Author Topic: Demon's Souls  (Read 16429 times)

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
Re: Demon's Souls
« Reply #120 on: September 8, 2010, 10:49:01 am »
Just ordered this off Play for £29.99.

Hope this famed difficulty lives up to its promise  :lickin

I'm finding the difficulty really balanced.  It is tough, but not unfairly so.  Whenever I die (and there has been lots of times) it's because I done something to deserve it.  It's really addictive, learning from your mistakes and then getting further each time.

I'm not prone to hyperbole, but it's one of the best games I've played and certainly my favourite game of this gen.

Offline NeoAdjuvant

• Kopite
« Reply #121 on: September 8, 2010, 12:56:19 pm »
I'm not prone to hyperbole, but it's one of the best games I've played and certainly my favourite game of this gen.

Is that so? Fantastic.

My favourite game this gen has been Fallout 3. I loved the exploration and 'do whatever you want, whenever you want' style. Hopefully this can do the same.
But like the jet engine, there's sadly very little this country does better than having the raw materials to do something truly amazing that would benefit the whole of society only to piss it away due to a total lack of long term thinking and/or suspicion of anything European.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #122 on: September 8, 2010, 01:08:30 pm »

Is that so? Fantastic.

My favourite game this gen has been Fallout 3. I loved the exploration and 'do whatever you want, whenever you want' style. Hopefully this can do the same.

Nothing like Fallout mate, this is very linear and small. 1 small hub and 5 small ish worlds with no real exploration.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2010, 10:57:41 pm »
Started playing this today after a long time spend beating around it's hairy japanese bush.
It's not 'difficult' in a hard-to accomplish or understand and unfair way.
I'd say it's pretty honest actually. After dying for 5th time, every time I got a bit further and every time I died because I went for a cocky solution, rather then a cautios and smart one.
I like it so far, will report after I spend some more time with it.

Offline NeoAdjuvant

• Kopite
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2010, 10:56:57 am »
I'd say it's pretty honest actually. After dying for 5th time, every time I got a bit further and every time I died because I went for a cocky solution, rather then a cautios and smart one.

This.

After fucking around and trying to find weapons, i evetually managed to find a Scimitar, and i'm happy with it. Only done the first level so far, but managed to get all the items underneath those pesky dragons bar the one nearest the blue dragon. I was heading into the first boss with 7000+ souls, so spent the first 5 minutes running around like a pussy. Don't really know the game mechanics, but I guessed that, because it was all slimy and hiding in the dark, it didn't like light. So, 10 firebombs later and that fucker went down.

After getting back to the nexus with about 10000 souls, spent all my shard things on upgrading my Scimitar 3 times, and upgraded my stats. Went for Strength and Vitality mainly.

What class did everyone start out with? Went for royalty myself.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 11:14:43 pm by NeoAdjuvant »
But like the jet engine, there's sadly very little this country does better than having the raw materials to do something truly amazing that would benefit the whole of society only to piss it away due to a total lack of long term thinking and/or suspicion of anything European.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2010, 11:02:29 am »
I went for the Wanderer as he seemed balanced, but now I think I should have went for specialization in something rather then overall good but great in nothing.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2010, 11:49:03 pm »
I went for magician..... never ended up using any spells in the game, apart from the odd sniping.

A good tip for beginners I found was getting the theif's ring, learning to backstab and farming those red eye knights in the first level.  they drop enough souls for 1 level each early on. 

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2010, 09:51:14 am »
Such a great game.
After long and hard afternoon of getting used to everything I finally slayed my first demon and opened up other worlds.
I take back my comment about the Wanderer, it's not easy, but once you familiarize yourself he's as effective as anyone.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2010, 01:22:30 pm »
never used the wanderer but it's supposed to be one of the hardest classes to use, especially for new players as they have low health and weak armour so you've gotta get used to dodging

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2010, 12:19:41 pm »
That pretty much expained itself after dying 10 times in a row :)
I've developed a taste for dodge rolling to behind the enemy and then backstabbing them.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2010, 01:47:59 pm »
Did anyone ever use shield bash L2 often?  I used it a lot during the scrubs in the first level but as the stakes rose higher I just never used it at all.  It's a skill but think the consequences were too high to use it loads.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2010, 01:59:41 pm »
Stopped using it by the end of 1-1.
As you said, too risky of a tactic that requires practice and very good knowing of opponents timing and animations involved.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2010, 02:04:11 pm »
not really, i only use it on the dragon god level where you need it to smash the rubble

like you say the risks are too high as it uses a lot of endurance leaving you vunerable if you get the timing wrong, might be useful with a knight/temple knight though

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2010, 11:16:16 am »

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #134 on: February 2, 2011, 11:42:51 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsrNWNc2VCA&feature=player_embedded

New gameplay trailer of Dark Souls, gotta say it looks mighty similar to Demon's Souls, even the castle and that swamp where you got poisoned all the time is in it.

Loved the game though, can't wait for this.  Hopefully it'll be a bit more harder.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 3, 2011, 06:06:07 pm »
just hope it gets released in europe at the same time as the usa & asia

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2011, 04:11:22 pm »
there's a glitch which allows you to dupe consumable items, stones and souls

you need either evacuate or shard of archstone (can be bought from patches) equipped

make sure what you want to dupe is in your inventory, go and talk to baldwin and open the "buy items" menu, select something then when it asks how many you want walk away from him

when baldwin's menu closes either cast evacuate or use a shard of archstone, when the option asking "return to nexus" appears press start to close it then go and talk to thomas

deposit whatever you want to dupe then the evacuate/archstone shard animation should start and you'll appear at the other side of the nexus, if you check your inventory you should have 1 more of whatever item you deposited, now go over to thomas and he should have 102 of them

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2011, 06:24:13 pm »
Why'd you want to do that?

Online rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2011, 06:28:22 pm »
Why'd you want to do that?

If you want to cheat aka if you're a pussy. This could completely fuck the black phantom system up

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2011, 06:39:45 pm »
This could completely fuck the black phantom system up

not really as if you stay at a low slv you'll only be invaded by black phantoms in your range, if you do cheat and get up to slv 712 then you get what you deserve if you get invaded by genuine high level black phantoms and get your arse handed to you

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2011, 06:49:41 pm »
Only ever met someone online in that annoying boss thing, the yellow monk and met stupidly high level characters with all the top spells and powerful weapons.  Think I had a crappy shield and sword and just couldn't win.  had to wait for ages to fight the npc boss instead of a real player.  Can't say I was fond of the online fighting, never felt balanced.

Online rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2011, 07:09:40 am »
Starting this again tonight. I'll make sure not to let (story spoiler)
Spoiler
Yurt the Silent c*nt kill my vital allies this time
[close]

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2011, 01:24:55 pm »
I killed him as soon as I met him for his cool armour.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2011, 01:33:13 pm »
After extensive playing I can finally conclude that in essence this game is more of a ruthless, old school platformer then a rpg.
It just is. It's about finger dexterity, patience and learning the levels more then anything else. Mistakes are so costly they soon mould you into a motherfucking ninja (if you don't give up like I did twice).

Games like this are something I'd leave as a legacy to my kid, personality builders.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2011, 01:35:04 pm »
Haven't played this in ages, only managed to get past the first boss fight and haven't put the disc back in since, don't know why because I love this game.

One thing I think would have made it better though is 2-4 player online Co-Op instead of just seeing other peoples spirits.

Online rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #145 on: May 31, 2011, 06:03:11 pm »
Haven't played this in ages, only managed to get past the first boss fight and haven't put the disc back in since, don't know why because I love this game.

One thing I think would have made it better though is 2-4 player online Co-Op instead of just seeing other peoples spirits.

You can play 2-player co-op if you summon a blue phantom. Its difficult to summon people you know though. Its a massive help for those black phantoms and bosses

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2011, 06:05:25 pm »
You can play 2-player co-op if you summon a blue phantom. Its difficult to summon people you know though. Its a massive help for those black phantoms and bosses

Hasn't that person got to be on the exact same spot that you are in order for it to work though? or something ridiculous like that?

Would be a lot easier if you just open up a small menu through your inventory to select a friends list and invite them into your world IMO, if they did that, it'd make the game a lot better, just don't allow more than 2-4 friends into a world otherwise it'd become to easy.

Online rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2011, 06:11:09 pm »
Even with 2 it becomes easy if the other guy knows what he's doing

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2011, 06:14:47 pm »
Even with 2 it becomes easy if the other guy knows what he's doing

Not if they automatically crank the difficulty up when there's an extra player joining, hopefully they'll do it in the next one but I somehow doubt it.

Online rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2011, 10:26:10 pm »
Damn this game's good

Question: How come in the Pantheon, there are people with 999999999 souls? How do you do the glitch? Why would you do the glitch?

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2011, 10:51:21 pm »
You can only do a glitch on a 1.00 Asian version of the game.
Why? Why not if you wan't to ruin a perfectly balanced and fair game.

Online rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #151 on: June 1, 2011, 01:11:41 pm »
Completely cheesed the Tower Knight with Soul Arrow :P

Having a lot of fun, not sure whether to do 1-3, 2-1 or 3-1 next.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: June 1, 2011, 01:53:42 pm »
Completely cheesed the Tower Knight with Soul Arrow :P

Having a lot of fun, not sure whether to do 1-3, 2-1 or 3-1 next.

can't go into 1-3 until you've beaten the final demon in one of the other worlds

Offline NeoAdjuvant

• Kopite
« Reply #153 on: June 1, 2011, 02:07:36 pm »
Great game.

Kind of ruins the fun when you know that

Spoiler
Firestorm can kill every boss in what? 3 hits max?
[close]

Kind of ruins it for me now, 'cos there's no reason not to use it.

Great game tho. If only getting shards/chunks/etc wasn't such a ballache.

Online rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #154 on: June 2, 2011, 04:48:31 pm »
2-1 is very easy, especially when you use the wall exploit against the Armor Spider

Online thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #155 on: June 5, 2011, 06:33:18 pm »
Got a question regarding dying, what's the best way forward? Forget about it and just keep playing. I ask because the character leveled down into a soul and I'm wondering if that's a big loss or not and will I level up again soon?

Online rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #156 on: June 5, 2011, 06:52:18 pm »
Got a question regarding dying, what's the best way forward? Forget about it and just keep playing. I ask because the character leveled down into a soul and I'm wondering if that's a big loss or not and will I level up again soon?

You go back to body form when you kill an archdemon or use a stone (can;t remember what its called) The stone description say 'resurrects character to body form' or something similar.

It doesn't matter too much unless you want that extra slice of health, sometimes I die on purpose to prevent invasions.

As for me, I just killed Maneater (exploited the first one) then got my arse handed to me by the (spoiler for 3-2)
Spoiler
Old Monk's summoned phantom
[close]

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: June 5, 2011, 07:34:31 pm »

i played most of the game in soul form, you have less health but this isn't a problem if you wear the cling ring and you also do more damage than in body form, also like rowan_d said you can't be invaded while in soul form

you automatically get your body back when you beat any boss demon or if you use a stone of ephemeral eyes, it's not that important really unless you're trying to get the platinum trophy then you'll need to manipulate world tendency to get certain events or items

Online thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #158 on: June 5, 2011, 10:31:10 pm »
unless you're trying to get the platinum trophy then you'll need to manipulate world tendency to get certain events or items

Okay, now what's world tendency? ;D

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: June 5, 2011, 11:28:59 pm »
Okay, now what's world tendency? ;D

it's a bit long winded to describe so have a read of this, there's also links to see what events happen in each world with either pure white or pure black

it only matters if you want to get the platinum trophy though as some of the rarer stones are either easier to find or can only be found in pure black world tendency

if you do want to try and get all the trophies it's best playing offline as every time you sign into the server it changes the world tendency to whatever the average is at the time, also have a read of the character tendency section as well as you'll need to change it to get the friend & foe rings