the ball to the kid who's a year or two ahead in their football development. The role of a coach at such ages is to help develop the tools the children can use to become better players later in life.

So following from that, I'd embrace the weaker kid, and make every session fun for them. See it not as a hinderance, but as a challenge - can you, as the coach, help the child progress to the stage where they're closer to par with the rest of the group? If you can, I can guarantee that you'll have done something more rewarding than winning a few games in a U8 league.

Agree. Focus on the fun part. Some will be aware of the scores, some won't. Don't destroy then fun!

I'd also suggest that you have them try different positions, if you have that. Don't tell anyone they are a defender or a striker at that age. They need to learn every part of the game.

Apart from that, focus on the basics in training. How to pass a ball, receive it and run with it. Play 3 vs 3 in training so everyone is involved at all times.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 11:49:12 am »

Didn't know you ended up in Oz, have applied for jobs in Boise, Idaho and Denver, Colorado, myself...

I missed this when replying before, mate.

What jobs have you been looking at... is it high school / college stuff, club DOC stuff, youth coaching etc?

If I have problems getting my visa extended here, I think I'll be a DoC somewhere over your side of the pond by the end of the year.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 11:54:57 am »
Good idea for a thread.

Stick him in nets, he'll soon get fucked off with it and leave himself.

Offline finchie

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 12:08:05 pm »
Stick him in nets, he'll soon get fucked off with it and leave himself.
;D

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 05:32:44 pm »
This is a place for all the coaches and prospective coaches to discuss ideas, ask questions, mull over the finer points of the game (like how do you stop the 8 year old kid chasing insects during your game), and generally help each other out.

Whether you're an old hand and can offer some assistance to others (Ciao, Senor Benitez :wave), a parent who volunteers with their kid's team, or a student looking to spend a summer coaching in America, this is the place to find help and advice from others who can help you get your head around things.

If you run an academy, have or work for a coaching company, want to advertise for players for your club, want to find a coach to work with your club, are interested in starting coaching or maybe even just want to figure out why on earth your team can't keep a clean sheet, here's the place to discuss it.

Fire away!

I have done my Football Leader's Course and the FAW/UEFA 'C' badge and was looking to do the 'B' licence but the club I was coaching for didn't want to go through the hassle of applying for the funding so it never happened.

I started a team at U6 and took them through to U10s before knocking it on the head when my son got upset with all of the abuse I was getting from parents who thought their little Jonny was the best thing since sliced bread.
It took a while but I got the kids playing some lovely football and we ended up a very successful side.

To anyone looking to get involved make sure you connect with the kids and keep their interest and enthusiasm levels high and they will enjoy it and learn from you.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 05:35:31 pm »
I missed this when replying before, mate.

What jobs have you been looking at... is it high school / college stuff, club DOC stuff, youth coaching etc?

If I have problems getting my visa extended here, I think I'll be a DoC somewhere over your side of the pond by the end of the year.
applying for DOC jobs myself, would best prefer running an Academy, U-8/U-10.

if you come stateside and get a DOC job, give us a bell...  :D

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 11:21:43 pm »
applying for DOC jobs myself, would best prefer running an Academy, U-8/U-10.

if you come stateside and get a DOC job, give us a bell...  :D

Haha, will do mate. One of the boys I've been working with for the last few years has just gotten a DoC job in Hartford, CT, and another has just gotten the U19s 'B' Academy Team job with Valerenga in Norway. The jobs are out there, it's all about finding them I guess.

I'm a little frustrated that my work with the local elite club won't warrrant an automatic visa exension here, and neither will the fact I've also got my own company set up - got to keep exploring other options!

Are you willing to relocate to get the job you're after?

Also, as you have the passport... could you not look into setting up your own academy?

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 12:47:04 am »
Haha, will do mate. One of the boys I've been working with for the last few years has just gotten a DoC job in Hartford, CT, and another has just gotten the U19s 'B' Academy Team job with Valerenga in Norway. The jobs are out there, it's all about finding them I guess.

I'm a little frustrated that my work with the local elite club won't warrrant an automatic visa exension here, and neither will the fact I've also got my own company set up - got to keep exploring other options!

Are you willing to relocate to get the job you're after?

Also, as you have the passport... could you not look into setting up your own academy?

right now i'm in southern alabama, Mobile, to be precise, and it's the epitome of all Euro slurs about Yanks not understanding football.  College gridiron is the only game in town, end of.  so i won't be starting an academy here any time soon.

as to relocating, yes, please.  have licence(s), will travel.

At what club in Hartford does your mate work; football is fairly important in the northeast and Connecticut has a few renowned youth clubs.

Offline wardides

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A FUCKING BEACH BALL
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 12:51:00 am »
Right so going to apply for my first coaching badge..Not down my way til april though..FAI Kick start 1..From what i can see its Kick start 1 and kick start 2 and then theres the youth certificate and a few others..Not sure what the story is completely but could any of you inform me of the best way of going about going abroad to coach.For the likes of going to the states/Australia what would have to be done like as in experience?What sort of club would i need to be at coaching to be able to go over and find a job over there?

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 12:57:21 am »
right now i'm in southern alabama, Mobile, to be precise, and it's the epitome of all Euro slurs about Yanks not understanding football.  College gridiron is the only game in town, end of.  so i won't be starting an academy here any time soon.

as to relocating, yes, please.  have licence(s), will travel.

At what club in Hartford does your mate work; football is fairly important in the northeast and Connecticut has a few renowned youth clubs.

I can't remember where he will be, I'll ask again. I think I'm in the running for a DoC job in CT, although as yet it's not 100% confirmed the position will materialise. Being a DoC in CT or MA at the moment is second choice behind getting another visa here, despite having better job prospects... I love the North East, but I just want to get residency in Sydney first really!

Where have you been looking for the positions? I'm finding it difficult to find the right sort of jobs, aside from on the NSCAA website.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 12:36:01 pm »
I can't remember where he will be, I'll ask again. I think I'm in the running for a DoC job in CT, although as yet it's not 100% confirmed the position will materialise. Being a DoC in CT or MA at the moment is second choice behind getting another visa here, despite having better job prospects... I love the North East, but I just want to get residency in Sydney first really!

Where have you been looking for the positions? I'm finding it difficult to find the right sort of jobs, aside from on the NSCAA website.

in addition to NSCAA, I use the US Youth Soccer Employment page...

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/administrators/Employment_Opportunities.asp

you looking at the Western United DOC spot?  it's in the NE and is supposed to be a decent club.  not certain i can convince the Missus to move up there, but needs be and all that.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 12:46:45 pm »
in addition to NSCAA, I use the US Youth Soccer Employment page...

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/administrators/Employment_Opportunities.asp

you looking at the Western United DOC spot?  it's in the NE and is supposed to be a decent club.  not certain i can convince the Missus to move up there, but needs be and all that.

I looked into the Western United one, they seem to be asking a lot in terms of License, playing and coaching experience, and as I've not finished my B license yet I doubt I'd get it. Interestingly, the job has recently been taken off the NSCAA website, although they might have just run the course with the advert as opposed to having filled the position.

It looks like a very good opportunity for the right person, but I'm not sure I'm in a position to apply for it just yet.

Offline finchie

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 03:58:54 pm »
As a result of this advice I gave that player the Player of the Week award this morning-he was absolutely beaming!

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 08:08:58 pm »
As a result of this advice I gave that player the Player of the Week award this morning-he was absolutely beaming!

Good man... he'll never forget that.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 08:23:59 pm »
To my under 8s today:

Me: "Now remember we play like Liverpool do, pass it then move into space, pass and move, pass and move."
Lad: "That's not how Liverpool play"
Me: "Yeah but it's how we used to"
Lad: "Like Barcelona then"
Me: "Yeah like Barcelona"

They're not soft.
4-1  ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 09:35:44 pm »
To my under 8s today:

Me: "Now remember we play like Liverpool do, pass it then move into space, pass and move, pass and move."

They're not soft.
4-1  ;D

how much of that cheekiness did they pick up from the manager, i wonder?  :D

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 09:41:45 pm »
To my under 8s today:

They're not soft.
4-1  ;D

Haha, that's brilliant! :D

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2010, 09:45:34 pm »
how much of that cheekiness did they pick up from the manager, i wonder?  :D
I'm assistant, I manage next years under 8s but took full charge of a team for the first time today.
Ended the team's losing run of about 8 games by keeping it really simple, told the kids to stay in their positions and pass the ball, and that they can;t shoot unless they're in the area (as they don't have the power to shoot from outside).

It's a shame I'll lose so many good players when the team I'm with moves on and I drop down to full manager next year but I get to take 2 of the best with me next year as they're a year younger than everyone else on the team and it's league rules that you play with your own age when the opportunity is there.

The best thing I've found is that because everyone on our team wants to play centre forward I tell them I'll change it round when the match is won.  So 3-1 up today and the centre half goes up top, defensive mid switches with attacking mid etc. 
I hate seeing a side that is doing well rotated about at half time so everyone gets to play where they like because coaches think it will make the kids happy, it happens with nearly every team in our league, the kids are happy when they're winning.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:48:25 pm by Degs »

royhendo

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2010, 10:24:51 pm »
Apparently they're bringing out some swanky new software on the UEFA 'training ground' section. Not there yet mind, but still good watchin. This thread's gonna be class :)

http://en.archive.uefa.com/trainingground/index.html#34005

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2010, 11:40:11 pm »
I'm assistant, I manage next years under 8s but took full charge of a team for the first time today.

any chance the manager had kidney stones and needed to miss the match?  it'd be more fun if i could think of winding up the U-8 equivalent of Sammy Lee, as it were... :wave

congrats on getting it right and all that, although i will add that the notion of position is, and should be, a very elastic concept for U-8s.  if you've got them to pass the ball, you're doing well.  getting them to play the correct foot would be an interesting and important next step...

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2010, 11:55:12 pm »
any chance the manager had kidney stones and needed to miss the match?  it'd be more fun if i could think of winding up the U-8 equivalent of Sammy Lee, as it were... :wave

congrats on getting it right and all that, although i will add that the notion of position is, and should be, a very elastic concept for U-8s.  if you've got them to pass the ball, you're doing well.  getting them to play the correct foot would be an interesting and important next step...
Yeah it's not amazingly rigid but at the start of the season our formation was basically 1 keeper and 7 lads run wherever the ball goes.
Now near the end of their first season at this point we now have 2 defenders, a defensive midfielder (the advice he revels in is "be Mascherano"), a "midfielder", 2 wingers and a striker.

They do well to stay in position and when they start to drift as long as there is no big gaps I'm fine with that, I don't want to be barking at them to get in position after all.

The thing is though I only started this year and I heard alot of people saying the old cliches of let the kids have fun, don't be over bearing, let them run about at will, it's not the winning it's the taking part etc.
It's taken a while but I learnt through observing this team and how the manager worked it that the worst thing for the kids is going home on a Sunday afternoon having lost.  If they keep losing they won't come back.

So while it would be nice to say go out and have fun I do think it's right to teach them to hold shape, to pass, and to move because at the end of the day if our team doesn't do that the opposition will, we'll lose, and the kids will stop coming.

The only problem I have when I take the team on my own is that both of our wingers are great but they're both right footed.  Like you say telling them to use the correct foot can be difficult, the one on the left is coming to terms with coming inside to shoot.  It's great to watch them develop their game and in a few season's they'll both be better for it, but to them at the minute they're both wanting to play on the right.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 1, 2010, 01:23:58 am »

Just going back to this, mate... is it the Skyline job you applied for in Denver? That looks like a very interesting proposition...

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #35 on: March 1, 2010, 01:44:16 am »
I'm assistant coach to an under 9s team, really enjoying it.  We won 6-1 today, without our star player.  Can really see some of the training sessions we've been doing coming into practice in games.  Working on getting attackers to attack the ball, defenders to stay ball-side of the attacker etc.  Taking full charge when the gaffer goes away in april.  I can see they're all really enjoying their football though, which takes me back to when I was a kid.  It's really rewarding, and although I don't get paid, it is worth getting up on a sunday morning for.
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 1, 2010, 02:26:30 am »
Col, you're running a business? Christ. Hit me up a PM and tell me about it, and whether you want someone to write press releases etc for you.  ;D

I miss coaching a lot. I coached university girls last year - we won the league and got to the cup final, 2-0 down at half-time, 3-2 up with 15 to go and just ran out of steam and lost 4-3. Them days are over, sadly.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #37 on: March 1, 2010, 07:49:57 am »
Yeah it's not amazingly rigid but at the start of the season our formation was basically 1 keeper and 7 lads run wherever the ball goes.
Now near the end of their first season at this point we now have 2 defenders, a defensive midfielder (the advice he revels in is "be Mascherano"), a "midfielder", 2 wingers and a striker.

They do well to stay in position and when they start to drift as long as there is no big gaps I'm fine with that, I don't want to be barking at them to get in position after all.

The thing is though I only started this year and I heard alot of people saying the old cliches of let the kids have fun, don't be over bearing, let them run about at will, it's not the winning it's the taking part etc.
It's taken a while but I learnt through observing this team and how the manager worked it that the worst thing for the kids is going home on a Sunday afternoon having lost.  If they keep losing they won't come back.

So while it would be nice to say go out and have fun I do think it's right to teach them to hold shape, to pass, and to move because at the end of the day if our team doesn't do that the opposition will, we'll lose, and the kids will stop coming.

The only problem I have when I take the team on my own is that both of our wingers are great but they're both right footed.  Like you say telling them to use the correct foot can be difficult, the one on the left is coming to terms with coming inside to shoot.  It's great to watch them develop their game and in a few season's they'll both be better for it, but to them at the minute they're both wanting to play on the right.

With so much made about results in grown up football and with kids having so much access to football on the TV they are so much more aware of the difference between winning and losing. It is difficult trying to get the balance right between the development of their skills and their perception of wanting to win all the time.
I used to get my lot to think about how they performed and I used to tell that that performance was more important than the result eg "It's better to have played really well and lose by a goal than to play badly and win  6-0. I never, ever let the boys score more than 3 or 4 goals in a match and would instruct them to knock the ball around instead. I remember one kid telling his mother off because she had a go at him for passing backwards instead of shooting. It got them all comfortable with the ball and at times we could keep possession for ever.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #38 on: March 1, 2010, 10:46:33 am »
Just going back to this, mate... is it the Skyline job you applied for in Denver? That looks like a very interesting proposition...

looked at that one, not certain i'd like living in Denver, to be honest.  what also put me off a bit was the lengthy references to coaching a school side and working with local schools.  school soccer stateside sucks, if i might be a bit alliterative.  a mess and morass of gridiron coaches drawing an extra paltry salary by coaching a sport about which they know nothing.  and why would a local soccer club support schools football?

smacks of an overactive Board.  dangerous.

all that said, the money looks good, and the club is a good size.  its sides are complete crap in Colorado soccer; Colorado Rush and Rapids among others get all the good players.  i'd be interested to know if the expectations for new a new DOC is to compete with those far more successful clubs.

might still apply, but there are reservations.

thus far, i've applied for the job in Slidell, it's about two hours west on I-10 and thus very convenient.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 1, 2010, 11:07:35 am »
looked at that one, not certain i'd like living in Denver, to be honest.  what also put me off a bit was the lengthy references to coaching a school side and working with local schools.  school soccer stateside sucks, if i might be a bit alliterative.  a mess and morass of gridiron coaches drawing an extra paltry salary by coaching a sport about which they know nothing.  and why would a local soccer club support schools football?

smacks of an overactive Board.  dangerous.

all that said, the money looks good, and the club is a good size.  its sides are complete crap in Colorado soccer; Colorado Rush and Rapids among others get all the good players.  i'd be interested to know if the expectations for new a new DOC is to compete with those far more successful clubs.

might still apply, but there are reservations.

thus far, i've applied for the job in Slidell, it's about two hours west on I-10 and thus very convenient.

Have you got any previous DoC experience? I'm sure I've asked before, but what experience do you have?